Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1940s (Results), Shorts (Nov 16th), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Vuelven, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

The TV Lounge

flaiky

The TV Lounge

Post by flaiky » June 17th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Has anyone else watched the true crime docuseries The Staircase, which was recently added to Netflix?

I binged the fudge out of it this week, it's SO GOOD. Gripping as hell. Maybe the best true crime documentary I've seen because it's so intimately involved from the start: filming the suspect Michael Peterson and his family at home, the defense team building their case, and capturing every aspect of the trial and other legal proceedings (it's funny - I don't really have any interest in "courtroom dramas", but I find footage from real trials fascinating). The death at the centre is bizarre, and the story only gets crazier with many twists and turns. It's very well produced (the director won an Oscar for the doc "Murder on a Sunday Morning", if that gives some idea of his skill), and covers the case from 2002 to 2017, which is pretty amazing.

It's definitely biased, but from the start it's clearly a film about the suspect and his defense, not about the investigation. Considering how complicated his case is, it's fascinating to have their perspective and see how they attempt to handle things. It's just important to stay neutral while watching, pay attention to some of the small things that get mentioned, and do your own research afterwards. From what I can tell so far, this is less guilty of manipulation than the WM3 films or Making a Murderer. Whether or not Peterson is guilty? Well...

Edit: Oh, if you're even remotely interested, don't read anything about it beforehand. Not a thing. Stay miles away from the trailer. Watching everything unravel onscreen is incredible.
Last edited by flaiky on June 17th, 2018, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 17th, 2018, 5:29 pm

That's exactly the sort of thing I did... I may have to add that to the list. Thanks for pointing that out!

sebby

Post by sebby » June 17th, 2018, 9:13 pm

flaiky on Jun 17 2018, 06:26:26 AM wrote:Has anyone else watched the true crime docuseries The Staircase, which was recently added to Netflix?

I binged the fudge out of it this week, it's SO GOOD. Gripping as hell. Maybe the best true crime documentary I've seen because it's so intimately involved from the start: filming the suspect Michael Peterson and his family at home, the defense team building their case, and capturing every aspect of the trial and other legal proceedings (it's funny - I don't really have any interest in "courtroom dramas", but I find footage from real trials fascinating). The death at the centre is bizarre, and the story only gets crazier with many twists and turns. It's very well produced (the director won an Oscar for the doc "Murder on a Sunday Morning", if that gives some idea of his skill), and covers the case from 2002 to 2017, which is pretty amazing.

It's definitely biased, but from the start it's clearly a film about the suspect and his defense, not about the investigation. Considering how complicated his case is, it's fascinating to have their perspective and see how they attempt to handle things. It's just important to stay neutral while watching, pay attention to some of the small things that get mentioned, and do your own research afterwards. From what I can tell so far, this is less guilty of manipulation than the WM3 films or Making a Murderer. Whether or not Peterson is guilty? Well...

Edit: Oh, if you're even remotely interested, don't read anything about it beforehand. Not a thing. Stay miles away from the trailer. Watching everything unravel onscreen is incredible.
I watched it years ago and watched the new epilogue last week.

It is very gripping.

Petersen comes off as so unlikeable and generally very unnatural. Like an alien pretending at being a human being, but only getting it about 80% right.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 17th, 2018, 9:35 pm

have you watched The Jinx, flaiky?
spoilersShow
that one was ruined by the evening news as it was airing.
Last edited by funkybusiness on June 17th, 2018, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » June 17th, 2018, 10:36 pm

@Sebby, I mostly found Peterson...
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
quite charismatic and occasionally moving - but I still couldn't ignore the facts of the crime, and I knew there would be even more to it that the documentary was hiding (as there always is), so it becomes a case of knowing that this chirpy, articulate guy must really be a psycho. It's pretty disturbing seeing someone who's almost certainly a murderer act so convincingly innocent; to the point that none of his family are able to accept it, despite the physical evidence and despite admitting they have no idea what happened to Kathleen (ie, even they don't believe it was an accident). It's fascinating to get intimate access to someone so deceptive. I almost think that's the main value of the documentary.
@FunkyBusiness, yes I've seen The Jinx, that's also fantastic. Luckily I wasn't spoiled because the ending is (D:)
Last edited by flaiky on June 17th, 2018, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the ashes fly

sebby

Post by sebby » June 17th, 2018, 11:02 pm

flaiky on Jun 17 2018, 04:36:17 PM wrote:@Sebby, I mostly found Peterson...
quite charismatic and occasionally moving - but I still couldn't ignore the facts of the crime, and I knew there would be even more to it that the documentary was hiding (as there always is), so it becomes a case of knowing that this chirpy, articulate guy must really be a psycho. It's pretty disturbing seeing someone who's almost certainly a murderer act so convincingly innocent; to the point that none of his family are able to accept it, despite the physical evidence and despite admitting they have no idea what happened to Kathleen (ie, even they don't believe it was an accident). It's fascinating to get intimate access to someone so deceptive. I almost think that's the main value of the documentary.
Interesting, I thought
Petersen was very unconvincing. If all I saw were his interviews, explanations, etc, and no evidence against him or counter argument from the prosecution, I would still think he was 100% guilty. His manner of speaking, comportment, amplified/exaggerated reactions to things, all screamed BAD LIAR to me.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 26th, 2018, 8:11 am

