Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Coeur fidèle, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Stand-Up Comedy Lounge

nimimerkillinen

Stand-Up Comedy Lounge

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 27th, 2018, 11:13 am

Coco LaBerge on Mar 27 2018, 03:49:02 AM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Mar 25 2018, 04:47:58 PM wrote:
Coco LaBerge on Mar 25 2018, 04:27:38 PM wrote:Is there anyone funny around at the moment though. Been trying to find something genuinely funny but not so easy. I quite liked Louis CK but his stuff has dried up now he's been outed as a perv. Always liked Lee Mack, and Jimmy Carr.
I'm not familiar with Lee Mack, but if you like Louis CK and Jimmy Carr, check out Jim Jefferies. He does really well in the range of "this would be really offensive if it weren't so fucking funny."
Cool I'll check that out then. I do like 'offensive' comedy. Lee Mack does a lot of physical comedy, voices things like that. Very funny or he was, I've not seen him do anything for ages.
From british guys in similar vein: Sean Lock, his latest wasnt great tho watchable but the few before should be your cup of tea.
From offensive current guys Ari Shaffir might be my favourite, all three of his specials worth watching

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 28th, 2018, 1:03 am

I (re?)watched Jen Kirkman's "I'm Gonna Die Alone (And I Feel Fine)" special from last night, and it reminded me of just how funny she is. I'm a big fan of her second special, Just Keep Living? (2017), and she's just funny. Nothing too inappropriate or offensive, but a lot of her perspective as a divorced single woman in her forties, without relying on the too common topics of "female comediennes". She might be my favorite female comic working today.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 28th, 2018, 1:24 am

is it Just Keep Living? that has the bit about the guy at the bar who doesn't know the difference between lemons and limes? See Something Say Something.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 28th, 2018, 5:37 am

funkybusiness on Mar 27 2018, 07:24:44 PM wrote:is it Just Keep Living? that has the bit about the guy at the bar who doesn't know the difference between lemons and limes? See Something Say Something.
It's actually I'm Gonna Die Alone that has that bit. I related to several parts of that bit... :banana:

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 28th, 2018, 9:27 am

maxwelldeux on Mar 27 2018, 11:37:05 PM wrote:
funkybusiness on Mar 27 2018, 07:24:44 PM wrote:is it Just Keep Living? that has the bit about the guy at the bar who doesn't know the difference between lemons and limes? See Something Say Something.
It's actually I'm Gonna Die Alone that has that bit. I related to several parts of that bit... :banana:
That's a great segment overall. I think the rest of the special is a step down or two from that but that segment is fantastic.

In other news, James Acaster's stand-up special series is out on Netflix now. It's called Repertoire, it's four specials, filmed back to back (like, one immediately after the other, not on different nights). I've watched the first two and it's top-notch stuff so far, essential if you enjoy his style of comedy.
Last edited by funkybusiness on March 28th, 2018, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 28th, 2018, 10:05 am

funkybusiness on Mar 28 2018, 03:27:06 AM wrote:In other news, James Acaster's stand-up special series is out on Netflix now. It's called Repertoire, it's four specials, filmed back to back (like, one immediately after the other, not on different nights). I've watched the first two and it's top-notch stuff so far, essential if you enjoy his style of comedy.
That's actually really good to hear. I'm not familiar with him, but have been kinda avoiding his specials for a bit due to the fact that I wasn't quite sure what it was - who releases multiple specials at once *coughDaveChappelleAsidecough*?!?

I was on the fence, but you tipped me in that direction. I'll probably watch it in the next little bit.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 28th, 2018, 10:20 am

maxwelldeux on Mar 28 2018, 04:05:52 AM wrote:
funkybusiness on Mar 28 2018, 03:27:06 AM wrote:In other news, James Acaster's stand-up special series is out on Netflix now. It's called Repertoire, it's four specials, filmed back to back (like, one immediately after the other, not on different nights). I've watched the first two and it's top-notch stuff so far, essential if you enjoy his style of comedy.
That's actually really good to hear. I'm not familiar with him, but have been kinda avoiding his specials for a bit due to the fact that I wasn't quite sure what it was - who releases multiple specials at once *coughDaveChappelleAsidecough*?!?

I was on the fence, but you tipped me in that direction. I'll probably watch it in the next little bit.
here are a couple clips from a recent episode of Would I Lie to You? He's quite a bit more contained in his stand-up but just as zany and off-beat (and he excels in both forms at playing this back-and-forth game of self-awareness with the audience).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtIXMidu50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct40CLTCC7A

and this segment from an episode of Mock the Week last year about the fatberg is also great (it's not the whole episode, his bit starts ~19min but I started the linked timestamp from the beginning of the segment in case you didn't know what the fatberg situation was all about. his joke at the beginning of the next segment about "what's bothering british tourists" is pretty good too).
https://youtu.be/gAgMJsOk1eQ?t=14m11s
Last edited by funkybusiness on March 28th, 2018, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 23rd, 2018, 3:08 am

I've been watching a bunch of Stand Up this month for the Unofficial challenge (not often do I get them to count for a challenge), but I've been talking about them there, not here. Anyway...

Watched "Marc Maron: Too Real" (Netflix) this evening, and he's never been a comic I particularly enjoyed. But this special is about being old and cynical and having given up on life. And here I am feeling old and pissy, and this is fucking hilarious. It starts out with some Trump humor done in a pretty clever way ("They've legalized hunting in zoos."), then segues into him feeling old. Probably my favorite delivery of his.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 15th, 2018, 8:47 pm

So Bo Burnham's now a director:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eighth_grade/

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » July 16th, 2018, 9:54 am

these were worth watching imo

Ali Wong: Hard Knock Wife
John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 16th, 2018, 10:04 am

Greg Davies latest special was pretty okay.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 18th, 2018, 6:01 am

Watched the newest Jim Jefferies special on Netflix. It's pretty solid - you can definitely see some "maturing" in his comedy, in that it's slightly less irreverent. And it's still funny. But it just didn't click quite as well as other specials he's done. He didn't push the envelope quite as much, and it left me slightly underwhelmed. Of course, this is relative to the high standards I have for him - it was still really good.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » July 18th, 2018, 10:54 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 6:01 am
Watched the newest Jim Jefferies special on Netflix. It's pretty solid - you can definitely see some "maturing" in his comedy, in that it's slightly less irreverent. And it's still funny. But it just didn't click quite as well as other specials he's done. He didn't push the envelope quite as much, and it left me slightly underwhelmed. Of course, this is relative to the high standards I have for him - it was still really good.
I agree, too PC by Jefferies standars. Both the «undercooked chicken» and the Al Pacino & Warren Beatty bit was hilarious though. I laught just as much watching the special like I did live :lol:

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » September 19th, 2018, 3:31 pm

enjoyed new specials
Daniel Sloss: Live Shows
Bert Kreicher: Secret Time

kathulu

Post by kathulu » September 19th, 2018, 11:29 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 23rd, 2017, 6:22 am
I watched Patton Oswalt's "Annihilation" (2017, on Netflix) last night, and it has the distinct honor of being the first stand-up special that made me cry. For those not aware, his wife passed away very suddenly last year (at the age of 46), and is survived by Patton and their 6-year-old daughter. In this special, he addresses that and describes the inhuman pain he went through with his daughter, and finds some humor in those dark moments - humor that brings catharsis to the audience as we take that journey with him.

Beautiful special.
I just saw this thread pop up and I'd like to join in on the appreciation train for Oswalt's special. It was actually... special. I very randomly put it on one night, almost just to have something warble in the background, but found myself glued to the screen, putting away everything I was doing and, yes, crying and laughing and weeping and howling with joy. In fact, I want to watch it again, it's been a while.

I love stand-up very much. I work as a translator, and I do a lot of stand-up specials. Out of everything I translate, stand-up comedy is my favourite. It's a challenge that I hugely enjoy. My favourites to translate are the storytellers, the ones with the long set-up and logical punch-line. The ones who rely on oneliners and word play... My god. Basically I hope I'll never have to touch a Jimmy Carr or a Milton Jones special lol. 1 sentence set-up, 1 sentence punchline is my nightmare.

In terms of your question about favourites - I will always have a special spot in my heart for Bill Hicks. I don't love ALL of his jokes, some of them are even tedious for me (like the ones where he just does obnoxious sound effects), but then at other times he's so painfully poignant. And some things are just so stupid I can't stop laughing ("How can a door... be a jar?" LOLOL this joke never fails me). Of course, the classic about the good news on acid. Ah, Bill. <3 Also, his Bush jokes could literally be copy pasted onto Bush Jr and he wouldn't have to change a thing, it's so weird.

Mitch Hedberg, I love because my sister loves him. Her favourite joke: "I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to too." So good.

George Carlin is obviously a classic that will always make me laugh and wince at the reality of it all. Sharp and relentless. Eternally relevant.

One other special I had on repeat for ages was Izzard's "Glorious". I've never actually seen it - I had it on mp3, and I played it over and over. He's so playful and I love that drone in his voice, and I love the theme of the special as well, with Noah's Ark and Armageddon and all that silly religious nonsense. I saw him live at least twice I think, and I enjoyed so much how he played along with the audience.

