Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

The TV Lounge

brokenface
Donator

Re: The TV Lounge

Post by brokenface » September 30th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
September 30th, 2018, 4:40 pm
Watched the first episode of Sharp Objects, don't think I'll watch anymore this weekend.

How's Maniac, looks interesting but I'm not the biggest fan of Jonah Hill.
I enjoyed it. bit of a mixed bag 'cause it jumps around in tone and style, but it just about manages to hold together. Comparisons: Legion (tv series), Spike Jonze/Charlie Kaufman, High Rise for the 70s/80s retro-future style.

Jonah Hill is main role, but he's mostly playing a very withdrawn, depressed character, so you might not find him too objectionable. I probably would've taken a while to recognise him, tbh. Emma Stone's good.

kathulu

Post by kathulu » October 2nd, 2018, 6:33 pm

I'm absolutely loving Maniac, it's so weird and stylized, and I love when TV/film is looking at the way minds work in intricate ways. I'm just halfway in the season now, and I had to take a nap earlier. Oh boy was that nap intense, hahah. They all made an apperance, that's for sure.

Cinematic history journey: https://twitter.com/Katlovesmovies1

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 20th, 2018, 11:17 am

Making a Murderer Part 2 :woot:
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 25th, 2018, 8:02 pm

So I was watching a Star Trek episode (off Deep Space 9), then resumed another series and immediately a Star Trek spoof came on!
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 4th, 2018, 1:41 pm

The trailer for the new David Attenborough series is epic:

BBC also has new Louis Theroux and new People Just Do Nothing coming up this week. :pleasing: Does anyone else watch PJDN? It's become one of my favourite ever comedies.
Let the ashes fly

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » November 4th, 2018, 2:51 pm

flaiky wrote:
November 4th, 2018, 1:41 pm
The trailer for the new David Attenborough series is epic:

BBC also has new Louis Theroux and new People Just Do Nothing coming up this week. :pleasing: Does anyone else watch PJDN? It's become one of my favourite ever comedies.
People Just Do Nothing is pretty funny, only seen episodes here and there though.

BBC's been on a pretty good roll lately. Watched Black Earth Rising & Killing Eve which were good, Bodyguard fell flat in 2nd half but was pretty entertaining. looking forward to The Little Drummer Girl and Dynasties.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » November 11th, 2018, 7:21 pm

For those in the Uk Tonight on BBC They Shall Not Grow Old by Peter Jackson bringing WW1 films back to life BBC 1 9.30 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... ar-footage

Amazing how it has been done.

sebby

Post by sebby » November 12th, 2018, 4:13 am

kathulu wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 6:33 pm
I'm absolutely loving Maniac, it's so weird and stylized, and I love when TV/film is looking at the way minds work in intricate ways. I'm just halfway in the season now, and I had to take a nap earlier. Oh boy was that nap intense, hahah. They all made an apperance, that's for sure.
8 episodes through Maniac and I'm stunned how good Jonah Hill is. The show is bordering on brilliant, depending on how the last two episodes shake it out. The genre-bouncing is jarring, but I think it works, and is a solid metaphor for certain kinds of mental illness. And of course the overall aesthetic is pretty jawdropping.

(Seriously though, I had no idea Jonah Hill was a legit really good actor. Emma Stone is still flavor of the month generic and forgettable, but all the other performances are fantastic, particularly Hill's [and Sally FIeld's]).

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » November 12th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Anyone watching The Little Drummer Girl? I probably won't start til the whole thing has aired.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 12th, 2018, 9:23 pm

sebby wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 4:13 am
Emma Stone is still flavor of the month generic and forgettable,
You're a dead man :angry:

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 12th, 2018, 9:50 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 8:50 pm
Anyone watching The Little Drummer Girl? I probably won't start til the whole thing has aired.
I didn't know it was already airing (in the U.S., the premiere is next week). I've been following it for a while, very interested to watch. When I see it I'll bring back my thoughts here under spoiler tags.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » November 12th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Yep, the third episode aired in the UK last night.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 12th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 8:50 pm
I wasn't interested until learning Park Chan-wook directed it. Now I am.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » November 12th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Thanks, wasn't aware it was out yet. Starting it tonight, then.

And it looks like our flat does have BBC1, so that's sick, I could follow the remaining episodes on TV when they're aired.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 4th, 2018, 9:17 pm

currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Once in a while, Saturday Night Live is still capable of making a good sketch, and it's usually the late-in-the-show weird ones that are very niche. Matt Damon was the host in the latest episode and he really commits to this Weezer sketch, I thought it was quite funny:

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 23rd, 2018, 12:19 am

My boyfriend and I watched the first 2 episodes of Cowboy Bebop (yes I’m finally getting around to watching it) last night. I was honestly really surprised at how good it was and how much I enjoyed it. We both loved the editing, and as I generally have issues with anime and animation, particularly sci-fi because I feel animation loses all the reality grounding that is important for me in sci-fi because ‘anything can happen’ (eg like Dead Leaves) what I really liked was how much it felt just like a regular show. The animation and cinematography were nice, and along with the editing it really made the story, characters and humor stand out more than the fact it was animated. Can definitely see the similarities to Firefly, especially with the music. I thought this was going to be a chore of a show to get through but really looking forward to watching the rest :thumbsup:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 26th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Cowboy Bebop is a work of art and hopefully you'll love it even more as it goes on. :cheers:

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 27th, 2018, 3:10 pm

big fat quiz of the year 2018 seems to be online!

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 27th, 2018, 7:30 pm

nimimerkillinen wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 3:10 pm
watched it last night. pretty by the numbers. Winkleman was adorkable. David Mitchell got an epic rant in. Various Channel 4 plug-ins vaguely disguised as "guests". Ayoade and Fielding played it weird and anarcho. The two floating spots, Wolf and Gilligan, got some decent jokes in (except for that random guy on twitter or reddit who really hates female comics, americans and/or non-whites who are only there because of those blasted diversity quotas!!!!11).

basically, enjoyable as it always is. except ->the primary school skit was extremely sub-par. and I really thought that Yanni/Laurel bullshit was like three years ago.

new Travel Man tonight!!

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » December 28th, 2018, 11:13 am

So, the new Black Mirror: Bandersnatch - what constitutes a check?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 28th, 2018, 11:15 am

watching every possible iteration.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 28th, 2018, 12:19 pm

speaking of something somewhat related, is People Just Do Nothing worth watching, especially if I'm only aware of it because of Asim Chaudhry? I liked him on Taskmaster.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 28th, 2018, 3:04 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 7:30 pm
nimimerkillinen wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 3:10 pm
watched it last night. pretty by the numbers. Winkleman was adorkable. David Mitchell got an epic rant in. Various Channel 4 plug-ins vaguely disguised as "guests". Ayoade and Fielding played it weird and anarcho. The two floating spots, Wolf and Gilligan, got some decent jokes in (except for that random guy on twitter or reddit who really hates female comics, americans and/or non-whites who are only there because of those blasted diversity quotas!!!!11).

basically, enjoyable as it always is. except ->the primary school skit was extremely sub-par. and I really thought that Yanni/Laurel bullshit was like three years ago.

new Travel Man tonight!!
was watchable but yeah nothing special by bfqy standards, only one i didnt find funny was gilligan but at least he was likeable (had no idea who he was tho)

flaiky

Post by flaiky » December 28th, 2018, 3:54 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 12:19 pm
speaking of something somewhat related, is People Just Do Nothing worth watching, especially if I'm only aware of it because of Asim Chaudhry? I liked him on Taskmaster.
It's fantastic, up there with my all time favourite comedies. Series 2 and 3 are especially great. Chaudhry plays a major character and is totally hilarious, but honestly every character cracks me up.

That said, I'm really not sure how it would translate outside the UK, but I assume you're British?
Let the ashes fly

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 29th, 2018, 1:31 am

flaiky wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 3:54 pm
funkybusiness wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 12:19 pm
It's fantastic, up there with my all time favourite comedies. Series 2 and 3 are especially great. Chaudhry plays a major character and is totally hilarious, but honestly every character cracks me up.

That said, I'm really not sure how it would translate outside the UK, but I assume you're British?
USer but I consume a lot of British culture. I'll give it a go sometime soon!

flaiky

Post by flaiky » December 29th, 2018, 2:39 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 1:31 am
USer but I consume a lot of British culture. I'll give it a go sometime soon!
Huh, interesting, I honestly didn't expect that anyone abroad would watch shows like Quiz of the Year, Travel Man and Taskmaster!

I'd actually be really curious to hear your response to PJDN. One of the main reasons I personally love it is that the parody of the subculture is perfect. The first time I stumbled upon the show, it truly took me 5 minutes to decide if it was a bunch of idiots in a documentary or an intentional comedy, that's how realistic the characters are! This might be a bit lost on "outsiders", but I don't know, maybe it's not necessary to appreciate it. The accent/dialect/slang is also very thick, but totally authentic so if you're an Anglophile you might enjoy seeing this side as opposed to the usual perfect Richard Ayoade-style delivery...or be totally repelled, heh.

Have you seen any of Peep Show, Gavin & Stacey, Outnumbered, Peter Kay's Car Share, Green Wing? Those are my other favourite UK comedies.
Let the ashes fly

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 11th, 2019, 12:30 am

About halfway through Cowboy Bebop now. It’s taking a while since I’m watching it with the boyfriend otherwise I would’ve binged it all by now. It’s frustrating but nice only watching 1-2 eps here and there. I’m not sure if there’s still stuff to come that will change my mind but as much as I enjoy it there are things I don’t particularly like. Out of the characters the dog is my favourite and I like Spike but don’t care about the rest, and Ed is a complete waste of time. I don’t like Faye much either since she reminds me that it’s just anime with the token bimbo girl character. I also have found the weakest episodes are the ones that deal with their pasts, the ones with Vicious and the one with Jet’s backstory were the weakest episodes so far, though part 2 of Jupiter Jazz or whatever wasn’t as bad as part 1. I think my favourite ep so far was the one with the space creature that was biting all the crew.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 13th, 2019, 8:45 pm

New season of True Detective starts tonight, starring Mahershala Ali. Let’s hope it’s better than the weird mess that was season 2...

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 14th, 2019, 5:38 am

Wife and I just finished Nathan for You this evening and dear god is that show weird and good. It's like every episode starts with a premise or two like "that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen - there's absolutely ZERO chance that's going to work... right?" where you just have to see where it goes. Dry and awkward humor with a lot of wittiness and self-awareness to it. Absolutely hilarious.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 14th, 2019, 6:19 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 5:38 am
Wife and I just finished Nathan for You this evening and dear god is that show weird and good. It's like every episode starts with a premise or two like "that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen - there's absolutely ZERO chance that's going to work... right?" where you just have to see where it goes. Dry and awkward humor with a lot of wittiness and self-awareness to it. Absolutely hilarious.
Yeah, Nathan Fielder is brilliant. I love this kind of humor, and I’m sad that there apparently won’t be any more seasons of Nathan for You. Hard to pick a favorite of Nathan’s “ideas” to help businesses, but the hotel sex box bit probably had me laughing my ass off the most.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » January 14th, 2019, 6:26 am

Wonderful show w/ maybe my favorite series finale ever. Too bad people didn't watch it.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 14th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Hotel sex box is up there with my favorite ideas, too. And yeah - that was a strangely dramatic finale, one I didn't suspect.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 14th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Yeah, the finale with Bill Gates impersonator guy was different but really good. The bits involving the "repeat" folks that Nathan brought back after their initial appearance were always good...I'm thinking 'bout Bill Gates guy, the big boobs-obsessed security guard ("Simons Sees", lol), the wannabe reality show host Anthony Napoli that Nathan kept saying had a threesome with two men. Gold.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » January 14th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Anyone watch True Detective? I'm considering whether to get HBO Now again or just to wait until the return of GoT.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » January 16th, 2019, 3:30 am

mightysparks wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 12:19 am
My boyfriend and I watched the first 2 episodes of Cowboy Bebop (yes I’m finally getting around to watching it) last night. I was honestly really surprised at how good it was and how much I enjoyed it. We both loved the editing, and as I generally have issues with anime and animation, particularly sci-fi because I feel animation loses all the reality grounding that is important for me in sci-fi because ‘anything can happen’ (eg like Dead Leaves) what I really liked was how much it felt just like a regular show. The animation and cinematography were nice, and along with the editing it really made the story, characters and humor stand out more than the fact it was animated. Can definitely see the similarities to Firefly, especially with the music. I thought this was going to be a chore of a show to get through but really looking forward to watching the rest :thumbsup:
If you want to watch more anime after you finish it, here are a few recommendations:
If you like the style and editing of Cowboy Bebop, you might like Samurai Champloo, by the same director.
If you're interested in watching realistic anime, targeted toward a mature audience, you might like Planetes and Monster.
Planetes is probably the most realistic sci-fi anime series. It's about a group of people who work in space, set in 2075.
Monster is a thriller about a doctor who's trying to track down a serial killer. It has noirish style, and the character design is more realistic than most anime.

I might watch Firefly soon, so if I do, it'll be interesting to see if it reminds me of Cowboy Bebop.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 16th, 2019, 3:34 am

My housemate also recommended me Monster, will try and check out the others too.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » January 16th, 2019, 10:40 pm

The space + western hybrid of Firefly is definitely reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop, as well as some of the music. In terms of plot it borrows more than a little from another anime series, Outlaw Star (it even recreated some shots from that series as a specific homage). Hope you like it. :cheers:

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 18th, 2019, 4:56 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 10:58 pm
Anyone watch True Detective? I'm considering whether to get HBO Now again or just to wait until the return of GoT.
I've watched the two-episode premiere. Pretty good so far, though rather procedural to this point and so far it really seems to be going back to the season 1 template (2 detectives, going back and forth between multiple timelines, white trash-y setting, etc.) versus the over-stuffed cast of characters and subplots from the messy, wannabe-Chinatown 2nd season. I'm interested enough to keep going with this, certainly.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 27th, 2019, 12:37 am

Wanted to watch some recent horror movies after working on TSZDT yesterday but my internet was being weird so opted for Netflix instead. Tried to watch that Sabrina show but stopped after about 10 minutes because it was awful. Moved on to The Haunting of Hill House which isn’t great but is decently entertaining and after I got used to it I quite liked the weaving timelines and getting to know the characters.

Also a while ago I started watching Planet Earth as a show to watch while boyfriend was working since I couldn’t watch Bebop by myself but then he watched an ep with me and I have to watch it with him now. We have one episode left but I’m glad we have a sequel and the Blue Planet ones. I usually don’t care for nature documentaries but I’ve really enjoyed this and I like that it’s not all about the ‘cute animals’ and talks about each ecosystem and how it works the whole year. Pretty cool stuff and pretty imagery.