Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Shorts (Results), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Saenghwalui balgyeon, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

Japanese Music

themagician

Japanese Music

Post by themagician » June 9th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Discuss and share Japanese music!

I'll start with some of my favorites:

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant

These guys can't make a bad song. I recommend starting with their "Thee Greatest Hits" album, 32 songs of greatness.

ROSSO

Three solid albums.

The Blondie Plastic Wagon

The rest of the album is quite soft compared to these two songs, but their first album Buffalo Boogies is a little rougher.

Blankey Jet City

Pretty much all of their albums sound the same :/ But worth a listen if you like the sound.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 9th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Nice to see you back again, magician!! :thumbsup:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » June 9th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 9th, 2015, 12:55 pm

That doesn't sound very interesting to me.
I've actually been wondering if there are any other Japanese artists/bands I might like besides the 4-5 electronic ones I know: Yellow Magic Orchestra/Ryuichi Sakamoto, Boom Boom Satellites, Ken Ishii and Towa Tei from Deee-Lite. Thus far Japan has been disappointing in music department

currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Noirville

Post by Noirville » June 9th, 2015, 2:04 pm

BLANKEY JET CITY is great. I love their debut "Red Guitar and the Truth". It's also worth checking out the vocalist's other endeavors, like SHERBETS, PONTIACS and Asai Kenichi solo. It's been said he's the Jack White of Japan but better. It's funny that you say all BLANKEY's songs sound the same while the same can be said for the TMGE output but I guess it's just a matter of preference. I like that group too.

Japan has a rich history in music and I feel much of the good stuff is hidden away in Tokyo's record stores and never sees the light of day internationally. Aside from a few oddities I mostly know the well known and popular music too.

Solo women: Maki Asakawa, Morita Doji, Sai Yoshiko, Hako Yamasaki, Meiko Kaji
Morita DojiShow
Metal/rock: SEIKIMA-II, early X Japan (pre-1994 or so), Dir en grey from time to time (Uroboros is their magnum opus), Loudness in the 80's, DEAD END's late 80's run before they broke up in 1990, Carmen Maki&OZ (selftitled album from 1975 is a little gem)
Dir en greyShow
I also enjoy SOFT BALLET, BUCK-TICK, LUNA SEA, Uchoten, BOØWY, Tokyo Jihen (+Shiina Ringo solo) and Jun Togawa with her groups Yapoos and Guernica. And "shibuya-kei": Pizzicato Five, ORIGINAL LOVE and Flipper's Guitar. I don't know my genres very specifically and I don't really care as long as I enjoy the music.
Pizzicato Five, ORIGINAL LOVEShow

Last edited by Noirville on June 9th, 2015, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themagician

Post by themagician » June 9th, 2015, 4:03 pm

Noirville on Jun 9 2015, 08:04:09 AM wrote:It's funny that you say all BLANKEY's songs sound the same while the same can be said for the TMGE output but I guess it's just a matter of preference. I like that group too.
Maybe I was just a little disappointed when I listened to the first 8 of their albums yesterday and I couldn't really tell when the album changed. I think I still have one album to go, Harlem Jets. I still like that band and the music though.

Anyway, trying to find some interesting girl bands / female leads, here's a few of the better ones I've come across:

Midori

According to RYM: Art Punk, Jazz Fusion, Hardcore Punk, J-Pop. Sounds pretty interesting.

Miki Furukawa

According to RYM: Alternative Rock, Dream Pop, Shoegaze, Electronic. Sounds quite nice, but the rest of the album isn't really that good...

Tsushimamire

According to Wikipedia: Punk rock, art punk, pop punk, indie rock. I like that the vocals aren't clean.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » June 9th, 2015, 4:22 pm

I'll listen to your songs later, thanks. I'm not so familiar with Japanese music. I'll just mention an interesting experimental rock band I recently discovered called Boredoms.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on June 9th, 2015, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » June 10th, 2015, 5:00 pm

I like a lot of music from anime, but other than that I don't spend much time trying to search for Japanese music. I don't keep track of my favorites, so making a list would be difficult, so I'll just use this as an excuse to post this one link:

The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGCrrPlJpYY

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » June 10th, 2015, 6:13 pm

For those of you who like Progressive Metal, check out Gonin-Ish :

Last edited by clemmetarey on June 10th, 2015, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 11th, 2015, 11:37 pm

Nice postings bal3x!
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » June 12th, 2015, 10:07 am

Armoreska on Jun 11 2015, 05:37:14 PM wrote:Nice postings bal3x!
:cheers: didn't realize you're into prog ;)
btw, Art mentioned this band on another thread, most of the album is on YT, I've been listening to it, some very good psychedelic stuff.

Also here: https://gurugurubrain.bandcamp.com/album/gypsy-house
Last edited by bal3x on June 12th, 2015, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

themagician

Post by themagician » June 15th, 2015, 4:13 pm

So, Midori is pretty great. My favorite is probably THIS.

Miki Furukawa was nothing special... Her second album was a bit more dream pop/shoegaze.

Tsushimamire is okay, but all their albums sound the same.

New one I've discovered:

eX-Girl

Experimental Rock

They claim to be from the planet "kerokero" which is a Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a frog makes. Frogs seem to be a recurrent subject on their albums. They make some pretty awesome music too. Their cover of Pop Muzik is especially good:

eX-Girl playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6YZ_MbV469

Have a listen to: Hettakorii No Ottokotou (this song is pretty insane), Cucumber Surrender, Waving Scientist @ Frog King, Crime of the Century, Zero Gravity...

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » June 15th, 2015, 8:54 pm

Theme from Ukigumo is beautiful, glad I could find it.

themagician

Post by themagician » August 29th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Melt-Banana is pretty sick. Apparently they sing in English but I have no idea what they're saying. Definitely need lyrics. You can also find some of their live performances on YT.

Last edited by themagician on August 29th, 2015, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chilton

Post by Chilton » August 29th, 2015, 5:34 pm

I know very little Japanese music, but this right here is one of the greatest things ever :wub:

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 29th, 2015, 5:40 pm

I didn't know themagician was into noise rock/grindcore o.o

Wonder if you'll ever explore the Japanese Harsh Noise scene lol (or Japanoise)
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 29th, 2015, 5:45 pm

Here's a taste of one of the extreme Japanoise groups (most people don't like them. imo they range from shitty to awesome). Although this probably belongs in the strange things thread
nsfwShow
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

bobbybrown

Post by bobbybrown » August 29th, 2015, 8:34 pm

@themagician: I recall from browsing RYM some years ago that those who enjoyed Melt-Banana were also into Mainliner, Acid Mothers Temple and Ruins, though I haven't listened to those myself. And check out Ground Zero, their stuff is ridiculously good, esp. Consume Red - can be a truly cathartic experience if you set aside some time for it and let it build up for some time. From what I can remember their Revolutionary Pekinese Opera is great too.

Haven't heard much else from Japan. Once an LP by Betsuni Nanmo Klezmer (Japanese big-band klezmer) fell into my hands, boy that was a blast. Not much by them on youtube, but this one is fantastic, they start rather slow with a mix of mournful klezmer and what seems like more traditional Japanese singing style and then burst into an incredibly wild and lively drunken wedding party tune. Lechayim!

Oh yeah, @ArthurYanthar, there once was a funny period in my life when I was using Merzbow's Venereology almost every day as a mind-numbing drug, worked pretty well. I think I still can hum by memory two thirds of this little ditty:

wasabi

Post by wasabi » August 16th, 2019, 1:55 am

mjf314 wrote:
June 10th, 2015, 5:00 pm
I like a lot of music from anime, but other than that I don't spend much time trying to search for Japanese music. I don't keep track of my favorites, so making a list would be difficult, so I'll just use this as an excuse to post this one link:

The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGCrrPlJpYY
The link didn't work anymore.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 16th, 2019, 2:13 am

wasabi wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 1:55 am
mjf314 wrote:
June 10th, 2015, 5:00 pm

The link didn't work anymore.
I think this might be the same music but I'm not sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UlHTcyGnqY

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 16th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Im listening to Boris who are play stoner and other kinds of metal

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » August 16th, 2019, 8:43 pm

I did listen to this band, though: