Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 18th, 2019, 12:26 am

I noticed that my click through rate (the rate where people who stumble upon your thumbnails click on your videos) went down drastically. It could be 3 things: 1) shitty title (can't really improve that), 2) they are not seeing it because of the small view count (nothing I could do), and 3) shitty thumbnails.

I figured that I could at least improve on the 3rd option. It took me almost 4 hours, but I managed to redo all of my thumbnails and they look a lot more professional. They also have a consistency with them as well. You can see how it looks like with the above link now.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on October 18th, 2019, 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 18th, 2019, 1:12 am

Doing much better it seems than the IHNMBIMS video

my random youtube stats look like this
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 18th, 2019, 1:21 am

May I ask what your youtube channel is (you can PM it to me if you wish to keep it private)? My click-through rate was at 3.7 so I knew that I needed improvements.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 18th, 2019, 1:34 am

Sure
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChg-zu ... W5MNG-Zkbg
But youre not gonna derive anything from it. It's just random stuff. Some with 1 view and I even know who clicked it, you'd never manage that!
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 18th, 2019, 1:42 am

Oh so it was you who made those comments lol

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 18th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth does suffer from some minor technical bugs on the xbox (I heard the gog version is good but that steam is unplayable), but it's amazing. I don't know if I can finish the game though. I'm bad with horror games and this is absolutely terrifying. I only just reached the first point where people try to kill you. The creatures didn't even come in yet. It's funny because people praise Amnesia and Outlast for using some gameplay mechanics that this already used years ago.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 20th, 2019, 11:15 pm

Thinking of (partially) showing my face for my reviews if I can't think of any good enough relevant footage. Maybe have a mask like this? It'll certainly make me stand out.

SpoilerShow

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 21st, 2019, 11:52 am

I want to get back into gaming but goddamn it, I suck. Either I get to a point that is just too hard and I can't get past it, or I get too scared to play. I decided I wanted to get better at stealthing, so I decided to give Dishonored another go. When the kid wanted to play hide and seek I got a wave of anxiety and panic and wanted to quit. I managed to get to the point where I was escaping the prison but couldn't handle it anymore. I don't know why I freak out so much playing games. I thought getting scared by the police guys with the batons in Half-Life 2 was bad but getting scared about having to play hide and seek with a kid is just pathetic.

I don't know how to not be an idiot :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 21st, 2019, 4:44 pm

Found a goldmine thanks to a pm someone sent me (and there's access to tons of older games on archive now). Are there any essentials of games that are playable on windows 3.1? I have this list so far

The Daedalus Encouter
Burn Cycle
Ripper
Riana Rouge
Angel Devoid: Face of the Enemy
Lands of Lore
Beneath a Steel Sky
The Need for Speed
The Dame was Loaded
Ecstatica
Lighthouse: The Dark Being
Voyeur
Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » October 21st, 2019, 5:19 pm

hehe

Have you ever heard of TOSEC Apathy ?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 21st, 2019, 11:49 pm

Tim2460 wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 5:19 pm
hehe

Not really a fan of emulators, at least for my reviews. I do pirate stuff, and use emulators for fun, but using them for youtube reviews just feels a bit too immoral to me. I will make an exception for stuff on archive.org though, because the stuff there are legal.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 22nd, 2019, 12:49 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 11:49 pm
Tim2460 wrote:
hehe

Not really a fan of emulators, at least for my reviews. I do pirate stuff, and use emulators for fun, but using them for youtube reviews just feels a bit too immoral to me. I will make an exception for stuff on archive.org though, because the stuff there are legal.
You think the creators will get any money if you buy a 20+ year old game? :unsure:
:rip:
But it's fascinating to see morality brought up. For such trivial things.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 22nd, 2019, 12:53 am

Armoreska wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 12:49 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Tim2460 wrote:
hehe

You think the creators will get any money if you buy a 20+ year old game? :unsure:
:rip:
But it's fascinating to see morality brought up. For such trivial things.
It would just feel weird if on the off chance I make money off of this from pirated things. I assume gog and steam have to get permission from the developers or at least the distributors before they can release their games, so I guess in that case it does support them? You do have a point for stuff like ebay though.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » October 22nd, 2019, 5:55 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Tim2460 wrote:
hehe

Hmmm so you're good to go :
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Tosec

:whistling: :whistling:

albajos

Post by albajos » October 22nd, 2019, 8:33 am

Playing Final Fantasy XV. Of course the servers are closed so I will not be able to 100% it (I have done the base game and royal pack so far)

They even released Multiplayer as a standalone gane afterwards, But with a new set of trophies, The whole thing is a mess. Worst case scenario I'll end up with two unfinished games instead of one.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » October 28th, 2019, 1:06 am

Do the pc gamers of icmforum have a strong opinion towards service exclusivity? What do you think of the Epic debacle?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 28th, 2019, 4:09 pm

tirefeet wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 1:06 am
Do the pc gamers of icmforum have a strong opinion towards service exclusivity? What do you think of the Epic debacle?
Not a strong opinion of it, but I do think that some of the hate can be exaggerated. It's not as bad as let's say netflix and amazon prime, where you have to pay for a subscription service to access their stuff. However, that is happening soon with stuff like xbox game pass and playstation now. If it's free platforms then it's just a minor annoyance of having all of these programs installed.

Only one thing related to this pissed me off. I bought the King's Quest series on GOG. I found out that there was a remake made a few years ago, and it's on steam. However, if you want the final episode of the remake, you have to purchase the older series on steam to get it. That is just absolute horseshit. I'll buy the remake on the PS4 instead of steam because of this.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 1st, 2019, 1:35 am

This channel looks fantastic and I usually don't watch streamers. Maybe because he's already a well-established comedian.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 4th, 2019, 6:24 pm

I think I gotta play Death Stranding after seeing the reviews.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 6th, 2019, 6:59 am

My boyfriend finished playing The Outer Worlds the other day. He said it's the best game he's played all year and he loved it (we found it amusing that while I was watching the best thing I'd seen all year (Preacher) he was playing the best thing he's played all year). I started playing it last night but my RSI is playing up a little so I didn't get very far but I liked what I saw. The dialogue is fun and the way the quests seem to weave together feels more natural than most games. Bf said the game is pretty easy (he always plays on super hardcore gamer mode) but it's not really about combat, which means it's probably more up my alley.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 10th, 2019, 2:00 am

Have no idea what to think of Death Stranding so far, but one level was so stressful that I seriously thought I was gonna faint. Gotta give it kudos for making a hiking simulator that intense.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » November 11th, 2019, 8:25 am

Picked up Uplink (2001) and TIS-100 (2015) from Steam yesterday evening, 80 and 50 percent off respectively.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » November 11th, 2019, 9:25 am

Is really nobody here into league of legends?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » November 11th, 2019, 10:36 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 2:00 am
Have no idea what to think of Death Stranding so far, but one level was so stressful that I seriously thought I was gonna faint. Gotta give it kudos for making a hiking simulator that intense.
well well looks who is playing a triple A game day one ;) anyway since it is getting rave reviews from critics but rather tepid ones on the players side I am curious to hear how fun and groundbreaking it really is
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » November 11th, 2019, 10:38 am

I am currently enamored with the indie devs that go by Zachtronics which I found out about yesterday and now reading a term paper by one of their members: http://thesiteformerlyknownas.zachtroni ... ontent.pdf

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 11th, 2019, 12:51 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 10:36 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
well well looks who is playing a triple A game day one ;) anyway since it is getting rave reviews from critics but rather tepid ones on the players side I am curious to hear how fun and groundbreaking it really is
I never do this with new games but had to after seeing the reviews and comparisons to Tarkovsky.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » November 11th, 2019, 3:44 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 12:51 pm
hurluberlu wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
I never do this with new games but had to after seeing the reviews and comparisons to Tarkovsky.
I dont blame you, it looks very much like my type of game too and its cinematic appeal is (l) but whether it is fun to play is the last thing holding me
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 11th, 2019, 3:50 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 3:44 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 12:51 pm
hurluberlu wrote:

I dont blame you, it looks very much like my type of game too and its cinematic appeal is (l) but whether it is fun to play is the last thing holding me
I did start an fmv game and am doing a long term project at the same time, but I will make a youtube review of death stranding eventually. Hopefully that will help you decide

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 12th, 2019, 2:02 am

I got "Getting Over It with Bennet Foddy" on sale on Steam today, played it for several hours and I actually find it to be...exhilarating and fun? Is something wrong with me? This all despite the fact that after hours of playing I left off, you guessed it, right back at the beginning of the game.

