Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Classical Music Recommendation Thread

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » January 8th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Not really a recommendation, but I've decided that for my next few online classes I'll listen to some classical music (if I can get over the new David Bowie album eventually). Unfortunately the few albums I've downloaded so far are Sonorism albums, so they're just going to be really fucked up. I listened to Maurico Kagel's album Der Schall which has 5 instruments made from scratch and holy shit it was so fucked up and noisy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0vhKJoBFHQ

I do enjoy scary music, and I think that in the end classical music wins in that department. Like one of my favourite classical albums:

I wonder if this is how he dresses like when he's composing:

Last edited by XxXApathy420XxX on January 8th, 2016, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 17th, 2016, 5:51 pm

Jesus that violin is suffering enough! Just put it out of its misery!

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

albajos

Post by albajos » July 15th, 2016, 9:08 am

I buy some operas, ballets etc on DVD/BR but those aren't listed on imdb.

Do any of you know any site that have such a database? From Deutche Grammophon etc.

And to answer the original question of the thread. Chopin. Eternal Sonata (on 360) completely spellbound me.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 29th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Anyone else here listen to Giacinto Scelsi? I'm just starting to discover his work and am loving it.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 8th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Going through a user's 5/5s and 4.5/5s for classical music. Definitely finding a lot of masterpieces. This was a highlight:

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » February 10th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Sounds great indeed! I didn’t know it before.
Have you ever tried Shostakovich’ first violin concerto? This reminds me of it.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 10th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Nah I haven't yet. Looking up and trying to find out what's the best version to hear. Maybe this one? https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... rto_no__1/

I can post the other classical stuff I've heard in my jumpwagon thread (at least the ones I gave 9/10 too), but I gotta post like 15 albums now and I keep procrastinating for doing it.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » February 10th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Not sure what might be the best version. I’ve always stuck to the one I listened first. It’s quite an old recording, but it feels like it gets all the emotions right:
RokP 250

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 10th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Ohh k I was thinking about that version too. It was this one https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/ ... to-op-107/

The annoying thing about classical music... all the different versions of works. Doesn't help that quite a few of them have different interpretations.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » February 10th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » February 10th, 2019, 7:40 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 7:25 pm
Ohh k I was thinking about that version too. It was this one https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/ ... to-op-107/

The annoying thing about classical music... all the different versions of works. Doesn't help that quite a few of them have different interpretations.
It can make quite a difference indeed. Sometimes a piece sounds extremely generic and boring in the most commonly heard performances, but then suddenly someone seems to understand what the composer actually meant and makes it come to life. Happens especially a lot with composers like Mozart and Vivaldi, whose works can sound very dull and just need the subtle hand of a good interpreter who gets the timing just right.

That's why I'm recommending Oistrakh: at least I'm sure he gets it right.
RokP 250

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » February 10th, 2019, 7:42 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 7:13 pm
I can post the other classical stuff I've heard in my jumpwagon thread (at least the ones I gave 9/10 too), but I gotta post like 15 albums now and I keep procrastinating for doing it.
I'm never going to listen to 15 in one day (or week) either. Drop one at a time! :sweat:
RokP 250

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » March 14th, 2019, 2:56 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
February 17th, 2016, 5:51 pm
Jesus that violin is suffering enough! Just put it out of its misery!

Great recommentdations in this thread. Ase's Death is a favourite. It's in Herzog's Lessons of Darkness that has a formidable classical soundtrack imo. But I do like to listening to the ear cleaner dissonant type stuff like that too. Penderecki, Ligeti, George Crumb, Helmut Lachenmann spring to mind.

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » March 14th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Ravel's piano pieces have to be some of the most expressive ever written, and my most listened.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 22nd, 2019, 12:25 am

Shame that I can't find any links on Youtube. Gave this classical work a 5/5. So many jump scares thanks to its very effective use of silence. Luigi Nono is a genius:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/ ... /seguente/

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 23rd, 2019, 11:52 pm

I've been listening to a lot of classical over the last several months. It all started, as so much of my music interest does, with movies. I saw The Abominable Dr. Phibes, which features a masked and caped Vincent Price playing Mendelssohn's "War March of the Priests" on the organ over the opening credits. You can see the whole movie here:

And here's a better version of the song with more instrumentation:

I was listening to the song on youtube a few days later, and youtube sent me to Mendelssohn's "Hebrides Overture," which may just be one of my favorite songs ever. Usually, I have to listen to a song twice before really liking it. Hebrides Overture stole my heart in the first ten seconds:

Then, nearly at the same time, I saw Powaqqatsi. I had long adored the Koyaanisqatsi score by Philip Glass, and I like the Powaqqatsi score nearly as much:

That led me to listen to a bunch of Philip Glass. I particularly like his opera Akhnaten. The Metropolitan Opera in New York is putting it on in the fall, and I'm planning to see it. It will be the first opera I attend:

I also like Glass' thematically related opera Satyagraha. Here's my favorite part:

At that point, I was caught up in classical and started listening to Wagner. Naturally, movies gave me a push, specifically the use of "Entry of the Gods into Valhalla" from the end of Das Rheingold, which was featured as a key element in the opening and closing scenes of the most recent Alien movie:

I have to admit I find Wagner a bit insufferable, partly because I find German a stupendously ugly language (I only like Wagner's orchestral parts without the singing) and partly because he was an awful anti-semite -- he wrote an infamous essay attacking Mendelssohn for ruining German music with his Jewishness. Still, I listen to something like the Tannhauser overture and I think that's pretty good stuff: