Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: South Asia (Results), Doubling the Canon (Results), 1950s (May 24th), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

outdoorcats

Re: What game(s) are you playing now?

Post by outdoorcats » April 2nd, 2020, 5:25 am

Not sure how many here are familiar with Celeste, but I just beat this nightmare:

...and it only took me 1099 deaths to do so!

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 2nd, 2020, 5:37 am

I think I got to Chapter 4 and then Mario Maker 2 came out and I couldn't switch between the two platformers at the same time and I've yet to get back to Celeste. I really enjoyed it tho.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 2nd, 2020, 5:49 am

You should definitely complete the base game. It has a fantastic story and is quite moving. There are only 7 chapters so you were more than halfway through. They are also mostly not too difficult, relatively speaking.

Along with Hollow Knight, it's the only game I've attempted speedrunning (against myself). That's how much I've been enjoying replaying it. My best time is 1 hour, 12 minutes and 33 seconds for completing the game, which I'm happy with. (the world record is just under 27 minutes, for comparison)

As to whether you want to attempt the B-sides and C-sides though (like the one in the video above), that's entirely up to how crazy you are. Though I did think Chapter 6's B-side was genuinely fun!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 3rd, 2020, 6:50 pm

mightysparks wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 3:11 am
Lots of stuff happening on Animal Crossing now. These are my current residents:

I've got Paolo and Coach coming in the next couple of days and then I'm full. I'm focusing on decorating my island so KK will come, but it's only 2 stars still. I finally went to my first mystery island that didn't have my native fruit, but it just had the other fruit I already had (pears) :( Bunny Day seems cute, though now resource collecting isn't as effective because there are so many eggs. I'm looking forward to getting the terrain tools and to start planning out my island :circle:
How to role play a virtual vegan in Animal Crossing :D :thumbsup:
https://www.peta.org/features/animal-cr ... ons-vegan/
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 3rd, 2020, 7:55 pm

I'm kind of starting to realize that the n64 might have been a garbage console. Its lineup that matters are only first party games with some stuff made by rare. Maybe like 5-10 more games other than that? It's mostly that awkward time where 3D graphics started and they still stuck with platforming, and combining platforming in an entirely new and ugly perspective just didn't work at all. I barely played my playstation but the lineup for that is astronomical. The Sega Saturn suffers from the same thing, but it seems to have a bigger lineup if you count the Japanese titles, and in terms of 2D graphics they are just stunning to look at.

I thought Brad was trolling here. He is being hyperbolic, but he might be right.

Go to 17:00 to see his comments and the experts saying the saturn is better

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 3rd, 2020, 8:53 pm

mightysparks wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 7:11 am
Just got off my first Alyx session, still adjusting to the real world. It's like getting off a treadmill or rollercoaster or something. I only played about an hour but then my face was getting too squeezed and sweaty so I'm taking a break for a bit. It's awesome, it's so exciting. I was struggling with reloading the gun, but shooting is more fun and taking a look inside corpses, getting bled on by the barnacles and even opening doors is really cool.
In Belgium we have a VR experience where you get a computer in a backpack and you can actually walk around (with a gun of course, shooting at zombies). It's a game you play with 8, all in the same room. It was a pretty intense workout and it only takes a minute or so before you are "in" the game. Loved the experience, haven't had as much luck at home though. Once you lose the freedom of moment, VR gets a lot less exciting imo.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » April 3rd, 2020, 10:20 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 7:55 pm
I'm kind of starting to realize that the n64 might have been a garbage console.
There are about 6 N64 games that most people consider great, including 1 that many consider the best game ever made. I think 6 isn't bad.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Super Mario 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Paper Mario
Mario Kart 64

I'm not sure what you mean about the platforming. Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie are great platformers.

If you're looking for both quality and quantity, I guess SNES has more great games (maybe about 12-15). I don't know how many PlayStation has.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 3rd, 2020, 11:01 pm

Personally, not a fan of Super Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie (unpopular opinion, I know), so not even a question SNES has a much better library of games, including a high number of games I would call some of the best ever made (Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and A Link to the Past in particular). I'm with PH here in that early 3D platformers had a high frustration to enjoyment ratio.

Although PS1 had its share of early platformers too, they seemed to understand the limitations of early 3D and kept producing a high number of great RPGs which stand the test of time better since they don't require super precise controls. Or made horror games (Silent Hill, Resident Evil 1 + 2) which were more about atmosphere. Or stuck to side-scrolling like Castlevania: SoTN but made it control so well that it still holds up today as an example of perfect gameplay. Don't forget Metal Gear Solid either.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 4th, 2020, 12:09 am

Super Mario 64 was my favourite game of all time until I played Portal. Banjo Kazooie is up there too. Also Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Stadium 1&2, Yoshi’s Story, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Diddy King Racing, Conkers Bad Fur Day, possibly others I’m forgetting. I didn’t play a lot of other games tbh but easily my favourite console. I don’t like half as many games for any other console.