The comedian I've seen the most times live (probably 4) is Dylan Moran. He was very prolific in the early 2000s and kept coming back to where I was living, which was great. If I remember correctly, some of his humour was based on the differences of genders which would not fly very well today, but at the time, it was very on point, and his whole stage persona is just so damn hilarious. I was obsessed with "Black Books", I must have seen the first episode like 50 times, I can quote any line ("Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, pretend you're laughing at it." is a huge fave). I'm going to see him now in November and I am very curious to see what's happened to him in the last 10 years and what he's like now. One of my favourite stand-up jokes of his though is about the depressed children ("Oh, it's all these parties...").

If I go even further back, in 2002 or so, me and my ex were obsessed with Robin Williams' "Live on Broadway". We knew it practically by heart and quoted it left and right. Some phrases are still stuck in me as normal reactions because we repeated them so much, haha. ("...oh look at the kitty." or "The shit has hit the fan, motherfucka!") I haven't actually watched it for over a decade, and I have a fear that a lot of the humor hasn't aged well at all, but it will always be special to me.

Of the newer brigade, I really like Bo Burnham. I was skeptical at first when someone showed it to me, because I never feel 100% comfortable with musical comedy, even though I am a musician. I don't trust songs that are supposed to be funny =P But Burnham is very good, and very fresh. I like how light he makes feel even the darkest jokes.

I am angry and upset about the whole Louis CK debacle because he was basically my favourite comedian, I thought, this is it, this is the humor, I'm finally content. I loved like every joke, I thought it was SO incredible how on point he was with his misanthropy and the stories about his kids and the inner workings of us complex human idiots (and how can anyone possibly be shocked that he's done despicable things, he's literally describing how gross he is in full in his routines, come on). And now, there is this huge conflict and I haven't really come to terms yet personally with how to enjoy or even if I should enjoy the works of people who have done bad things (because my god, there is a lot of people who have done a lot of bad things that have also produced fantastic works of art). I haven't participated in any debates about this at all, because it's so convoluted and there are so many opinions everywhere that can basically never co-exist. But anyway, I'll think about it some other time. However, I feel very uncomfortable about loving his stuff at the moment and I haven't seen any of it for ages.

Excuse me, this became a huge "Stand-up: A memoir" post. But stand-up is so great. <3 I realise now as I'm writing this that there is a surreal and palpable lack of female comedians on my list. And being female, that's just curious and even slightly worrying. I have for sure seen many, many female comedians that outright made me laugh and cry and feel things, but evidently, none of their stand-up specials have made a huge impact and made me identify with them and quote them, and that's very interesting. Somehow, I attach myself much more to and identify strongly with female comedians in TV shows and movies, but almost never on a stand-up stage. Also a thing to ponder some other time.

Cinematic history journey: https://twitter.com/Katlovesmovies1

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 20th, 2018, 2:19 am

Heh. Goodness. Not sure I can respond to that point-by-point...

I'm glad you enjoyed the Patton Oswalt Annihilation special - at least I know I'm not alone in crying at it. And I'm really happy for him that he's found love and happiness again.

I'm a little lacking on Bill Hicks - I've only seen a tiny bit of him, but did enjoy what I saw - RIP. Hedberg is great - RIP. Carlin is a legend and always solid - RIP. I like Izzard, but I think I've only seen Dressed to Kill. Haven't seen any Dylan Morran. I loved Robin Williams - I've seen more of his improv than standup, but he's brilliant - RIP. I LOVE Bo Burnham - his Make Happy special blew my mind (I've watched it 9 times). And I definitely share your feelings about Louis CK - his "Chewed Up" special is one of only two stand-up specials I've rated a 10/10 (Make Happy is the other), but it's hard to go back and appreciate him now. That comedic aura is just shattered.

For me, there's two pathways to making a great comedy special - either be RIDICULOUSLY funny, or be really funny and say something of substance. People like Louis CK or Jim Gaffigan are the former - just absolutely hilarious people. People like Bo Burnham or Patton Oswalt are the latter - genuinely funny people who actually make important statements about society.

