Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

What are you listening to right now?

Cocoa
Donator

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Cocoa » January 4th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Lizzo - Juice

First bop of 2019 I love (l)

RBG

Post by RBG » January 4th, 2019, 4:49 pm

rnilsson19 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:18 pm
RBG wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 5:36 pm
Love this track, it's used to fantastic effect in Assayas' Something in the Air.
oooh thx for the tip, need to see more assayas. also thx gruesometwosome, added blood orange to my spotify mix :party:

and lizzo! :wub: i remember her phone song tehe
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 4th, 2019, 4:53 pm

bal3x wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:09 pm
joachimt wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 7:44 am
There's a DT-hating community everywhere. :angry:
DT is probably one of the most hated bands ever, I don't even know why that is (I mean surely there are MUCH worse bands out there...), but it seems to me that a lot of people are just "following a trend" and don't even have a clue what they are actually hating on... many have not listened to a single album... that's a thing I've noticed with a lot of art, including films. I'm not a fan of DT, but I sort of feel sorry for those guys :lol:
On the other hand they have a huge fanbase that accept everything they do. They sell out huge venues and are doing fine financially as gar as I know. No need to feel sorry. It's still one of the biggest progmetal bands ever.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 4th, 2019, 5:09 pm

RBG wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:49 pm
oooh thx for the tip, need to see more assayas. also thx gruesometwosome, added blood orange to my spotify mix :party:
No problem! I love Dev Hynes/Blood Orange, a lot of great tracks on that Cupid Deluxe album in particular. :thumbsup:
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 4th, 2019, 5:10 pm

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 4th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Forgot this existed. That's Bjork from the Sugarcubes era.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 4th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Armoreska wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 7:43 pm
Forgot this existed. That's Bjork from the Sugarcubes era.
Yeah I just found it in the last week. Lovely track and pretty cool video, Bjork being cute as ever.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 5th, 2019, 12:52 am

That must be my fav song of theirs outside of the 90 album, and this:

completely differently,

currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

RBG

Post by RBG » January 5th, 2019, 9:07 pm

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » January 5th, 2019, 9:08 pm

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 8th, 2019, 6:00 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 10th, 2019, 1:57 am

I feel like I'm the last person in the world to hear about Kamasi Washington. It makes me ask myself what I've been doing for the past three years (the answer is teaching and little else).

Anyway, if someday I end up trapped in a prison. And if I find a way to escape that involves making my own home-made and human-powered wings. And if I then ignore warnings about flying to close to the sun, this is the song I want playing as my wings disintegrate and I plunge into the sea.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 10th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Starting to get the winter blues...needed a shimmering, summer-y pop song:

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

RBG

Post by RBG » January 10th, 2019, 6:04 pm

bossa nova is my go to for that summer feeling

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 10th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Bjork - Homogenic

I've only listened to her four first albums so far, but the third and fourth one are by far her best.
Last edited by Lakigigar on January 10th, 2019, 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 10th, 2019, 6:18 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 6:14 pm
Bjork - Homogenic

I've only listened to her four first albums so far, but the third and fourth one are by far her best.
Agreed, Homogenic and Vespertine are better start-to-finish than Debut and Post (there are a couple of somewhat skippable tracks on those two, whereas Homogenic and Vespertine I always play all the way through).

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 10th, 2019, 6:22 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 6:18 pm
Lakigigar wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 6:14 pm
Bjork - Homogenic

Agreed, Homogenic and Vespertine are better start-to-finish than Debut and Post (there are a couple of somewhat skippable tracks on those two, whereas Homogenic and Vespertine I always play all the way through).
Yes, i do the same thing probably. I need to hear Debut and Post again, but there are way more forgettable tracks on them, while on Homogenic her track record is strong. I might listen Vespertine now again (for third or fourth time already).

This is SO BEAUTIFUL, haha. Why is Braids so underrated :(

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 10th, 2019, 8:27 pm

KÁRYYN is Karin Tatoyan, a Syrian-Armenian American composer turned electronic artist, based in Los Angeles, CA. Her debut EP Quanta 1 was released in early 2017 and includes the single "Aleppo", a four-minute lament “all about the brain processing memory” that recalls, in the track as well as its home-video style accompanying visual, childhood stays in the city with her cousins. “I wrote this song in 2015 during a time when the word or the name Aleppo wasn’t being said very often,” she explains. Her music and multimedia work (including "Of Light", a multimedia project with American director Samantha Shay inspired by her mentor Marina Abramovic) has been praised by Björk, and she cites John Tavener and Arvo Pärt as influences.

It might be too abstract or not perfect, but i like it.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 11th, 2019, 1:51 am

there was a category on tonight's episode of Jeopardy named after/based around this song. I imagine the reference was lost on a typical Jeopardy audience. (No masturbation references in the jeopardy questions tho).

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 14th, 2019, 3:59 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 14th, 2019, 4:20 pm

It's in line with my belief that retro-hype broadly operates in a sliding window of 30 years, but never could I have imagined that there would be a reboot of the mellow/happy hardcore culture.

The full Soundcloud archive

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 14th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Onderhond wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:20 pm
It's in line with my belief that retro-hype broadly operates in a sliding window of 30 years, but never could I have imagined that there would be a reboot of the mellow/happy hardcore culture.
I can't agree more with you. For that matter I instantly liked the RetroWave subgenre I recently discovered:

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 14th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Mario Gaborović wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:25 pm
I can't agree more with you. For that matter I instantly liked the RetroWave subgenre I recently discovered:
I'm afraid you're a bit late with that though, since we're already leaving the 80s behind us again while transitioning to 90s retro :D Films are starting to go the same way, but they are traditionally slower in adopting hypes.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 14th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Onderhond wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Mario Gaborović wrote:
I'm afraid you're a bit late with that though, since we're already leaving the 80s behind us again while transitioning to 90s retro :D Films are starting to go the same way, but they are traditionally slower in adopting hypes.
Oh fuck, then. :facepalm: I hated Coco Jumbo and all that crap, despite being open-minded. For me it was all about Nirvana back then.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 14th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Mario Gaborović wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:34 pm
Onderhond wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Mario Gaborović wrote:
Oh fuck, then. :facepalm: I hated Coco Jumbo and all that crap, despite being open-minded. For me it was all about Nirvana back then.
Some kids are still walking around with Nirvana-shirts, so maybe the revival won't only consist of happy hardcore crap.
ICM-profile

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 14th, 2019, 8:17 pm

No worries, there will be plenty of old farts overstating the importance of 90s pop bands, claiming it was the best music ever made while dissing contemporary music in the same swoop of ill-advised nostalgia.

Definitely something to look forward to 😁

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 14th, 2019, 8:51 pm

If I’m still around circa 2075, it should be funny to hear old farts at the nursing home blasting the ol’ timey Death Grips.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 23rd, 2019, 9:50 pm

Perfect heavy metal intro song (the next on on the album wasn't that great tho)

better follow with

Moby - Broken Places

Nirvana - Plateau
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 25th, 2019, 12:27 am

I watched Animal Factory (2000) last night, which is a prison drama featuring Willem Dafoe and directed by Steve Buscemi. Immediately afterwards, I thought, well that was all right. But over the past 24 hours, my mind keeps going back to it. And the more I think about it, the more impressed I am. It fits the formula of a certain type of movie I like, which I can best describe as well-acted authentic characters in low-key dramatic situations. My mind always goes back to John Sayles when I write something like that, but I've written enough about Sayles elsewhere in this forum. Another more obvious point of comparison is Buscemi's own directorial debut, Trees Lounge (1996). Anyway, the crux of the movie is the character played by Dafoe, a prison lifer who is tough and dangerous but also desperate for a certain kind of tenderness in his life. We learn about him mostly through his interactions with a young prison protege he mentors, played by Ed Furlong, but the first important glimpse into the complexity of Dafoe's character comes here:

I was confused by this scene at first, and it took me a whole day of thinking to sort of understand what it is saying about Dafoe's character.

Anyway, I highly recommend the movie (it's on amazon prime), but the reason I mention it here is that song kind of grabbed me too, which is odd because it has a lot of characteristics that would normally really turn me off: over-tremulous voicing, an open-mic night kind of mannered emotiveness, a bit discordant instrumentals. But like the movie, I've really come around to it. And it turns out the singer is the leader of a relatively well-known band. Here's the full studio version of the song. I think I've listened to it eight times today.

Last question, has anyone seen Buscemi's other two movies: Lonesome Jim and Interview? Would you recommend?

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 30th, 2019, 2:38 am

Why isn't everything like this?

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 2nd, 2019, 1:52 am

One of Marilyn Manson’s more under-appreciated gems:

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » February 2nd, 2019, 7:38 pm

Ladytron released their latest album yesterday on PledgeMusic, so I've been listening to that. Not entirely sure how I feel about it because they hadn't released an album since 2011 and some of the songs sounds more similar to the lead singer's (Marnie) solo albums. I like all the songs though (l) But I don't think I have a favorite that stands out above the rest. Tower of Glass (l) Paper Highways (l) The Mountain (l) Far From Home (l)

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 2nd, 2019, 10:03 pm

The new Xiu Xiu album is quite a grower but it's becoming one of my favourite of theirs.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 4th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Found 4th Kino song to love. Thanks to the movie I didn't enjoy much.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 8th, 2019, 1:19 pm

blocho wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 12:27 am
And it turns out the singer is the leader of a relatively well-known band.
I prefer him in Hercules & Love Affair's megasong Blind
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 8th, 2019, 1:54 pm

This album never gets boring:

ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 8th, 2019, 1:59 pm

btw I finished Dream Theater and don't recall enjoying anything post-90s :(
Haven't had a pleasure of listening to Townsend, but it's on the list.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 8th, 2019, 6:16 pm

:satstunned: This is like Tom Waits rapping over a bluesy Black Sabbath riff. This is the mid 90s too.