Not sure why having party games is a negative when the only thing people care about these days is multiplayer. At least the party games could be played solo, I just have to ignore every multiplayer game.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » April 4th, 2020, 12:17 am

outdoorcats wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 11:01 pm
Personally, not a fan of Super Mario 64
DOES NOT COMPUTE

If you like any of the 3D Mario games then you have no excuse not to like the first one.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 4th, 2020, 2:21 am

But I don't like any of the 3D Mario games. Never liked Mario at all. Never finished a Mario game. I honestly hate the little guy and have since I was a kid. Just not for me, thanks.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 4th, 2020, 2:38 am

All full up now:

Struggling to plant enough flowers for the 5 star rating. I don’t know what they want from me :’( have you had any luck getting other fruit, funky? I’m probably going to have to add some randoms just to steal their fruit.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 4th, 2020, 3:04 am

I got a pear tree.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 4th, 2020, 4:26 am

I just went to someone’s island and grabbed all of the other fruit and planted it on my island. You can visit in a few days when they’re grown and take some if you want.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 4th, 2020, 4:54 am

I'm gonna have so many peach trees

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 4th, 2020, 5:01 am

The person's island was so cool, obviously a time traveler but argh they look so good with the paths and so many flowers. One of my original villagers wanted to move out so I told him to leave lol. Hopefully get someone cooler in..

Do you know which flowers you have? My native ones are roses, and I have mums and lilies for sale at Nook's. Trying to get my paws on all the others.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 4th, 2020, 5:11 am

orange windflowers, red and white hyacinths.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 4th, 2020, 5:14 am

but oh I've got native roses. I'll check my store in a second.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 4th, 2020, 5:45 am

and by "in a second" I meant tomorrow, because those little tanuki children close up shop at 10pm lazy bastards

edit aaaand you can only send someone 2 letters a day.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » April 4th, 2020, 12:42 pm

bough ff vii remake, original is pretty much favourite game since 12

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » April 4th, 2020, 1:30 pm

nimimerkillinen wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 12:42 pm
bough ff vii remake, original is pretty much favourite game since 12
Interested to know what you think of the remake vs original which is available nowadays on all sorts of platforms including smartphones.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 4th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Maybe I should finally play and review the original soon...

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 4th, 2020, 11:23 pm

I've been playing a lot of Burnout Paradise Remastered. Nice way to relax. I'm starting Anthem soon.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 5th, 2020, 9:39 am

I thought I had to get my island to a 5 star rating, but I just hit 3 and KK will be coming to perform soon yay I love KK. Also I feel stupid for not buying the DIY recipes at Nook’s earlier..

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 5th, 2020, 11:52 pm

Pashmina:"If you're into titles, it's gonna be tough to be beat the one that Lauren's got.
Overstuffed Trash!
THAT'S SO COOL! I wish I'd thought it up first. I'd seriously love it if folks called me that.
Leave it to a tourist to show us how it's done, eh?"

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 6th, 2020, 1:47 am

Lol, yeah my villagers tell me how much ‘inexperienced grandma’ really says about you :lol:

I’ve just unlocked the island designer and I recommend saving your miles.. I had 25k and couldn’t afford everything (6k each for water and cliff terraforming, 2k for each path type).

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 6th, 2020, 2:07 am

shit I've only got like 16k. thanks for the heads up

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 6th, 2020, 8:58 am

Another FYI: I knew it cost 50k bells to move a house/building but I didn’t know that you could only move one a day, and you can’t place it where another building already exists. I had wanted to move my Able sisters just like a couple blocks back but couldn’t because it was already there so ya.

I’ve only been placing paths and rearranging furniture and trees, but the island designer tool is super fun. My island is a mess right now though until I can move all the buildings out of my way.. 50k a pop and only one each day means it’s gonna take a while. My island already looks so different and is getting pretty cute.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 6th, 2020, 11:00 am

oh jesus that's gonna take forever. especially now that the tarantula exploit doesn't work. or, not as well as it did.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 6th, 2020, 11:48 am

Us Southern Hemisphere's didn't even get tarantulas in the first place :( I've got about 250k at the moment, but I need 750k in total to move all the other buildings. I've gotten 2 house upgrades but I'm gonna put that on the back burner for now and focus on making my island look cool. I figure if I do some designing and enough grinding to earn 50k each day it shouldn't be too painful. But like, I wanna keep designing NOW and I can't coz everything is in my way.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 7th, 2020, 3:08 am

Joey was very impressed with your nickname. He said Overstuffed Trash gave him a whole new appreciation of you. "What they're capable of..." wtf

also he's got a double-wide bed and you can roll back and forth on it I need one

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 8th, 2020, 2:12 am

All my fruit is fully grown now if you wanna get some. My town is messy since it’s still under construction..

My boyfriend saw Timmy and Tommy scratch their belly at one point and has been obsessed with the belly scratch ever since, saying it has been his favourite part of the game lol (he’s mostly just watched me play every now and then).

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 8th, 2020, 10:05 am

I went through my old diaries to see if I mentioned Animal Crossing..

November 21, 2003
‘Got Animal Crossing. Read the booklet and now it sounds gay. I’ll try it out 2morrow’

November 22, 2003
‘Animal Crossing rules! It’s got ‘great’ effects, but it’s really good. We live in Uranus!’

November 23, 2003
‘Played Animal Crossing all day.’

So much has changed.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 11th, 2020, 7:01 pm

So my Zelda video got 5,500 impressions within 1 day. Seems like it's getting recommended a lot on the homepage. The impressions rate was 1.1% but I didn't know how to make a good thumbnail for it. I think I just improved it.

WTF is the exponential curve slowly starting?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 12th, 2020, 6:59 pm

Seems like this will only give me maybe 2-300 views because the click rate is still 1%, but now it's at 10K impressions. I assume it's so low for something I admittedly I did before too. If I recommended a video that has like 50 views I tend to ignore it. After making these videos I started looking at the smaller videos as well though.

It makes me wonder why did a video of 50 views got such a boost. Did perhaps a sort of human moderator watch it and decided to promote it? I've noticed on the analytics that it was included in the recommended videos section in LGR's latest video. Perhaps that meant he watched the video and because of that it indirectly got to his page?

I know my channel won't be famous, and I don't really care. It's a funny hobby. After seeing this though it might mean that more boosts may come soon. In that case, no matter what I'm sticking with my kitchen job, even if only part-time which I plan to do for the next year anyways. It seems way too volatile to work on youtube and if you have off days it's hard to keep playing games and edit and stuff, and a lack of activity will cause people to leave you. It actually sounds so stressful, and someone who's disabled like me and can't handle stress well, it'll come down to a disaster.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 13th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Youtube boost is over. Got 200 views and 4 subs out of that 2 day boost. Not bad I guess? It ended up being exposed to 11400 people, but again only 1.1% clicked on it.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 16th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Just did a review of an arcade racer. Short and simple

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 18th, 2020, 3:20 am

Still working on Celeste Chapter 9 (..............), but in the meantime finished both Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 for the first time. They definitely deserve their status as classic games IMO, and really are rare examples of auteur-style artistic expression in blockbuster video games.

Overall I'd rank them about equally. There's a tradeoff in that Metal Gear Solid 2 is more experimental and deals with more interesting ideas and themes (it really predicted post-truth politics, fake news and Cambridge Analytica eerily well), but the gameplay/controls are more frustrating and there's no real variety to the setting. Metal Gear Solid 3 has much better gameplay, more interesting boss fights (some of which aren't even fights at all in a traditional sense), a nice variety of locales and is a better paced game by far. But, it's more of a traditional storyline, albeit one done really well and with an excellent ending.

Metal Gear 3 also ups the ante in terms of subtly emergent gameplay, with the game remembering every choice you make and changes the game accordingly. I won't spoil how. But two people describing the game to you might describe completely different scenarios and even storylines, without the game making it obvious you ever made a choice (in re Telltale games, for example). Similarly, many areas and at least one spectacular boss fight are even more of a sandbox than previous Metal Gear games, with tons of different approaches to progress (something I also love about Deus Ex, one of my favorite games).

That one spectacular boss fight. The boss is called "The End" (ironically it's about halfway through the game), he's an ancient master sniper. You have three large areas of dense jungle to play a long and protracted game of cat and mouse with him. There are many ways you can approach the fight, but if you let him sneak up behind you, he'll jumpscare the holy hell out of you, tranquilize you and send you to a prison cell significantly far back in the game (mercifully, if you finally make your way back, he won't have regained his health had you already damaged him - a hard-but-fair trade off IMO). It's scarier than most horror games and it's goddamn awesome. It also kickstarts the much better second half of the game.

Metal Gear Solid 2 by comparison just has more arena style boss fights similar to the first title and some uneven pacing, but when the game...shifts gears...and becomes
SpoilerShow
a Lynchian fucking nightmare
in the final act it elevates the whole game to something jaw dropping. I understand why many didn't like it and prefer 3, but nowadays 2 seems way ahead of its time and brilliant.