And then there's female comedians. Kathy Griffin was one of my favorites back in the day - I've seen her life twice, and I think she's the only comedian I've ever seen live. She's hilarious, but since I've stopped following pop culture, a lot of her comedy and appeal is lost on me. My favorite stand-up comedienne right now is Jen Kirkman - I think she's hilarious, and does actually have something to say; I just rewatched her Netflix special "Just Keep Living" and loved it just as much the second time. I'm also a fan of Amy Schumer - her comedy can be hit and miss, but she's got some of the highest highs I've seen (though I think her best comedic work has come on her Comedy Central show). Sarah Silverman also rates pretty high for me - she's great at that offensive brand of comedy that tickles me so.

kathulu

Post by kathulu » September 20th, 2018, 11:07 am

Ahh, thanks for all the female comedian tips! I did translate one of Amy Schumer's specials I think last year, and I thought it was alright, but for some reason I can't remember any of it. I think she makes great points in general, but maybe it's something about her comedy style that doesn't stick with me. I did translate Iliza Schlesinger's one as well, and it made me laugh a lot, even though the male/female dichotomy humour gets a little tedious for me. I definitely need to check out Sarah Silverman, I've heard great things. And Kathy Griffin was great on Whose Line is it Anyway? (which is probably one of my favourite shows, one of the few that really makes me laugh out loud even when I*m alone!). I haven't heard of Jen Kirkman, so definitely checking her out.

For Bill Hicks, I used to listen to "Arizona Bay" a lot, which is what I had on mp3. His Positive drug story and "It's just a ride" are just so wonderful.

Definitely try watching Dylan Moran! I would probably suggest watching "Like, Totally" and "What it is" for starters, they give you a good idea of his persona. And of course, watch "Black Books" (also, for some Bill Bailey! He's such a ball of positive energy).

I forgot to say I do enjoy Ricky Gervais a lot. He's so crass sometimes, and I know he's doing it obviously on purpose, but he makes some incredible points. And back in the day, I know Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy made me laugh a LOT (Chris' guns/bullets bit is unforgettable to me), but I'm worried that again with the stupid male/female dichotomy, that I wouldn't be able to bear it anymore. When it becomes no longer relatable, I struggle.

I saw Daniel Sloss' new specials the other day and I thought they were OK. I wasn't falling off my chair, but I enjoy a good religious bashing and a dark streak, heheh

Cinematic history journey: https://twitter.com/Katlovesmovies1

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » September 20th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Iranian stand-up comedy: https://www.imvbox.com/watch-persian-mo ... khane-taas

Nothing to do with Ionesco except its glorious nonsense. Reminds me a bit of Monty Python Njorl's saga. He does remarkably well to sustain variations on essentially 2 jokes for 35 min. Free if you don't need subs, but I suppose you do.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » September 20th, 2018, 5:42 pm

all proper bill hicks specials are essential imo!

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » December 9th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Bill Burr is doing an European tour early 2019. Got myself a ticket for his show in Berlin. Looking forward to it :)

He is the only left of my three favourite contemporary stand-up comedians to see live. :circle:

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » December 9th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Stand-up comedy is not my thing but I've become a devotee of Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 9th, 2018, 5:21 pm

3eyes wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 4:44 pm
Stand-up comedy is not my thing but I've become a devotee of Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act.
Wife and I have been watching a fair number of these comedy news shows, but haven't gotten to that one yet. Glad to hear it's worth it!

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 13th, 2018, 7:12 pm

new Russel Brand is out, was ok

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 13th, 2018, 9:38 pm

nimimerkillinen wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 7:12 pm
Better or worse than his other stuff? Because he has his moments, but I've never found him super funny.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 14th, 2018, 7:09 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 9:38 pm
nimimerkillinen wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 7:12 pm
Better or worse than his other stuff? Because he has his moments, but I've never found him super funny.
i liked his last one especially but all of them and this was definitely worth watching too imo! hard to say because been years when saw his first ones so could be on par
also liked his recent comedy podcast https://www.radiox.co.uk/radio/podcasts ... x-podcast/ (more episodes on android podcast app)
also his under the skin (mostly political/religion etc) too
have you seen his talk show (on fx i think)? too bad talk show only lasted two seasons

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 5th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Wife and I watched Doug Stanhope: No Place Like Home on a whim last night and we both loved it. It was her first Stanhope special, and I'm glad she got into it. There was quite a bit of talking about mental health care and stigma in the US, done in his hilariously inappropriate witty style. And of course, a holocaust joke that made me laugh out loud so hard that my wife had to pause the show until I stopped laughing.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » April 5th, 2019, 5:46 pm

^ :P
theres new nate bargatze special, interested in seeing that
we will go to see dara o briain this month, he is coming to finland

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 5th, 2019, 5:52 pm

nimimerkillinen wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 5:46 pm
I'm not familiar with either of them... but I'll try and check out Nate Bargatze one of these days...

