Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

The TV Lounge

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

beasterne wrote: November 26th, 2020, 6:12 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote: November 26th, 2020, 7:08 am
beasterne wrote: November 26th, 2020, 6:44 am How To With John Wilson on HBO Max has been good, if very odd. John Wilson carries a camera around with him everywhere, filming all sorts of things in NYC, while narrating his thoughts on topics like making small talk or scaffolding. Off-beat, very funny at times, and surprisingly introspective.

Also Nathan Fielder is an executive producer which makes sense given the documentary feel with a weird balance between fact and fiction.
Cool, I’ve been thinking about checking this show out. The Nathan Fielder connection is always a plus, and I’ve heard from some fans of one of my favorite current series, Joe Pera Talks with You (more people need to watch that, btw), that they recommend this show.
Hmm, I’ve never heard of your recommendation, I’ll have to check it out.

If you want to get an idea of what How To is like, you can watch one of the short films he made in this style over the last several years. Here’s a link to one called How To Keep Smoking: https://vimeo.com/86527457

The storytelling approach is very similar to the HBO show, just refined and tightened up since the short film was made in 2014.
I just watched the first two episodes of How To with John Wilson (the “Small Talk” and “Scaffolding” ones) and as I expected, I’m liking it a lot already. This kind of stuff and sense of humor is right up my alley.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

AdamH wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 7:47 pm I watched all of the X-Files a couple of years ago (I hadn't watched much of it before then but my sister used to watch it regularly). It's excellent for a few years but goes downhill later on. I've started rating TV episodes now when I watch programmes (wish I'd done it for The X-Files as it's too hard for me to remember my favourite/least favourite episodes otherwise as there are so many).
Yea I don't really trust any series with 11 seasons to be good the entire way through lol. I hadn't thought about rating the eps, but I'm only like 4-5 eps in so I guess I'll start now and then I can make graphs and see how my ratings change over the seasons. mmmm graphs.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sebby

Post by sebby »

Last few seasons (pre reboot) are ummmm not great. All the pre-LA seasons and a few after are very good. Obviously with the seasons being so long you have tons of ups and downs. Jose Chung and Home are probably my two favorite eps.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 8:58 pmI just watched the first two episodes of How To with John Wilson (the “Small Talk” and “Scaffolding” ones) and as I expected, I’m liking it a lot already. This kind of stuff and sense of humor is right up my alley.
:cheers:
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Finished the first season of The X-Files. Although I've enjoyed it overall, the season is surprisingly hit and miss and it can be a bit of a drag to binge. I've started ranking the episodes here: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082161946/. The only real stand-out episode from this season though was Darkness Falls. I was also surprised at how I don't remember any of the show. I vaguely remembered the pilot ep, Squeeze, and Ice and no memory of any other episodes. I remember liking the 1998 film as a kid, but all I remember is bees? Also forgot how many cast members from Supernatural show up here and now I want to rewatch that as well. I stopped watching in season 7, and it recently finished it's 15th and final season so it's a lot to catch up on.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

The Expanse and Attack on Titan are back! Some insanely great television to look forward to for the next 1-2 months.

I was worried when it was previously announced the final season of Attack on Titan would be animated by a different studio, but so far the transition has been seamless.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

The Greatest Title Sequence I've Ever Seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUF4afxMpQk
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Started season five of The X Files last night. Nearly at 100 episodes (not even halfway lol), and my ranked list is here: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082161946/. Most episodes are ok, with a handful of great and poor ones, and my rating average is 6.3. Season one was a bit hit and miss, but it has generally gotten better with season three being the best one so far. A weak aspect for me, which has gotten better as the show goes on, is the lack of any real development of the characters and lack of consequence to their actions. They're occasionally suspended or left for dead or sick with a deadly illness, but nothing ever really matters. The monster of the week episodes are far better than the mythology episodes for this reason.

The 'emotional' storylines and scenes are always laughably bad. David Duchovny cannot cry and is generally a fairly weak actor (although has gotten a lot better since season one) and only really shines when he gets to be a bit comedic (eg, the scream in 'Jose Chung', his performance in 'Small Potatoes'). Gillian Anderson is a stronger actor but it still never really works with her either. And her stupid storyline at the moment is just ugh. Both characters are quite bland and rambly (I fecking hate the stupid monologues) so you never quite care about them although they are likable enough. The side characters are similar, some are fun but I just never feel really connected to anyone.

I am still enjoying the show a lot, but it is still cringe-ily 90s at times. I'm looking forward to rewatching the film at the end of this season as I haven't seen it in over 20 years.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

File this one under "UGH, not again"

‘SATC’ Revival Will Star Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon, Kristin Davis

"Max original series And Just Like That… is being billed as “a new chapter” of HBO series Sex and the City from Exec Producer Michael Patrick King"

BTW, Sam's gone ahole, I mean awhore, shit. AWOL!!!

No, seriously, I think Kim Cartrall was an important part of the mix, but I've read that she'd had enough of one of her co-stars who helped produce the final seasons and those gawd-awful follow up movies. (2 was a real stinker)

So I'm not going to be rushing out for this one unless I hear the writing's gotten a whole lot better. Also, in a world with BLM and Metoo ... we have to hope they find a way to broaden their horizons. Even Cattrall is quoted, “It’s a great part,” she told Morgan. “I played it past the finish line and then some, and I loved it. And another actress should play it. Maybe they could make it an African American Samantha Jones, or a Hispanic Samantha Jones.” Well, while I agree in spirit, I can also see how that could go horribly wrong.

BTW, I just rewatched the entire series at the start of the pandemic, so it's not like I'm a hater. I'm just getting really tired of reboots, prequels, sequels. and am more a supporter of the whole NihQuil movement.
sebby

Post by sebby »

I think I watched 3 eps of the show in college bc a girl i liked was into it. Could not understand the appeal at all.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Spent the last few days binging Nathan For You since everyone on here seemed to love it. It was ok, I liked it. It took me a while to warm to it, but I got a chuckle out of probably every episode, though sometimes it’s just kinda boring. Don’t really agree with the claims that it’s the greatest comedy/show of the last decade but it’s a fun way to pass the time.

Also finished season 6 of The X Files which was the best season so far. Maybe tied with season 5. From a glance at IMDb ratings it seems like it’s downhill from here. Really good writing, character interactions and fun stories. It seems to have gone away from its serious, ‘realistic’ roots but it seems like for the better.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

I have just finished what might be the best series ever...

History of Swear Words

Hosted by Nicolas Cage, sitting in front of a fire in a majestic room while wearing a suit and sporting a beard, Nick Cage guides us through a historical look at swearing and swear words in the English language. Imagine everything you ever wanted from Nick Cage about swearing... you'll get it. On Netflix. Amazing.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

mightysparks wrote: January 9th, 2021, 11:55 am Started season five of The X Files last night. Nearly at 100 episodes (not even halfway lol), and my ranked list is here: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082161946/. Most episodes are ok, with a handful of great and poor ones, and my rating average is 6.3. Season one was a bit hit and miss, but it has generally gotten better with season three being the best one so far. A weak aspect for me, which has gotten better as the show goes on, is the lack of any real development of the characters and lack of consequence to their actions. They're occasionally suspended or left for dead or sick with a deadly illness, but nothing ever really matters. The monster of the week episodes are far better than the mythology episodes for this reason.

The 'emotional' storylines and scenes are always laughably bad. David Duchovny cannot cry and is generally a fairly weak actor (although has gotten a lot better since season one) and only really shines when he gets to be a bit comedic (eg, the scream in 'Jose Chung', his performance in 'Small Potatoes'). Gillian Anderson is a stronger actor but it still never really works with her either. And her stupid storyline at the moment is just ugh. Both characters are quite bland and rambly (I fecking hate the stupid monologues) so you never quite care about them although they are likable enough. The side characters are similar, some are fun but I just never feel really connected to anyone.

I am still enjoying the show a lot, but it is still cringe-ily 90s at times. I'm looking forward to rewatching the film at the end of this season as I haven't seen it in over 20 years.
I watched The X Files a couple of years ago and I still laugh thinking of David Duchovny trying to try. Terrible acting!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

maxwelldeux wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:26 am I have just finished what might be the best series ever...

History of Swear Words

Hosted by Nicolas Cage, sitting in front of a fire in a majestic room while wearing a suit and sporting a beard, Nick Cage guides us through a historical look at swearing and swear words in the English language. Imagine everything you ever wanted from Nick Cage about swearing... you'll get it. On Netflix. Amazing.
Oh my god.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

AdamH wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:36 am
mightysparks wrote: January 9th, 2021, 11:55 am Started season five of The X Files last night. Nearly at 100 episodes (not even halfway lol), and my ranked list is here: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082161946/. Most episodes are ok, with a handful of great and poor ones, and my rating average is 6.3. Season one was a bit hit and miss, but it has generally gotten better with season three being the best one so far. A weak aspect for me, which has gotten better as the show goes on, is the lack of any real development of the characters and lack of consequence to their actions. They're occasionally suspended or left for dead or sick with a deadly illness, but nothing ever really matters. The monster of the week episodes are far better than the mythology episodes for this reason.

