Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Stand-Up Comedy Lounge

maxwelldeux
Donator

Stand-Up Comedy Lounge

Post by maxwelldeux » August 25th, 2017, 10:32 pm

I've searched around to no avail, so I'm starting a Stand-Up Comedy Lounge.
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
If I missed on that's already here, please point me in the right direction and I'll delete this duplicate thread.
I'm a big stand-up fan, and love watching new stuff. (I keep track of my viewings here.)

I watched Denis Leary's "No Cure for Cancer" routine from 1996, and loved it. It was one of my first comedy albums, and I still have a soft spot for it. Not all of the humor aged well, but enough of it did that I still enjoyed it and got the nostalgia feel. Plus, "Asshole" is one of my all-time favorite comedy songs (and one I'm not ashamed to admit that I used to have memorized).

So what are some of your favorite stand-up comedians/routines?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » August 25th, 2017, 10:56 pm

Wow, that's an extensive list. But where's George Carlin? Maybe it's just my ctrl/cmd+f which isn't working, but prior to today I wouldn't've thought such a list with so many names, but without his, exists.

Apart from him I like Bo Burnham, Bill Hicks and Louis C.K., but it'll be difficult to convince me to look for other comedians artists, as it takes a special warming up for me to accommodate to someone's style, which I think is scarcely possible given that nowadays I'm more likely to spend more time to other forms of erudition and entertainment. Maybe it's just an unwillingness to change in this respect, since I could readily rewatch anything by those 4 guys even if I had seen it 50 times already.

Anyway, Bo's 'Make Happy' had a big effect on me around exactly a year ago. Apart from all the funny and analytical, it evoked a special kind of poignancy that I hadn't encountered before and wouldn't've expected a stand-up comedy to achieve. For some discussion look here.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on August 25th, 2017, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 25th, 2017, 11:09 pm

Hehe. I've watched a fair amount of Carlin a while ago, but haven't circled back to him since I started keeping track. He's high on my list of comedians to get back to and watch more of.

I'm really glad you mentioned "Make Happy" - that blew my mind. I loved "what.", and had really high expectations for Make Happy, which were exceeded. I think I've watched it 4 times this year (which annoys my wife, because for several days after watching it, I slink around this house randomly chanting "I am not one of you. I am not a human being." just before screaming "YOU KNOW WHAT I AM?!?"). It's like a new vision of what stand-up comedy performance can be.

I tend to be a big fan of specials that are funny, but also say something. Dave Chappelle is one of the best at this - he's hilarious, but underneath the humor there's a positive message.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 26th, 2017, 1:29 am

I liked Carlin's stuff but I haven't watched a ton of it, I should see more.

My favorite stand-ups:

Louis CK ("Hilarious" and "Oh My God" are my favorites, and his latest one "2017" was very good as well)

Norm MacDonald (his recent Netflix special was a disappointment though; his 2011 special "Me Doing Stand-Up" is brilliant)

Dave Chappelle ("Killin' Them Softly" was a classic special, and "For What It's Worth" is another good one. His new Netflix specials from this year were solid but I think he's had much better material)

Patton Oswalt ("Feelin' Kinda Patton" and "Werewolves and Lollipops" are great)

Mitch Hedberg ("Strategic Grill Locations" and "Mitch All Together" - hilarious stuff. This guy was taken from us way too soon).

Some others that I kinda like are Bo Burnham, Patrice O'Neal, and Greg Giraldo (the last two are a couple more comics who died in their prime).
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on August 26th, 2017, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 26th, 2017, 7:24 am

Louis CK is definitely one of my faves - 2017 was a bit of a disappointment for me, as it wasn't as good as some of his other stuff, but still enjoyable.

I agree Norm MacDonald's latest special wasn't great, but I'm not generally a fan of his style of stand-up, so that didn't surprise me too much.

Dave Chappelle's new specials were good (Deep in the Heart of Texas was better, IMHO), but he set such a high bar with his early stuff and Chappelle's Show, that almost anything new he did was going to be a disappointment to many.

I haven't seen those Patton Oswalt ones you mentioned, but I did appreciate Talking for Clapping - though not super funny, it did have a positive message underlying the humor, which I really liked.

Hedberg, Giraldo (who I LOVE), and O'Neal were all definitely taken too soon. RIP.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 26th, 2017, 1:31 pm

seen 144 stand up specials

these are some of my faves

Doug Stanhope, Bill Burr, Louis C.K, Simon Amstell, Ari Shaffir, Sean Lock, Ricky Gervais, Kyle Kinane, Russel Brand, David Cross, Jimmy Carr, Bert Kreischer, Duncan Trussel Paul F. Tompkins, Dara O'Brian, Sarah Millican,

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 26th, 2017, 1:34 pm

what stand-up related podcasts you listen to?

Kill Tony is pretty fun live open mic for 1 min podcast with random guests and stuff
http://www.ustream.tv/Deathsquad worth checking out imo
Duncan Trussel's Family Hour
Ari Shaffir Skeptic Tank
Bill Burr
Joe Rogan Experience
Last edited by nimimerkillinen on August 26th, 2017, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 26th, 2017, 1:37 pm

one of the funnies stories heard in a while
Burt Kreischers 'The Machine' story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paG1-lPtIXA&t

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » August 26th, 2017, 1:50 pm

nimimerkillinen on Aug 26 2017, 07:31:29 AM wrote:these are some of my faves

Doug Stanhope, Bill Burr.
Stanhope is miles a head any living standup comedian imho. Had the pleasure of watching his 150 min+ drunken rambling last time he was in Oslo.

Like you, I do like Burr a lot. Listen to his Monday Morning Podcast all the time. The animated Netflix-series he has created is also decent (F is for Family).

Dag Sørås is another favorite. He is Norwegian, but do shows in English abroad (did a lot of shows with Stanhope last time he was in Europe).
nimimerkillinen on wrote:what stand-up related podcasts you listen to?
It's been a while, but I used to listen to The Doug Stanhope Podcast. Always interesting (at least the early episodes)

While I'm allready here, lounging. I might as well recomend two documentaries about this subject. Both placed high on my 500<400 list.

Call Me Lucky (2015)
A biography about comedian Barry Crimmins. Revealing in detail a dark and painful past that inspired his life-changing campaign of activism in the hope of saving others from a similar experience. (On Netflix)

The Unbookables (2012)
Sean Rouse, Andy Andrist, James Inman +++ turing together in a crappy van in crappy venues with crappy audiences.
Last edited by 72allinncallme on August 26th, 2017, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 26th, 2017, 2:14 pm

72allinncallme on Aug 26 2017, 07:50:24 AM wrote:
nimimerkillinen on Aug 26 2017, 07:31:29 AM wrote:these are some of my faves

Doug Stanhope, Bill Burr.
Stanhope is miles a head any living standup comedian imho. Had the pleasure of watching his 150 min+ drunken rambling last time he was in Oslo.

Like you, I do like Burr a lot. Listen to his Monday Morning Podcast all the time. The animated Netflix-series he has created is also decent (F is for Family).

Dag Sørås is another favorite. He is Norwegian, but do shows in English abroad (did a lot of shows with Stanhope last time he was in Europe).
nimimerkillinen on wrote:what stand-up related podcasts you listen to?
It's been a while, but I used to listen to The Doug Stanhope Podcast. Always interesting (at least the early episodes)
haven't watched f is for family yet since the animations doesnt seem very appealing but will give it a try

was the last time in oslo from 2011 or did he come again? (that filmed Doug Stanhope: Oslo: Burning the Bridge to Nowhere)

ah ye, listened to some of his podcasts too but not many yet

never heard of Dag Sørås but i hope he comes to finland some day, which doesn't seem totally unlikely :P

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 26th, 2017, 5:53 pm

72allinncallme on Aug 26 2017, 07:50:24 AM wrote:While I'm allready here, lounging. I might as well recomend two documentaries about this subject. Both placed high on my 500<400 list.

