Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: L'innocente

Music Lounge

RedHawk10

Music Lounge

Post by RedHawk10 » June 20th, 2018, 5:42 am

XxXApathy420XxX on Jun 18 2018, 05:58:53 PM wrote:Getting quite disturbed now.

Xxxtentacion has been killed and people are celebrating his death. He was an abusive rapist asshole, but definitely doesn't deserve to get killed, or celebrating the fact that he died.
It’s extremely disturbing. X was clearly a scumbag, and I didn’t care for his music, but the people cheering the violent murder of a twenty year old are sickening. People act so deranged sometimes. I hope it’s born out of ignorance and not something worse.
Last edited by RedHawk10 on June 20th, 2018, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 21st, 2018, 10:44 pm

New Death Grips is pretty great. Definitely their weirdest album. The most odd thing about is that a lot of the music is playful and fun which is so unlike them. I also don't know if I can call their music hip hop anymore.

Going to listen to it again right after on my headphones, which is a good sign.

EDIT: Yep another masterpiece by them. Fuck how good can a band be?
Last edited by XxXApathy420XxX on June 21st, 2018, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Tumblr | RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » June 23rd, 2018, 12:34 am

New NIИ album is out - Bad Witch.

It's pretty good. Reminded me a bit of Bowie's Blackstar, which also mixes howling jazz trumpets & saxophones into a song's (here upbeat industrial or slower ambient noise) flow.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on June 23rd, 2018, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 23rd, 2018, 1:02 am

Yea it leaked like a week ago. I thought it was very mediocre, and yes it reminded me of Bowie's work as well.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » June 23rd, 2018, 1:07 am

Carmel1379 on Jun 22 2018, 06:34:57 PM wrote:New NIИ album is out - Bad Witch.

It's pretty good. Reminded me a bit of Bowie's Blackstar, which also mixes howling jazz trumpets & saxophones into a song's (here upbeat industrial or slower ambient noise) flow.
Wow, totally spaced on this. I don't listen to NIN or other Reznor stuff nearly as much as I used to, but I definitely gotta give this a listen. Especially if there's a little Bowie in there.
I thrive best hermit-style.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » June 23rd, 2018, 1:23 am

I didn't see a notification about it at all either; stumbled on some random review of it today. I guess rym has this neat box on ones profile where one sees the upcoming releases by artists one has frequently rated stuff by, but I don't use the site that often.

Bad Witch has no noteworthy or catchy song or anything like that (probably why it wasn't too publicised), it's probably pretty forgettable overall, but for an industrial pastime it's okay. And I especially dig the dark jazz sections of the album (tracks 2 and 3), so there's that.

Listening to the new Death Grips album now. Liking it quite a bit so far.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on June 23rd, 2018, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » June 23rd, 2018, 11:52 am

OK, now I finally better understand the "Death Grips is Online" joke...

It's my fav track off the album, I think.

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 27th, 2018, 7:06 pm

The Mystery of the Bulgarian Voices did an album with Lisa Gerrard and somehow it wasn't amazing. Still good but talk about disappointing.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 27th, 2018, 9:31 pm

I listened to a recording of plankton in the Atlantic ocean and thought it was amazing. This is why I don't talk to people about music in real life :lol:

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 27th, 2018, 10:07 pm

hey I enjoyed that contact microphone recording of growing avocados.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 1st, 2018, 12:03 am

funkybusiness on Jun 27 2018, 04:07:35 PM wrote:hey I enjoyed that contact microphone recording of growing avocados.
Her other album recorded in the barents sea and her ultrasound/echolocation album are also amazing.

Am I reaching the next level of being a music fan? Not even really hearing music anymore.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 1st, 2018, 12:49 am

I'm digging the Barents Sea one so far.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 1st, 2018, 10:01 pm

Got recommended this review randomly and wat wat how attractive can someone be

6.5/10 though fuck that the album is a masterpiece.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 4th, 2018, 12:38 am

K, 6ix9ine's DAY69 mixtape actually wasn't that bad. Wtf is going on

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 7th, 2018, 10:07 pm

So not only did Low's album leaked months early, but they completely changed. I'm in love with this album

EDIT: Yep. This is AOTY
Last edited by XxXApathy420XxX on July 7th, 2018, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fori

Post by fori » July 17th, 2018, 3:23 am

Nickelus F is again being overlooked in AOTY conversations. Stuck is his best album yet, he has delivered another project where every track is a quality listen.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » July 22nd, 2018, 1:13 pm

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 26th, 2018, 7:06 pm

https://pitchfork.com/news/mount-eeries ... y-married/

For a guy who released two albums about his wife's death, including one from this year, he sure got over it quickly.

Post by 1859 » July 27th, 2018, 2:54 am

O, I started to listen to one of those some time ago. It's nice how the quote they've chosen at the beginning just amplifies that, finally.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 29th, 2018, 8:06 am

New song by Riverside from their forthcoming album out at the end of September. First new material (ignoring that ambient album) since the death of their guitar player.

ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 7th, 2018, 7:50 am

I just found this cool site for Spotify that gives you top tracks etc (obviously Lastfm is more useful, but yea some odd songs I didn't realise I listened to so much in the last few years): http://107.170.81.187:8080/public/top

Top tracks -- Long Term (years)
  1. Favored Nations, The Set Up
  2. The Velvet Underground, Cool It Down - 2015 Remastered
  3. Frank Zappa, Camarillo Brillo
  4. The 6ths, In The City In The Rain
  5. Grimes, Kill V. Maim
  6. Future Bible Heroes, Memories of Love
  7. Frank Zappa, Dirty Love
  8. Ariel Pink, Black Ballerina
  9. Movie, Tusk Vegas
  10. NEU!, Dänzing
Top tracks -- Short Term (4 weeks)
  1. Dinner, Going Out
  2. Daniele Luppi, Pretty Prizes
  3. U.S. Girls, Sororal Feelings
  4. John Maus, Just Wait Til Next Year
  5. Alex Cameron, Real Bad Lookin'
  6. Cut Worms, Till Tomorrow Goes Away
  7. El Goodo, As You Said Your so Longs
  8. Brian Eno, Backwater - 2004 Digital Remaster
  9. The Egyptian Lover, I Cry (Night after Night)
  10. The Chills, Pink Frost
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 7th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Never thought I would say this. Charli XCX's Pop 2 is fantastic. Great use of autotune, especially in Lucky where she pulls off a Young Thug and treats it like an instrument. The production is also out of this world. Femmebot sucks though. Just sounds like top 40 pop. At least the other songs are more interesting.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 24th, 2018, 9:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » September 5th, 2018, 7:15 am

I just wanted to take a second here to appreciate Machine Gun Kelly's honest, hard-working effort to make a contender for worst diss track of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp0BScQSSvg

It's got some tough competition against classics of badness like "Ghoulish," "Fuck Bow Wow," and "Better Run Run," but consider some of these lines...
Why you claiming that I'ma call Puff?
When you the one that called Diddy
Then you went and called Jimmy
They conference called me in the morning
They told me you mad about a tweet
You wanted me to say sorry
I swear to God I ain't believe him
Please say it ain't so

or...
I know your ego is hurting just knowing that all of your fans discovered me (hi)
He like, "Damn, he a younger me
Except he dresses better and I'm ugly
Always making fun of me"
or...
I am the prodigy, how could I even look up to you
You ain't as tall as me
5'8" and I'm 6'4"
What will happen next? Will Eminem use a response as an excuse to spew some more violent homophobia? Will MGK respond back by calling him a poopy head? :shrug: I'm hanging on to every word. :mellow:

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 26th, 2018, 3:16 am

How do you guys find new music? I have the same problem with film and books; I just don't know how to find stuff. Which is why I just follow lists, but I rarely like more than 25-50% of 'canon' or canon-like lists. I don't even know what I will like. The RYM 1001 list is one of the least agreeable lists I've worked on, only liking 13 out of the 474 albums I've listened to. I used to use LastFM a lot, but I just stopped finding new stuff after a few years, and now I use Spotify but that's really limited with recommendations. I just want to find music I actually like to listen to :'(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 26th, 2018, 4:39 am

I read a hardrock and metal magazine, so I'm up with the latest metal and also prog. For other stuff, I mostly check out artists I already know and see what new they made. Occasionally I discover something new, but that's pretty random. Sometimes I get recommendations in the music store where I buy my cd's. I also discover new stuff by following 2 meter sessions, which once was a show on radio/TV, but is now broadcasted on the internet.
ICM-profile

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » September 26th, 2018, 4:42 am

mightysparks wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 3:16 am
How do you guys find new music? I have the same problem with film and books; I just don't know how to find stuff. Which is why I just follow lists, but I rarely like more than 25-50% of 'canon' or canon-like lists. I don't even know what I will like. The RYM 1001 list is one of the least agreeable lists I've worked on, only liking 13 out of the 474 albums I've listened to. I used to use LastFM a lot, but I just stopped finding new stuff after a few years, and now I use Spotify but that's really limited with recommendations. I just want to find music I actually like to listen to :'(
have you tried following people the taste you like and get chart recommendations based on them for a year or decade? on rym

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 26th, 2018, 4:48 am

nimimerkillinen wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 4:42 am
mightysparks wrote:
have you tried following people the taste you like and get chart recommendations based on them for a year or decade? on rym
No, but I might try giving that a go. I usually don't like other people's tastes; normally because they're too similar to me, too random (50/50 stuff I like and stuff I hate), or full of metal/rap that I know I ain't gonna like. But I'll go sifting through the users and see what I can find.

@joachimt, I never even thought of looking for a radio station lol. I'm just so used to them being crappy and same-y, but I think I'll go looking for something with a good mix (and also forgot that everything is online now and we're not just stuck with the 5 main stations in WA...)

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » September 26th, 2018, 8:13 am

I find almost all my new music on Spotify these days, via the Discover Weekly playlist, Release Radar playlist, 'Fans also like', personal playlists by artists I like (Four Tet has got a really nice one for an example).

Mothravka

Post by Mothravka » September 26th, 2018, 9:22 am

mightysparks wrote:
Specific music forums, mailing lists/following labels/distros, Discogs, YouTube, word of mouth/talking to people IRL, etc. The possibilities are endless. Even more today.

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » September 26th, 2018, 11:57 am

mightysparks wrote:
Have you try bandcamp? You can follow artists, labels or people who has the same taste as you, I have discover a few bands thanks to it.
They also have this Album of the Day thing going on with a very eclectic selection HERE.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » September 26th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I also use Spotify's Discover New Music or their playlists, word of mouth from friends in RL and will occasionally google "best new rap/r&b albums" or something like that.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » September 28th, 2018, 4:49 pm

mightysparks wrote:
viewtopic.php?p=220473#p220473 :P

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » September 28th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Lammetje wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 4:49 pm
mightysparks wrote:
I listened to Joy Division at YT and all the global darkwave bands just begun popping up in windows on the right - so many great finds, which made me think how much favourite stuff I am actually missing.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 29th, 2018, 2:02 am

Lammetje wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 4:49 pm
mightysparks wrote:
I knew I'd asked before but always looking for more avenues :P

My boyfriend decided to torture me last night by going through the trending videos on Youtube and played two Nicki Minaj music videos. It was repulsive. He slowed one of them down to the slowest setting and it was like a terrifying acid trip. What a greasy monstrosity.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 11th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Did anyone know Jared Leto was a musician??? ((vegan too))
In a small band called 30 Seconds To Mars no less. I've heard some of their songs.
currently working thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 12th, 2018, 5:36 am

Armoreska wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 9:30 pm
In a small band called 30 Seconds To Mars no less. I've heard some of their songs.
I had it the other way around. I knew him from 30 Seconds To Mars when they released their debut album in 2002 and some time later I realized he was an actor as well. :lol:
How big is 30STM anyway these days? I never really followed them.
ICM-profile

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » October 12th, 2018, 5:49 am

joachimt wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 5:36 am
Armoreska wrote:
I had it the other way around. I knew him from 30 Seconds To Mars when they released their debut album in 2002 and some time later I realized he was an actor as well. :lol:
Not my cup of tea but last year they played in Paris in front of 20,000+ people in one of our biggest arenas so I guess they're pretty big

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » October 12th, 2018, 6:42 am

tourdesb wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 5:49 am
joachimt wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 5:36 am
Armoreska wrote:
Not my cup of tea but last year they played in Paris in front of 20,000+ people in one of our biggest arenas so I guess they're pretty big
first saw him in requiem for a dream around the time it came and heard he is in a band a few years later, never have listened to it tho but know its big
@ last.fm SCROBBLES
113.7M
LISTENERS
2.3M

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 16th, 2018, 12:59 am

Just need to say that this year is probably the best year for music. I gave 3 10/10s. I usually give 2-3 albums a 9/10 per year, but in this case it's 11 albums if I include that. On top of that there's still quite a few albums that I'm really looking forward to.