I watched The X Files a couple of years ago and I still laugh thinking of David Duchovny trying to try. Terrible acting!
Trying to try tehe But yeah goddamn his crying is terrible.

Season 7 is off to a poor start. The 'closure' of Samantha was goddawful and he got to have another cry. And the horribly sexist and outdated VR episode just ugh. Guess it's all downhill from here...

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Yeah, the 'closure' of the Samantha episode was such a huge let down after it being a background part of the story for so long. The mythology story gets excellent but the way they tie up the stories tends to be weak.

I really, really wish I had rated each episode so I could reply with a nice little average and ranking for each season :(

There are some really weak episodes in the last couple of seasons (of the original run) and they do some comedy episodes that don't work at all.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Well, done with season 7 of The X Files. Worst season so far. Wtf was Fight Club? Ughhhhh. The comedic episodes in earlier seasons were decent but yea starting this season apparently they are terrible. The tone of the show is so off. Scully keeps giggling constantly at random stuff and there's weird episodes that make no sense. Genies? I mean, the episode was ok, but GENIES??? I'm concerned for the last four seasons but I guess it's all part of the journey...

beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Finished Curb Your Enthusiasm season 10 last night, finally caught up. This show aged like a fine wine for me. I wasn't that into the first few seasons--it was funny, but not very laugh out loud funny on a consistent basis. But starting around season 6 I was really laughing a lot throughout, and season 7 and 9 were both big standouts.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

So far, the final season of Attack on Titan is just incredible.

And for once it seems most people agree with me, if IMDb ratings are any indication...

(mighty, don't look these up if you're not caught up to Season 3, even the accompanying photos are pretty big spoilers)

Episode 1 - 9.4
Episode 2 - 8.9
Episode 3 - 9.4
Episode 4 - 9.1
Episode 5 - 9.9
Episode 6 - 9.9
Episode 7 - 10.0 (this one is a little overrated IMO, some big stumbles on the action beats)
Episode 8 - 9.6 (why isn't this the 10.0 one?)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Just started season 9 of The X Files, the last season before the reboot. Season 8 was terrible, it didn’t work at all without Mulder and they undid so much Scully and Mulder’s relationship. The pregnancy crap was just so awful and a horrible move for restricting the growth of Scully. I hate the new female agent character too, what a bore. I always like Robert Patrick and he’s been fine but the character is no replacement for Mulder and is not quite interesting enough. His presence did make me rewatch the first two Terminator films the other night though so that was cool. The cases have gotten progressively more ridiculous and trying too hard to be crazy and gory and unrealistic.

Also I finally found a copy of Attack on Titan that works on my tv so I can finally watch season 2 soon :circle:

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

mightysparks wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:31 am Also I finally found a copy of Attack on Titan that works on my tv so I can finally watch season 2 soon :circle:
:party: :party: :party:

Season 2 is only 12 episodes, so can be watched pretty quickly.

sebby

Post by sebby »

I gave up on the X Files reboot after the babylon episode. There's a great episode early on with Kumail Nanjiani but the reboot just felt off to me. Apparently season 11 is better than 10 so maybe I'll get around to it again, if only for completion's sake since I've seen every other episode.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

sebby wrote: February 6th, 2021, 10:27 am I gave up on the X Files reboot after the babylon episode. There's a great episode early on with Kumail Nanjiani but the reboot just felt off to me. Apparently season 11 is better than 10 so maybe I'll get around to it again, if only for completion's sake since I've seen every other episode.
I watched all of The X-Files over the course of a few months apart from S11 which I still haven't watched. S10 was extremely mixed in quality. I remember really liking one of the early episodes but can't remember which one (perhaps the one you are talking about). I absolutely hated Babylon. A real low point.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Dunno whether to post this here or on the VG thread, but Bella Ramsey - who played little Lyanna Mormont on Game of Thrones - has been cast as Ellie in HBO's The Last of Us adaptation, and Pedro Pascal has been cast as Joel.

Which is funny because for a while Maisie Williams and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau were a fan favorite casting choices. Guess they went with two other GoT stars instead.

Pedro Pascal is the one that seems weird to me. Too young and not, uh, beefy enough for Joel IMO. So far, I can't see it. But he's disappeared into everything he's been in so far so I'll take a wait and see approach.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Yea odd choices for both tbh, even though both are good actors. I guess Pascal is cast for Mandalorian/that planet one where he plays Mal from Firefly, which has a kinda similar feel to Joel.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Prospect? Is that worth watching? It was at the PFF a couple years back but I didn't get a chance to see it.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Yea I liked it. I didn’t think it was great, but looked beautiful and it was nice.

beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Currently watching The West Wing for the first time. I'm about halfway through season 2. The cliffhanger at the end of season 1 was really great and unexpected, and it ratcheted up the tension nicely.

