Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

The TV Lounge

sebby

Re: The TV Lounge

Post by sebby » May 6th, 2020, 4:53 am

Jeremy Irons was the highlight for me. The fishing scene, the catapult, everything. He was glorious.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 9th, 2020, 7:43 am

We just finished The Office. I didn't really remember any of the jokes or anything other than how the special ended so it was almost liking watching it for the first time. Season 1 was ok, but the show really shines in season 2. I think I chuckled a couple of times in the first season, but season 2 I was laughing at a lot of stuff. I think they perfected the long awkward scenes and moments, whereas season 1 is a little too accurate at its everyday drabness. My boyfriend felt similarly, and I didn't hear a laugh out of him until season 2 but he thought it was "pretty good" overall. There were also a few bits of dialogue that were obviously inspired by things said on the XFM show which we got an extra giggle out of as well. My boyfriend said his favourite bit was Stephen Merchant's brief appearance lol. When I told him Smerch was a regular in Extras he said he was looking forward it to more so I'm glad he shares my love for Steve.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 10th, 2020, 2:00 am

Has anybody watched Justin Roiland's new Hulu series Solar Opposites? The whole season was made available yesterday. I'm going to check it out sometime this month.

We Are One

Post by We Are One » May 10th, 2020, 11:35 pm

Just finished Better Call Saul. I over did the binge watching and got sick if it after watching three seasons in a week. So I just skipped to the last two episodes of season five to get it out the way. Kim Wexler was the highlight. 😍

Currently making my way through Schitt's Creek and Looking for Alaska. Both are pretty solid.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 11th, 2020, 12:51 am

I can now confirm that Solar Opposites is very funny. It probably doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from Rick and Morty, but the good news is that its quality is up to the standard of that show, so if you like it, you'll like this one.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 11th, 2020, 3:55 am

We Are One wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 11:35 pm
Just finished Better Call Saul. I over did the binge watching and got sick if it after watching three seasons in a week. So I just skipped to the last two episodes of season five to get it out the way. Kim Wexler was the highlight. 😍
:facepalm:

Hopefully at a later time you go back and watch all the episodes you missed...because you really are missing out on some pretty great stuff.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Finished rewatching Extras. I think this is the third or fourth time I’ve watched it. I previously rated it a 9/10, but I’ve upped it to a 10 now, and to my #2 tv show ever. It’s just really amazing, every character and actor is great, it’s hilarious (Willy Wonka? Johnny Wanker), even though the overall narrative is sort of ‘generic’, it feels fresh and original and mixes the humour and serious parts well. I always tear up during the last scene lol. Ricky’s surprisingly versatile, Steve’s face is amazing, Maggie and Andy’s relationship is great.. just really good solid stuff. The only thing I don’t like about is the Jonathan Ross stuff because it’s totally clearly Ricky just wanted to mess around with his friend and it doesn’t work that well. Bf said it was one of the best shows he’s seen and was sad there wasn’t more.

Then we decided to try rewatching Firefly (which I haven’t seen in nearly 10 years and he hasn’t seen). Just the pilot so far. Oooh boy it has aged badly. It’s entire aesthetic is early 2000s cheap TV sci-fi and it’s kind of painful. It’s cheesy and dated and the melodrama also hurts. Also kind of slow and ‘hurry up and finish’. I can’t see this staying a 10/10 or in my top 5 after this.. Bf fell asleep near the end so I guess he wasn’t interested either lol
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 14th, 2020, 3:22 pm

I love series 1 of Extras. Haven't watched s2 much (back in the day, I had s1 on DVD but not s2). I did re-watch s2 again a couple of years ago and liked it more than the first time but I still find s2 a bit too painful to watch with Andy's constant suffering whereas s1 didn't have that so much. I just didn't like the parts as much where Andy is getting constant abuse from celebrities or from that rival guy who is now an actor and who he hates. Maggie is brilliant in it, really great character and her relationship with Andy is the key to the whole show working. She has this real naivety. There's a really powerful part where Andy has been treating her really badly it shows her struggling and they play This Woman's Work and I thought they did it very effectively. In fact, I rated the finale quite highly on a re-watch. I also still laugh thinking about the Mitchell brothers scene (not sure how well it works if you're not familiar with Eastenders)? Stephen Merchant is good too as the agent.

The Office is probably in my top 5 of all time and Extras is also very good (especially series 1). I posted about it recently but I still haven't watched anything else by Ricky Gervais despite highly rating his first two programmes. I did start Life's Too Short but gave up halfway through the second episode. It was like a bad imitation of The Office/Extras and the cruel humour about him being a dwarf didn't really work and made me tune out very quickly.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 14th, 2020, 4:13 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Then we decided to try rewatching Firefly (which I haven’t seen in nearly 10 years and he hasn’t seen). Just the pilot so far. Oooh boy it has aged badly. It’s entire aesthetic is early 2000s cheap TV sci-fi and it’s kind of painful. It’s cheesy and dated and the melodrama also hurts.
That was my reaction when I tried to watch it. I liked Serenity, so I gave the TV show a try. But the cheap aesthetic, as Mighty puts it, was a drawback, and I found the story bland and boring.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 9:03 pm

I finished Solar Opposites. Episode 7 is one of the best TV episodes I've ever seen, with some genuinely heartbreaking moments and phenomenal, ambitious storytelling. This show might be better than Rick and Morty. My initial impression that it's too similar to that show was very wrong.

Next up for me is The Midnight Gospel.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 14th, 2020, 11:45 pm

AdamH wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:22 pm
I love series 1 of Extras. Haven't watched s2 much (back in the day, I had s1 on DVD but not s2). I did re-watch s2 again a couple of years ago and liked it more than the first time but I still find s2 a bit too painful to watch with Andy's constant suffering whereas s1 didn't have that so much. I just didn't like the parts as much where Andy is getting constant abuse from celebrities or from that rival guy who is now an actor and who he hates. Maggie is brilliant in it, really great character and her relationship with Andy is the key to the whole show working. She has this real naivety. There's a really powerful part where Andy has been treating her really badly it shows her struggling and they play This Woman's Work and I thought they did it very effectively. In fact, I rated the finale quite highly on a re-watch. I also still laugh thinking about the Mitchell brothers scene (not sure how well it works if you're not familiar with Eastenders)? Stephen Merchant is good too as the agent.
I thought season 2 was stronger than season 1 because I thought the transformation of Andy was really good and I ‘liked’ the suffering. I think it was in the special but I really loved the moment when Andy gets the extra fired and the shots of Maggie watching in horror. You don’t really expect a comedy to be quite so emotional and powerful like that. I feel like Maggie is based off Karl Pilkington but without his negativity and moaning. She is a really great character, probably one of the best female characters ever, and yea their relationship gives the whole show a really strong emotional core and I love that there’s no romance or anything like that. Don’t even remember the Mitchell brothers thing so I guess it doesn’t work lol

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 14th, 2020, 11:56 pm

blocho wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:13 pm
mightysparks wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Then we decided to try rewatching Firefly (which I haven’t seen in nearly 10 years and he hasn’t seen). Just the pilot so far. Oooh boy it has aged badly. It’s entire aesthetic is early 2000s cheap TV sci-fi and it’s kind of painful. It’s cheesy and dated and the melodrama also hurts.
That was my reaction when I tried to watch it. I liked Serenity, so I gave the TV show a try. But the cheap aesthetic, as Mighty puts it, was a drawback, and I found the story bland and boring.
I was really disappointed and sad. I’ve watched this show a lot of times and it’s been my #2 of all time for ages but now it feels like a cheap parody that’s not funny. It used to always have my attention and I loved the characters and the humour and now none of it really works. I found the first episode pretty boring this time and went on far too long. And it’s just so ugly. I hope Serenity is still good..

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 16th, 2020, 2:25 am

Bf and I decided to rewatch Breaking Bad and watched about half of the first season yesterday. We both haven't seen it since it ended but it has been on my mind for a while and neither of us were happy with Firefly so we swapped to BB instead. Bf considers it his favourite show of all time, I think it made my top 20 but will probably climb a little higher. Such a brilliant show. Great pacing, writing, characterisation, acting, music. Aaron Paul seems so young after seeing him in Westworld recently.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 24th, 2020, 9:34 am

We’re into season 4 of Breaking Bad now. The first two seasons definitely had more ‘magic’ but it’s still good. Season 3 felt a little more generic and TV-like but season 4 has improved a little. Neither are bad by any means though.

A couple of years ago I attempted to watch Rick and Morty but only got 30 seconds into the first ep. Got through the first ep just now and wow it’s so bad. What is funny about this show? It’s like Family Guy with more interesting visuals. Yuck.

sebby

Post by sebby » May 24th, 2020, 10:39 am

The humor is much more acerbic than Family Guy. But it's still pretty nichey.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 24th, 2020, 6:46 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:34 am
We’re into season 4 of Breaking Bad now. The first two seasons definitely had more ‘magic’ but it’s still good. Season 3 felt a little more generic and TV-like but season 4 has improved a little. Neither are bad by any means though.

A couple of years ago I attempted to watch Rick and Morty but only got 30 seconds into the first ep. Got through the first ep just now and wow it’s so bad. What is funny about this show? It’s like Family Guy with more interesting visuals. Yuck.
a) Yay Breaking Bad! Mostly because my old man dog is named Walter White.
b) You did kinda hit the nail on the head with "Family Guy with better visuals". I'm watching it now, but only when high out of my mind. It's fun then. Turn off brain, see weird shit.