Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

The TV Lounge

mjf314

Re: The TV Lounge

Post by mjf314 » January 31st, 2019, 3:23 am

I finished Firefly about a week ago. I also watched Serenity. I liked both.

It did remind me of Cowboy Bebop (or at least some parts did). I haven't seen Outlaw Star so I can't comment on that comparison.

fori

Post by fori » January 31st, 2019, 4:43 am

outdoorcats wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 10:40 pm
Outlaw Star
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 31st, 2019, 3:33 pm

new seasons of High Maintenance and Broad City started

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 9th, 2019, 1:18 pm

A Star is Born got all me all nostalgic for Alias so I’m nearly finished with the first season now. The first time my dad rented it in January 2004, I was up until 6am finishing the first season because I just couldn’t stop. It was the latest I’d ever stayed up at that point. I’ve rewatched the first three seasons a few times but only finished the other ones once. I still find it difficult to stop watching but man it has so many problems. The music urgh so melodramatic and cheesy. The acting is not great most of the time and I find it hard to believe Sydney is the best spy and friend and student ever, such an unconvincing Mary Sue. She’s way too emotional to be a good spy, ditches her friends way too often to be a good friend, and is always late on her papers. The dialogue and the emotional drama scenes can be pretty dumb. But everyone is still likable and it really is super fun. It is annoying how every episode ends on a cliffhanger and is resolved within the first two minutes of the next one though. I still like the show a lot but it definitely shows its age now.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » February 9th, 2019, 3:53 pm

What is the connection between A Star is Born and Alias?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 9th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 3:53 pm
Bradley Cooper - he was Sidney's best guy friend on that show.

And yeah, mighty, I hear you - I used to LOVE that show, but it is nowhere near as good as I used to think it was.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 9th, 2019, 11:22 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 3:53 pm
Bradley Cooper - he was Sidney's best guy friend on that show.

And yeah, mighty, I hear you - I used to LOVE that show, but it is nowhere near as good as I used to think it was.
Greg Grunberg and Ron Rifkin also make appearances. Yea, it’s still really addictive but really dumb.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 13th, 2019, 7:48 am

Watched America's Got Talent with the Wife tonight - it's actually pretty decent if you fast-forward through all the judges talking and intro pieces.

Anyway, this woman told a story through sand art - this stunning portrayal might be my favorite "short" I've seen in almost 3 years on ICM. She draws pictures in sand to tell a story. If you have ~4.5 minutes, it's worth it. (Linked queued to the start time)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 1st, 2019, 6:55 am

Was looking for a bingey sci-fi show on Netflix last night. I tried an episode of Russian Doll and thought it was horrible. I just finished the show Maniac, which has a terribly unfitting title and feels like it’s over before it’s begun - especially as it’s about overcoming trauma so you need a bit more repetition and depth - but it was decently entertaining. Hill and Stone had some good moments and some bad ones (I really can’t stand that fish eyed gremlin Stone most of the time though). Considering Dark, The 3%, The OA, or The Rain next. Also have been recommended some of the superhero stuff like Jessica Jones, The Punisher and Daredevil (which I watched a few eps of years ago but got bored).

sebby

Post by sebby » March 1st, 2019, 9:05 am

I thought Dark was pretty good. But quite slight compared to something like Maniac which is just overflowing thematically, visually, etc. But as i recall it was an easy binge.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 1st, 2019, 9:46 am

I just watched Russian Doll and liked it. I can understand the first episode doesn’t appeal to someone, it does get better later. Its way more a character centered drama than a sci-fi series. So if you’re looking for a pure sci-fi series it isn’t suitable indeed.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 1st, 2019, 10:23 am

I like character drama stuff too, but I hated all the characters :P I might give it another shot. I watched 10 minutes of The Rain but it was stupid as hell and for teenagers. Why do so many shows have high schoolers as main characters man make something for the adults. I’m a few eps into The OA which is watchable and sort of interesting but a bit dumb as well.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 1st, 2019, 2:49 pm

Just got to the finale of the new True Detective last night...after what had been a good rebound season following the lamentable season 2, the season 3 conclusion was rather underwhelming I thought.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 2nd, 2019, 12:14 pm

I guess binging is my way of dealing with not knowing whether to continue or quit my current course lol because I've finished three series + the last season of The Good Place over the last few days. I watched The OA, which was really dumb but still had something about it that was entertaining. I then went back to Russian Doll and did indeed like it much more after a few more episodes and just finished the first season (and annoyed there were no more). Now to find something else...

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 9th, 2019, 2:47 am

So I ended up watching all of Helix, which was a stupid and horrible show and I don’t know why I watched it. The dialogue was painful, I can’t even choose who the worst actor in the show was, characters were dumb and inconsistent, there was a whole lot of ‘you’re the most beautiful/amazing/special/intelligent person in the world’ chucked at almost every character at some point. I assume they didn’t know they were gonna get cancelled after season 2 because that was a horrible ending. It had some interesting elements with the virus stuff but it was such a dumb show.

I’ve also been trying to watch The Punisher which is incredibly boring and just a chick flick melodrama dressed up as a comic book boy thing. Shirtless ‘fit’ men, stupid sex scenes and relationship melodrama ugh. I liked the film with Thomas Jane but a major problem is setting it after his family has been killed and he’s already gotten his revenge; that’s his goddamn story. I haven’t read the comics or whatever so I don’t know how much of the show is taken from the comics but man is it lame. All the characters are lame, The Punisher dude is boring and lacking in personality, the story isn’t that interesting either. It would’ve been much more interesting to explore his origin story for a few seasons then deal with this after stuff so it actually has some emotional resonance but no. It’s just melodrama with some blood.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 10th, 2019, 1:22 am

My boyfriend and I had a bit to drink last night and were watching stuff on YouTube. Somehow we came across The Eric Andre Show, which I think some people on here have mentioned before, and started watching compilations of that for a few hours. Not sure if I’d like it sober but we had fun, some of it was dumb but some of it was hilarious and I like how chill the dude is and just does or says anything without hesitation, and dgaf. Then we watched some Ali G after we ran out of stuff, haven’t watched that show in over 15 years, which was also fun.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 10th, 2019, 1:44 am

I started watching the Eric Andre Show a while back while high as balls. Never seen it sober (don't want to), but it was pretty amusing. Not my type of humor generally, but still pretty enjoyable now and again.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 13th, 2019, 3:54 am

I’ve started watching Sense8 now. Wow it is stupid. It takes itself so damn seriously but it’s just dumb. The characters are all pretty horrible, as are the actors, and the dialogue is the worst. The trans hacker character is just awful with the constant spouting of simplistic nonsense about identity and morals. The actor is also the worst on the show, and has the worst subplot and is just terrible in every way. It’s sad this show seems to be praised for its treatment of LGBT because it’s actually some of the worst I’ve seen, other than that it’s fairly prominent the actual characters are pathetic stereotypes, or just plain awful. The story/plots are kind of all over the place and I’m interested to see where it leads but it’s a pretty pointless show.

sebby

Post by sebby » March 13th, 2019, 4:22 am

yeah i found sense8 completely unwatchable. Might be the worst of NF's big budget originals.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 15th, 2019, 11:39 pm

Somehow I watched all of Sense8. Yeah I don’t know either, I was really desperate for a distraction. Jesus Christ what a piece of trash. I thought maybe it would get better or take itself a bit less seriously but nope. I don’t even know what I like least about it, the dialogue, the acting, the characters, the messy plots? There were some interesting ideas scattered about tbh which was the only reason it was at all watchable but generally they are all dealt with horribly. The biggest problem with the show is how seriously it takes itself, particularly with Nomi’s stupid ass speeches and of course the show ends on her stupid fecking wedding as if it’s the biggest and most monumental event in history. I don’t know whether I was offended or happy for some relief at the use of The Magnetic Fields at the end but probably more offended after they turned it into a nightclub song. What a dumb, dumb show.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 18th, 2019, 8:06 am

Nearly done with season 1 of Daredevil. I’m finding it extremely boring and cheesy - which would be ok if it wasn’t so damn boring. I tried watching it when it first came out but got bored after a couple episodes so I thought I’d give it another shot but so far it isn’t impressing me. I hate the characters, they’re all so preachy and goody goody and emotional. The guy who plays Foggy or however that’s spelt is a terrible actor and his ‘omg the world is so horrible cry cry cry’ thing was just laughably bad. Really hard to be invested with this show at all. The ‘Daredevil’ character is pointless and lacks personality. D’Onofrio overacts but Fisk is an ok OTT comic book villainy character but the whole thing is kinda dumb.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 18th, 2019, 8:30 am

the main issue with all those netflix/marvel shows is that they have material for like 4-6 episodes and they stretch it way too damn thin.

if it's any consolation, I thought season 2 of Daredevil was better than 1. but I haven't seen 3 yet.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 18th, 2019, 8:38 am

Yea, I always thought these things would work better as TV shows than films so they had the chance to explore the characters and their worlds and motivations more but it still feels as shallow as the films. I’ll hold out hope for season 2 I guess. The Punisher kind of came together in the end and was somewhat entertaining at least; this is less of a girly melodrama but it’s just dull.