(Markiplier didn't have as fun a time...and if he apparently eventually beat it, so can I ;) )

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 14th, 2019, 7:33 pm

I'm playing what just might be the worst game of all time. If I can't find a way to skip cutscenes I'm just going to review it as is. Trust me, it's not worth finishing if I can't skip cutscenes.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 18th, 2019, 2:33 am

I reviewed a tech-noir to celebrate noirvember

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » November 18th, 2019, 1:42 pm

There's a Blade Runner game btw
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 18th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Yea I saw that. There's also ripper, tex murphy, la noire, and max payne for noirvember. I'll try to fit one more in.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 19th, 2019, 12:09 am

We were playing Mario Party last night and discovered a new mode called Partner Party so you play 2v2, and there’s different boards and mini games and things like that. It was really cool and a nice change from the pretty repetitive regular board. There’s actually quite a few things to unlock in the game.

And in non video gaming, we bought a Texas Hold Em set and some UNO cards; my boyfriend has time off so we’ve been playing a bunch of stuff together. I wish we had at least a third person, but I used to love board and card games as a kid and no one ever wanted to play with me. They’re never as fun to play against a computer or online, so I’m happy to be able to play them again. I’m not great at poker coz I hate gambling but everyone in my family has been addicted to it at some point.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 20th, 2019, 12:35 am

bought a new game for the Switch; Farm Together. We didn’t realize to play local co-op we needed two controllers so we had to go buy a second one; $110 for the controllers and another $40 for the controller dock. Ridiculous. Anyway, the game is a super casual and chill farming game. There is a harder mode but idk what it does. Crops don’t die, and take anywhere from 10 minutes to a few days to grow. You can decorate and expand your farm and unlock new crops and animals and buildings. Seasons change every 17 minutes and affect which crops you can grow and some different effects on crops. It can get pretty tight on money, but it makes the grind more fun. I wish there were more quests at one time but maybe at a higher level there will be more. I had to go to work after a few hours of playing and I kept getting messages from my boyfriend asking how long I would be coz he wanted to farm lol.

I wanted to buy Sword/Shield and Luigi’s Mansion 3 but I’m going to save them as gifts for when I finish this semester otherwise I’m not gonna be able to squeeze in homework, iCMFF and playing 3+ different games in the next 2 weeks...

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » November 21st, 2019, 12:36 am

It happened
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 27th, 2019, 12:39 am

We bought a few more co-op Switch games. A few were too hard on my hands or just too hectic but we grabbed Overcooked on special and it’s frickin amazing. We’ve been playing it over a few days and got to the boss level last night but couldn’t win. It’s a great cooperative game, every level is unique and requires a different strategy. We found that telling each other what we’re doing or in some cases, what we’re sending over to the other, was the most effective way, as well as discussing potential strategies if we do badly the first time. It requires good teamwork and communication and focus. It’s not hard on my hands at all and I can play just fine for hours which is awesome. It’s so much fun and I highly recommend if you have a cool IRL person to play with. There’s some extra stuff after the campaign too which I can’t wait for and we plan to buy the sequel and DLC too once we’re done. I’m a bit addicted and keep playing imaginary games in my head which is annoying, I used to do that with Spider Solitaire too.

We’ve also been playing Farm Together still, we go on once a day and harvest everything and plant 1 day crops as it’s the most effective money making method. Once we run out of money again we leave it for a day. We unlocked all the characters in Super Mario Party and just have 2 more paths of River Survival left but taking a break from that. And daily games of Trivial Pursuit. I don’t win every game but I’m pretty good and often come first all game until the last round. My boyfriend comes last most games coz he’s a noob. His favourite category is the Science one since he knows the tech questions but I’m good with the actual science questions and Entertainment is obviously my favourite. Sport is the worst thing ever, every question is like another language.

Really like the Switch, and I’m looking forward to getting Shield and Luigi’s Mansion 3 at the end of semester and Animal Crossing next year. I wish they’d remake Super Mario Sunshine and I’d be set for life.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 28th, 2019, 1:09 am

A suitable ending to noirvember