Call Me Lucky (2015)
A biography about comedian Barry Crimmins. Revealing in detail a dark and painful past that inspired his life-changing campaign of activism in the hope of saving others from a similar experience. (On Netflix)

The Unbookables (2012)
Sean Rouse, Andy Andrist, James Inman +++ turing together in a crappy van in crappy venues with crappy audiences.
Ooh! Thanks for those recommendations! I'm going to have to check those out (and likely add them to my 500<400 list). :cheers:

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » August 26th, 2017, 9:09 pm

@nimi: Last time Stanhope was in Norway/Europe was last year :) have you read his book(Digging Up Mother)? Do recommend listening to it on audible.com (free trial for a month).

I see no one has mentioned (including myself) Jim Jeffries. A brilliant Aussie! :worship:
Last edited by 72allinncallme on August 26th, 2017, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 26th, 2017, 9:24 pm

I can't say that I've delved deep into stand up comedy, but no one beats Dave Chappelle, imo. The first time I watched Killing Them Softly, I literally cried from laughter. Other comedians I like a lot are George Carlin, Bill Burr, Louis CK, Chris Tucker + there's a lot of people I've seen excerpts of, but never really watched their full specials.

As far as podcasts go, I love Joe Rogan Experience, but I started listening to it because of MMA related stuff, not comedy. I'm a big fan of Joe, but unfortunately, I think he's much funnier in his casual conversations than he is in his stand up specials.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » August 27th, 2017, 11:50 am

Just recently saw Wanda Sykes: I'ma Be Me (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1511514/) which was great. I haven't really watched a lot of standup until recently. I even did standup myself about 3 times since Christmas. Still getting into it. Anyway. Would be interested in work on/develop a list like that

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 27th, 2017, 6:19 pm

maxwelldeux on Aug 26 2017, 11:53:40 AM wrote:
72allinncallme on Aug 26 2017, 07:50:24 AM wrote:While I'm allready here, lounging. I might as well recomend two documentaries about this subject. Both placed high on my 500<400 list.

Call Me Lucky (2015)

The Unbookables (2012)
Ooh! Thanks for those recommendations! I'm going to have to check those out (and likely add them to my 500<400 list). :cheers:
I can now offically state that I have watched both of those recommendations and added them both to my 500<400 list.

"Call Me Lucky" was great - it's high up on my list. But that was NOT what I was expecting.
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
About an hour on child sexual abuse? Wasn't the "documentary on a stand-up comedian" I thought...
"The Unbookables" was interesting - I love dark humor, but a lot of that was dark without the humor. It was really interesting to see a different side of stand-up, though.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » August 27th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Glad you found both movies interesting :cheers:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 9th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Just watched (rewatched?) George Carlin's "Jammin' in New York" special from 1992. Nice blend of political and observational humor, and his timing is perfect as always. Not all of the topics aged well (e.g., some of the stuff on climate change), but so much of it was just as poignant today.

Fun fact: This was Carlin's favorite of his own comedy specials.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » September 9th, 2017, 10:15 pm

It's probably my favourite stand-up of his, the most dense in good memorable bits. I wouldn't know which other to recommend immediately, since they're all about equally great.

I don't understand the expression "hasn't aged well", I liked the climate change vain anthropocentrism trashing part myself.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 10th, 2017, 12:20 am

Carmel1379 on Sep 9 2017, 04:15:34 PM wrote:It's probably my favourite stand-up of his, the most dense in good memorable bits. I wouldn't know which other to recommend immediately, since they're all about equally great.

I don't understand the expression "hasn't aged well", I liked the climate change vain anthropocentrism trashing part myself.
The "aged well" phrase is meant to convey how well something works after a period of time (it's a phrase I first heard referring to the taste of beer after it's been aged for a while). For example, to me, Carlin's bits on the terminology around airplanes and airports have aged well; they're just as funny today as they were 25 years ago. And while I enjoyed his bit on climate change, I didn't think it aged well, as we know more about the science of climate change now, and some of what he was saying is wrong (though still amusing as heck).

