Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Crime, Directed by Women, Indian Subcontinent
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

What game(s) are you playing now?

Coryn

Re: What game(s) are you playing now?

Post by Coryn » February 16th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Currently playing Halo Reach on PC. Can't wait for Halo 3 to come to pc as the nostalgia will hit with that one.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 18th, 2020, 2:02 am

I started learning JavaScript recently, and I made this game: https://traveling-salesman.mjf314.repl.co/

The goal is to visit every point, then return to the starting point.
To get a good score, find the shortest route as fast as possible.

The game also keeps track of your average score.
Each time you win, there's a URL to replay the game (with the same set of points), so you can challenge your friends to beat your score, or challenge them to an X-game match.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 18th, 2020, 2:09 am

Pretty neat. I tried it with 15 points and did a few games, best score so far was 1284. I can't click very fast because of my RSI though (and my hand shakes trying to click on exact points).
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 18th, 2020, 2:14 am

mightysparks wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 2:09 am
Pretty neat. I tried it with 15 points and did a few games, best score so far was 1284. I can't click very fast because of my RSI though (and my hand shakes trying to click on exact points).
It doesn't have to be exact, if you click close to a point then it counts.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 18th, 2020, 2:30 am

mjf314 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 2:14 am
mightysparks wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 2:09 am
It doesn't have to be exact, if you click close to a point then it counts.
Ah, that's cool. Still a bit difficult for me but can relax my hand a little more now.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 19th, 2020, 5:15 pm

I have a sega saturn now

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » February 19th, 2020, 10:57 pm

I have been living in short term housing recently and don't have most of my stuff, so I've been playing games mostly on Nintendo switch. Last week I picked up the re-release of Gyakuten Saiban/Phoenix Wright trilogy and playing through it again, albeit slowly, in Japanese.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 22nd, 2020, 12:05 am

anyone else win the latest Tetris99 tournament thing?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 22nd, 2020, 12:49 am

I don’t have online anymore so haven’t played in ages :( I’m thinking about getting it again when Animal Crossing comes out though.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 22nd, 2020, 2:02 am

it was pretty fun. seemed a bit more competitive than usual play.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 22nd, 2020, 7:23 am

I've been playing Fallout 3 lately. I got quite far in it years ago, got up to the part a little after you find your dad, but then I was too weak/stupid to progress further. I've started a few games since and never got very far. But went to play it again last week and none of my save files were there so I started again. I'm still pretty terrible at it, but I'm enjoying it. Hoping to actually finish it this time. I've been doing side missions and exploring/looting mostly, so I haven't gotten to my father yet. I'm definitely less scared of the game now (I was pretty terrified of even the radroaches before) but now I just run up to everything with no hesitation to give it a whack with my sledgehammer.

My bf and I have also been playing Luigi's Mansion 3 together the last few days. We got up to rescuing Toad last night. I don't remember the first one that well now, I liked it a lot but never finished it. I think the co-op stuff works pretty well, and he actually gets stuff to do (Gooigi exclusive parts, but can help out generally as well). The game is pretty easy, health and money is really easy to get but that doesn't matter coz I'm mostly interested in just exploring the locations and smacking a ghost around every now and then.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 28th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Nearly done with Luigi's Mansion, we have about 3 floors left. It's a little buggy and frustrating at times, but mostly fun. The environmental interaction is cool and it's fun to explore each floor's theme. I HATED the B2 floor, controlling that rubber ducky float was the most annoying thing ever.

I am really excited for Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and ended up watching a few vids on Youtube for it. I haven't done that for any game since Sims 2. I'm generally unable to watch trailers or game reviews (unless they're all text) as it causes me pain, but the [30 minute long] 'trailer' for AC was quite fun and cute and actually highlighted all the features of the game effectively. I dug out my 3DS so I could play AC: A New Leaf while I wait for March 20.

And.. I bought a year subscription to Switch Online last night. I woke up annoyingly early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, but turned out to be for the best as I got an email with an unknown sign-in on my Nintendo account from America, so within a couple of minutes I had my password changed, signed out all devices and set up extra security. That's the second time I've ever been hacked, really annoying and I'm hoping they didn't get enough time to do any damage. I had to change my password on a few other sites that used the same password, so good luck remembering all the new ones.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 29th, 2020, 12:06 am

Fallout 3 is what I've called my favorite game for a while. I don't know if that would still hold up now, but on my first playthrough it was the most powerful, immersive and addictive game experience I had played at that point. Partly because it was my first real open-world game and that seemed like a pretty mindblowing idea at the time.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 9th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Doing a review today but should mention that the original Zelda review is gonna take a while. Adding some extra stuff to it and am only halfway done.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 9th, 2020, 7:07 pm

If you guys wanna see a fucking awesome game

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 20th, 2020, 1:31 am

Just picked up Animal Crossing: New Horizons :circle: I got there 5 mins before it opened and there were so many zombie girls hanging around the entrance lol. I've never seen so many women at EB Games. Installing the update and then gonna enjoy my tuition free week.

The game gifted me with oranges and an orange airport. It’s like it knew it was my least favourite colour :angry:

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » March 20th, 2020, 3:00 am

@PH - That is an interesting looking game. I believe the official term for when you get stuck in a loop of hits is "stunlocked" (which is sometimes built into games deliberately, f.e. Don't Starve).

