Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

What podcasts do you follow?

watchayakan

What podcasts do you follow?

Post by watchayakan » December 11th, 2014, 4:39 am

Earlier this year I decided to add another medium to my pop culture plate and I don't know why I haven't been into it sooner. I've gone through all of the improv4humans episodes and started working on Comedy Bang! Bang! the other week. As for newer ones I listen to Hollywood Handbook, Maltin on Movies, and Serial. I imagine everyone has heard of Serial and Maltin is a delight to listen to talk about movies. Also, he actually spends the entire time talking about movies, there's not tangents into his own life or random anecdotes; I think he has only told the odd anecdote about his work itself.

The best is probably i4h and I feel ashamed that I thought Whose Line was what improv really was.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » February 4th, 2015, 7:48 am

Goes without saying (until now), but Doug Loves Movies is a great comedy/film podcast.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » February 4th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Film/TV-related:

The /Filmcast
The Tobolowsky Files
A Cast of Kings: A Game of Thrones Podcast
Filmspotting
Filmspotting: SVU
The Projection Booth

While all the other mostly talk about new releases, The Projection Booth talks about older movies, often classics and B-movies. I'm not sure how recommendable these podcasts are to people on this forum because it does feature a lot of mainstream films, /Filmcast in particular. I've been following these podcasts for many years and the hosts have kind of become movie buddies for me as weird as that sounds. /Filmcast has got even better with the inclusion of Jeff Cannata in the last year or so. If you are afraid of spoilers of movies you should perhaps stay away from Filmspotting as Adam Kempenaar in particular isn't careful enough I find. /Filmcast are VERY cautious about spoiling movies and split their reviews in a non-spoiler and spoiler section.

Other
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
F1 Rejects Podcast
Serial

Serial is very addictive and I look forward to its next season.

Hardcore History has been talked about on this forum before and I can recommend it to anyone. History show that can get just about anyone interested in history. Dan Carlin is an excellent storyteller and he does a very good and balanced job of telling about military history in particular, and you get a very good view of a certain topic (say the Punic Wars) but also you get some very cool and interesting side-stories to that piece of history that you might not have heard before at all, which might put things in a different perspective. The episodes are pretty long usually (3-5 hours) and only comes out about once every two-three months, but I usually listen to each episode about 5-10 times still. It's just that good. He's currently attempting to cover WW1. He started that in 2013 and he's currently 5 episodes (19 hours) in and not even close to finishing. I'd highly recommend his show on the Eastern Front of WW2 ("Ghosts of the Ostfront") which is about six hours in total spread over four episodes.

I haven't yet started on Mike Duncan's Revolutions, a podcast about the revolutions in history. His History of Rome podcast is a legendary epic (73 hours, 179 episodes). His style is a lot drier than Dan Carlin's, but you warm up to him and his dry humor.

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » February 5th, 2015, 6:18 am

Two that I enjoy quite a bit

The Canon

How Did This Get Made?

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » June 6th, 2015, 5:54 am

VincentPrice on Feb 4 2015, 11:18:55 PM wrote:Two that I enjoy quite a bit

The Canon

How Did This Get Made?
You might also enjoy The Flophouse. It is similar to (and pre-dates) HDTGM, and it's done by 2 writers of the Daily Show (with Jon Stewart).

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » August 4th, 2015, 2:55 am

I'm a Radiolab junkie. It's ridiculous how addictive it can be.

This American Life is also great.

I also follow a bunch of french podcast from Radio France Culture. Good stuff.
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » October 23rd, 2015, 2:00 am

Does anyone else listen the You Must Remember This podcast? It's a really well done one-hour podcast about the history of Hollywood.
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

slylingual24

Post by slylingual24 » August 26th, 2017, 5:42 pm

I've never really been much for podcasts but i have recently found one that I really enjoy in "The DIrector's Cut." Any of you familiar and know of any that are relatively similar?

max-scl

Post by max-scl » August 26th, 2017, 5:58 pm

2 in spanish:

Flimcast (Mainstream movies and TV Series)

Civilcinema (Arthouse)

Both very good, they go very deep in whatever movies they talk about and always make me see new things about any film.

jgwr

Post by jgwr » August 27th, 2017, 9:17 am

God Awful Movies and, to a lesser extent, Late Seating.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 14th, 2018, 1:54 am

I’ve never really listened to podcasts (except the Ricky Gervais one obviously), but I went looking for stuff to listen to while I’m walking around my room getting steps and have started listening to Philosophize This. I’ve heard a lot of the theories and quotes and stuff but had no context so I’m enjoying it as part history lesson and part expanding my knowledge of philosophy without having to read a lot of dry stuff. Took a while to get into it as I don’t particularly like the guy, but I listened to the first Aristotle episode yesterday and feel like it’s getting better.

I wanted a film podcast originally but everything was basically ‘3 neckbeards laugh at films’ which I couldn’t care less about, though I saw some recs in the cinephile podcast list to check out that seem to be more along the lines of what I want (academic stuff, and history related stuff). I also plan on checking out that Hardcore History one.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 14th, 2018, 5:56 am

if you like hardcore history, check out Daniele Bolelli History on Fire too (Dan likes it also)

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » December 22nd, 2018, 6:05 am

I've been liking "Our Fake History" which is a fun little Canadian history podcast.

Film-wise, I'll second that "God Awful Movies" is great. "Movie Sign with the Mads" is decent, but I think I only keep listening because I loved MST3K and it's hosted by TV's Frank and Forrester.

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » May 5th, 2019, 11:31 am

I generally don't follow any podcasts. Not sure why. I tend to find and listen to them as they pop up and today this one from The Guardian with sound recordist Chris Watson. It's interesting because I always thought the seal sounds from Encounters at the End of the World were done with contact mics on the ice as part of an Ecstasy of Truth type thing - but there are similar seal sounds recorded here with underwater mics so maybe it turns out they are real!
https://www.theguardian.com/science/aud ... =hootsuite

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 5th, 2019, 11:43 am

I'm getting more and more addicted to podcasts. I've barely listened to any music for the last year because if I'm walking/on the road/doing chores I'd just much rather have a podcast in my ears.

My main ones:

Casefile, and various other true crime ones
Kermode & Mayo
BBC Documentary Podcast
This American Life
Gilmore Guys (technically finished, but I still listen to episodes sometimes)
You Must Remember This

The masterpiece of podcasts is definitely S-Town, but it's a short stand-alone piece.
Last edited by flaiky on May 6th, 2019, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 6th, 2019, 10:58 am

just a vegan one on YouTube: Earthling Ed's debates - there's like 6 episodes so far
not interested in and never heard any others - and hoping not to be since I don't want to steal any more time from music
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo