Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jun 30th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Roar, July nominations (Jun 25th)

Film Literature Index

Kowry

Film Literature Index

Post by Kowry »

An attempt at making it easier for forum members to find film-related reading.

Books that are generally considered essential reading on the subject and/or have been recommended by several forum members appear in boldface.

Obviously the list is very much a work in progress and far from extensive - basically going through my book shelf and to-read list -, and all recommendations are very welcome. But it will get better! Unsure whether I should list books like the 1001 greatest movies or 500 Essential Cult Films. It would be nice if a mod could pin this.

General film history
Thomas Schatz: The Genius of the System: Hollywood Filmmaking in the Studio Era (1988)
Thomas Schatz, Hollywood Genres (1981)
Peter Biskind: Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock 'N Roll Generation Saved Hollywood (1997)
Thomas Doherty: Pre-Code Hollywood: Sex, Immorality, and Insurrection in American Cinema; 1930-1934 (1999)
Mark A. Vieira: Sin in Soft Focus: Pre-Code Hollywood (1999)
A History of Russian Cinema (Birgit Beumers, 1999)
Film After Film: (Or, What Became of 21st Century Cinema?) (Hoberman, 2012)
The Story of Film (Mark Cousins, 2004)

Film theory
Leo Braudy and Marshall Cohen (edited by): Film Theory & Criticism

Autobiographical
Sidney Lumet: Making Movies (1995)
Lloyd Kaufman: All I Need to Know about Filmmaking I Learned from The Toxic Avenger (1988)
John Waters: Shock Value (1981)
Bruce Campbell: If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor (2001)
Howard Hawks: Hawks on Hawks (1982)
Orson Welles: This Is Orson Welles (1992)

Biography (non-autobiographical)
Tag Gallagher: John Ford: The Man and His Films (1986)

Horror and Exploitation
Jasper Sharp: Behind the Pink Curtain: The Complete History of Japanese Sex Cinema (2008)
Harvey Fenton: Ten Years Of Terror: British Horror Films Of The 1970s (2000?)
Jason Zinoman: Shock Value: How a Few Eccentric Outsiders Gave Us Nightmares, Conquered Hollywood, and Invented Modern Horror (2011)

Western
Christopher Frayling: Spaghetti westerns - Cowboys and Europeans from Karl May to Sergio Leone (1981)
Howard Hughes: Spaghetti Westerns (2010)
Alex Cox: 10,000 Ways to Die: A Director's Take on the Spaghetti Western (2009)
Kevin Grant, Any Gun can Play: The Essential Guide to Euro-Westerns (2011)

Other
Kenneth Anger: Hollywood Babylon (1987)
Past Imperfect: History According to the Movies (1996, Carnes & co.)

Obviously the list is very much a work in progress and far from extensive - basically going through my book shelf and to-read list -, and all recommendations are very welcome. But it will get better! Unsure whether I should list books like the 1001 greatest movies or 500 Essential Cult Films. It would be nice if a mod could pin this.
Last edited by Kowry on September 10th, 2014, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

OK, books I have on hand (and have more or less read):

Michael Haas, ed. Hollywood raises political consciousness: Political messages in feature films (2014). Colliection of essays by various authors. (Editor is president of the Political Film Society.)

J. Hoberman, Film after film; or, what became of 21st Century Cinema?
(2012).

Mark C. Carnes, ed. Past Imperfect: History according to the Movies. (rev ed 1996). Collection of essays by various historians and critics discussing the historical accuracy or lack thereof of various "historical" films (mostly, but not all, Hollywood).

Birgit Beumers, A history of Russian Cinema (2009)

Parviz Jahed, ed. Directory of World Cinema [vol 10]: Iran. (2012)

John H. Lenihan, Showdown: Confronting modern America in the Western Film (1980). How Westerns reflect the changing political ambience of the times, from the 40s thru the 70s.

Kevin Grant, Any Gun can Play: The Essential Guide to Euro-Westerns (2011)

Tom Zaniello, The cinema of globalization: a guide to films about the new economic order (2007). Includes feature films, but documentaries predominate. Films listed alphabetically with topical index.

This next one is in the spiritual ballpark. I haven't worked with it, mainly because it would involve a lot of rewatching. Dunno if anyone is interested, but I include it here in case:

John Pungente and Monty Williams (both SJ), Finding God in the dark: taking the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius to the movies (2004).

@Kowry: Thanks for starting this thread. I reckon the categorization will have to be modified after enough bibliography has been assembled. I was once a library cataloguer, for what that might be worth.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

If people are interested in film theory, this book, in my experience, is the most commonly used intro at universities here. Caution: many of the essays are quite heady, so it's not casual reading.

Film Theory & Criticism
Eds. Leo Braudy and Marshall Cohen
Kowry

Post by Kowry »

3eyes on Aug 16 2014, 11:17:33 AM wrote:@Kowry: Thanks for starting this thread. I reckon the categorization will have to be modified after enough bibliography has been assembled. I was once a library cataloguer, for what that might be worth.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the categories, they will probably change a bit. Feel free to suggest other categorizations.

And thanks for the book suggestions, 3eyes and Local.
Last edited by Kowry on August 16th, 2014, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

Don't forget Mark Cousins' book The Story of Film. :)
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
Cinephile

Post by Cinephile »

The greatest and most important books about cinema as an artform are: Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “American Dreaming: The Films of John Cassavetes and the American Experience,” (Berkeley and Los Angeles, California and London: University of California Press, 1985); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Acknowledgments,” “Contents,” “Introduction,” “A Brief Chronology of Adams’ Life,” “A Note on the Text,” “Notes,” “Glossary of Architectural Terms,” “Suggestions for Further Reading,” and “Index,” To: Adams, Henry Brooks Frances Snow Compton, “Mont Saint Michel and Chartres,” (Penguin Classics, New York, New York, Markham and Toronto, Ontario, Harmondsworth, London, Dublin, Ringwood and Camberwell, Victoria, New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Auckland, North Shore, and Johannesburg: Viking Penguin Books and Pearson, 1986), Pp. v–vi, vii–viii, ix–xxxviii, xxxix–xl, xli–xlii, 361–376, 377–379, 380, and 381–398; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “American Vision: The Films of Frank Capra,” (Cambridge, London, New York and New Rochelle, New York, Oakleigh and Melbourne, Victoria, and Sydney, New South Wales: Cambridge University Press, 1986); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Speaking the Language of Desire: The Films of Carl Dreyer,” (Cambridge, New York and New Rochelle, New York, Oakleigh and Melbourne, Victoria, and Sydney, New South Wales: Cambridge University Press, 1989); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “The Films of John Cassavetes: Pragmatism, Modernism, and the Movies,” (Photographs: Shaw, Samuel and Shaw, Larry, Cambridge Film Classics, General Editor: Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, Cambridge, New York, New York, Oakleigh, Melbourne, and Port Melbourne, Victoria, Madrid, Cape Town, Singapura, São Paulo, São Paulo, Delhi and New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Dubai, Dubai, Tôkyô, and México, Distrito Federal: Cambridge University Press, 1994); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Escape Velocity: Notes on Beat Film,” “The Beat Movement in Film: A Comprehensive Screening List,” and “No Exit: John Cassavetes’ Shadows,” In: Phillips, Lisa, (Editor), “Beat Culture and the New America: 1950–1965,” (New York, New York and Paris: Whitney Museum of American Art and Éditions Flammarion, 1995), Pp. 190–209, 210–214, and 235–243; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “When Mind Is a Verb: Thomas Eakins and the Work of Doing,” In: Dickstein, Morris, (Editor), “The Revival of Pragmatism: New Essays on Social Thought, Law, and Culture,” (Post-Contemporary Interventions, Series Editors: Fish, Stanley Eugene and Jameson, Fredric Ruff, Durham, North Carolina and London: Duke University Press, 1998), Pp. 377–403; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Two Forms of Cinematic Modernism: Notes Toward a Pragmatic Aesthetic,” In: Ludington, Charles Townsend, Junior, (Editor), and Fahy, Thomas Richard and Reuning, Sarah Patrick, (Assistant Editors), “A Modern Mosaic: Art and Modernism in the United States,” (Chapel Hill, North Carolina and London: University of North Carolina Press, 2000), Pp. 357–416; Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior and Quart, Leonard, “The Films of Mike Leigh: Embracing the World,” (Cambridge Film Classics, General Editor: Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, Cambridge, New York, New York, Oakleigh, Melbourne, and Port Melbourne, Victoria, Madrid, Cape Town, Singapura, São Paulo, São Paulo, Delhi and New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Dubai, Dubai, Tôkyô, and México, Distrito Federal: Cambridge University Press, 2000); Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, (Editor), “Cassavetes on Cassavetes,” (London and New York, New York: Faber and Faber and Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2001); and Carney, Raymond Francis, Junior, “Shadows,” (British Film Institute Film Classics, Series Editor: White, Robert Hanley Gregor, Series Consultants: Buscombe, Edward, MacCabe, Colin Myles Joseph, and Meeker, David, London, Basingstoke, Bloomington, Indiana, and Berkeley, California: British Film Institute Publishing, Palgrave Macmillan, Indiana University Press, and University of California Press, 2001). These books, authored by the person whom I consider as the most important theoretician and scholar of cinema as an artform, have completely changed the way in which I view the medium.