The experience of watching these policy debates 20 years after they were written is something else. The US has made so much progress in some areas (like same-sex marriage) while being stuck in sand in other areas (partisanship) and getting worse in others (money in politics).

Also it's funny to me how Rob Lowe is top billed when he feels like the 5th or 6th most important character, and that Mandy was completely dumped from the show in the 2nd season without a single mention of her departure.
Last edited by beasterne on February 11th, 2021, 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

The fact that Season 1 ended on a cliffhanger and Season 2 picked up immediately afterwards, and one of the main characters just vanished in between seasons never to be mentioned or referred to again, caused me to stop watching The West Wing. How am I supposed to take the show seriously after that?

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

New Adam Curtis series out on iplayer and probably other sources
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13973190/
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Just finished season 10 of The X Files. What crap. Ridiculously clunky dialogue, awful acting, boring, tonally wrong. It feels written by a really old person out of touch with the 'youth', like the 'joke' with Mulder trying to take a photo of the lizard guy. So cringey. That episode was the best one but it was still not good, the editing was bad and all the jokes fell flat. I'm not why Babylon in particular was singled out as terrible above, because they were all basically equally terrible. Gave every episode a 5/10. Joel McHale was the only thing I liked about any of it and he has about 5 minutes of screen time the whole season. I didn't like season 9 much either, but that was mostly tolerable just a bit bland and didn't feel like The X Files. At least there's only one season to go.

sebby

Post by sebby »

For me Babylon was just so embarrassing to watch. Like it hurt my insides. I did like the were-monster ep a good bit.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Because of the way it 'tackled' racism? Or/and Mulder's trip? That was pretty awful. The worst one for me was Home Again or whatever it was called. Do not care about Scully's abusive and controlling family and all the emotional stuff was painful.

sebby

Post by sebby »

Literally everything about the ep sucked, but the Mulder weirdness was just beyond anything I could comfortably handle as a viewer. I don't know of any 200ish episode tv series that are churning out good episodes by the time they reach that point (maybe the last good season of the Simpsons?) but man it's usually not that bad. Even the last few years of The Office never hit a point that low.

Scully's family stuff was always a drag and shitty story element. Looking back I feel like they should have rebooted the show in the same style with the same main characters, but leaving everything plot related from the first 9 seasons behind.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Just finished season 11 and now I'm done with The X Files. I always hate that moment when I finish a series and then I feel empty inside lol. Season 11 was a massive improvement on season 10 with some classic X Files style episodes and two great ones (worth watching for 'Rm9sbG93ZXJz' alone). Would definitely recommend watching it for those who gave up after season 10. I felt the climax was too rushed and anti-climactic though. There were a couple of subplots that were not dealt with very well.

Overall I liked the show a lot, but it does vary in quality. There were only two episodes that I hated (The Field Where I Died and Fight Club). Most of the episodes are at least 'good'. Season 5 & 6 were the strongest and it did start to drop in quality after that, especially during the seasons where Mulder is gone and Scully is just a background character. My final ranked list of episodes: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082161946/.

Season average ratings and rankings:

1. Season 6 - 6.5
2. Season 5 - 6.5
3. Season 3 - 6.5
4. Season 2 - 6.5
5. Season 1 - 6.3
6. Season 4 - 6.0
7. Season 11 - 6.0
8. Season 7 - 5.9
9. Season 8 - 5.7
10. Season 9 - 5.7
11. Season 10 - 5.0

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I started watching The Man in the High Castle recently and have just started season 2. My dad recommended it a year or so ago but it didn’t sound sci fi enough to interest me. Then I saw a teaser on Prime that mentioned a sci fi element so I thought I’d give it a go. It’s ok. I kinda liked that they spent a whole season building the world and its politics before revealing the sci fi stuff.

But it’s so serious and sentimental and the characters are all ridiculously boring. The main character is one of the worst characters ever, with the actor also being the weakest in the cast, and she exists only to make stupid decisions and stuff things up. She is pointless and the ‘love triangle’ stuff is just laughable. Rufus Sewell and Rupert Evans’ characters are the only ones that even slightly interest me. All the political stuff is dull too and I don’t have enough interest or knowledge of American/Japanese/German history to care much. I’m still watching for now because o have nothing else (turns out Attack on Titan does not work on this stupid tv after all) but idk if I’ll stick with it.

sebby

Post by sebby »

man in the high castle came off to me as a show that tried to be PRESTIGE TELEVISION and failed. didn't make it to episode 2.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Yea that’s a good way of putting it. I tried to watch another episode yesterday and ended up shutting it off to watch YouTube so I think I’m done with it now lol.