Your videos are looking and sounding awesome as well! One tip I'd still have to make them yet better would be to avoid repeating the same phrases too much (for example, "you can even...")

@mightysparks: Is that sort of like Harvest Moon? I've heard a lot about it yet still don't really know what it's about.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 20th, 2020, 3:04 am

I do that way too much lol thanks for the advice. I'll do my best to avoid it in the future. I'll also try to make a review tomorrow.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » March 20th, 2020, 3:23 am

Do you write your reviews down and read from a script or just wing it?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 20th, 2020, 4:46 am

@OD. I haven’t played much of Harvest Moon, but it’s kind of a more sandbox casual version of it. It’s less about farming and there are less RPG elements. You roam around your island, collect stuff, talk to and help the locals, collect furniture for your house etc. I’ve been playing the games on and off for 17 years or so and they are just cute and cozy and nice.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 20th, 2020, 5:14 am

mightysparks wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 4:46 am
@OD. I haven’t played much of Harvest Moon, but it’s kind of a more sandbox casual version of it. It’s less about farming and there are less RPG elements. You roam around your island, collect stuff, talk to and help the locals, collect furniture for your house etc. I’ve been playing the games on and off for 17 years or so and they are just cute and cozy and nice.
On a similar note, have you tried Stardew Valley? I seem to recall this coming up before but do not remember the answer.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 20th, 2020, 5:24 am

Yea, I’ve played it a bit but haven’t gotten too far with it. If I play it, I lose like a whole day so I have to pick my play time carefully lol.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 20th, 2020, 8:18 am

outdoorcats wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 3:23 am
Do you write your reviews down and read from a script or just wing it?
I use a script

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 20th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Kind of a clickbait title, but how else will I get views?

I did find myself repeating "as well" twice in a row, and starting some sentences began with "still", but I feel like I am slowly improving in that regard.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 20th, 2020, 8:19 pm

that review just kept getting better. and then outta nowhere you dropped THE FUNKY BEATS

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 20th, 2020, 8:35 pm

I'm glad that you talked about the manual. The manual was great imo, and really contributed to my enjoyment of the game. The game also came with a map, where screens far away from the origin were blank. Have you seen it?

The 2nd Zelda game isn't as good as the 1st or 3rd, but it's still a great game imo. I'd recommend it to anyone who's a Zelda fan.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 22nd, 2020, 11:03 am

Did you never play the original Zelda before?

Personally when I was a kid I played the hell out of that and found all the secrets by exhaustive exploration, trying to move every rock and bombing every square on the map. Actually the same can be said for Super Mario I guess. Once I figured out there were invisible blocks and warp zones, I just jumped everywhere on every screen until I found them all.

Agreed that the second Zelda was not as good. Link to the Past was the next one that was truly revolutionary.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 22nd, 2020, 2:47 pm

Nah I was born too late for the NES era. This was my first time.

A link to the past is indeed amazing but there is one complaint that I'll mention in the upcoming review. There is a satellaview link to the past game as well so I'm playing that now.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 22nd, 2020, 5:03 pm

Zelda was the second game I ever played (Mario being the first). It took me 30 minutes before I realized I had to go into the black square and get a sword to defeat enemies :D I was 6, no formal knowledge of English and was still swaying with my controller whenever I wanted my character to do anything.

Thought about that quite a bit when I was playing Breath of the Wild a few years ago. Crazy how quickly games evolved.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 26th, 2020, 12:02 am

I HAVE TO WAIT TIL TOMORROW FOR BLATHERS!?! jfc

there's a shiny on the beach and I wanna dig it up! now! not tomorrow!!

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 26th, 2020, 12:12 am

Yea, there's a lot of waiting early game lol. I have the resident services thing under construction today, but I think that's the last thing I gotta wait for. Should start stocking up on wood from trees coz you're gonna need a lot. I've been enjoying the game so far, but I miss doing tasks for the villagers and I don't know if that's going to come back. Aside from collecting stuff for the museum, that was my favourite aspect of the game :(

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 26th, 2020, 12:15 am

got stung by a wasp and I look like an idiot

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 26th, 2020, 12:18 am

don't mind me, Tommy, I'm just runnin' around with an axe and a creepy smile and one dead eye.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 26th, 2020, 12:29 am

"I wish I had some medicine to give you, but I didn't wanna mess up my aerodynamics, so I didn't bring any..."

Rowan, you're a tiger.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 26th, 2020, 12:47 am

Lol. Who else did you start with? And what fruit? I got Tammy and Mac, and started with oranges.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 26th, 2020, 12:51 am

Rowan, Pashmina, Oranges, yellow airport.

Pashmina said my dead eye looked creepy so she's not getting a Christmas card this year.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 26th, 2020, 3:52 am

just swung my flimsy axe at a rock and it spit out 1500 bells

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 26th, 2020, 4:01 am

I went out and bought lockdown supplies, along with a copy of Animal Crossing New Horizons, or あつまれどうぶつの森 as it's called here. The only word that exists in both Japanese and English titles is "animal".

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 26th, 2020, 4:02 am

I caught a shark this morning worth 15k bells (had already donated one to the museum). I paid for another house upgrade last night (got a second room now aw yea) so I needed the bell injection. I’m trying to catch the rest of the sharks before March is over coz we won’t be seeing them in these parts until December.