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 20th, 2019, 5:41 am

After Life on Netflix. Starring Ricky Gervais Watch now Thank me later. It's very good.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 20th, 2019, 5:58 pm

:woot: :woot:

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 21st, 2019, 1:23 pm

Just finished season 2 of Daredevil. season 2 was definitely an improvement, though the female characters in the show are all awful and are just generic love interest template, and the actor playing Matt has no chemistry with any of them. And I don’t know if he’s like that in the comics, but man the character is a dull wet lettuce. The Elektra actress was by far the worst actor in the show yet and totally unconvincing. I kept getting bored and had to take a lot of breaks but then the last 2 episodes were point. Especially the second last one, all the stories came together nicely and that whole ninja fight with Daredevil listening to their breath was good, and even worked well being edited against the other climaxing stories. The whole season felt less morally simplistic, it was more brutal and violent and gritty in a good way.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 21st, 2019, 6:22 pm

We talked about slow-TV somewhere in this forum some time ago, but I can't find it. Anyway they celebrate the 10 year anniversary this year (and 21st broadcast), so this time we are watching

A clock.

Every minute about 5-7 people rebuilds the numbers. (The numbers are simply planks)

Looking forward to the action packed transformation from 19:59 to 20:00 that will happen in 37 minutes.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 21st, 2019, 7:03 pm

It's the train station in Bergen, in ase someone wondered. 4 hours to go.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 31st, 2019, 10:19 am

Finished season 3 of Daredevil which was ok, but season 2 was definitely the strongest. I then moved onto Jessica Jones. The first season was ok but the second was boring and dumb as hell. I really don’t like the lead actress and the character is pretty boring — actually all of these Marvel shows have incredibly dull lead characters.

Now I’m giving Stranger Things another go. I watched 5 or so eps in October 2016 but that was the worst time of my depression and PTSD and having my rapist’s name called out every 5 seconds meant I was in tears during most of it. But I’ve watched about 3 shows recently with his name called out quite often and though it still makes me flinch I’m getting more numb to it. Anyway, when I wasn’t triggered I found it boring but liked the way it captured the 80s. I’ve only watched the first episode so more and I like it a bit more than I remember so fingers crossed.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 2nd, 2019, 3:25 am

Ugh, I'm excited for the new The Twilight Zone series, but I don't feel like subscribing to CBS All Access while each episode will only be released on a weekly basis (if I'm reading things correctly. The first two episodes are up now but only the first is free).. I'll probably just wait until it concludes and then try and watch it all within a month. Also, idk if this is the most appropriate thread to post this in because it's being aired on a tv network's streaming site but not on the actual tv network. The move is an obvious attempt by the network to get people to use their streaming site.

Anyways, the first episode is up and free on Youtube and Amazon Prime. Below is the youtube link for the first episode.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 2nd, 2019, 3:52 am

I'd think it would be at the point where these corporations start to realize that we can't all SUBSCRIBE TO EVERYTHING. These new cult must-see shows are going to inevitably bite into each other if the consumer has to choose between paying for only a certain number out of the dozen different subscription services that have something on s/he wants. I can't see myself paying for more than 2 right now, and that's what I got, and neither of them is CBSAA, so tough shit TZ unless it shows up free somewhere.

sebby

Post by sebby » April 2nd, 2019, 3:59 am

OldAle1 wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 3:52 am
I'd think it would be at the point where these corporations start to realize that we can't all SUBSCRIBE TO EVERYTHING. These new cult must-see shows are going to inevitably bite into each other if the consumer has to choose between paying for only a certain number out of the dozen different subscription services that have something on s/he wants. I can't see myself paying for more than 2 right now, and that's what I got, and neither of them is CBSAA, so tough shit TZ unless it shows up free somewhere.
Well wait a decade or two and 3 or so megacorps will own everything so you'll just have those few services surgically implanted behind your ear or whatever and voila -- access to everything.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 6th, 2019, 11:36 pm

Finished season 2 of Stranger Things a few days ago. Possibly minor spoilers below. I really liked it this time, my boyfriend said he tried to watch it when he was really depressed and didn’t like it either so I guess it doesn’t go well with depression. For the most part I found the actors and characters pretty solid, they had good chemistry with each other, the atmosphere was good, story was fun and the subplots interlocked well. The monster and the upside down were showed a lot but were still fresh and ‘scary’ every time they were shown which is impressive. Season 2 felt more like a video game and some of the character developments were annoying, I also didn’t like how everyone got a girlfriend or whatever by the end because they’re like 12 and it’s pointless. The weakest character, and actor, is 11 though which is irritating because she’s so central to the show. Her inability to speak properly is really annoying and serves only to have the other characters say preachy stuff or to overly explain the plot so she doesn’t feel like a proper character but just ‘dumb person to forward narrative’. Her subplot in season 2 was the lamest and most boring part of the entire show. I like all the main boys except for Will, but could be bias, and he doesn’t get as much time to develop since he’s always being stolen or whatever. Still when it ended I was sad to leave the world behind.

I then started watching The 3%, aka Dutch Angles: The Show. I hadn’t realised that I’d watched some of it before until I was part way through the first episode but apparently I’d seen 4/5 eps before. Man it is bad. I really like the idea but it’s so stupid and has no depth to anything it does. It feels cheap, shallow and aimed at teens. The characters are supposed to be 20 but look 30 and don’t act like 20 year olds. I also do not buy that any of the main characters would be the best 3% of the population just because they can solve some really lame and pointless lateral thinking problems. Don’t even know why I’m watching it tbh it but I guess I wanna see where it leads. And omg so many Dutch angles like Jesus Christ every second shot. Way to make your show look even more amateur.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 10th, 2019, 4:14 am

Realised Netflix had seasons 4-6 of American Horror Story, and I never finished season 4 so I'm catching up on that now. I just finished the fourth season and it's by far the weakest (so far). I haven't liked any season quite as much as the first one but 2 and 3 both grew on me. The fourth was just a complete mess. Hoping 5 and 6 are better.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 13th, 2019, 7:15 am

Also forgot to mention I bingewatched Love, Death and Robots recently. It was pretty hit and miss (mostly miss), but they mostly all had some kind of interesting element to them. Episodes ranked:

Very good
Three Robots
When The Yoghurt Took Over
Helping Hand

Good
Ice Age

Ok
The Dump
Sonnie's Edge

Meh
The Witness
Suits
Zima Blue
Shape-Shifters
The Secret War
Alternate Histories
Sucker of Souls
Blind Spot
Good Hunting
Lucky 13
Fish Night

I also realised that Game of Thrones is ending soon and I'm three seasons behind sooo I'm going to catch up on that very soon.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 23rd, 2019, 4:07 am

I thought I'd give the new Twilight Zone series a shot... it's absolutely terrible. I've only watched the first 2 eps but damn are they are a chore to get through. Peele is a boring host, the episodes are boring and dumb, the acting sucks, the twists are stupid.. Each episode is an hour long and they need about 30 minutes cut out of each. Don't know who the hell thought this would be a good idea.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 23rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

Bf and I finished Cowboy Bebop a few weeks ago. The ending was kinda lame, I felt like their back stories weren’t very interesting and didn’t hold much weight throughout the series so to make the finale all about that was just kind of a letdown and too anime-ish. Also Ein is the best character and not having him around made it more boring. Still got the movie to watch tho. And gonna get my bf to watch Firefly with me at some point.

I’ve started watching The Blacklist. It’s kind of generic and dumb FBI nonsense but entertaining enough. James Spader without hair is sad tho.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 23rd, 2019, 5:12 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 12:13 pm
I’ve started watching The Blacklist. It’s kind of generic and dumb FBI nonsense but entertaining enough. James Spader without hair is sad tho.
I watched the first two or three seasons. Good enough entertainment, but it doesn't go beyond that. The story arc of the series just doesn't hold up over time for me.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 28th, 2019, 7:53 pm

The newest episode of Attack on Titan has a 9.9 rating on IMDb with almost 9000 votes (it had a perfect 10 for a while). I have no objections. Also, every episode this season - there have been 17 so far - has a 9.0 average or higher, as did every single episode in Season 2.

Has anyone else been watching this amazing season?

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 30th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Anyone been watching 'Chernobyl', the new highest rated TV Series on IMDb?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7366338/reference

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d