Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

What game(s) are you playing now?

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 »

mightysparks wrote: December 18th, 2020, 3:34 am I'm about 40 hours into Cyberpunk now and thoroughly enjoying it. Haven't been this into a game in a long time. I play it every spare second I have.
Agreed, I've clocked 100+ hours already. I can't remember the last time I've been this hooked on this game. It has hands down hands down the best looking interiors in an open world game, and it's immersive without feeling restrictive(looking at you RDR2). I really love the little things that gives it that "hang out" feel, like ticking off dialogue options while riding shotgun, or choosing when to take a drink.

Yes it has a lot of issues, and does feel somewhat unfinished. It should have been scrapped for current gen consoles and be given another year or two of development time, or should have just stayed within the limits of those consoles, but obviously the hole was too deep for either to be a viable option. I feel for the developers, I'm one myself so I know exactly what it's like when people keep making promises to clients without even thinking/checking how feasible it is.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I'm at nearly 90 hours now. I reached the 'point of no return' in the main story a while ago, but I'm leaving it until I've done all/most of the side quests. I've completely finished off two areas and finished one character's storyline. Still hooked. Most of the complaints I've read are because of the bugs (fair enough, but 99% of the bugs I've experienced are just visual glitches) or people who expected something else because of the 'hype', but I hadn't heard of the game until the day before and didn't even know what type of game it was, so I went in with zero expectations.

I like the dialogue options, but I wish they'd incorporated character backstory a little more. I read a review on Steam where a guy said he wanted to play as a 'cold corpo' but after his prologue mission he just became a tough-talking merc. I went nomad so it fit with my character more, but there are times when my character gets overly emotional about stupid things and I wish I could've had more control over that. There are also some really interesting characters who don't get much use, and then we're stuck with really dull characters like Regina calling us all the time.

Also loved the Delamain quest line, and not just for the obvious reason.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 »

Love this song from the end of the Delamain quest line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo4flxOo5Ew
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

funkybusiness wrote: December 17th, 2020, 1:57 pm I don't about Cyberpunk 2077 but I just started playing Cyberpunk 2078 and it's pretty great so far.
I absolutely adored this game. Put more than 100 hours in. Took me a while to get used to the combat (I found it quite complex as someone brought up on Super Mario Bros), but the style is awesome and there's quite a lot of depth to the action. Idle hope, but I wish they'd make a sequel to this.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

Onderhond wrote: December 25th, 2020, 12:19 pm
funkybusiness wrote: December 17th, 2020, 1:57 pm I don't about Cyberpunk 2077 but I just started playing Cyberpunk 2078 and it's pretty great so far.
I absolutely adored this game. Put more than 100 hours in. Took me a while to get used to the combat (I found it quite complex as someone brought up on Super Mario Bros), but the style is awesome and there's quite a lot of depth to the action. Idle hope, but I wish they'd make a sequel to this.
I just finished my first playthrough yesterday. It really is a fantastic game. The story is a little lacking (it's ultimately an anime structure with a bunch of elements from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 set in Blade Runner meets Evangelion world) but the playing of the game itself is phenomenal. Styled out the wazoo and the combat is really engaging, playing as multiple characters at once, multiple weapons, combos, combo interrupts, a constant juggling of all those elements. Currently going back through it trying to S+ everything. and then onto the post-game file 12 stuff.

and also trying to find the last toilet...

re: a sequel: it's possible. It sold pretty well. Platinum just needs to figure out how to finish Bayonetta 3, after, what's it been, five years? but if they were going to do another sequel after that, it'd probably be for Nier: Automata, which sold much, much better. (note: I haven't played either the Bayonetta games or Nier: Automata).
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

funkybusiness wrote: December 25th, 2020, 12:27 pm and then onto the post-game file 12 stuff.
I wonder how you'll fare. I found it crazy hard (the final third of it that is). At the same time, it really challenged me to learn more about the game and all the different fighting techniques.

S+ ing things is fun too, though I don't think I made it all the way through. Some challenges were just a little too hard to pull off within a certain time frame.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

I'm on my third playthrough of Dark Souls, which I first played this summer. I think I'm ready to call it my new favorite game of all time.

It's far from the most flawless, for sure. But it's such a breathtaking, beautiful, eerie, haunting gothic experience. It's a goddamn work of art. I'm so glad I got it and played it on a whim, even though I assumed I wouldn't be able to beat it (it's difficult, but not nearly as difficult as plenty of classic SNES games for instance, and FAR less frustrating than many blockbuster games IMO).

Has anyone else here played it?

If you don't want to play it, then here's 10 hours of the Firelink Shrine theme to make you feel melancholy, but strangely comforted at the same time instead.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

is that the original Dark Souls (non-remaster)? Can you even get it anymore?
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

I have a PS3, so yup. They're still selling it on the Playstation store. I took that screenshot from the internet, though.

I would play the remastered if I had a nice PC or a PS4. There's one area in the original (Blighttown) where the framerate drops to something like 5 FPS in some spots. I believe that's something that got fixed.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

118 hours later and I've finished every mission in Cyberpunk. All the main missions, side gigs, assaults, etc. I did all the different variations of the ending as well. There are still some achievements I'd like to get, but not likely to. I had one crash and two bugs that caused me to reload the game the whole time so it's really not bad at all on PC. The main mission is quite short and ok, but all the side stuff is great and where all the highlights can be found. There are some great storylines and characters. The hustles and assaults got old pretty quickly though (there are just TOO MANY). Overall really good fun and the most energy I've put into a game in years.

I've now started playing Disco Elysium, which I'm liking so far but haven't even finished the first day yet so will have to wait and see...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I'm planning to buy a new laptop in the near future. I'm wondering, how good of a graphics card should I get?

I haven't done much gaming on my old laptop, but I'd like to do some gaming on my new laptop. I'm not sure which games I want to play, but I guess I want a laptop that's good enough to run most of the popular/acclaimed games.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

mjf314 wrote: January 9th, 2021, 10:49 pm I'm planning to buy a new laptop in the near future. I'm wondering, how good of a graphics card should I get?

I haven't done much gaming on my old laptop, but I'd like to do some gaming on my new laptop. I'm not sure which games I want to play, but I guess I want a laptop that's good enough to run most of the popular/acclaimed games.
systemrequirementslab will help you figure this out. Just look up the most demanding game you think you'd wanna play, and see what the minimum and recommended requirements for it is.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

mjf314 wrote: January 9th, 2021, 10:49 pm I'm planning to buy a new laptop in the near future. I'm wondering, how good of a graphics card should I get?

Why a laptop and not (also) a desktop? Generally "gaming laptop" means heavy, low battery life, and very expensive, and you'd be better off getting a solid laptop focusing on form factor and battery life, and then a mid line desktop for games and processor intensive applications. That said, there are edge case exceptions to the above, but you can also play plenty of well regarded games on a good light laptop with an integrated video card (integrated video has come a long way over the last decade). Since you're not sure what games you want to play, I'd just choose games based on what runs on your laptop rather than choosing a laptop based on the games you don't know.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I occasionally bring my laptop with me when I go places, but I keep it plugged in 99% of the time, so battery isn't a big issue, and weight isn't a big issue. I guess a gaming laptop would be cheaper than a mid laptop + mid desktop, but I could be mistaken. There are some laptops in the $1000-$1300 range that I'm considering, but I'm not sure if you consider that expensive.

I imagine that once I get into gaming, I'll find some games that interest me. I don't need to play everything, but I don't want to frequently come across games that I can't play.

What are some examples of acclaimed modern games that have high system requirements?
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

I guess AAA games like Cyberpunk, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, DOOM Eternal will be those with highest requirements. Note, I haven't played any of those four, so these aren't recommendations just big names with acclaim released this year that are graphics intensive.

It looks like there are not terribly priced laptops that will run Doom, so maybe you'll be able to find something if you don't mind it being rather heavy.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Hotline Miami was $2.50 on Steam, so I bought it and played it. Can't say I liked it. The game is loud, ugly and stupid. The "story" is a joke. None of that would matter if the gameplay was solid, as it's a combat-based game, but I found the combat frustrating pretty much throughout. At least it was short?

Add it to my long list of popular indie games I didn't like:

Axiom Verge
Katana Zero (would have really liked this if it felt like a complete game and not a fully priced playable teaser)
The Messenger
Shovel Knight

Not trying to be such a hater. But I feel how I feel. At least Steam's recommendation algorithm gave me Hollow Knight and Celeste (and Don't Starve Together, which I've sunk more hours into than any other game I've ever played).

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

mjf314 wrote: January 9th, 2021, 11:24 pm I guess a gaming laptop would be cheaper than a mid laptop + mid desktop
I really would not count on that, especially if you are capable or know someone who is capable of building the desktop PC.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Just beat a point and click game published by The Discovery Channel. It was quite fascinating. Will hopefully make a video on it next week.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Am I going too deep into research for my long-term Zelda project?

Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Currently playing South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Just as good as The Stick Of Truth, having so much fun with it even though I never really saw the series itself.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

The part where you gotta get water from the spring in Skyward Sword :lol:

This game is a piece of performance art meant to show the flaw of padding and backtracking by taking it to absurd levels, right? Please tell me I'm right.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I updated my "Traveling Salesman" game, and now it has an online leaderboard! (I'm using MongoDB in case anyone is curious)

You can play it at https://tranquil-brook-52082.herokuapp.com/

There's a different leaderboard for every number of dots (3-50).
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Pretentious Hipster wrote: March 9th, 2020, 7:07 pm If you guys wanna see a fucking awesome game

This just came out on GOG a few days ago for a few dollars. Definitely worth getting, and it gave me a small boost in views :)
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I was gonna decrease the amount I make videos to every 2 weeks instead of weekly. I won't be able to do it this time, a video won't be out until mid February. Trust me though, it's gonna be a huge change and a big deal.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Finished The Fractured But Whole and it was amazing.
Now on to the DLCs and maybe The Stick of Truth after that.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Room for improvement obv but considering it's the first time I did a complete channel rehaul it's a fantastic piece of work that I am so proud of

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I've been interested in Factorio since forever but have been waiting for it to go on sale on Steam, which it never seems to (or I miss it when it does). Finally decided to buy it yesterday. I'm 3-4 hours in and still haven't finished the tutorial so I can tell it's gonna take a while to get my head around. I love all these resource management type of games so I was pretty sure I'd love this one. Enjoying it a lot so far, but idk if I have the time to really invest in it. We'll see....

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

My next video was gonna be on Star Wars Droidworks, but I have found the weirdest game ever made. Just gonna leave at that for now but I gotta try to finish it as fast as I can.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

I've been trying to find a game to play for over a week now since I finished South Park.

I've tried reinstalling GTA V and while it is a phenomenal game it's not worth it to go through the average story for a 3rd time.
Sadly I never could get into RDR2, it was too slow and the lack of saving options and clunky controls really annoyed me. I wonder if I should give it a second chance.

I am on the verge of buying AC:Valhalla as I liked Odyssey quite a bit. I'm not expecting anything new but it seems like a safe option. Even though I don't want to help Ubisoft.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

Coryn wrote: February 9th, 2021, 10:21 am I've been trying to find a game to play for over a week now since I finished South Park.

I've tried reinstalling GTA V and while it is a phenomenal game it's not worth it to go through the average story for a 3rd time.
Sadly I never could get into RDR2, it was too slow and the lack of saving options and clunky controls really annoyed me. I wonder if I should give it a second chance.

I am on the verge of buying AC:Valhalla as I liked Odyssey quite a bit. I'm not expecting anything new but it seems like a safe option. Even though I don't want to help Ubisoft.
What platform are you using? Is this PC, playstation, xbox, etc.?
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Pc only.

Looking for an adventure, rpg, sports or racing game.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

The next video is gonna have a plot, and the following references: Noise music, Xenakis, Tim and Eric, Troll 2, and Provo's Most Eligible. It's gonna be a very embarrassing video
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on February 9th, 2021, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Coryn wrote: February 9th, 2021, 11:30 am Pc only.

Looking for an adventure, rpg, sports or racing game.
Don't dish out monies to Ubisoft :yucky: I can recommend Sekiro, Nier Automata and Yakuza series.