Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1940s (Results), Shorts (Nov 16th), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Vuelven, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

The TV Lounge

maxwelldeux
Donator

The TV Lounge

Post by maxwelldeux » May 18th, 2018, 5:25 pm

AdamH on May 18 2018, 09:13:03 AM wrote:Quick question. Has anyone watched the remix of Season 4? I'm thinking of watching the remix during this re-watch. Did a very quick google and saw some negative reviews.
Wife and I are slowly working our way through the remix, and we live in a house divided.

The remix has a lot of voiceover. I think the editing process has brought it more in line with the structure of the first three seasons, and why it worked so well. I thought Season 4 was the weakest, but the remix is improving a lot of things for me. I'm only a few episodes into the remix, so I don't know how it'll progress, but I'm digging it.

My wife doesn't like Season 4 as much, for almost the same reasons I cited. So it is what it is. :ermm:

sebby

Post by sebby » May 18th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Is there a lot less Seth Rogen and Kristen Wig in the remix? Cuz if so I am down.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 18th, 2018, 11:53 pm

sebby on May 18 2018, 02:35:16 PM wrote:Is there a lot less Seth Rogen and Kristen Wig in the remix? Cuz if so I am down.
Dunno, but I'll report back.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » May 22nd, 2018, 12:43 pm

I've never watched S4. Let me know after you finish if you think I should watch the remix or the original version when I ever find time to watch it. :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » May 22nd, 2018, 7:32 pm

I went to David Lynch's Festival of Disruption the other day, and seeing Au Revoir, Simone perform Lark with Lynchian lighting was like being at the Bang! Bang! at the end credits of a Twin Peaks episode. Absolutely magical.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 22nd, 2018, 8:10 pm

Kasparius on May 22 2018, 01:32:24 PM wrote:I went to David Lynch's Festival of Disruption the other day, and seeing Au Revoir, Simone perform Lark with Lynchian lighting was like being at the Bang! Bang! at the end credits of a Twin Peaks episode. Absolutely magical.
I loved that song in the new Twin Peaks, that sounds like an awesome experience!
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » May 23rd, 2018, 3:19 pm

GruesomeTwosome on May 22 2018, 02:10:32 PM wrote:
Kasparius on May 22 2018, 01:32:24 PM wrote:I went to David Lynch's Festival of Disruption the other day, and seeing Au Revoir, Simone perform Lark with Lynchian lighting was like being at the Bang! Bang! at the end credits of a Twin Peaks episode. Absolutely magical.
I loved that song in the new Twin Peaks, that sounds like an awesome experience!
It really was, apparently the festival will be a yearly thing from now on!

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » May 23rd, 2018, 11:38 pm

That sounds AMAZING!

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 24th, 2018, 12:46 am

Winding Refn's amazon show Too Old to Die Young looks...well...uuuhh...pretty great.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 24th, 2018, 12:56 am

funkybusiness on May 23 2018, 06:46:44 PM wrote:Winding Refn's amazon show Too Old to Die Young looks...well...uuuhh...pretty great.
Wow, hadn't heard about this Refn show until now. Well it certainly has all his trademarks in the trailer. And it uses that Hennessy X.O. music again...nicccccce.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 24th, 2018, 1:08 am

GruesomeTwosome on May 23 2018, 06:56:02 PM wrote:
funkybusiness on May 23 2018, 06:46:44 PM wrote:Winding Refn's amazon show Too Old to Die Young looks...well...uuuhh...pretty great.
Wow, hadn't heard about this Refn show until now. Well it certainly has all his trademarks in the trailer. And it uses that Hennessy X.O. music again...nicccccce.
Hi, this is an automatic response. I'm a bot for linking SotD [Short of the Day] threads when a SotD is mentioned.

viewtopic.php?t=2790&

Thank you for your attention.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 27th, 2018, 6:45 am

Anyone watched The Mortified Guide on Netflix?

I checked out the first two episodes tonight, and it was painfully amazing. In this show, people share their diaries and journals from when they were kids. It's a humorous and dramatic look at how they/we were in our younger years. It's sad and funny and embarrassing and inspiring. I watched the first two episodes with my wife and her cousin, and we all related to different stories.

I mean, if the goal of art is to make you feel, then this series is massively successful. Some of the scenes I related to TOO much. And it made me feel all those awkward embarrassing feelings all over again. Which was good. But also bad. Fascinating series, and helps normalize those feelings we're all embarrassed about.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 29th, 2018, 7:12 pm

I haven't watched it for years but looks like Roseanne is cancelled. She doesn't sound like a very nice person. She even tried to defend Tommy Robinson (infamous for being part of the racist EDL) :yucky:

RBG

Post by RBG » May 29th, 2018, 7:17 pm

roseanne was just revived last year. she is now a trump supporter (on the show and irl). she was getting huge ratings. lots of pressure on abc got her shut down -- faster than i imagined it would happen. loved her old show but she is nuts. she referred to one of obama's advisors as an ape this morning and it's not the first time. she went after chelsea clinton too. chelsea's been taking shit for 30 years and is a class act :thumbsup:
Last edited by RBG on May 29th, 2018, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 29th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Not talking about Roseanne specifically but it is absolutely horrendous reading some of the incredibly ignorant views that are posted online. Major downside of everyone having the internet is exposure to massive racists etc. Would love to think it's all just trolling but clearly some people are just complete idiots.

RBG

Post by RBG » May 29th, 2018, 7:20 pm

yes it is really frightening how many people will express horrible views when there's no accountability
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 29th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Ah, I see what the hubbub is about now...Roseanne compared Valerie Jarrett to a Planet of the Apes character. Yikes.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

RBG

Post by RBG » May 29th, 2018, 7:47 pm

this is the same network that suspended jemelle hill from sportscenter for calling trump a white supremacist (on twitter). they also cancelled an episode of 'black-ish' for a storyline about the NFL protests. owned by DISNEY.
Last edited by RBG on May 29th, 2018, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » May 30th, 2018, 1:50 am

In Roseanne’s defense, these days it’s hard to know the difference between racism that gets you fired versus racism that gets you elected President of the United States.

RBG

Post by RBG » May 30th, 2018, 2:36 am

gotta wonder why john goodman did this, he surely doesn't need the money. roseanne has been off the rails almost ten years
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 30th, 2018, 5:05 am

maxwelldeux on May 9 2018, 12:04:34 AM wrote:
funkybusiness on May 8 2018, 07:52:06 PM wrote:all of this is great news as I just started rewatching the series last monday.
:cheers: :clap:
I rewatched the first season and a bit of season two with my bf at some point and I've started liking it a little less than I used to (it was like my 3rd/4th fave show of all time) but still a solid show. I really hated season 4 though so I don't really have much interest in another season.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sebby

Post by sebby » May 30th, 2018, 6:55 am

RBG on May 29 2018, 08:36:07 PM wrote:gotta wonder why john goodman did this, he surely doesn't need the money. roseanne has been off the rails almost ten years
He might be friendly with a lot of the cast and thought of it as a fun trip down memory lane. Whoops.

My anger here stems from the fact that ABC went ahead with the project to begin with. This is not the first time Roseanne has espoused her horrific views (https://www.vox.com/2018/5/29/17406014/ ... mp-twitter). It's just the first time she's done off the rails with her vile bullshit since the show came back on the air. She ought to have been blacklisted and her career left to die and wither away into dust.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 31st, 2018, 6:25 pm

Looks like right-wingers are trying to look for payback for the Roseanne thing, after Samantha Bee referred to Ivanka as a "feckless cunt" on her TBS show: https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/saman ... spartanntp

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 31st, 2018, 8:10 pm

AdamH on May 29 2018, 01:19:49 PM wrote:Not talking about Roseanne specifically but it is absolutely horrendous reading some of the incredibly ignorant views that are posted online. Major downside of everyone having the internet is exposure to massive racists etc. Would love to think it's all just trolling but clearly some people are just complete idiots.
There was a popular tweet recently where someone said '15 years ago the internet was an escape from the real world. Today, the real world is an escape from the internet'. I think nails it. There's a horrible amount of hateful talk out there, and it never fails to disturb and upset me.

