Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

The TV Lounge

Armoreska

Re: The TV Lounge

Post by Armoreska » October 22nd, 2019, 1:26 am

starting November 10
10 more of 10/10 Rick & Morty best season ever

I havent noticed that its been two years...
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

lynchs

Post by lynchs » October 23rd, 2019, 1:50 pm

What outdoorcats meant,

there's only two tv series worth it, one is Twin Peaks and the other is Twin Peaks.. and The Prisoner is up there as well in its flawed glory.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » October 24th, 2019, 3:33 am

So outdoorcats, did ya end up seeing the Watchmen premiere yet? I stayed true to my word and did not watch, but hey, I am open to possibly being swayed into giving it a shot if there's some praise around here. ;)
I finally saw it! It's so good. Right now it feels like the best possible Watchmen TV series we could have gotten. (If you do plan on watching it, try to avoid spoilers)

lynchs: nope. The Leftovers.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

lynchs

Post by lynchs » October 24th, 2019, 12:45 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 3:33 am
lynchs: nope. The Leftovers.
5 minutes of Twin Peaks > Leftovers or (insert any tv show you want) :whistling:

10 minutes of The Prisoner > (insert any tv show you want) :whistling:

:woot:

sebby

Post by sebby » October 24th, 2019, 10:40 pm

I couldn't get past about 4 or 5 episodes of The Leftovers. Couldn't finish the book, either.

lynchs

Post by lynchs » October 27th, 2019, 1:11 pm

sebby wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 10:40 pm
I couldn't get past about 4 or 5 episodes of The Leftovers. Couldn't finish the book, either.
same here. about the book dunno, can't say, can't criticize.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » October 27th, 2019, 1:57 pm

You might want to consider continuing to watch the show. Can't imagine a Twin Peaks fan not loving Seasons 2 and 3.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 27th, 2019, 2:18 pm

The Leftovers gets much better after episode 4-5. I struggled with the first few episodes also.

lynchs

Post by lynchs » October 27th, 2019, 3:58 pm

naaaaa.. much ado about nothing.. sorry guys.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 4th, 2019, 9:46 am

I finished watching Preacher today. This is probably the best thing I've watched all year, I haven't enjoyed something this much in a while tbh. I had never heard of it before, just looked at popular horror shows on IMDb and thought I'd give it a go. Was hooked from the first ep. I really liked season 1 but the show got really different after that. It took me a while to get used to season 2, but Herr Starr was just the greatest. Season 3 was the weakest season, Jesse's family and backstory were horribly boring and Jesse without his power was lame, but season 4 was fun and it ended well, except that bit at the end which was awkward and weird. I didn't think this would be my kind of show, but it was really good fun. I can't find fault with any of the casting, even the characters I didn't like were still done well by the actors. There were things I didn't like or annoyed me; I felt Tulip's entire existence was to be in some kind of love triangle, sometimes characters seemed to go against character but it didn't feel 'true', Eugene was my favourite until Starr but his story was all over the place, also Starr's change from no nonsense talking dude to kissing everyone's ass and being sad at not wearing a hat was a bit jarring but was still amusing. I felt a bit disappointed in myself for getting attracted to Herr Starr after a while, but that's pretty typical of old me tbh. I've downloaded the comics because I want more, and I'm gonna check out The Boys next.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

monty

Post by monty » November 4th, 2019, 5:03 pm

mightysparks wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 9:46 am
... and I'm gonna check out The Boys next.
My prediction: You're gonna love it to bits.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 5th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Watched The Boys over the last couple of days. I enjoyed it, but not as much as Preacher. The characters aren’t quite as interesting, and I liked watching the downfall of all the asshole characters more than the good guys - who are all quite boring. Also tended to feel overly preachy at times, which Preacher suffered from too, and most of the time it’s just conflict after conflict with characters avoiding another for a while and then arguing or coming clean in a big speech.

Now on the quest for another show. I watched the first ep of Living With Yourself but it was awful. All the humour falls flat and Paul Rudd is a boring lead.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

sebby

Post by sebby » November 5th, 2019, 11:01 pm

For the life of me I can't remember what it's called, but the animated series on Amazon about the mentally ill woman is the only TV thing I've watched in years that really hooked me, made me want to binge and then google afterwards to see if it was picked up for another season. Very much a series that considers the implications of the existence of the motherfucking Container Store (... so to speak).