I started watching The Handmaids Tale the other day. I’m up to 1.7. I don’t remember the book that well so can’t compare. It has a lot of problems, my main annoyance being the ‘look how traumatized I am’ ECU shot of Moss’s derped out trauma face that is shown 500 times per episode. I also don’t really like Moss in general and find her unlikable. Don’t like her much here either but she’s tolerable. It takes itself a bit too seriously I think and I find it rushes through some things, eg the apparent attraction to the driver dude which had to be explicitly told through the narration because of their total lack of chemistry. I don’t like the narration much either. It annoys me in lots of ways but I still find it enjoyable and it’s a good distraction from anxiety.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

flaiky

Post by flaiky » June 26th, 2018, 11:33 pm

sebby on Jun 17 2018, 05:02:05 PM wrote:
flaiky on Jun 17 2018, 04:36:17 PM wrote:@Sebby, I mostly found Peterson...
Interesting, I thought
Petersen was very unconvincing. If all I saw were his interviews, explanations, etc, and no evidence against him or counter argument from the prosecution, I would still think he was 100% guilty. His manner of speaking, comportment, amplified/exaggerated reactions to things, all screamed BAD LIAR to me.
So last night I listened to Peterson's 2017 interview with the Beyond a Reasonable Doubt podcast, and this time I had the exact same response as you - he could hardly be less convincing. His reactions and answers to the questions are so off!

The whole podcast is dedicated to the case btw, I've listened to the first few episodes (plus the full interview with Candace) and it's great so far - well produced, with input from many key figures, while covering points that The Staircase missed and certainly approaching the case from a different angle. Highly recommended.
Last edited by flaiky on June 26th, 2018, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the ashes fly

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 28th, 2018, 12:40 am

I'm trying to catch up on Jeopardy right now

Imagehttps://i.imgur.com/1doI23K.png

Only 179 episodes to go
Last edited by blueboybob on June 28th, 2018, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 28th, 2018, 12:48 am

the tournament of champions from '14 and '15 were nuts (Arthur, Alex, Sweater Lady, Ben, Maaaattt) and I didn't think '17 had a chance of being nearly as good but it was really that good. helped with the personalities of the contestants. you're just about there I hope you enjoy it.

(also there is definitely a drop in difficulty for regular episodes from season '16-'17, right? I wasn't just imagining it? thankfully they've cranked it back up for this year).

also I hate any of the kids tournaments or the teachers tournament. ouhhhhhhggghgsdhfsdkjh the college tournament, why is there always a recurring category of school songs? Just because you're at college doesn't mean you're an expert of every one else's college especially something like "oh here's a shitty quality three second clip of a marching band playing the school song for one of those forty thousand fucking SEC colleges that you wouldn't know exist if you don't pay attention to college football."
Last edited by funkybusiness on June 28th, 2018, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 28th, 2018, 12:54 am

I'm in Austin's run right now. I love him and Buzzy.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 28th, 2018, 1:19 am

Austin is my favorite. Buzzy's pretty great as well. His taunts at Alex about taking the hosting gig once Alex retires/dies is always great (and, in fact, spoiler, Buzzy showed up to a taping a couple weeks ago, just to, like, watch Jeopardy live, and again taunted him about taking his job).

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 28th, 2018, 1:20 am

There is a youtube video I'll post when you're done with the '17 Tournament of Champions so be sure to post again.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 2nd, 2018, 2:52 am

Finished catching up with The Handmaid's Tale yesterday. It's such a frustrating show. There are a lot of good elements that make me want to keep watching, but so many bad ones that prevent it from ever being great. Season 2 has also thrown away a lot of the world building of season 1, eg, in season 1 the world was very strict and any kind of stepping out of line resulted in severe punishment. In season 2, Janine (who for some reason is allowed to go by her original name) and Offred casually chat whilst one of the guards keeps telling them off for talking and Offred snaps at the guard, who basically shrugs his shoulders and leaves. They had to find secret little corners to talk for a few seconds in season 1, and now it's fine for them to do it in the open. Everything that happens is extremely contrived, with characters making stupid decisions just to drag a plot point out for a longer time, and at the same time it rushes through all the important things. I really don't like the acting still, but I think it's more of a problem with some bad casting choices and bad direction. Strahovski is probably the strongest actor of the bunch, everyone else annoys me.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 9th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Any fans of Fishing with John (1991)? I'm just about to get to the final two episodes with Dennis Hopper, and I've kinda loved this so far. Odd and funny and very soothing to watch.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » July 9th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Saw one or two of those about, jeez, 12 or 13 years ago now? Damn time flies. Anyway I liked them a lot as I remember, it's one of those things that periodically jumps out in my memory and I think I gotta catch up and watch them all, but...

Anyway maybe now I'll actually add it to a LIST so my chance of remembering/seeing it will increase to something meaningful.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 9th, 2018, 2:23 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 2:03 pm
Saw one or two of those about, jeez, 12 or 13 years ago now? Damn time flies. Anyway I liked them a lot as I remember, it's one of those things that periodically jumps out in my memory and I think I gotta catch up and watch them all, but...

Anyway maybe now I'll actually add it to a LIST so my chance of remembering/seeing it will increase to something meaningful.
Haha, I hear you. Well, all of the Fishing with John episodes are easily findable on YouTube, so that's a plus. So I've seen the first four episodes, where John Lurie fishes with Jim Jarmusch, Tom Waits, Matt Dillon and then Willem Dafoe...I guess the Dafoe one would be my favorite so far (ice fishing in northern Maine), largely because he actually seemed like a good sport/enthusiastic to be there. Though it's also funny when the guest seems to want no part of the fishing trip, like Waits and Dillon. The occasional non-sequiturs from the narrator are gold, too.

sebby

Post by sebby » July 11th, 2018, 7:01 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 1:59 pm
Any fans of Fishing with John (1991)? I'm just about to get to the final two episodes with Dennis Hopper, and I've kinda loved this so far. Odd and funny and very soothing to watch.
I love it. The episode with Defoe is really wonderful.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 25th, 2018, 1:29 pm

My housemate recommended me Dirk Gently and Altered Carbon so binge watched those. I hated the humour in Dirk Gently and basically everyone in it except Elijah Wood. But I liked the world, and the story and stuff. So it was fun but a bit dumb and not funny. Altered Carbon is so over the top ridiculous but kind of feels like a comic so it kind of works. The world is really interesting, and it has a nice emotional core, fun action and manages to surprise at times.

My bf and I are slowly watching 13 Reasons Why. I call it 13 Reasons to Cry because it's so goddamn awful. I just want everyone to die a painful death. Painfully generic American parents, Juno kind of quirky teenagers, and omg let's talk about 21st century and retro stuff for the millionth time and how coooool it is to be retro omg #nohashtag. Stupid horrible characters.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » July 29th, 2018, 3:55 pm

There's new series by Sasha Baron Cohen

Also new series by writer of Eric Andre show (Eric Andre is co-writer on this one too): Mostly 4 Millenials, first season out 8 x 10min episodes, both fun enough

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 29th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Being bedridden the last two days gave me the opportunity to binge watch some doco miniseries. So far I’ve watched Walking With Dinosaurs, and Monsters, and have started Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. Enjoyed all so far. I’ve always had a grudge against dinosaurs after being forced to study them in primary school and so would get out of it as much as possible. But those series were a lot more enjoyable and interesting than the stuff we did at school. I knew most of the stuff mentioned in Cosmos before but not in context, so it’s filling in a lot of gaps for me (particularly with history). Good stuff. Glad I got terribly ill so I could finally watch them.

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » July 30th, 2018, 4:02 am

Another gem from Cohen's latest:

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » July 30th, 2018, 8:22 pm

I watched the first episode of three of Travels in Trumpland with Ed Balls. Ed is a former Labour politician but he takes the trouble to visit US areas to talk to people who voted for Trump including taking part in wrestling and visiting the rednecks with pay checks festival. These are just ordinary working people but they believe The New York billionaire Trump best represents them. They believe what he says that he is best for them. Democrats could do well to watch this -these people are not unintelligent but ordinary working people.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... nd-america

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 1st, 2018, 4:42 pm

Anyone see the latest Comedy Central Roast (with Bruce Willis as the subject)? It wasn't so great. The other recent ones with James Franco and yes, Justin Bieber, were a lot better I thought. I'm not sure why Martha Stewart is suddenly a fixture at these roasts now, her journey in pop culture has gotten pretty weird. Edward Norton's time at the podium was probably the most interesting moment - at times funny, arrogant/self-absorbed as you might expect from his rep, but with a genuine emotional touch at the end. The bizarrely random assortment of roasters was once again quite a thing to behold. Dennis Rodman...why?
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 22nd, 2018, 7:25 am

I've been rewatching the (newer) series of Battlestar Galactica lately. I'm up to 2.15. I was reading about Westworld for my essay, and it talked about BSG as well which started brewing in my mind, and then I was listening to the Ricky Gervais show podcast again and after the ep where Aaron Douglas writes in, I had to watch it. Well, I forgot how addictive it is because I've done almost no homework since I started because all I want to do is watch BSG. There are really annoying stupid TV things that it does that make me roll my eyes (especially the little zooms) and the effects are really dated now but other than that I still think it's really good. I still remember who the Cylon's are and some big moments but I've also forgotten everything in between so it's almost like a new experience. It's already made me tear up TWICE, though something random made me cry near the end of the series when I first watched it too, I think when
minor relationship spoilerShow
Adama and Laura get together. I remember something happy happening and it was the first time I cried out of like happiness lol
and I remember being upset when
major spoilerShow
Tigh is revealed as a Cylon
Anyway, I've found myself liking - or, appreciating - characters that I disliked the first time around, though a lot of the actors still annoy me. I still hate Gaius and Six; I don't like Gaius and I don't like them together, but now I don't mind Six on her own. But feck me that storyline is the most boring. Adama and Roslin were always my favourite characters and I still like them the most. I used to like Helo a lot and he's still ok but kinda bores me now. The religious stuff annoyed me the first time, but now I think of it more as a mythology and I like the tensions it creates. Lee is still the most pointless character.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 28th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Can't wait for the new season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, starting up next Wednesday (Sept. 5). Classic Dennis moment below, need to cherish him since he will be mostly out of the show from now on:

And new South Park starts up just a few weeks later (Sept. 26). :circle:

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 4th, 2018, 4:37 am

We had to give presentations today in our TV unit. Someone did Mr Robot and played the classic 'fuck society' clip. I still haven't seen any more of that show than what those of us here saw from the pilot on that rooftop bar in LA but man it seems so. damn. awful.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 6th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Last night's season premiere of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was a bit...underwhelming. It was weird to see Mindy Kaling in the Sunny-verse. Thankfully Dennis made a great appearance at the end that provided some laughs.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » September 7th, 2018, 4:32 am

My internet went and fucked itself some time in the night two nights ago, and I only just got it back up and running. The tech support lady from whom I was attempting to get my ISP login info may have typo'd in her text message? Or something. my new router was like "bro, that password and shit just is not correct" but then later it started working anyway. I have no fucking clue.

but it's working now and what do I find? Not one but TWO new episodes of TASKMASTER YAAAAAAAAAAA

sebby

Post by sebby » September 7th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Oh look at you with your fancy schmancy router that can talk and swear at you.

Nopros
Donator

Post by Nopros » September 10th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Both Shameless and The Deuce leaked early, good times.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » September 18th, 2018, 10:24 am

#EmmyShermanPalladino :banana:
Let the ashes fly

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » September 18th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Who tanked an awards ceremony host gig worse? Che and Jost, or James Franco and Anne Hathaway?

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 18th, 2018, 7:48 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 7:43 pm
Who tanked an awards ceremony host gig worse? Che and Jost, or James Franco and Anne Hathaway?
Wait, people actually WATCH the Emmys?? :D

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » September 18th, 2018, 7:51 pm

I watch the opening monologues on Youtube. Admittedly I didn't see any of the rest of their material, but it seems from the press releases everyone agrees it didn't get much better.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 18th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Ah. I do like Michael Che on Weekend Update; Colin Jost on the other hand is an even more bland version of Seth Meyers, who I never really cared for. I always catch the Oscars, just could never muster up any interest in the Emmys, since their taste is often in stark contrast to my own.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » September 28th, 2018, 10:55 pm

Anyone seen Sharp Objects? Looking at it and thinking watching Amy Adams for 8 hours straight seems like a good way to piss away the weekend.

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » September 29th, 2018, 12:57 am

I'm watching it off and on via my Amazon Prime with the HBO add on. It's pretty good so far, but some of the characterizations of mental illness, self harm, etc. are a bit too broad in places and there's some really uninteresting supporting players that get far too much time devoted to them. But on the whole it's worth checking out and I'm sure when I actually get around to finishing it, I'll have a more legitimate opinion to offer. ;)

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 29th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 10:55 pm
Anyone seen Sharp Objects? Looking at it and thinking watching Amy Adams for 8 hours straight seems like a good way to piss away the weekend.
Yeah I've seen it. It's got that typical kind of hbo production feel, quality cast, soundtrack etc. Story didn't wholly work for me and it has some hokey aspects, so it ain't up there with the best of them but certainly worth a watch.

I'm applying a similar theory this weekend with Emma Stone + Maniac. Halfway through and enjoying it

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » September 30th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Watched the first episode of Sharp Objects, don't think I'll watch anymore this weekend.

How's Maniac, looks interesting but I'm not the biggest fan of Jonah Hill.