Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 21st), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Scandal Sheet, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Music Lounge

Lakigigar

Re: Music Lounge

Post by Lakigigar » December 9th, 2018, 2:00 pm

nimimerkillinen wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 6:50 am
so no comment for my recs? :(
Ow i forgot about them.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 9th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Pinkshinyultrablast was best. Ceremony and Alcest also good. Ringo Deathstarr was very good, but Pinkshinyultrablast the best. The two dream pop / indie pop artists were a bit disappointing, especially Brave Irene.

YouTube autoplay also gave me a nice rec when playing one of your songs! New wave + techno haha. They should really invent a new genre: goth techno. We already have witch house, now we need goth techno!

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 9th, 2018, 7:29 pm

This is my last.fm account, but i know i have / had often electronic songs on repeat, but that behaviour has changed with spotify which is a platform that makes it easier to discover new songs.

all-time. Raar and La Femme will probably break the 1000-threshold as well, and I bet Beach House and Cocteau Twins will do that as well next year.

Top 10 of this year!

And that's how i discovered Cocteau Twins because they nicknamed Empress Of the Latina Cocteau Twins :banana:

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 9th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Some more stats because we all love stats.

My mainstream meter is on average around 30% each week!

I'll post the stats when the year ends, those are going to be awesome!

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 10th, 2018, 2:20 am

Beautiful Japanese ethereal wave music from 1984.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 10th, 2018, 3:52 am

My not-very-interesting stats:

All-time:

This year:

Stat stuff for this week:

I very rarely get into a new artist, and have to listen to my entire library on shuffle most of the time instead. It's pretty frustrating.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 10th, 2018, 1:02 pm

We have medium compability (that's good, usually it is low or very low). Your compatibility with MightySparks is Medium. You both listen to Grimes, Cocteau Twins and Depeche Mode.

You can also see how my rhythm is so fucked up. It used to be much worse.

This was my listening clock in 2017 (lol).

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 23rd, 2018, 7:53 am

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 23rd, 2018, 9:51 am

What does a band do, when they can't start playing on stage because of technical issues ......... for 15 minutes! Well, most bands would probably take a break and let the audience wait. But that's not what Devin Townsend does:

ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » December 23rd, 2018, 4:31 pm

Nearly impossible to do, but here are the 10 best songs I've heard this year. Limited to one per artist.
SpoilerShow
10. Conan Osiris - 100 paciência
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wex8jpLaFQ

9. Death in Rome - Diamonds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE29Ic8Wxko

8. Kirin J Callinan - Embracism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=028hdxGYdYE

7. Daniel Johnston - Despair Came Knocking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dayas2Q4CY

6. Richard Dawson - Judas Iscariot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN3ZPjoAUok

5. Clarence Clarity - Buck-Toothed Particle Smashers (Feat. Kill J)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuxmJE32dNE

4. Daughters - The Reason They Hate Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqa4_YuQQV8

3. Low - Dancing and Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzMo-EpWcPA

2. Charli XCX - Nuclear Seasons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGmM2l39LEs

1. 平沢進 [Susumu Hirasawa] - 庭師King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4097OVHGKbU

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 23rd, 2018, 8:47 pm

SpoilerShow
10. Beach House - Dive

9. Yaeji - One More

8. Empress Of - I Don't Even Smoke Weed

7. Moon King - Apartment Fire

6. Loods - Nobody

5. Peggy Gou - Han Jan

4. Peggy Gou - It Makes You Forget

3. Grimes - We Appreciate Power

2. Empress Of - Trust Me Baby / In Dreams

1. Beach House - Lemon Glow

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 24th, 2018, 5:34 am

Well i've listened to a lot of music out there, and while i think Grimes is very good and Art Angels and Visions are so good albums, i still think Halfaxa is so otherworldly and by far her best. I've listened to art angels, and i noticed i listen much less to Art Angels than to her other songs, but one of the good things of Art Angels is that all her songs are good and catchy, which is usually not the case on pop albums, and that it is still very creative. I like all songs, but they don't have that addicting thing about them, or at some point, you're done listening to them. Although, what's also typical of Grimes, is that the first time you listen something, you absolutely hate it, and you quickly change your opinion about it. We Appreciate Power is such a song. I didn't like it, but i listened more than 100 times, and thought for a while, it was one of Grimes' best song of all time. Kill V Maim has that too. It even has a dislike on YouTube which i removed, because the first times i listened it, i absolutely hate it, thinking it was just a stupid song, but I listened at least 134 times to it and probably more, as i might have listened to it on repeat during a time i didn't scrobble songs... and that for a pop song you disliked because you thought it was stupid.

I don't know what the psychological thing is that during the first time you listen to something you don't like it or dislike it, and after you listen to something multiple times, that you become a big fan of it. With OK Computer i seemed to have done the same thing this month. Empress Of is another example of such a thing, like the first time you listen to something, you think it's just mediocre but okay, but after a while you seem to "want" to listen to it again and again. The songs of Beach House or Cocteau Twins are also now growing. Radiohead has the same thing going on. I just can't like something from the first time it seems. I need to listen to it over & over again.

Grimes has one different thing about her. For some reason i never get tired of her songs. I don't know why this is. With electronic songs (house), i usually get tired of it after a while, but with Grimes this isn't the case, you listen to it so many times, and they never get old. I get into things, but they can pass at times, like i first listened to general pop (top hitlists), than i discovered drum & bass in august 2011, than i went to school for 2011-2012 and I DISCOVERED THAT EVERYONE LISTENED TO WHAT I DISCOVERED / LISTENED TO. Skrillex, Netsky, Nero, they all listened to drum & bass and dubstep. That was quite a reveal. It's maybe the closest that i've ever experienced to a subculture / hype or whatever. It was weird that everyone listened to it, because i just genuinely liked drum & bass and it's still one of my favourite electronic genres next to house. Now everyone listens to hardstyle, and yeah i'm just not really into that. It has nice songs, but it's not something i would frequently listen to (I liked psyko punkz (psyko foundation) and showtek (slow down) most though, and i was into early hardstyle, but unlike drum & bass it never seems to pass... Hardstyle has become the equivalent of grunge, while drum & bass became the equivalent of shoegaze, and you could argue that the one destroyed the other unfortunately. Shoegaze was destroyed by grunge, just like dnb was destroyed by freaking hardstyle. I can appreciate hardstyle and grunge, but i adore shoegaze and dnb right now. They have in common that's both ultra-fast music. When i listen to classic rock or casual songs, i always need to adapt to the slower paces of those songs, and i think Grimes' songs are quite fast too, but not sure about that. And can music tell something about your personality as well. I'm quite impatient in real life as well. The problem with a lot of rock songs is that they're just too slow for me. I like the guitar backgrounds sometimes, when they stop singing and use the guitars to have some of those really long guitar soloes (which is fast too), sometimes. I think surf rock does that as well. I just need to be in a different mood, more actively listen to it and i might like for some other reasons, but it's just different for me. I always think all music is good (or almost). Let's put it differently, i haven't heard bad music this month, and i've listened 2600 songs, and i have never listened to an album that i gave less than 6/10 because i just like everything. I can't help it. And if i don't like it, i need to listen it one more time and i'll like it. Although i've listened a lot of music that i would think that i would like, even if it was very different from what i listened before.

Ok, back to where i was. Well, i think i've listened to drum & bass a long time, and gradually went into other electronic music, until i discovered grimes. I think it was around february / march 2016 where i first listened to Genesis of Grimes. I must have listened it around 500 times in that month (i've only started to use my last.fm since august 2016, with a large break in the second half of 2017 and a lot of songs that didn't scrobble properly, but even than i still have 5000 scrobbles for her, without that break, and without those first months that i listened so often to her). I can almost guarantee you that it is probably more like 8000 scrobbles if not more. Because of Grimes, i started listening to a lot more music and not only solely electronic music, but more electropop with BRAIDS, Empress Of, iamwhoami, Chairlift, Purity Ring, Doldrums (her cousin or brother LOL), Majical Cloudz (but less now, her ex-boyfriend)... A large amount of them are all Canadian but they're all weird electropop artists, not plain electropop but weird electropop, or similar to Grimes at least. Empress Of is the biggest discovery. I discovered her in january and listened more than 2500 times to her this year.

About Halfaxa: It's an album that takes stress away for me, which i often listen when i feel stressed. Empress Of, Braids and Grimes are typically groups / musicians i listen to when i feel stressed. But Halfaxa really does the job as well. It's also a very nocturnal album, and if i'm ever on an uninhabited island, i would really like to just do nothing and hear it all the time. Halfaxa 24 hours! Would i get tired of it? Well i'm not sure. Grimes is just an addiction... I listened to a demo version of 4 am which was leaked, but it has been removed and deleted, and now i can't listen to it, and i'm just getting crazy over it that i can't listen to that song (without it being deleted, i would've listened it over 100 times probably). Other artists / musicians don't seem to have that. Empress Of maybe, and to a slightly lesser extent Beach House and Cocteau Twins but no others so far. Sometimes individual songs, but not every song again of every group / artist they create? That's unique to those four right now.

Halfaxa just seems so meditative. I just can't decide what my favourite song of it is. What i know is that it's my favourite song of all time, but i frequently switch from song to song from the same album on deciding what my favourite song is. It's Weregild or it's Dream Fortress or it's World Princess or it's My Sister Says the Saddest Things, and than i also discover that i really like Devon, or Swan Song or Sagrad. I was also a while into Favriel or River, and maybe in the future, it'll be a different song. But there is no album to Halfaxa where i have that. It just never works like that. Even the other albums of Grimes don't have that. My favourite song of Visions is Genesis and it's always been that. I have no true favourite song of Geidi Primes or Art Angels (and i would always prefer Genesis over the other songs of those albums), with Realiti demo as exception of course, but it's not on the album. Her demo version is so much better than the album version which is one of the weakest songs on Art Angels.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 24th, 2018, 9:40 am

Apparently I only heard/liked 8 songs from 2018:

8. A Lovely Lie - Aviation
7. Little Dark Age - MGMT
6. Running Race - Montero
5. Quantify - Montero
4. Don't Stop It - Bush Tetras
3. Pretty Boy - TV Girl
2. I Like - Colleen Green
1. Love on the Line (Call Now) - Her's
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 26th, 2018, 10:00 pm

One per artist:

10. FUN! - Vince Staples

9. Feels Like Summer - Childish Gambino

8. Crazy, Classic, Life - Janelle Monáe

7. Always - SOB X RBE

6. Stir Fry - Migos

5. All the Stars - Kendrick Lamar ft. SZA

4. Best Part - Daniel Caesar & H.E.R.

3. Pienso en tu mirá - Rosalía

2. Praise the Lord (Da Shine) - A$AP Rocky ft. Skepta

1. Pretty Little Fears - 6LACK ft. J. Cole

15 more:
SpoilerShow
11. TINTS - Anderson .Paak ft. Kendrick Lamar
12. SICKO MODE - Travis Scott ft. Drake
13. I Like It - Cardi B ft. Bad Bunny and J Balvin
14. Moon River - Frank Ocean
15. Mr. Tillman - Father John Misty
16. Waves - Normani ft. 6BLACK
17. Singularity - Jon Hopkins
18. Mo Bamba - Sheck Wes
19. BOSS - The Carters
20. After the Storm - Kali Uchis ft. Tyler, the Creator and Bootsy Collins
21. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves
22. Girls Need Love - Summer Walker
23. Summer Games - Drake
24. Kings Dead - Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar, Future, and James Blake
25. Off Deez - J.I.D. ft. J. Cole
Worst song of the year: probably a tie between the cringe compilation that is Machine Gun Kelly's "Rap Devil" and whatever the fuck "Freaky Friday" is.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » December 28th, 2018, 1:18 am

Just discovered this awesome rarity from the local new wave scene:

lyrics:
SpoilerShow
City - Promenade

Masks
bunch of faceless invididuals
along the city promenade at night
along the promenade

Masks
masks of pleasure
of pleasure and happiness
along the city promenade at night (2x)

Masks
masks who are waiting
for something to happen

Promenade
city promenade

But here
here nothing could
nothing could happen

Nothing new
nothing old (2x)

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 28th, 2018, 8:40 pm

LOL. Check my day & night rhythm, and also thank you XXXApathyXXX420 because your recommendation is now my top track LOL.

More recommendations based on this? These are my logs from the last 30 days.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 30th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Kate Bush sounds very well as well. Have listened to my first album of her's. Good singer! Especially Babooshka, Delius and Army Dreamers are good. Especially since it's music from 1980... I'm starting to believe the 1980's (which might lack a bit in film output, have the best music output from any decade, next to 2010's maybe too). I would also say a depression between 1995 and 2005/2010 is becoming clearer in which music output was noticeably worse. I only like like Panda Bear maybe (i didn't make the *connection with AC* though, but maybe that has yet to come. And it currently only has Radiohead, Interpol and Bjork and i don't even listen so often to them. It's quite a remarkable gap... Like when shoegaze died out and Kurt Cobain as well, it seems like britpop killed it (literally), together with modern rock bands like Coldplay. And pop was at it's worst than, although it's arguably in an even worse state now, but we now have the indiepop industry.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 1st, 2019, 2:39 pm

Incidentally Bjork and Coldplay is what I cannot listen to :lol:
Kate Bush on the other hand is one of the best female singers ever IMHO.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 1st, 2019, 2:51 pm

Bjork has indeed kind of a hate-it-or-love-it song similar to that of Thom Yorke. I started not liking them, but i gradually started to accept / tolerate the voice tbh.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 1st, 2019, 3:06 pm

I used to hate Kate Bush but after listening to some of her albums I think she has a really interesting voice but I don’t like any of her songs.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 1st, 2019, 3:10 pm

Yeah, I guess things may change with time even though I never liked Bjork's voice, the music is not bad at all, it's just that voice. But Coldplay truly makes me cringe. Thom Yorke does have a peculiar voice as well, I can see why some would be put off, but I never really had a problem with it.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 2nd, 2019, 5:23 pm

Your compatibility with MightySparks is Very High.

You both listen to Grimes, Cocteau Twins and Depeche Mode.

Oh MightySparks, that's new! It used to be medium or high... Now it's very high :p

I'm checking the artists you most listen too. I don't know 75% of them, haha, even though you have kind of mainstream (not meant sense in a bad sense) taste in music, especially well appraised bands from earlier and now. I seem to like The Doors, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Grimes, Tame Impala, The Cure, Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen and some others.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 3rd, 2019, 12:26 am

I don’t really know what’s popular from the last 15 years or so since I stopped listening to the radio so I have no idea what’s well appraised and what isn’t lol, most of the new stuff I listen to is just recommended on Spotify. It’s funny though coz it’s only on this forum my taste gets called mainstream, I can never have a conversation with anyone about music irl because they only listen to mainstream radio of metal and I always get teased. One person I gave a lift home once said my music didn’t suit me because it was too bubbly and happy (bubblegum). But yea I ain’t really into nichey genres. In our household, we have one person who pretty much only listens to top 40 (of course she’s the fecking singer), my boyfriend who only listens to hip hop, and my housemate and I who overlap a little but he listens to a lot of video game soundtracks and weird stuff like that.

It’s annoying since I listen to the RYM albums I think it gives off false info now, like Cocteau Twins I’ve listened to a couple of albums and they come up occasionally in my Discover Weekly or Daily Mix but I don’t really listen to them.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 3rd, 2019, 10:59 am

mightysparks wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 12:26 am
I don’t really know what’s popular from the last 15 years or so since I stopped listening to the radio so I have no idea what’s well appraised and what isn’t lol, most of the new stuff I listen to is just recommended on Spotify. It’s funny though coz it’s only on this forum my taste gets called mainstream, I can never have a conversation with anyone about music irl because they only listen to mainstream radio of metal and I always get teased. One person I gave a lift home once said my music didn’t suit me because it was too bubbly and happy (bubblegum). But yea I ain’t really into nichey genres. In our household, we have one person who pretty much only listens to top 40 (of course she’s the fecking singer), my boyfriend who only listens to hip hop, and my housemate and I who overlap a little but he listens to a lot of video game soundtracks and weird stuff like that.

It’s annoying since I listen to the RYM albums I think it gives off false info now, like Cocteau Twins I’ve listened to a couple of albums and they come up occasionally in my Discover Weekly or Daily Mix but I don’t really listen to them.
I can imagine that, but they listen to the latest pop hits on the radio probably, while you listen more to the well known bands and albums that are appreciated by music insiders and critics, which is maybe mainstream compared / relative to what i and also xxxApathy420xxx listens, but you still have good taste! I haven't heard of some of the bands / music you listen too, but i'm sure if i join you in a car drive that i would like the music as well, but i can appreciate music from a wide range of genres!

Like i'm so much into Beach House, but i don't like their best criticized album Teen Dream that much
Or Sufjan Stevens is too slow for me, but I absolutely LOVE The Age of Adz haha.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 3rd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Maybe... i have an idea, what if we created our own forum list for favourite albums and favourite songs? I mean we all appreciate art. If the board knows it well enough, many people would send lists and we would have an awesome ICM list for music albums? I don't think it's been done in the past.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 3rd, 2019, 2:05 pm

I think we discussed it once before but never went through with anything. It's tough without IMDb urls I guess. I wouldn't have much to submit for the albums list and idk what I'd do for the fave songs because I'm pretty bored of most of the stuff I liked as a teenager...

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 3rd, 2019, 2:10 pm

I could organize one if i'd known how to do it?

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 3rd, 2019, 4:17 pm

What id islike about RYM is that they instantly hate "hyped" albums. Two examples are Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More or Alt-J - An Awesome Wave... It's honestly a bit ridicilous. It's good though to discover hidden gems.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 3rd, 2019, 4:55 pm

It's a fun idea. The movie-polls are all done with a script using IMDb-urls. That would be harder indeed for albums. But at least to automate the process as much as possible, we should use some unique link for each album, like the RYM-url or the Discogs-url. If you let everyone submit a spreadsheet with a fixed format, it wouldn't be too hard to write something in Excel to calculate the points. I'm sure Max would love to write that spreadsheet. :lol:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 4th, 2019, 5:54 am

It's 4 january 6.40am and i've already listened to 488 songs THIS YEAR!!! And a lot of it was new music.

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest: 9/10 (potentially 10/10 - instalove)
Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz: 9/10 (very good and hypnotic)
Caribou - Swim: 9/10
Nas - Illmatic: 9/10
Peggy Gou - Once: 8/10
Braids - Deep In The Iris: 8/10
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular: 8/10 (relisten actually, but still good)
Lorde - Melodrama: 8/10
Warpaint - The Fool: 8/10
Laurel Halo - King Felix: 8/10
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars: 8/10 (also something that got better while the album "evolved", a sign that an album will grow over time)
Braids - Flourish / Perish: 8/10
Kali Uchis - Isolation: 8/10
Kate Bush - Never For Ever: 8/10
My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything: 8/10 (needs to grow probably)
The National - Boxer: 8/10 (definitely something that will get better over time, i even grew into the album)
Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence: 8/10
Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More: 8/10
MGMT - Congratulations: 7/10
Melody's Echo Chamber - Melody's Echo Chamber: 7/10
Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun: 7/10
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here: 7/10
Sufjan & Stevens - Carrie & Lowell: 7/10
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside: 7/10

I've listened to no bad albums.

What i also relistened:
Beach House - 7: 9/10
The Smiths - Queen is Dead: 9/10
Slowdive - Souvlaki: 9/10
Bjork - Vespertine: 9/10
Chelsea Wolfe - Apocalypse: 9/10

Bunch of random songs, from Beach House, Grimes, Tame Impala, My Bloody Valentine, Crystal Castles, Radiohead, Bjork, Empress Of, The Cure, Braids, Kate Bush (the three songs from Never For Ever), and a lot of psychedelic pop / neo-psychedelia (but a playlist with songs, no album).

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 4th, 2019, 6:20 pm

The 2018 stats are out there.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 4th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 5:35 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 3:59 pm
bal3x wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 3:47 pm

I said voice, not the looks :D
...I'll allow it. :D
Wow, i didn't know your profile photo was Bjork on it, but i'll always thought that girl on your avatar was insanely attractive.

XXX420APATHYXXX also has good taste though (i mean: past avatars lol).

I might make a top 250 singles, but i'm not sure if it's worth it cause i need to discover a lot of music, but i'd really like to do one, and than to at least make a new one late next year. I mean with one post for every 10 singles in a thread.
I'm catching up on this subforum now. A top list of your favorite singles would be cool, Laki (even though I probably won't like most of them). Some examples of past top lists on this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2045
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2338
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2639 tehe

Please check out this thread as well:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=522
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 5th, 2019, 7:51 am

Lammetje wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 8:45 pm
Lakigigar wrote:
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 3:59 pm

...I'll allow it. :D
Wow, i didn't know your profile photo was Bjork on it, but i'll always thought that girl on your avatar was insanely attractive.

I might make a top 250 singles, but i'm not sure if it's worth it cause i need to discover a lot of music, but i'd really like to do one, and than to at least make a new one late next year. I mean with one post for every 10 singles in a thread.
I'm catching up on this subforum now. A top list of your favorite singles would be cool, Laki (even though I probably won't like most of them). Some examples of past top lists on this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=522
Well, i'll check those threads out, and i might work on it. Problem is that i'm discovering so much music atm that such a list would incredibly get outdated, and that i haven't collected all the songs that i liked in the past in a playlist? It would also be quite hard to balance the songs i listen atm with the songs i've liked in the past but don't listen to it, but i'm sure i'll find something out.

It will probably be a top 250 and it would require me to listen a lot of songs or albums, and accepting that such a list wouldn't be perfect, and that it would almost require an update a year later. If i do one in march, i might do a repeat of it (possibly with an extension) next year. I have already kind of sorted a top 200 on spotify, so i could work with that as the foundation.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 5th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 7:51 am
Lammetje wrote:
Lakigigar wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=522
Well, i'll check those threads out, and i might work on it. Problem is that i'm discovering so much music atm that such a list would incredibly get outdated, and that i haven't collected all the songs that i liked in the past in a playlist? It would also be quite hard to balance the songs i listen atm with the songs i've liked in the past but don't listen to it, but i'm sure i'll find something out.

It will probably be a top 250 and it would require me to listen a lot of songs or albums, and accepting that such a list wouldn't be perfect, and that it would almost require an update a year later. If i do one in march, i might do a repeat of it (possibly with an extension) next year. I have already kind of sorted a top 200 on spotify, so i could work with that as the foundation.
Of course, take your time. :) It might be useful to list all songs and other tracks you love in a spreadsheet, and keep updating it on a regular basis. You can also create graphs and stuff, particularly if you add more stats such as the year of release for each song. Because who doesn't like lists, graphs and spreadsheets, right? ;)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 5th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Yea I’ve been making a spreadsheet of all my music and I’m still updating it with info like years, genres and ratings but it’s the easiest way to track stuff.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 5th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Lammetje wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 12:31 pm
Lakigigar wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 7:51 am
Lammetje wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=522

Of course, take your time. :) It might be useful to list all songs and other tracks you love in a spreadsheet, and keep updating it on a regular basis. You can also create graphs and stuff, particularly if you add more stats such as the year of release for each song. Because who doesn't like lists, graphs and spreadsheets, right? ;)
I don't know how to do it.

But i would just create a top 250 (i've the foundation on Spotify and add the songs i love most there or to "favourites" playlist which is bigger). I'll add the genre label from rateyourmusic, year of origin, and calculate the same statistics as previous list makers have done.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 6th, 2019, 1:30 am

There’s a site so you can convert Spotify playlists to Excel which is what I did so I didn’t have to type out my entire library. There’s an identifier for the songs but because there’s multiples of each song and some people may also have songs on PC and not Spotify it wouldn’t really work as an IMDb replacement URL.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 6th, 2019, 11:10 am

mightysparks wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 1:30 am
There’s a site so you can convert Spotify playlists to Excel which is what I did so I didn’t have to type out my entire library. There’s an identifier for the songs but because there’s multiples of each song and some people may also have songs on PC and not Spotify it wouldn’t really work as an IMDb replacement URL.
Can i see an example of one of your excel files to see how you do it (or what you type out)? What i might / could do is a top 250 this year, an album top in the summer, a best of the decade album list in early 2020 and a top 500 songs (or best of the decade song list) sometime next year. :)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 6th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 11:10 am
mightysparks wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 1:30 am
Can i see an example of one of your excel files to see how you do it (or what you type out)? What i might / could do is a top 250 this year, an album top in the summer, a best of the decade album list in early 2020 and a top 500 songs (or best of the decade song list) sometime next year. :)
It's nothing special:

Apparently I cropped that badly sorry

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 7th, 2019, 10:12 am

i don't get why that album of alt-j is assumingly overhyped according to RYM users, but Kanye West - MBDTF being one of the 25 most acclaimed music albums?