Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Re: What game(s) are you playing now?

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 27th, 2020, 11:22 pm

mjf314 wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 11:04 pm
Did I understand correctly? The touchscreen is the only way to control Link in Phantom Hourglass? Thanks for the warning. I immediately lost all interest in the game.
There is this option available. I might do it before my zelda ranked video to see if it changes the game at all: https://gbatemp.net/threads/legend-of-z ... ch.375388/

Spirit Tracks is apparently much worse because you use the microphone constantly.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 28th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Alright there is an aspect of Ocarina of Time that seems obtuse. I didn't mind it in the original Zelda except for a dungeon being hidden in a bush. Here, the hookshot seems to be hidden as well. It's also a required item which is a bit of a turnoff. Perhaps I am wrong and there is a hint? But, I failed to find one.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 28th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 2:00 pm
Alright there is an aspect of Ocarina of Time that seems obtuse. I didn't mind it in the original Zelda except for a dungeon being hidden in a bush. Here, the hookshot seems to be hidden as well. It's also a required item which is a bit of a turnoff. Perhaps I am wrong and there is a hint? But, I failed to find one.
I just checked a text dump of Ocarina of Time, and there are at least 3 hints about the hookshot.
SpoilerShow
To save the forest girl, you need
another skill...
Head to Kakariko Village!
I tell you, I saw him!
I saw the ghostly figure of Dampé

the gravekeeper sinking into
his grave. It looked like he was
holding some kind of treasure!
The gravekeeper's diary is here.
Do you want to read it?
Yes
No

Whoever reads this, please enter
my grave. I will let you have my
stretching, shrinking keepsake.
I'm waiting for you.
--Dampé

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 28th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Ah his cabin! Totally overlooked that. Thank you so much.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 28th, 2020, 10:03 pm

It turns out the 2 people in front of the free in the village (like right in front when you get in) tell you to go to the graveyard. That's my mistake. I will definitely look at text dumps and all that before doing my review.

That being said, I was almost locked out of the game, and will mention it in my review. I dunno if I will say it's problems with the game. Most likely problems with the console. Just don't play the n64 anymore it is garbage.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 29th, 2020, 1:35 am

I started playing Beyond Oasis. It's the first Genesis game that I tried. I got bored in about 30 minutes, so I don't think I'll finish it.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 29th, 2020, 11:09 am

Epic Games Store have had some free games available lately, should've posted sooner. I missed out on GTA 5, but I grabbed Civ 6 recently and the current free game is Borderlands 2 and a second one called Sludge Life.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 30th, 2020, 3:33 am

I started playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I got bored in 15 minutes. I think I'm going to give up on the Genesis.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 30th, 2020, 4:43 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 30th, 2020, 3:33 am
I started playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I got bored in 15 minutes. I think I'm going to give up on the Genesis.
I'm curious what you disliked about this. I played Sonic again for a bit a few days ago and it brought back memories but the gameplay is very unique and I can see how it could be boring. It doesn't have the deliberateness of most platformers and the speed makes it hard to really "get" the exploration aspect. You can progress while missing a bunch and it gets better when you begin to learn the levels but the game doesn't do much to actively encourage that.

I find it really hard to recommend anything based on your earlier list since those are such particular titles. The only common theme is Nintendo and there isn't much of anything like any of them.

Going off the puzzle game comment earlier I wonder if you'd like a Zachtronics game like Opus Magnum or Spacechem. They're nothing like anything else, but they strike me as something you might enjoy. They're not typical puzzles but more visual programming type puzzles where you combine things that follow rules to get a result.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 30th, 2020, 2:30 pm

I don't like the speed. It's too hard to react to what's ahead of you, and hard to appreciate the level design because you see everything for such a short time. There are also too many parts where you need to be going fast enough, and if you're not, you have to backtrack so you can gain speed. Also the visuals look boring to me, and there's too much running and not enough other stuff, and the one boss that I fought was boring. I only played a few levels, so maybe it gets better later.

It's hard to explain what I do like other than by giving examples, but Donkey Kong Country 2 is my favorite platformer. It has the most interesting level design that I've seen in a platformer, and great visuals and music and lots of variety.

I've played very few non-Nintendo games in the past, so maybe if I play more of them, I'll find some that I like.

Thanks for the puzzle game recommendations.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 30th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Started a game called Quarantine. I can't even say if I like it or not, but I'm surprised it's so obscure considering what it is. Not only is it Crazy Taxi made 5 years before, but it's made by Rockstar Toronto. They called themselves imagexcel while making this, but most of the team that did this went on to make GTA and Red Dead Redemption 2.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 30th, 2020, 3:51 pm

@PH - a timely title.

I'm making my way through Dark Souls 2 at the moment (the Scholar of the First Sin edition). I can see where a lot of critics are coming from - a lot of the bosses are certainly uninspired, including two bosses literally reused from Dark Souls 1 and one "boss" that is just a bunch of enemies in a room - but I'm still having a lot of fun. It lacks Hidetaki Miyazaki's vision and originality (he was working on Bloodborne), but it's still a Souls game - fun combat, breathtaking visuals, haunting music, memorable NPCs.

I'm playing online too, where I played DS1 offline. The player messages range from helpful to amusing (there isn't a single cliff or edge where someone hasn't written "Try jumping," which is either a troll or a genuine suggestion of resignation from players too frustrated to continue), I've been invaded twice by the same player, and I summoned another player to help me with a boss I was having a lot of trouble with (the Ruin Sentinels, who can politely fuck off).

Also almost done with Celeste chapter 9. If there's anything that can make a Souls game look like a cakewalk in comparison, it's the final bonus chapter of Celeste:

(linking a speedrun that skips cutscenes, so no story spoilers until the 18:30 mark)

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 30th, 2020, 3:53 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
May 30th, 2020, 3:51 pm
@PH - a timely title.
That's the reason why I played it. Thought it would be good for views. But now seeing it I think "Rockstar's Crazy Taxi" would make some good views too.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 30th, 2020, 7:18 pm

I played Marvelous: Another Treasure Island for about an hour. It's ok, but I don't think I'll finish it.

So far, the puzzles are more tedious than fun. Simple things like opening a chest or lifting things take too long. I don't like having to blow the whistle to get the teammates to follow me, and if I forget to blow the whistle, I have to go back to look for them.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 31st, 2020, 3:12 am

I played Suikoden II for about an hour. I'm enjoying it somewhat, but not as much as I liked Chrono Trigger. I'm not sure if I'll finish it. I think I'm more interested in finishing Final Fantasy VI (which I also played for about an hour).

Maybe I'm not a fan of the genre, but I think Suikoden II has too much war and not enough fantasy.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » June 3rd, 2020, 2:27 am

Is this the big announcement Sega promised?

https://60th.sega.com/ggmicro/

What a stupid thing!

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » June 5th, 2020, 1:00 am

Lmao that video got 10 views in almost 2 days (4 being people I know), and a 0.8% click rate. I don't think a video could get worse stats than that.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » June 8th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Picked up Papers, Please from Steam yesterday and played it awhile. Now waiting for the obtaining the other game by Lucas Pope called Return of the Obra Dinn to drop in price a bit, hopefully during the upcoming summer sale.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 8th, 2020, 9:39 pm

I played a little of Papers Please but didn't finish it. After a while I liked the idea more than actually playing it. Return of the Obra Dinn looks really cool though, I too am waiting for it to get a nice price cut.

Meanwhile in Dark Souls 2, I recently beat Fume Knight, which was maybe the hardest boss fight I've ever beaten in a game ever (for me, anyway). Unfortunately as I get into the DLC with the more challenging bosses that require frame perfect dodges (such as Fume Knight, the blue Smelter Demon or Sir Alonne) it's really exposing some of the weaknesses in DS2 compared to the first game when it comes to fight mechanics, particularly hitboxes and i-frames. The core premise of the games is supposed to be "hard but fair" (90% of the time, anyway) especially when it comes to combat, it's frustrating when you can get sucked back into an attack you just dodged (example). I still am mostly loving the game though, and recently beat Aava, the King's Pet who is one of my favorite boss fights ever, a fight that hits the sweet spot of being just challenging enough for me while also having an awesome design.

TL;DR - Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 2 but not by as much as the DS2 haters say. I still enjoy DS2 far more than most games.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » June 8th, 2020, 9:52 pm

I managed to get past two weeks on my third try playing the scenario. I copied all the city information to a spreadsheet to fasten my workflow but it only helps so much when you get fed so much information and it gets really annoying that your desk gets filled with more mumbo jumbo day by day.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 12th, 2020, 9:36 pm

re: Papers Please, I was struggling with boredom as much as I was the workflow tbh.

So, this was just released:

Being done by the same company that re-did Shadow of the Colossus.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » June 12th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Rumors of Bloodborne coming to PC is enough to excite me. I mean to put together a machine as new architectures of Ryzen processors and Nvidia video cards hit the market along with Samsung's pcie 4 compliant nvme ssd's. Subjecting it to a duress such as running Bloodborne on 2k resolution with 60 frames per sec would be cool :D :D Though it would also have to be Linux compatible which is far from a guarantee.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 13th, 2020, 1:18 am

My potato PC struggles to run many 2D games and most 3D ones; it would actually be cheaper for me to get a used PS4 to play Bloodborne. Since I'm a couple of generations behind in consoles, I'm sure PS4 graphics will be mindblowing enough for me (I just played The Last of Us for instance for the first time on the PS3, and it's the most breathtaking game I've ever played).

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » June 13th, 2020, 3:29 am

I played Super Metroid for about an hour. I haven't decided yet if I'll finish it, but I think I like it slightly more than Castlevania: SotN.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » June 13th, 2020, 2:25 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 1:18 am
My potato PC struggles to run many 2D games and most 3D ones; it would actually be cheaper for me to get a used PS4 to play Bloodborne. Since I'm a couple of generations behind in consoles, I'm sure PS4 graphics will be mindblowing enough for me (I just played The Last of Us for instance for the first time on the PS3, and it's the most breathtaking game I've ever played).
Any hype for the part 2? I am not interested in the series myself since it is PS exclusive but I came to know these last couple of months that it has very passionate fans.

sebby

Post by sebby » June 13th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Part 2 looks like the least fun great video game one can play. Just ultra brutal. I was planning on buying it right when it released but I don't think it's the sort of thing I want to play at the moment. I'll just keep plugging away at Stardew Valley and maybe finally I'll get around to stuff like Ratchet and Clank and Mega Man 11.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » June 14th, 2020, 12:44 am

I'm very interested in both Last of Us part 2, and the Horizon Zero Dawn sequel. However as these were new IP in the last generation and now we are seeing sequels, my anticipation is tempered by a long history of such games not being as fun as the first iteration.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 14th, 2020, 6:50 am

I'm as excited as someone can be who probably won't be able to play it for a long time. Glad to see it's getting amazing reviews, despite the negativity surrounding the plot leaks (part of which seemed to be fueled by right wing trolls).

sebby

Post by sebby » June 14th, 2020, 10:48 am

I'm pretty bummed about having a few plot points spoiled by Google of all things.

The incel backlash is hilariously sad. Everything has a toxic fanbase if you go deep enough, but with gaming it's practically surface level.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » June 14th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Tbf it is a nice one

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » June 18th, 2020, 1:33 am

I finished Super Metroid. I saved the animals. I feel like a good person now.

I don't think I'll put it on my list of favorites, but I liked it enough to finish it. My biggest complaint is the jumping. It doesn't feel right. I think Mario and Donkey Kong Country games handle jumping better.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 18th, 2020, 3:00 am

now you can meme with the best of 'em at GDQ.

that's always a bidding war thing, to save or kill the animals during the obligatory Super Metroid run.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » June 18th, 2020, 12:34 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 3:00 am
now you can meme with the best of 'em at GDQ.

that's always a bidding war thing, to save or kill the animals during the obligatory Super Metroid run.
I've seen the bidding war before, but I don't think I ever watched the part of the run where they get saved, so now I know what that's all about.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 18th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Ah yes, the staircases in the ice palace. Not a fan lol. It's like a 98-99% perfect game though.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 19th, 2020, 4:45 am

I remember it being quite the disappointment when I first played it. A combination of too easy, too short and me getting much better at video games probably, but I'd finished it in a long weekend. Not what I was expecting of an epic Zelda adventure.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » July 1st, 2020, 4:18 am

I built a garden in Animal Crossing.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » Yesterday, 6:50 am

I haven't played AC in ages, but I kinda want to redo my entire town and idk what I want so I'll leave that for another time. Your garden is pretty cool though, I'm so bored of my island.

Since semester break started I've been playing Runescape again. I cancel my sub as soon as I'm studying because I know my soul will get sucked away, but it's been pretty good. Still nowhere near catching up to my original account, but I've been questing and doing some afk skilling while reading Les Mis which has been pretty nice and productive.

I've taken a break from it for a while up until today, but I've also been playing Last of Us 2. I'm about 8 hours into the game, but I get scared and panicky and sweaty really quickly so I can only play a little at a time. I got up to the TV station today. The first game is my boyfriend's favourite and he's been trying to take this one slowly to not 'waste' it, but he's about 20+ hours in. He wanted to watch me play once and I asked him what he thought and he said 'you're too scared' lol. I don't remember the first game that well, but I feel like this one is a little more open so the gameplay stuff is quite fun. The characters suck though, and I didn't really like Joel and Ellie that much but their dynamic was nice enough. The new characters are so dull and the dialogue is pretty poor. I much prefer exploring the world and finding out information through the notes and stuff left around.

I also started playing Town of Salem again last night after a few years break. My bf decided to try it and has been playing it nonstop. We played a few games together last night (not in cahoots, I told him he wasn't allowed to talk to me about the game IRL while we were playing. Cheaters suck) and it was pretty fun. I find the game really hard though because I can't tell when people are lying and I suck at lying so I'm only ever good at playing the nice town roles.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT