Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Art Thread

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Re: Art Thread

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 18th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Csáki Róbert

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 18th, 2019, 9:38 pm

I received a lengthy art history education in college, though I didn't major. By the end of it, I was thoroughly disenchanted with the learning I had received. It was hideously bound to the canon and overinflated with cleverness rather than authentic engagement with the art. No more abstract exegesis for me! I care now only for the immediate experience of the art object. I don't go to museums much anymore, and when I do I try not to read the wall label.

Anyway, one of the few artists who has interested me in recent years is a draughtsman named Ethan Murrow. He's responsible for long series of meticulously rendered scenes of absurdity. Together, his series construct strange narratives that fascinate and baffle. Here's one of my favorites. It's titled "Negligible Frostnip during Baffin Bay Freefall"

Murrow was also involved in making a short film that played the New York Film Festival about ten years ago. For some reason, it's not listed on imdb, but you can see it in its entirety below. It's only 9 minutes and is "about a community of miners who believe that dust is the last and final resource of any value."

For those who don't have 9 minutes, the pretty cool trailer is here:

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » April 25th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Georgia O'Keeffe - Radiator Buliding - New York Skyscrapers (1927)

and some Blue paintings from her (proto Klein or Miro?)

Blue nude (1918)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_(O%27Keeffe_series)

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » May 3rd, 2019, 11:02 am

This just appeared on my twitter feed labelled Hopper 1955 and I thought, wow, a Hopper I haven't seen.

Turns out it's by Zack Thurmond in 2009 called Edward Hopper's Coffee.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » August 16th, 2019, 1:57 am

I saw some Hopper's work at Whitney, all his works I saw made me feel peaceful and sad.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 18th, 2019, 6:05 am

It's been a long time since I've been to an art museum, but the longest I've stared at a painting was Kandinsky's "Several Circles" at the Guggenheim. This might be my favorite painting of all time.
SpoilerShow
Rothko's paintings are something to experience in person as well.
SpoilerShow
You won't get much from this image, since it just looks like some blotchy rectangles, but in real life if you stare into the wall size paintings you start to see stuff the same way you see figures in a fire. I've had experiences of intense heightened reality looking at his paintings, it's quite something.

Going a bit more classical, bal3x has already shared some amazing paintings by Bruegel. Similar in style is Hieronymus Bosch who I'm guessing most of you are already familiar with:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » August 18th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Kandinsky is one of my top 4 favorite artists. The other three are Paul Cezanne, Giacometti, and Marcel Duchamp. I also like Francis Bacon and Chaim Soutine. My favorite painting of Kandinsky is Dominant Curve.
https://www.guggenheim.org/artwork/1972

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 19th, 2019, 12:05 am

That's another amazing one. Just pure beauty!

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.