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » April 5th, 2019, 6:18 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 5:52 pm
nimimerkillinen wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 5:46 pm
I'm not familiar with either of them... but I'll try and check out Nate Bargatze one of these days...
not one of my favourites but liked him anyway
liked daras first 4 but didnt finish his 5th special for some reason
do you watch kill tony? fun live roasty videopodcast. comics put their name to bucket and they get 1 minute if chosen
band dresses up and play / comment in different characters - sounds corny but its very fun mix often
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwzCMi ... zyjWiJaseg

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 9th, 2019, 7:15 am

Anthony Jeselnik's new Netflix special is a mix for me... the joke writing is among the best you'll find, but the delivery and presentation isn't. There's too much silence and joke explaining, nor is there any sort of arc or story to the set. Some hilarious moments, but it's a style you have to dig before you can really appreciate it.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 9th, 2019, 12:18 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 7:15 am
Anthony Jeselnik's new Netflix special is a mix for me... the joke writing is among the best you'll find, but the delivery and presentation isn't. There's too much silence and joke explaining, nor is there any sort of arc or story to the set. Some hilarious moments, but it's a style you have to dig before you can really appreciate it.
I liked his style for the few Comedy Central Roasts that he did, his brand of comedy is tailor-made for "roast humor", but while I've not seen this new special, I'm not as much a fan of him for his full-on stand-up specials.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 9th, 2019, 4:22 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 12:18 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
I liked his style for the few Comedy Central Roasts that he did, his brand of comedy is tailor-made for "roast humor", but while I've not seen this new special, I'm not as much a fan of him for his full-on stand-up specials.
Yeah - he's great on roasts, and I really liked his TV show. When he can quip, he's great, but it's harder to fill out an hour-long set.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 4:22 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 12:18 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
Yeah - he's great on roasts, and I really liked his TV show. When he can quip, he's great, but it's harder to fill out an hour-long set.
Oh yeah, The Jeselnik Offensive! I wasn’t exactly a regular viewer of that show while it was on, but I did catch it fairly frequently. And yeah, that format was also a good fit for his kind of humor. And he was a judge on that Jeff Ross “Roast Battle” show (not sure if they’re still making that show?)

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 9th, 2019, 5:51 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm
Oh yeah, The Jeselnik Offensive! I wasn’t exactly a regular viewer of that show while it was on, but I did catch it fairly frequently. And yeah, that format was also a good fit for his kind of humor. And he was a judge on that Jeff Ross “Roast Battle” show (not sure if they’re still making that show?)
Seems to be a summer thing? So maybe later this summer? I missed last year's season, but I do like the Roast Battles...

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 24th, 2019, 6:34 am

So this may be a weird reference to make out of the blue, but I've been watching a couple Paula Poundstone specials the past days, and I've been really digging her.

I've known her for a long time and have encountered her now and again over the years, but I randomly thought of her the other day and looked up a special on YT. She's hilarious - not the best you'll see, but pretty funny. Wholesome and generally clean, it works pretty well for folks who can appreciate that. But holy shit her crowd work - honestly, if your "best crowd work comedian of all time" conversation does not include Paula Poundstone, you're not talking seriously enough. She's FANTASTIC at that.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 24th, 2019, 1:55 pm

I just listened to Barry Crimmins album "whatever threatens you" the other day and i was blown away. I couldnt believe I'd never heard of the guy!

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 24th, 2019, 2:01 pm

@ maxwelldeux: Did you see Aziz Ansari's latest Netflix special, called "Right Now"? Kinda interesting to see him start off by sort-of addressing that "bad date" controversy that had him wrapped up in the #MeToo discussion a year ago or whenever that was. It was a pretty funny special but kind of a different vibe for him. The presentation was kinda weird, with a hand-held cameraman right up close to him on stage (Spike Jonze directed this, and I think that was Spike himself doing the camerawork on stage the whole time?)

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 24th, 2019, 7:37 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 2:01 pm
@ maxwelldeux: Did you see Aziz Ansari's latest Netflix special, called "Right Now"? Kinda interesting to see him start off by sort-of addressing that "bad date" controversy that had him wrapped up in the #MeToo discussion a year ago or whenever that was. It was a pretty funny special but kind of a different vibe for him. The presentation was kinda weird, with a hand-held cameraman right up close to him on stage (Spike Jonze directed this, and I think that was Spike himself doing the camerawork on stage the whole time?)
I did - I thought he handled that about as well as could be done. I also liked how he discussed how his comedy has changed and why. Overall, I thought it was less funny than his other specials, but had better substance. The camerawork didn't bother me too much, but I was playing video games at the time and mostly listening. :whistling: