Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: South Asia (Results), Doubling the Canon (Results), 1950s (May 24th), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

shugs
Donator

Re: What game(s) are you playing now?

Post by shugs » April 20th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Check your login history on your Nintendo accounts, there might have been a leak on their side.

https://old.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch ... n_history/

I also got a "new sign-in" email from Nintendo, changed my password and removed my Paypal/card information.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 20th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Currently pushing every last bit of gameplay out of Astral Chain. The final cases are a bit harder than I'd like, but for some reason I can't leave this game alone. Truly one of the best action games I've ever played. Also love the cyberpunk/scifi/neon style to bits.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 21st, 2020, 12:00 am

shugs wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 6:25 pm
Check your login history on your Nintendo accounts, there might have been a leak on their side.

https://old.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch ... n_history/

I also got a "new sign-in" email from Nintendo, changed my password and removed my Paypal/card information.
This happened to me about a month ago, luckily I had just woken up and quickly logged in and changed my password. I also added the Authenticator thingy. Haven’t had any issues since then.

I started replaying Portal 2 yesterday. It’s just so damn good, I could get lost in that game forever. Aside from the weird stuttering lag, there isn’t anything I don’t like. I haven’t played the whole game in a while and I’d forgotten some bits and some levels have taken me a few mins to work out again instead of just blasting through it all. Despite being a gamer boy, the bf has never played the Portal games so I’ve been trying to convince him to buy them when on special... also so I can finally get the rest of the co-op achievements for Portal 2 lol .
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 21st, 2020, 12:16 am

I had the best animal crossing day the other day. Finished a bridge, found two gold nuggets, CJ day, and Pietro has a cotton candy machine IN HIS HOUSE

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 21st, 2020, 12:28 am

I’ve almost finished terraforming my island and moving all the houses around, but I’m focusing on cross breeding flowers at the moment and it’s taking foreverrrr. I’m trying to get villagers to move out so I can replace them with cooler ones.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 21st, 2020, 12:39 am

I've been pretty lucky, I'm pretty happy with my villagers so far. Apple is my least favorite, that's how solid my picks have been.

I should be getting another soon.

Flower crossbreeding is really time-consuming. It takes days and then sometimes... nothing happens!

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 21st, 2020, 12:46 am

I like two of mine and the rest are more or less replaceable. I want to try and get at least one of each personality type because I have a few doubles and I keep getting the same dialogue. And I want some cute ones.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 21st, 2020, 7:16 pm

Decided to try out the Dutch Christian bootleg of the Uncharted games before playing it.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 23rd, 2020, 5:39 pm

I hope they put "The Dutch Christian bootleg of Uncharted!" on the back of the box.

I got a used Playstation 3 to pass the time (70 dollars - not bad), so now I can play a lot of games I've always wanted to play but was never able to. Either because they were Playstation exclusives or because the PC ports would look like a slideshow on my potato PC.

Currently addicted to Dark Souls. I have nitpicks about camera angles, particularly in boss fights in cramped quarters (where the boss can at moments fill up the entire screen and you can't see where you are in relation to it - not ideal in fights where every moment counts) - but otherwise love this game passionately so far. Incredible atmosphere, great level design, satisfying and unusually fair combat mechanics--now I see what everyone was so excited about 10 years ago.

I also got a copy of The Last of Us, and I also plan to eventually play Dark Souls II, Demon's Souls, Metal Gear Solid 4, the first three Uncharted games, Red Dead Redemption, and maybe others. I'm interested in recommendations for hidden gems, as I've only heard of the more acclaimed blockbuster titles. Not interested in collectathon games though.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 23rd, 2020, 5:44 pm

Do you have a ps4? You can get Journey and the Uncharted trilogy for free, but I dunno if the offer is still valid.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 23rd, 2020, 6:15 pm

No PS4, no. I can't even afford a used one.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 24th, 2020, 6:42 pm

This is one of my shortest videos which makes me worried that it's not good enough. Also had some issues with having a consistent aspect ratio, but it looks like the raw footage was like that so I had no way to fix it

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 24th, 2020, 6:50 pm

I'm one of those people who played it as a kid. Or, watched my older siblings play it since I didn't understand the puzzles. Even seeing clips of it and hearing the music is triggering some serious nostalgia.

The sequel Riven is even trippier and has some brilliant visuals.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 2nd, 2020, 6:51 pm

Yea I'll play Riven soon.

Reviews are gonna be tough to do for the next while. Working a lot more now and I have a new PC coming in very soon so I gotta prepare that one for stuff and backup/transfer everything to another computer. As a tease I can say what my next few reviews will be. The last one I'm technically done playing, but I wanna play some mods for it before finalizing my opinion on it.

SpoilerShow

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 3rd, 2020, 2:18 am

Moved my last villager to their final spot yesterday so I finally have all the buildings in their place:

Now focusing on bridges and inclines to make it easier to get around but it's hard to make money now (all the good fish are gone :( ). Also need decorations and stuff, but I've got my island to a 4 star rating so it's going ok. Not sure what I'm doing with the bottom left-hand side yet. I'm trying to get most of the animals to move out now so I can replace them with new ones. Margie asked to move out today for the second time so I'm letting her go even though I kinda liked her, but there's others I want gone more. So I'm just ignoring everyone I don't like until they want to move lol.

I normally only play for about an hour in the mornings (aside from seeing KK on Saturday nights) so I miss all the night time stuff. There was a meteor shower last night so I did that and ended up with about 30 star fragments this morning.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 3rd, 2020, 8:49 pm

I played BS Zelda (the version with 4 episodes and a timer). It's not bad, but I don't think it's as good as the original Zelda.

I don't like the idea of having a time limit and having to do things at specific times. It discourages exploration because I keep worrying that I might be too slow, and exploration is one of the main strengths of the Zelda series. If I'm too fast then I have to wait.

I didn't like being constantly interrupted with a new message. An occasional message might have been good, but they overdid it. Sometimes it told me to do something that I already did. Sometimes it cast a spell to give me infinite bombs or to change merchant prices. I don't think those contributed much to the game and just felt like interruptions.

There are also a lot things that the original game does better. These are just minor details, but when you put all of them together, I think it makes a big difference.

If you damage an enemy, it can hurt you immediately after (in the original the enemy can't hurt you for a split second).

You can't change your sword direction mid-swing.

Sometimes when I tried to burn a tree, it didn't work.

When you go down a stairway, there's no fade-in / fade-out. It feels cheaper without the fading.

Patra only moves up and down, which makes it too easy (in the original he moves left and right as well).

There's no way to save, and no way to quickly exit a dungeon (in the original you could do this by pausing and pressing up+A on controller 2).

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 4th, 2020, 3:19 am

Those comments make you sound like a speedrunner :p although I think I remember to being one for Mario kart

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 4th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Yes, I used to speedrun Mario Kart.

When I play Zelda games, I play casually, although I've watched other people speedrun it.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 4th, 2020, 1:12 pm

What you should keep in mind is that these episodes were aired once a week, so having those reminders of what to do, even if you've done them before, were good reminders. Kind of like how tv shows had the "last week at this show" kind of intros.

The rest seem like valid criticisms, but I didn't play the game in-depth enough to notice those differences.

I do agree that the original zelda is better simply because BS zelda had a second season and it really came across as too repetitive.

I did try the first episode of Ancient Stone Tablets, which is BS zelda but for a Link to the Past. That one seems to calm down on the messages, and if you have time to spare you can play some minigames. The dungeon design is slightly better, but the flaw is that there are a lot of hidden rooms... but you can see where those rooms are when you get a map, so making them hidden was so pointless.

My save for it broke though so I got frustrated and will give it a break. I'll get back to it after finishing Doom, Twilight Princess, Dawn of Discovery, and Earthbound so maybe at June.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 4th, 2020, 2:26 pm

The original Zelda had a 2nd quest too, although it had a lot of differences compared to the 1st quest, and it was harder.

I haven't played Ancient Stone Tablets, so I might give it a try.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 4th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Yea I did beat A Link to the Past so will review that soon, but like the Legend of Zelda review I wanna compare it to the BS remake.

I started Twilight Princess on Jan 11th, so I really gotta get around to it. I am enjoying it though. I just got distracted. It had a very rough start but when I reached the Goron Mines it really picked up.

I noticed that what is considered the best Zelda is the first one people played, which I can't stand. Twilight Princess seems to be the ones for YouTube fans now.

A Link to the Past is the first Zelda I've played, but so far I'd say Minish Cap was better. This is because in A Link to the Past the Ice Palace was complete garbage. I've heard that the GBA remake does a few improvements over that dungeon, so I will play that one to compare it when I do my ranked Zelda video.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 4th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Two dislikes in one day in my more recent videos. I think I have my first hater <3

Either that or they disliked because I complained about one thing in those videos (even if I enjoyed those 2 games)

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 4th, 2020, 6:12 pm

Earthbound! The Undertale before Undertale, but way better! (*insert grumble about how Undertale calls you an asshole at the end of the game for playing the game how games are usually played, with no warning*)

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 4th, 2020, 6:26 pm

I might as well ask here. I've beaten Doom and Sigil, as well as the 2016 alternate E1M8 mission. I've learned that there are TONS of mods for this. I think I'll explore a few to see how they are. Any essentials? I will get Extreme Weapon Pack, Brutal Doom, and Origwad for sure. I don't wanna play too many though because that might have to be a separate video.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 5th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 1:12 pm
I did try the first episode of Ancient Stone Tablets, which is BS zelda but for a Link to the Past. That one seems to calm down on the messages, and if you have time to spare you can play some minigames. The dungeon design is slightly better, but the flaw is that there are a lot of hidden rooms... but you can see where those rooms are when you get a map, so making them hidden was so pointless.
I played the first episode of Ancient Stone Tablets. I'm not sure if I'll play more, but so far I prefer the original. It's hard to do a fair comparison, because in the original, the later dungeons were better than the earlier dungeons.

One thing that bothered me was the non-bombable walls. Some walls looked bombable, but weren't. Later I bombed those exact same walls again, and it worked (after I saw a message about bombing walls). I think that's bad design.

I noticed that the pegasus boots work differently in this game. I wouldn't call it a flaw, but I guess it'll take time to get used to it.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 6th, 2020, 12:00 am

Marvelous, very nice vid PH. Glad you got that one done. I know you know I enjoy the game as well.

in other news, I GOT TERROR FOAMING LET'S BOOGIE

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 9th, 2020, 5:05 am

I started playing Super Mario RPG. So far it's ok, but it seems very underwhelming compared to Chrono Trigger (the previous RPG that I played). I think I probably won't finish it.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 9th, 2020, 7:56 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 5:05 am
I started playing Super Mario RPG. So far it's ok, but it seems very underwhelming compared to Chrono Trigger (the previous RPG that I played). I think I probably won't finish it.
Liked that way back, but of course it can't compete with one of the best SNES JRPGs. It was meant as an entry-level RPG that would introduce novices/Mario fans to the genre. It's nice for what it is, but a bit unfair to make direct comparisons to Square's better/best work :)

After 120 hours of adrenaline-heavy Astral Chain (and finally beating the final final boss), I went for something softer and started Ni no Kuni. Art style is amazing (especially if you like the Ghibli stuff), I feel it was a good choice.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 9th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 7:56 am
Liked that way back, but of course it can't compete with one of the best SNES JRPGs. It was meant as an entry-level RPG that would introduce novices/Mario fans to the genre. It's nice for what it is, but a bit unfair to make direct comparisons to Square's better/best work :)
My first RPG was Paper Mario, and I liked it more than Super Mario RPG. But I'm not really a fan of turn-based fighting. I prefer the fighting system from A Link to the Past.

I've also tried Final Fantasy VI, Secret of Mana, and Terranigma (I played each for about an hour). I liked Final Fantasy VI, so I might finish it someday. I didn't like Secret of Mana or Terranigma. I thought I might like them because they don't have turn-based fighting, but they had too many flaws.

I haven't tried Earthbound yet, so maybe I'll give it a try. Are there any other highly regarded JRPGs from that era that I'm forgetting?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 9th, 2020, 4:22 pm

mjf314 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 3:57 pm
My first RPG was Paper Mario, and I liked it more than Super Mario RPG. But I'm not really a fan of turn-based fighting. I prefer the fighting system from A Link to the Past.
I'm the other way around I guess. I prefer the turn-based approach, though I can also enjoy an action RPG.
I guess you have to see Mario RPG in the light of that time. It was made for Europe (especially) and the USA (somewhat), regions that had almost no turn-based RPGs whereas they were all the rage in Japan. Of course they tried to introduce us to the genre, and what better way to do it then through Mario. That's why it feels quite elementary.
mjf314 wrote:
I've also tried Final Fantasy VI, Secret of Mana, and Terranigma (I played each for about an hour). I liked Final Fantasy VI, so I might finish it someday. I didn't like Secret of Mana or Terranigma. I thought I might like them because they don't have turn-based fighting, but they had too many flaws.
Hmmm, surprised you didn't like Mana then. I thought it was a very big step up from Zelda back then, which was just about finding hearts and new tools that would open up other areas of the map, whereas Mana had HP, stats, levelling up and all of that. From that era though, FFVI is the one I ended up liking the most. Mostly because it had so many secrets (like extra characters, new areas to explore, different tactical approaches etc etc). Terranigma never really did it for me, the similar one they made specifically for the West was worse though (forgot its name).
mjf314 wrote:
I haven't tried Earthbound yet, so maybe I'll give it a try. Are there any other highly regarded JRPGs from that era that I'm forgetting?
Earthbound is weird. The battle system is basic, it's the comedy that sells the game.
As for other big names, you also had Breath of Fire II (quite hardcore), Tales of Phantasia (loved that one and that franchise is still going), Romancing SaGa 3 (if you can handle that) and of course Dragon Quest. From those, I think Tales of Phantasia (because of its mix of action/turn-based) might be the most interesting for you.

Oh, and Star Ocean, but I never played that. I've played all of these on emulation back then (they simply weren't available here) and that one never ran very well on the old emulators. Also took years before it was translated. You can play it now though, but I prefer more modern games now.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 9th, 2020, 5:12 pm

I didn't like Secret of Mana because you have to be very close to the edge of the screen to get it to scroll. It completely ruined it for me. I don't remember much else about the game. I noticed that there's a hack that fixes the scrolling, so maybe I'll give it a second chance, using the hack.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 9th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Can't say I ever noticed that, then again games were way more basic back then. Stuff like that was much easier to ignore. I still get goosebumps whenever I hear that opening howl though :)

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 9th, 2020, 7:54 pm

I just played Seiken Densetsu 3 (the sequel to Secret of Mana) for about 30 minutes. It's my least favorite JRPG so far. I'm not going to continue.

It doesn't seem to have the scrolling problem, so that's good, but I hate the fighting system. Every time you get close to an enemy, you start walking in slow motion. Every time you swing the sword, you have to wait a second before you can swing again. It feels very laggy and like I don't have enough control over the character.

If I remember correctly, I don't think Secret of Mana had these problems, so maybe I'll like it more (after I apply the scrolling patch).

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 11th, 2020, 4:15 am

I think they're showing Game of Thrones on my tv in Animal Crossing.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 11th, 2020, 12:56 pm

I started playing Majora's Mask.

I gave it a try many years ago, but quit after an hour, so I thought I might give it a second chance.

I don't really like the idea of a timer, but I guess I'll play a little bit more to see if I get used to it. I'm worried I won't be able to take my time and explore. I know there's a song to go back in time, but it seems inconvenient (but I haven't gotten that far in the game yet, so I'm not sure). I was reading about which things get saved, and apparently I have to put money in a bank if I want to keep it, which seems like it'll be annoying.

Does anyone else have thoughts about the timer? Is it annoying, or will I get used to it?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 11th, 2020, 1:06 pm

I gotta replay it but there's a fan theory about the concept it.

SpoilerShow
it shows the inevitability of death and the reactions to it by the townsfolk. The timer has to be there to show how the reaction among the townsfolk changes.

Apparently this deals with the death of Navi.

The skull kid loses his friends, and what happens to him? He starts suffering. He puts a mask on his suffering to hide it with anger.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 11th, 2020, 1:56 pm

mjf314 wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 12:56 pm
I started playing Majora's Mask.

I gave it a try many years ago, but quit after an hour, so I thought I might give it a second chance.

I don't really like the idea of a timer, but I guess I'll play a little bit more to see if I get used to it. I'm worried I won't be able to take my time and explore. I know there's a song to go back in time, but it seems inconvenient (but I haven't gotten that far in the game yet, so I'm not sure). I was reading about which things get saved, and apparently I have to put money in a bank if I want to keep it, which seems like it'll be annoying.

Does anyone else have thoughts about the timer? Is it annoying, or will I get used to it?
I couldn't get used to that. It's the only Zelda I started but never finished. I'm someone who loves to take his time to explore, so this game is counter to what I like. I didn't play for very long (just a couple of hours in), but it just wasn't worth it for me.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 11th, 2020, 7:07 pm

Don't worry, there's plenty of time to explore each area before you have to "reset."

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 13th, 2020, 2:25 am

I’ve been waiting over a week for someone to turn up at my campsite on Animal Crossing, and finally today I had Gigi staying. I had to play a number of card guessing games and lost every one (I think it ended up being around 5) but I was determined to get her. After losing for the fifth time she basically went man you’re desperate to get me here, I’ll talk to resident services. Luckily she wanted to replace a villager I didn’t want so yaas for a new snooty frog. Margie wanted to leave a while ago so I let her go and Nan moved in to replace her but she hasn’t impressed me much.