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 8th, 2019, 11:55 pm

The soundtrack to Watchmen is one of the best things Nine Inch Nails has put out in years (and makes great background music for putting together the Film Festival). The show keeps getting better every week too.

Estonian Bot

Post by Estonian Bot » November 14th, 2019, 9:16 am

The Kominsky Method. Yep. This is what I've been reduced to. My life is so boring that watching a show about a couple of geriatric guys is interesting.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » November 15th, 2019, 12:25 am

I watched Justice, a series of philosophy lectures from one of the most popular courses at Harvard. It happens to be on IMDb, so I checked it. (IMDb link)

When I watch philosophical discussions in movies, I'm usually not impressed, but I thought these lectures were good. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes philosophy, or anyone who likes watching lectures. He has a good teaching style, and he often asks students to give their own views or to debate each other.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 15th, 2019, 11:50 pm

I'm a few episodes into Get a Life. For an early 90s sitcom it is quite fantastic. It feels like a precursor to the surreal and absurdist type of comedy shows. It does suffer from the same flaws and jokes that lots of sitcoms of the era have, but with that being the overall mood of it it makes the surreal and absurdist parts stand out more and become more effective.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 16th, 2019, 11:39 pm

Boyfriend was bored last night and wanted to watch something but I wasn't in the mood for a movie after work, so we just started looking at stuff on Youtube and came across some clips from The Young Ones [my favourite show], and we ended up watching the episode 'Cash'. It's been maybe 10 years since I've seen the show, but I still remembered so much of it and kept laughing or smiling when I knew what joke was coming. I was worried about revisiting it in case I thought it was too silly now. I also thought he'd find it really stupid. I still loved it, and it made me feel so happy watching it again. He also liked it, particularly my favourite parts of that episode (the 'don't drive your car on the pavement' and 'fishtank' bits).

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 12th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Anyone else here a fan of Joe Pera? I just became aware of him pretty recently after stumbling upon Joe Pera Talks You to Sleep and then watching his Adult Swim show Joe Pera Talks with You, and the earlier videos he made that are on his YouTube channel. Something about his old-man-in-young-man's-body, sincere and sweet persona can be so funny in its own weird way, and so relaxing and even touching with that slow delivery of his.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » December 13th, 2019, 12:34 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 5:28 pm
Anyone else here a fan of Joe Pera? I just became aware of him pretty recently after stumbling upon Joe Pera Talks You to Sleep and then watching his Adult Swim show Joe Pera Talks with You, and the earlier videos he made that are on his YouTube channel. Something about his old-man-in-young-man's-body, sincere and sweet persona can be so funny in its own weird way, and so relaxing and even touching with that slow delivery of his.
In honor of the season:

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/specia ... stmas-tree

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 13th, 2019, 1:35 pm

sebby wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 12:34 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 5:28 pm
In honor of the season:

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/specia ... stmas-tree
Glorious. Watching this will be an annual Christmas tradition for me from now on.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 1st, 2020, 1:10 am

A few weeks ago I was questioning what the Baby Yoda meme thing was from and a friend told me it was from The Mandalorian, which I hadn't even heard of. No-one knew what exactly the Baby Yoda was, so I googled it and the show actually sounded pretty interesting. I asked my boyfriend if he wanted to watch it with me and he said 'do you only want to watch it because Baby Yoda is cute?' and well, yeah but... So anyway, last night we finally got around to watching some of it. We watched the first 3 episodes, I really like it so far. It obviously has a solid budget, which helps, but the story is good (love the bounty hunting space stuff), the main character is surprisingly interesting and emotive considering we haven't even seen his face. Baby Yoda thing is really cute and I squee every time it's on-screen. All the other creatures look really cool as well. Looking forward to watching more.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 1st, 2020, 1:49 am

I found it surprisingly decent, considering I don't like Star Wars. I understand why the general attitude, at least online, is one of derision, considering it's not very much akin to contemporary television, very much a throwback to classic western tv shows. But if you can get over the hump of it not being a serial, it's quite entertaining. Not the most engaging or intellectually stimulating, but definitely a quality effort.

Baby Yoda is most certainly the beginnings of a cult.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 3rd, 2020, 9:19 am

We finished the rest of the season today. I really enjoyed it, I agree that it's not particularly 'deep' and it's light entertainment, but it's solid fun. A lot of the stories are pretty generic and I've seen a number of times, the fishing village and noob bounty hunter episodes were the worst for this as they brought nothing new to the table, but the prison ship episode was really good. Those eps did feel a bit 'filler', but the last two episodes were quite good; though Herzog's character was pretty under-used. Cracked up at the 'it's trying to eat me' bit and the banter between the troopers at the start of the final episode was another favourite bit.

Would definitely join a Baby Yoda cult.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 3rd, 2020, 11:33 am

the middle three episodes are probably my favorite, the fishing village thru the prison ship ep.

I know many people online were dissatisfied with the "guest star" nature of the...well, guest stars, but I thought it was pretty interesting and those characters could pop up anywhere in Star Wars-dom for the next 20 years, before, during or after The Mandolorian. Like, there were definite loose ends left, like Ming-Na Wen's character. and they could piss everybody off (except me) by giving Amy Sedaris her own half hour sitcom starring her and the droids. It's basically a remake of Taxi.

also, I was a little shocked by the young bounty hunter in the Ming-Na Wen episode. Not the character or the acting, but the actor himself is Bobby Cannavale's son (didn't know he was old enough to have an adult son but, yeah) and Sidney Lumet's grandson! And Lena Horne's great-grandson! what a family!

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 9th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Just a reminder, a new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm starts on January 19. :woot:

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 11th, 2020, 10:30 am

I’ve started watching Attack on Titan today. I had it in my watchlist but didn’t really know anything about it, but my boyfriend had seen season 1 and we got to talking about it and he showed me some gifs and I was sold. It’s really damn good actually. The titans are disturbing and creepy as hell, the world is cool, and I really wanna see more.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 11th, 2020, 10:51 am

Never got into that, but I liked both live-action movies. Should get around to watching the anime movie versions I guess.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » January 12th, 2020, 1:29 am

Give your heart(s)! :cheers: Each season gets better than the last.

Are you watching the sub or dub? I'm not a fan of the English dub, except for the voice actor doing Erwin.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 12th, 2020, 2:00 am

Subbed, I hate dubs. I watched the first 10 eps yesterday, it's damn addictive. Having teenage characters is a little irritating and the dialogue really lacks subtlety, but I do like its ideas and that's probably the only downside for me so far (oh, the music is kinda lame too, but it still suits it). Every episode is full of energy and intensity and manages to end on a cliffhanger every goddamn time. At first I was annoyed because I wanted more information but it slowly dripfeeds it to you and it never really disappoints. I also like that sometimes their plans/dreams/ideas don't work out and everything always feels on edge.

Though:
SpoilerShow
When the main character was eaten, I assumed he would come back but I couldn't work out how he would've survived (I thought maybe he'd harpooned himself onto the Titan's tongue and climbed out of it or something). But it transitioned so smoothly into a new main character that I wasn't 100% sure that he'd be back and I was pretty anxious to find out.

I'm trying not to read anything about it so I don't spoil any of the story, but it's hard.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » January 12th, 2020, 5:13 am

I'd better say as little as possible then! I'd be pretty interested to read your thoughts on the second half of the season though, maybe because that's when the show truly clicked for me personally (I liked the first batch of episodes well enough, but wasn't 100% hooked until later).

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 13th, 2020, 7:22 am

I finished season 1 yesterday. I definitely preferred the first half of the season more, but I enjoyed all of it and looking forward to the next few seasons (though I'm taking a bit of a break first). I was hooked pretty quickly, and I felt the show just kept increasing the stakes and the pace up until the halfway point when
SpoilerShow
Eren's Titan form really starts to lead the series. I didn't think the mega super human Titan's were anywhere near as terrifying or intriguing as the regular Titan's. The Titan's also work quite well as this constant background threat rather than one being the full focus. The whole Annie/female-form Titan development was kinda boring and that was the only time I started to lose interest.
I think the Titans are probably my favourite 'enemy' thing out of everything I've seen, and possibly even the scariest. They really disturb me, I get chills sometimes just thinking about them. Their dumb blank faces and plastic smiles are super creepy.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 15th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Still on a break from Attack on Titan, but I've started watching Death Note, 3 eps in. Not an immediate grab like Titan, but still interesting. It feels like stuff is happening a little quickly and some of the teenage stuff is annoying, as well as L's crazy assumptions but it's still fun to watch it twist and turn. But wow do these shows have the worst theme songs in the history of theme songs.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » January 16th, 2020, 1:06 am

Re: AoT Season 1
SpoilerShow
Ha, we have pretty much opposite feelings about the story. The point that truly hooked me personally was Erwin's line, "Look, what do you see. Who is the real enemy here?" I guess I'm a sucker for mystery and intrigue, but it opened up the thematic potential of the series so much to be something other than just an action show about people fighting giants. People versus people conflicts interest me more. The Female Titan arc was also my favorite that season, with me finally caring about all the characters enough that I didn't want to see any of them die (rather than still trying to figure out who's who in the first battle), and every episode bringing enough action, story, twists, etc.
Re: Death Note, I don't have as much to say as others as I only ever got about halfway through the show. A certain character gets introduced that I found so annoying I threw up my peace sign and left, but until then I thought it was an entertaining thriller.

toromash

Post by toromash » January 23rd, 2020, 1:02 am

Agree with outdoorcats. I even found the first half season badly paced, but it did introduce the series with a bang. The female titan arc could probably be improved, but it is my favorite part of season 1. Its also the only series, where a supporting character clearly carry whenever he is on screen (COMANDER ERWIN). Even his last name ends with win. A true champ

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » January 27th, 2020, 8:45 pm

We still don't have a "Lecture Lounge", so I'll post this here.

I finished watching the Human Behavioral Biology lectures from Stanford. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in science.

I hated biology in high school, because it felt like pointless trivia that I had to memorize (I preferred physics because it was more logical). These lectures were completely different. Everything seemed important and logical, and it's a subject that anyone can relate to (human behavior), and I feel like I have a better understanding of science after watching it.

Does anyone know any other good lectures that I can watch when I'm bored (and when I'm not in the mood to watch movies or TV)?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 27th, 2020, 11:56 pm

Donald Kagan's Introduction to Ancient Greek History:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5134243987

and David Harvey's lectures on Marx's Das Kapital, two different lecture series on Vol. 1, circa 2009 and 2019:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9qzXV ... lID3HLHe9Q

David Harvey has a new series on Grundrisse starting tomorrow!

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » January 28th, 2020, 12:04 am

funkybusiness wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 11:56 pm
and David Harvey's lectures on Marx's Das Kapital, two different lecture series on Vol. 1, circa 2009 and 2019:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9qzXV ... lID3HLHe9Q
Have you watched both? If so, which one do you think is better?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 28th, 2020, 12:12 am

I've seen all of the former, it's a classic, he's a bit more energetic being only 70-something as opposed to 84, and I've seen a bit of the newer one, it's got better production values, I guess you could say, but in the interim he's written several books that also serve as an introduction or general reading of Das Kapital which helped focus the lecture a bit, and the newer one seemed to have slightly more relevance to a modern viewer with regards to current affairs (obviously hard to relate 13 years ago to things that hadn't happened). I would say if you're interested in the lectures because of the subject, watch the newer one, but if you're interested in lectures being entertaining (insofar as you can be entertaining discussing Marxism and Harvey does have a decent personality), probably the earlier set.

edit: another difference is the earlier lectures were delivered as part of a class (or at least emulating a class), when he was still regularly teaching (is he still...?), and the newer ones were produced specifically for their current, online streaming lecture function.

I was also mistaken about the earlier lecture series date, it was 2007.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 28th, 2020, 12:56 am

Watched the first season of Good Omens. It's ok. I don't really like that type of humour (and I don't really like Terry Pratchett), but the story/world/potential for ideas is really enjoyable. The first season was quite fun, despite the poor humour (which sometimes works, and it couldn't really work played straight).

I was going to start season 2 of Attack on Titan last night but the files wouldn't play on my stupid-ass TV, so I watched more Death Note instead. It's taken some time, but the last few eps got me hooked. I was going to watch one before bed last night and I ended up watching 4 (think I'm up to ep 9 now). At first it felt like the main character was just too 'smart' and already too evil, but now it's all coming together and working pretty well. The subplot with the FBI agent and his girlfriend were what made it click for me.

Also watched Frozen Planet with the bf the other week. It was good, with lots of cute animals and amazing images, but felt a little repetitive towards the end. And LOL at not playing the climate change episode in America because it's a touchy subject. WTF?? Stupid America. We're watching Life now and it feels kinda like Planet Earth, but that's not exactly a bad thing. I used to hate these things when I was younger but I love them now.