Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

My biggest video will be in February 21, 2021. A long way ahead, but it's gonna require so much work that I'll be starting on it now. Gotta buy a fancy camera and microphone that my brother's girlfriend can sell me as well. The outfit I need for it is $100 off now so maybe I should get it. If I don't get lots of views from this then I really dunno what will.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

tirefeet wrote: August 13th, 2020, 7:54 pm
weirdboy wrote: August 12th, 2020, 2:05 pm
tirefeet wrote: August 5th, 2020, 6:27 pm I have played Shadow of Chernobyl, most likely the hardest game I have played on a normal setting.
Have you played Pathologic? It is completely brutal but still so rewarding when you make even the tiniest bit of progress.
It was on my Steam wishlist but I have removed it apparently. I remember reading on it, so there is Pathologic 2 which is a remaster or rather a remake of the original Pathologic IIRC. Which edition would you recommend? Maybe I have removed it because of this confusion :rolleyes: :D
I think Pathologic 2 is the way to go if you have not played it before.
If you finish that one and want more you can go get Pathologic HD to play the other bits of story that were not included in the remake, but the UI is dated and not nearly as easy to use.
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Thanks! Incidentally Pathologic Classic HD is available on Steam currently with 90% discount but it doesn't work on Linux so I shall pick up Pathologic 2 when it hits a sale.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Ah, some great memories from high school...I loved that Chronicles of Riddick game. Probably the best movie tie-in game ever, in my opinion at least.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I'm not sure if it's stockholm syndrome, but Zelda's Adventure actually has a certain charm to it. I love how odd it looks. Of course, I am a fan of early CD games because of this reason, so I may be biased. But then I get into the dungeons and the bad hitboxes and stilted controls make me hate it again.

Still, the Shrine of Illusion is legit a good dungeon theme, and I love the boss. A werewolf jester that does cartwheels.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I just saw that they’re releasing Super Mario 64; Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy for the Switch on the 18th :woot: the first two are in my top all time favourites and Galaxy I never played enough of but always wanted to revisit. Actually the best news ever. I haven’t played Sunshine since I was like 13 omgggggg
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

yooo I just preordered it. 64 and Galaxy are in my top X games and I've never played Sunshine!

I get having a limited release window for a physical edition but why tf is the digital copy limited as well?

I mean, I know why. It's because they're doing the same for Zelda next year and they don't want people buying old games, they want them buying the latest thing.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: September 4th, 2020, 4:32 pm I'm not sure if it's stockholm syndrome, but Zelda's Adventure actually has a certain charm to it. I love how odd it looks. Of course, I am a fan of early CD games because of this reason, so I may be biased. But then I get into the dungeons and the bad hitboxes and stilted controls make me hate it again.

Still, the Shrine of Illusion is legit a good dungeon theme, and I love the boss. A werewolf jester that does cartwheels.
wait that's what the CD-i games look like? woah. my grandma bought me those at a garage sale when I was a tiny child and it took me ages to figure out why they wouldn't play in the computer.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

I've tried to play Super Mario 64, probably 64 times and eventually rage quit each time. I don't get it. Not only it a '90s platformer, which already makes it a nightmare, but the slippery slidey mechanics of the Mario games in general make it more of a rage game than Getting Over It. Add in the incredibly annoying sound effects Mario makes every time he jumps and it turns into my own vision of personal hell. :verymad: To this day my biggest lifelong mystery is how every single person in the world except for me seems to enjoy the Mario games.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I love his jumpy sound effects :'( Super Mario 64 was easily the game I played most as a kid, but I didn't finish it until a few years ago on an emulator. Maybe coz it was the game that taught me how to play games I don't notice the annoying things. I've loved pretty much every game and can't get enough.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

It might have the best looking floor masters

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

funkybusiness wrote: September 5th, 2020, 7:24 am yooo I just preordered it. 64 and Galaxy are in my top X games and I've never played Sunshine!

I get having a limited release window for a physical edition but why tf is the digital copy limited as well?

I mean, I know why. It's because they're doing the same for Zelda next year and they don't want people buying old games, they want them buying the latest thing.
Did you get the physical or digital? I can’t decide which to go for :( I want physical to save space on my memory card but worried I could lose it. I want digital so I don’t have to leave the house or interact with anyone to pick it up, and to have it around forever.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

mightysparks wrote: September 6th, 2020, 7:54 am
funkybusiness wrote: September 5th, 2020, 7:24 am yooo I just preordered it. 64 and Galaxy are in my top X games and I've never played Sunshine!

Did you get the physical or digital? I can’t decide which to go for :( I want physical to save space on my memory card but worried I could lose it. I want digital so I don’t have to leave the house or interact with anyone to pick it up, and to have it around forever.
physical. supposed to arrive in the mail on release day. I usually go digital but I ordered a physical release for this one because, 1. I also need a new memory card, I'm outta space and 2. I'm suspicious of any "release window" chicanery.
I don't ever take my Switch anywhere so I'm not worried about losing games.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Yeah I never take mine anywhere but just worried it could get misplaced or damaged during a move or something. Nothing has ever arrived 'on release day' where I live so I didn't want to go with a delivery. Argh I still don't know what to do. I guess I don't need it ON release day and can wait a few days but rargh bleh.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I bought Ring Fit Adventure today. When it first came out I wasn't very interested in it and expected another Wii Fit type of thing (which was ok, but not really that useful). But it kept getting brought up in the weight loss subs I'm in and since I'm struggling to stick to any kind of exercise outside of my 10k daily steps, I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm doing well nutrition-wise right now (down 2.2kg in 2 weeks yea boi), but I wanted to start getting some cardio in too. I was just playing for about 30 minutes and I'm exhausted. I already felt worn out just setting the thing up lol so it's a pretty good workout if you don't really workout. I can imagine if you're already fit and exercise regularly it's probably not going to be intense enough but I'm sweaty and red in the face and my HR was up to 150. I thought it was pretty fun and it's the only thing that's ever going to get me doing 60 squats in 30 minutes... I am starting to get sick of the default moves so I'm looking forward to unlocking more later. Fun stats and mini-game things too, so I'm sure this will keep me entertained for a while.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I managed to beat Zelda's Adventure. Will I get an award for completing the 3 CDi games?

The shrine of strength is legit one of the best zelda dungeons.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: July 17th, 2020, 8:32 pm Image
Butcher Bay 8/10. finished, remember atmosphere and some gameplay only.
HL2 11/10 finished 3 times and watched some playthrough bits & pieces over time. remember every patch of it.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

I am getting close to 200 hours played in Zelda Breath of the Wild, and I still have not even tried to beat Ganon yet. I have finally got all the shrines done, though. And I keep randomly running across sidequests and korok seeds all over the place.

Speaking of which, where is that guy where you can trade korok seeds for storage space? I do not remember where he is now and would love to be able to carry more stuff. I expanded a couple of times previously when I ran across him, but that was months ago IRL.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

If you've already done the Macaras quest (en route to Kakariko Village, where you meet Hestu originally), you can later find him at Woodland Stable. Once you talk to him there, he'll go back home, near the Great Deku Tree, the big pink tree north-north-east of Hyrule Castle. You have to navigate through the Lost Woods to get to it.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Playing my first Japanese visual novel, but it hasn no anime aesthetic. Called Gadget Invention, Travel, & Adventure. It just got super creepy.

https://i.imgur.com/gw2SqQg.gif
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

It turns out that David Lynch loved this game so much he wanted to make a similar game with the same company, but it didn't work out.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Never heard of it wow, I'm on board!
Del Toro also mentioned it.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I did beat it, but there's a remastered version, a book, and a film. I'll go through all of those and hope to have a review in a week or two.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

My King's Quest video is like half dislikes now. I don't get it? :shrug: I said the game was good. This is why negative comments are useful.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

It's 12:4
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Armoreska wrote: September 16th, 2020, 11:56 amIt's 12:4
Was it you that gave the 12th like then :p if not that would have been a hilarious coincidence.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: September 16th, 2020, 11:57 am
Armoreska wrote: September 16th, 2020, 11:56 amIt's 12:4
Was it you that gave the 12th like then :p if not that would have been a hilarious coincidence.
Sure
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Cool news! I have GOG.com account but never made a purchase yet. I have a question for anyone who has to ask if it integrates with Steam, meaning you can track hours played and have access through single interface, achievements not important.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

Wasn't MGS2 the one that had that puzzle/boss fight where you had to switch to the other controller?
I wonder how well that works on a PC with one controller.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

That was the first one, Metal Gear Solid. They just need to find some suitably meta alternative.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

tirefeet wrote: September 26th, 2020, 8:24 am Cool news! I have GOG.com account but never made a purchase yet. I have a question for anyone who has to ask if it integrates with Steam, meaning you can track hours played and have access through single interface, achievements not important.
Not natively, however if all you want to do is track hours and launch, steam lets you do that for anything. Install the DRM free GOG installer, then link it into steam. It'll be on your steam library list, track hours let you launch it from there and even show that you're playing to steam friends.

GOG now has its own, optional, launcher that lets you do the same in reverse but I've never used it.
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Thanks, that pretty much checks all the boxes for me and then some. Need to get HOMM3 complete when it hits a sale.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Triforce Heroes feels like a bad mobile game.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

When people say OoT is their favorite game but don't like the water temple, it's important to distinguish that probably for most people "best game" doesn't mean "most perfect." I can applaud a game for perfectly achieving what it sets out to do with no flaws - say, Tetris - without having any real interest or engagement with it.

On the other end of the spectrum, no Dark Souls fan, for instance, likes the Bed of Chaos, yet it is still for most one of the best games of all time, warts and all. What it gets right, it gets so right that the overall impact (and "iconic" sense of the game that seems to get better in memory) that it did far better on 'best of the decade' lists than games considered less flawed overall.

(I feel the same way about movies)
Last edited by outdoorcats on October 2nd, 2020, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.