And like you, I remember his stuff all being great - I'm excited to revisit more stuff with a new perspective.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » September 10th, 2017, 11:19 am

maxwelldeux on Sep 9 2017, 06:20:31 PM wrote:
Carmel1379 on Sep 9 2017, 04:15:34 PM wrote:It's probably my favourite stand-up of his, the most dense in good memorable bits. I wouldn't know which other to recommend immediately, since they're all about equally great.

The "aged well" phrase is meant to convey how well something works after a period of time (it's a phrase I first heard referring to the taste of beer after it's been aged for a while). For example, to me, Carlin's bits on the terminology around airplanes and airports have aged well; they're just as funny today as they were 25 years ago. And while I enjoyed his bit on climate change, I didn't think it aged well, as we know more about the science of climate change now, and some of what he was saying is wrong (though still amusing as heck).

And like you, I remember his stuff all being great - I'm excited to revisit more stuff with a new perspective.
I see, thx. In that case I don't think his climate change bit has not aged well, insofar as him not addressing the science or validity of global warming goes, but rather that children in kindergarten hang cute "save the planet" hand-drawn images on their walls and think throwing plastic bags into the correct bin is going to change anything. He wasn't making a true/false claim, but merely expanding time horizons to show that the Planet has been through a lot (of natural events), that species die every day without human influence [if there's any point that can be contested it's this one, but I don't believe it's wrong], and that within such a supposed scale humans are fairly insignificant, such that us uttering "save the planet" is anthropocentric conceit, because we can be exterminated as any other species. And he said that even if global warming will change things, have an influence on the ecosystem, that will simply be a new paradigm in the stage of the Planet's evolution ("the earth + plastic") and not a catastrophe, i.e. our ethical worries have no importance because the Planet isn't "for-us", it belongs to the ever-changing cold universe that has no special consideration for (the survival of) our egocentric species. And then he gives his thoughts a slightly self-mocking metaphysical spin ("The Big Electron").

I think those should be compelling ideas for today's audiences too, although I'm sure they would've been more difficult to freely communicate and accommodated by the people (but that's another topic).
Last edited by Carmel1379 on September 10th, 2017, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 15th, 2017, 7:17 pm

On a bit of a Carlin kick right now, and watched his "Complaints and Grievances" special from 2001.

This one was filmed in New York just a couple of months after 9/11. He kicked off the special by acknowledging and talking about the "elephant in the room" and making jokes about 9/11. It was very Carlin-esque, yet remained respectful. Really well done special.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 23rd, 2017, 6:22 am

I watched Patton Oswalt's "Annihilation" (2017, on Netflix) last night, and it has the distinct honor of being the first stand-up special that made me cry. For those not aware, his wife passed away very suddenly last year (at the age of 46), and is survived by Patton and their 6-year-old daughter. In this special, he addresses that and describes the inhuman pain he went through with his daughter, and finds some humor in those dark moments - humor that brings catharsis to the audience as we take that journey with him.

Beautiful special.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » November 17th, 2017, 5:00 pm

not a fan of jeff ross but his there roasts have been fun: prison and cops
this seems to be up now: Jeff Ross Roasts the Border: Live from Brownsville, Texas

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 17th, 2017, 7:55 pm

I've seen a little Jeff Ross standup over the years, and it's underwhelming. But his roasting lately has gotten fantastic - I'm not sure I've seen that one, but I'll have to check it out.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » November 17th, 2017, 10:56 pm

maxwelldeux on Nov 17 2017, 12:55:41 PM wrote:I've seen a little Jeff Ross standup over the years, and it's underwhelming. But his roasting lately has gotten fantastic - I'm not sure I've seen that one, but I'll have to check it out.
have you seen the prison ones or/and police roasts?

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » November 18th, 2017, 12:51 am

maxwelldeux on Oct 23 2017, 12:22:08 AM wrote:I watched Patton Oswalt's "Annihilation" (2017, on Netflix) last night, and it has the distinct honor of being the first stand-up special that made me cry. For those not aware, his wife passed away very suddenly last year (at the age of 46), and is survived by Patton and their 6-year-old daughter. In this special, he addresses that and describes the inhuman pain he went through with his daughter, and finds some humor in those dark moments - humor that brings catharsis to the audience as we take that journey with him.

Beautiful special.
Speaking on stand-up that made me tear up. I remember that happened when listening to Tig Notaro's album "Live" from 2013. It was recorded four days after she learned she had breast cancer and just after her mom died from a sudden brain aneurysm. It's a legendary comedy performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kz-lV4 ... y_S_lAZkOT

Unrelated: I'm going to go see Doug Benson tomorrow for a taping of "Doug Loves Movies" podcast.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 18th, 2017, 1:15 am

nimimerkillinen on Nov 17 2017, 03:56:00 PM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Nov 17 2017, 12:55:41 PM wrote:I've seen a little Jeff Ross standup over the years, and it's underwhelming. But his roasting lately has gotten fantastic - I'm not sure I've seen that one, but I'll have to check it out.
No - most of my Jeff Ross of late has been in the form of his Roast Battle TV show.

Are the prison/police ones good? I may have to circle back around to those...

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 18th, 2017, 1:18 am

Kublai Khan on Nov 17 2017, 05:51:25 PM wrote:Speaking on stand-up that made me tear up. I remember that happened when listening to Tig Notaro's album "Live" from 2013. It was recorded four days after she learned she had breast cancer and just after her mom died from a sudden brain aneurysm. It's a legendary comedy performance.

Unrelated: I'm going to go see Doug Benson tomorrow for a taping of "Doug Loves Movies" podcast.
I haven't seen that - but I've watched the Netflix special "Tig", which highlights a lot of the comedy from that performance and delves into her life circumstances there and in the aftermath. Really powerful stuff, and unexpected for me. Going in, I thought it was going to be straight comedy, but feelings cropped up...

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » November 18th, 2017, 10:29 am

maxwelldeux on Nov 17 2017, 06:15:16 PM wrote:
nimimerkillinen on Nov 17 2017, 03:56:00 PM wrote:
No - most of my Jeff Ross of late has been in the form of his Roast Battle TV show.

Are the prison/police ones good? I may have to circle back around to those...
not good but unique, fun and entertaining. watched this boarder thing but wasnt on par with humour aspect, half of it or more was documentary and only 5 min of the comedy was roasting which was clearly the most funny

waiting for next season of roast battle too

sebby

Post by sebby » November 18th, 2017, 11:10 am

Kublai Khan on Nov 17 2017, 05:51:25 PM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Oct 23 2017, 12:22:08 AM wrote:I watched Patton Oswalt's "Annihilation" (2017, on Netflix) last night, and it has the distinct honor of being the first stand-up special that made me cry. For those not aware, his wife passed away very suddenly last year (at the age of 46), and is survived by Patton and their 6-year-old daughter. In this special, he addresses that and describes the inhuman pain he went through with his daughter, and finds some humor in those dark moments - humor that brings catharsis to the audience as we take that journey with him.

Beautiful special.
Speaking on stand-up that made me tear up. I remember that happened when listening to Tig Notaro's album "Live" from 2013. It was recorded four days after she learned she had breast cancer and just after her mom died from a sudden brain aneurysm. It's a legendary comedy performance.

Her comedy is typically a near-miss for me -- both her specials and her writing -- but there's no denying the greatness of that set. Really good stuff.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » January 6th, 2018, 12:46 am

First off all; a million thanks to nimimerkillinen who reminded me of Jeffries going to Europe (l)

I’m on the train home from his show in Oslo and I have to say I loved it alot! He is two weeks from filming his special, and he is getting there... Not better than the two previous specials, but you will enjoy it allot nimi!

I’m dissaponted in the lack of political issues in this round of Mr. Jeffries, but I enjoyed the ride. ( He was sober in Norway(blaiming jetlag/time difference, but I’m sure he will be in form to hi’s Helsinki(?) perfrormance.)

Have fun :party:

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 12th, 2018, 1:51 pm

72allinncallme on Jan 5 2018, 05:46:25 PM wrote:First off all; a million thanks to nimimerkillinen who reminded me of Jeffries going to Europe (l)

I’m on the train home from his show in Oslo and I have to say I loved it alot! He is two weeks from filming his special, and he is getting there... Not better than the two previous specials, but you will enjoy it allot nimi!

I’m dissaponted in the lack of political issues in this round of Mr. Jeffries, but I enjoyed the ride. ( He was sober in Norway(blaiming jetlag/time difference, but I’m sure he will be in form to hi’s Helsinki(?) perfrormance.)

Have fun :party:
Cheers, enjoyed it too!
He was drinking in helsinki, 3 drinks on stage and he invited everyone to local small shitty bar for afterparty (that his finnish driver suggested), didn't end up going to the afterparty (would have wanted tho)

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 12th, 2018, 1:53 pm

New special by Sean Lock was worth watching and there is 2018 special by Tom Segura (Disgraceful) that im interested in seeing

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 14th, 2018, 11:03 am

New special by Ricky Gervais on Netflix

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 14th, 2018, 11:05 pm

nimimerkillinen on Mar 14 2018, 05:03:54 AM wrote:New special by Ricky Gervais on Netflix
I saw that - any good? Have you watched it?

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 15th, 2018, 5:20 am

maxwelldeux on Mar 14 2018, 05:05:51 PM wrote:
nimimerkillinen on Mar 14 2018, 05:03:54 AM wrote:New special by Ricky Gervais on Netflix
I don't know if its because im more depressed etc these days but ive liked his previous stand ups more, was watchable / had its moments tho
Last edited by nimimerkillinen on March 15th, 2018, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 15th, 2018, 11:09 pm

nimimerkillinen on Mar 14 2018, 11:20:51 PM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Mar 14 2018, 05:05:51 PM wrote:
I don't know if its because im more depressed etc these days but ive liked his previous stand ups more, was watchable / had its moments tho
I decided to watch it myself after you posted about it. I thought it was solid. Enjoyable and funny and I certainly laughed quite a bit while watching it, though I tend to agree with you that I've enjoyed other stand-up from him more.

In the beginning when he was discussing various transsexual jokes he's told, I thought he did an amazing job at walking the fine line between OK and Offensive, and stayed on the correct side the whole time. I thought he articulated well how and why these sorts of jokes differ in their offensiveness.

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » March 25th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Is there anyone funny around at the moment though. Been trying to find something genuinely funny but not so easy. I quite liked Louis CK but his stuff has dried up now he's been outed as a perv. Always liked Lee Mack, and Jimmy Carr.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 25th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Coco LaBerge on Mar 25 2018, 04:27:38 PM wrote:Is there anyone funny around at the moment though. Been trying to find something genuinely funny but not so easy. I quite liked Louis CK but his stuff has dried up now he's been outed as a perv. Always liked Lee Mack, and Jimmy Carr.
I'm not familiar with Lee Mack, but if you like Louis CK and Jimmy Carr, check out Jim Jefferies. He does really well in the range of "this would be really offensive if it weren't so fucking funny."

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » March 27th, 2018, 9:49 am

maxwelldeux on Mar 25 2018, 04:47:58 PM wrote:
Coco LaBerge on Mar 25 2018, 04:27:38 PM wrote:Is there anyone funny around at the moment though. Been trying to find something genuinely funny but not so easy. I quite liked Louis CK but his stuff has dried up now he's been outed as a perv. Always liked Lee Mack, and Jimmy Carr.
I'm not familiar with Lee Mack, but if you like Louis CK and Jimmy Carr, check out Jim Jefferies. He does really well in the range of "this would be really offensive if it weren't so fucking funny."
Cool I'll check that out then. I do like 'offensive' comedy. Lee Mack does a lot of physical comedy, voices things like that. Very funny or he was, I've not seen him do anything for ages.