Re the Roseanne thing: I was reading about her after the scandal, and seeing how vile she is on twitter, and was flabbergasted to see that just six years ago she was campaigning to be leader of the Green Party. The most left wing party in the US! How can someone's views change so drastically in such a short space of time?
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 31st, 2018, 10:40 pm

flaiky on May 31 2018, 02:10:44 PM wrote:Re the Roseanne thing: I was reading about her after the scandal, and seeing how vile she is on twitter, and was flabbergasted to see that just six years ago she was campaigning to be leader of the Green Party. The most left wing party in the US! How can someone's views change so drastically in such a short space of time?
mental illness.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » June 1st, 2018, 12:34 am

GruesomeTwosome on May 31 2018, 12:25:18 PM wrote:Looks like right-wingers are trying to look for payback for the Roseanne thing, after Samantha Bee referred to Ivanka as a "feckless cunt" on her TBS show: https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/saman ... spartanntp
Shame about the apology. Glorious opportunity for expressing heartfelt and comprehensive remorse for calling her feckless.

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » June 1st, 2018, 4:34 am

Honestly, I think Samantha Bee was being generous.

RBG

Post by RBG » June 1st, 2018, 4:53 am

Sally Field
‏
@sally_field

I like Samantha Bee a lot, but she is flat wrong to call Ivanka a cunt.

Cunts are powerful, beautiful, nurturing and honest.

12:05 PM - 31 May 2018
girls are allowed to call each other cunts. there is no comparison to roseanne's straight up racist remarks

roseanne has decided not to leave twitter (quel surprise) and is now claiming she didn't even know valerie jarrett was black :wacko:
'
thomas violence
‏
@thomas_violence

I love little cultural differences, like how Americans are super offended by the word cunt but here in Australia we're super offended by school children being slaughtered with automatic weapons

7:18 PM - 31 May 2018
Last edited by RBG on June 1st, 2018, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

jokerswild1 is dead

Post by jokerswild1 is dead » June 1st, 2018, 8:21 am

I'm not a huge fan of Samantha Bee but yea, this did definitely blow up more as a reaction to the Roseanne thing, which is silly.
Last edited by jokerswild1 is dead on July 20th, 2019, 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jokerswild1 is dead

Post by jokerswild1 is dead » June 1st, 2018, 8:24 am

In other TV, I heard FX is marathoning seasons 1 and 2 of Atlanta over the weekend, will try to catch that as I have a strong love for Donald Glover. Great on Community, records music as Childish Gambino, got hired as a writer on 30 Rock right out of college, is Lando Calrissian, etc...

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 9th, 2018, 4:08 pm

I've re-watched the first three seasons of Arrested Development. Third season was easily the weakest for me.

Started the re-mix of the fourth season. Main memory of the original fourth season was that it was a slog to get through and the episodes were too long. Don't fancy re-watching it again to compare it to the remix so will stick with this version. Main thoughts so far is that the episodes are shorter and it feels a little more like Arrested Development but I really can't say I've found it funnier so far. Early on, AD had me laughing out loud but not this season so far.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 9th, 2018, 5:19 pm

AdamH on Jun 9 2018, 10:08:27 AM wrote:I've re-watched the first three seasons of Arrested Development. Third season was easily the weakest for me.

Started the re-mix of the fourth season. Main memory of the original fourth season was that it was a slog to get through and the episodes were too long. Don't fancy re-watching it again to compare it to the remix so will stick with this version. Main thoughts so far is that the episodes are shorter and it feels a little more like Arrested Development but I really can't say I've found it funnier so far. Early on, AD had me laughing out loud but not this season so far.
I'm at pretty much the same spot - I think they added some footage back in for the remix and upped the voiceover narration some. And I think it brings season 4 more in line with the flow and feel of the prior three seasons. I'm about a half dozen or so episodes into the remix of S4 and am definitely enjoying it much more than the original cut.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 9th, 2018, 5:28 pm

maxwelldeux on Jun 9 2018, 11:19:03 AM wrote:
AdamH on Jun 9 2018, 10:08:27 AM wrote:I've re-watched the first three seasons of Arrested Development. Third season was easily the weakest for me.

I'm at pretty much the same spot - I think they added some footage back in for the remix and upped the voiceover narration some. And I think it brings season 4 more in line with the flow and feel of the prior three seasons. I'm about a half dozen or so episodes into the remix of S4 and am definitely enjoying it much more than the original cut.
It's not a struggle to get through for me whereas the original was. So far, I think it's missing Michael who was generally the central character before and, also, George Michael and Maeby have only been in it for a line or two so far and I always liked that storyline.

It's definitely more in line with the previous seasons which has been an improvement for me.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 9th, 2018, 6:10 pm

AdamH on Jun 9 2018, 11:28:16 AM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Jun 9 2018, 11:19:03 AM wrote:

It's not a struggle to get through for me whereas the original was. So far, I think it's missing Michael who was generally the central character before and, also, George Michael and Maeby have only been in it for a line or two so far and I always liked that storyline.

It's definitely more in line with the previous seasons which has been an improvement for me.
I think they're doing it a bit more chronologically, and Michael's stuff doesn't come until later, which is why we haven't seen him much yet. And both George Michael and Maeby weren't in the original cut all that much, so it doesn't surprise me they aren't in the remix much.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 9th, 2018, 6:15 pm

maxwelldeux on Jun 9 2018, 12:10:02 PM wrote:
AdamH on Jun 9 2018, 11:28:16 AM wrote:
maxwelldeux on Jun 9 2018, 11:19:03 AM wrote:I'm at pretty much the same spot - I think they added some footage back in for the remix and upped the voiceover narration some. And I think it brings season 4 more in line with the flow and feel of the prior three seasons. I'm about a half dozen or so episodes into the remix of S4 and am definitely enjoying it much more than the original cut.

I think they're doing it a bit more chronologically, and Michael's stuff doesn't come until later, which is why we haven't seen him much yet. And both George Michael and Maeby weren't in the original cut all that much, so it doesn't surprise me they aren't in the remix much.
Yeah I wasn't comparing the remix to the original. Was comparing season four in general to the earlier seasons in terms of George Michael, Maeby and Michael

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 9th, 2018, 6:25 pm

AdamH on Jun 9 2018, 12:15:58 PM wrote:Yeah I wasn't comparing the remix to the original. Was comparing season four in general to the earlier seasons in terms of George Michael, Maeby and Michael
Oh I see. I think it makes sense, though, because at least Michael Cera and Jason Bateman are quite busy with other commitments, so I was surprised they were in S4 as much as they were. I'm less familiar with Alia Shawkat, but her IMDB page indicates she's pretty busy, too.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 10th, 2018, 2:24 am

I have one week left of semester and then I’m on holidays. I plan to watch a few TV shows; I want to rewatch Twin Peaks so I can watch the new season, a housemate recommended me The Terror so that too, I also want to check out 13 Reasons Why because everyone on this rape support I’m on keeps talking about how triggery it is even though it just looks like lame teen show.

Anything else from the last 5 years or so worth checking out? People gave me some recs a while ago which are still on my watchlist here: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027376586/
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 10th, 2018, 2:26 am

Good_Will_Harding on Apr 24 2018, 10:00:46 AM wrote:Image

The Handmaid's Tale Season 2 is pretty gnarly.
Is season one any good? I saw the first episode and it was too slow paced for me.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 10th, 2018, 5:54 pm

allisoncm on Jun 9 2018, 08:26:59 PM wrote:The Handmaid's Tale Season 2 is pretty gnarly.
Is season one any good? I saw the first episode and it was too slow paced for me.[/quote]I'm 8 episodes in, and I think it's fantastic - it does start slow, and while the pacing is never fast, it picks up. But what I'm loving is the build - they keep adding more detail to this world, and it all starts interweaving and building up to a hell of a crescendo. It's been horrifying and fascinating at the same time.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 12th, 2018, 7:03 pm

maxwelldeux on Jun 10 2018, 11:54:07 AM wrote:
allisoncm on Jun 9 2018, 08:26:59 PM wrote:The Handmaid's Tale Season 2 is pretty gnarly.
Is season one any good? I saw the first episode and it was too slow paced for me.
I'm 8 episodes in, and I think it's fantastic - it does start slow, and while the pacing is never fast, it picks up. But what I'm loving is the build - they keep adding more detail to this world, and it all starts interweaving and building up to a hell of a crescendo. It's been horrifying and fascinating at the same time. [/quote]Okay, I might check out more episodes in the future.