Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

Minkin

Re: What game(s) are you playing now?

Post by Minkin » May 1st, 2019, 1:57 pm

It was actually this video which got me addicted a 2nd time (nostalgia hits every like ~15 years anyway; I played from 2001 - 2004):

Seems weird that the game still lives on / is incredibly popular after all these years. I saw a documentary on RS and they were talking about all these "historical events" that I remembered happening - like when someone broke into the code and figured out how to duplicate stuff and dropped them everywhere (I ended up with three party hats that day); or when a couple who met on RS got married on RS and there was a big pink skirt parade and Andrew Gower officiated the ceremony. Or telling Zezima to go fuck himself and beating them at the scoreboards (despite my prior complaint, woodcutting was my favorite - I guess it came with being from Oregon; although thieving was a close 2nd!). Or the Runescape forums I used to frequent, one of which (Runevillage) was run by a sex offender, which quickly lead to its death. Which reminds me that I wrote the very first guide for Legend's Quest - the day it came out (despite not having done it myself) - as I was hanging out on that island and asking all the high level players the order of operations for the quest. That was a super short lived fame.

It was all part of middle school and survival. As during that time, I was being bullied at school for being queer, so Runescape provided a safe social setting and really helped keep me going. So, I don't fault it or anyone who did/still uses it - I think its fantastic, but my nostalgia has already worn off for now (until another 15 years pass).

And that wiki page was super adorable! some of those enemies / bosses really are terrifying. but not as bad as the Wilderness. I hated everytime I ever had to venture there (I don't think I ever "PK'd" anyone in my life)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 1st, 2019, 2:10 pm

I’m glad someone else remembers my hero Zezima :lol: I remember before the grand exchange came out I was too shy to be able to haggle in varrock square so my brother had to go on my account and buy and sell everything for me. GE was such a blessing. I was in my first year of highschool but hated it and had dropped out to do homeschool, and played RS the whole year. It is weird that it’s remained so popular but my bro and I have always agreed that it’s the best MMO especially because of it’s variety and unique grind. I’m not a fan of combat in any game so I really like having so many non combat related skills that I can mess around with. I’m still a scaredy cat with fighting stuff though lol.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 1st, 2019, 2:19 pm

Also I think I might’ve mentioned this before but prior to signing up with RS I was using the username ‘Sparks’. It was already taken on RS so I added mighty and it’s been that way since.

And I noticed the last time I updated that wiki was a couple weeks before I joined icm :think:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Minkin

Post by Minkin » May 1st, 2019, 4:23 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 2:10 pm
I’m glad someone else remembers my hero Zezima :lol: I remember before the grand exchange came out I was too shy to be able to haggle in varrock square so my brother had to go on my account and buy and sell everything for me. GE was such a blessing. I was in my first year of highschool but hated it and had dropped out to do homeschool, and played RS the whole year. It is weird that it’s remained so popular but my bro and I have always agreed that it’s the best MMO especially because of it’s variety and unique grind. I’m not a fan of combat in any game so I really like having so many non combat related skills that I can mess around with. I’m still a scaredy cat with fighting stuff though lol.
Oh God, that Varrock marketplace. I still remember the "press 777777777 for Dragon Helm, 2.5mil" and then you had to try and figure out where the person was, among about 100 other people doing the same thing. Though adding the ~~~~~~~rainbow shimmer wave effect~~~~~~~ to your text really helped set you apart. There were also the people who would offer cyber sex, which is hilariously horrifying in retrospect. And somehow it seemed that nobody get banned. Oh and everybody used bots. All the high level accounts used them. I remember the first bot purge and the outcry that resulted. Then RS2 came out, leaving RS1 as some libertarian nightmare of bots and who knows what.

I discovered Runescape because some kid at my middle school had a RS hat, and I asked them about it. They must've been one of the earliest members, and they had already quit by the time I joined like a week later. RS didn't even have merch back then - turns out they had the hat custom made. I still don't understand. Never knew anyone who played it back then; but later in life I keep running across people who also played it back in the day. An oddly large number of people had their RS phase of their life.

I haven't logged into my account since probably 2004, if it even still exists. I gave away most of my stuff to RS friends; or I remember exchanging a Dragon Helm for some commissioned artwork. Those were different times. I never played another MMO or online game after this - as I was properly addicted for several years. Like, I would get super upset when I had to get dinner; or do anything other than play RS. But it was my social life + those leaderboards really kept one motivated!

Actually, I just remembered that I was part of some "clan" - or group of fellow players who would hangout every now and then. It was an all-Dutch group (Knights of the Square Table - I still often wonder if there's any former members now here), and somehow they let me in because they needed a woodcutting person. They never did anything, and I never saw the one member with 99 smithing, which was unbelievable back then.

Sorry, I have too many memories flooding back to me now. Like the first time I came out was to an RS friend (bullying was because they correctly suspected I was queer).

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 14th, 2019, 1:25 am

My latest bipolar purchase a few months ago was an xbox 360 and around 80 games from kijiji. I ended up even getting a kinect and a game for $25. The kinect is probably the dumbest gimmick I've seen for video games (except maybe the powerglove), but it's honestly dumb fun. I've been doing 5-10 minute segments of Kinect Adventures for the past while.
Last edited by XxXApathy420XxX on May 20th, 2019, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 14th, 2019, 3:39 am

It was hilarious to watch my friend trying to use the voice operated stuff with kinect.

Friend: XBOX START NETFLIX
Xbox: <turns off>

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 16th, 2019, 5:59 pm

When I was 14-15, I was actually a paid video game reviewer. The website is course down, but it was called game-era. Apparently I actually had a quite a bit of talent when it comes to that, especially for my age.

Decided to try it again as a hobby. I'm incredibly rusty when it comes to writing, and couldn't make a good conclusion, but I should get better soon. I also haven't played this game in quite a while, so it's all from recollection as opposed to fresh memory. I'll write one review a day I guess, and I'll make it the games I've just beaten or am currently playing. I wrote a review of my favourite game Severance: Blade of Darkness:

To this day, it seems that this game is finally receiving the recognition it deserves by having a cult following mostly due to its sale on gog (unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on sale there anymore). I believe this fits the criteria of becoming a hidden gem, and deserves to eventually be considered a classic.

This game reminds me of the Souls series. Both are known for their extreme difficulty when it comes to combat. One mistake could easily mean death. However, I find this game to be even more complex than the Souls trilogy, even though it was released 8 years before.

The complexity comes from the combat system. On top of the regular hack and slash commands, you have advanced combos reminiscent of fighting games. The damage system of the game is where it shines. There is a dismemberment system similar to Dead Space. This is what makes the game incredibly intense. It emphasizes the danger involved with swordplay. One false move, and not only will your health be deteriorated, but you may even lose your hand that's holding the sword. At that point, you're simply screwed. Of course, you can dismember the enemies too in the same way. Because of this, the combat is intense, frantic, and risky. It is simply the most intense experience I've had playing a video game.

There is also a variety of playing styles. Not only do you have a decent array of weapons with different fighting styles, but you also have four characters to choose from. Each character has their own pros and cons, and can provide replay value due to its variety.

There are a few minor flaws. However, I have not incorporated them into my score, as it is simply the flaws of the time. The jumping animation can be quite awkward, but I find that you rarely need to do so. The graphics, although decent when you consider when it was made, did not age that well. However, there is a mod available through a quick google search that makes the game almost gorgeous.

In short, this cult classic is a MUST if you enjoy the Souls series.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 16th, 2019, 10:28 pm

nice write-up. I've not played the Souls series but they look interesting, as does this.

it looks like it's on myabandonware
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/blad ... rkness-455

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 16th, 2019, 11:34 pm

Wrote one throughout the day for another hidden gem: Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. Gave it an 8/10.

Here's the review:
Although this seems like a very light game on the surface, kudos is given to how gutsy it actually is. There are no enemies, no combat system, very light on plot, hard to find out how to fast-travel, and the vast majority of the game consists of fetch quests. However, for the most part I found myself in awe of the game.

The summary of the very light plot is that murk has taken over the lands and you must figure out how to get rid of it. The murk basically is locked areas, or covers landscapes and treasure chests. You use sprites, certain creatures to get rid of it. You need a certain amount to get rid of certain murk, and they can be found throughout the world by either interacting with glowing objects or completing side quests.

The majority of the game is spent doing fetch quests. Even if you are not focusing on a quest, emphasis is placed on picking anything, and everything up. This somehow became addicting to me, but I am the type of gamer that has the urge to pick up everything in video games. If you are that type of gamer, I'm sure you will enjoy this aspect of the game. There are a few other types of gameplay, but I feel like most of them are not utilized well enough. The most in-depth one is crafting. Most of the items you pick up are the basic ones, and you use those to build more complex items. Eventually, you will find guilds to join which will result in you unlocking more objects to craft.

The other types of gameplay consists of fishing and farming. Fishing can be annoying, and felt useless to me, until I realized that certain types of fish become essential to craft a base item near the end of the game. Farming looked like it could have been more in-depth. However, although I had some initial excitement when I went through the farming tutorial, I found myself never farming again.

The best aspect of this game is the world itself. It's quite similar to Breath of the Wild. It's gorgeous to look at, the soundscapes work very well, and there is enough variety through each area that has its own theme. I found myself enthralled whenever I reach a new area and notice how different it is, just like with Breath of the Wild. If you enjoy exploring open ended worlds, I can see you getting a kick out of exploring this one.

However, this game is not without its flaws. Although it's quite rare, you may need to do some platforming. The jumping is VERY awkward, especially if there's something in front of you. You end up getting pushed back. Also, even though the quest and compass navigation helps you quite a bit, you will feel overwhelmed when you're more into the game and realize that you may even have around 20 quests to do. I also felt like the fast travel could be more efficient. I didn't learn how to do so until near the end of the game, and you can only travel through certain points, as opposed to a more varied one. I felt like one should be able to fast travel to every village or town, as travelling to the other side of the map to complete another quest can get tiresome.

I can see most considered the lack of enemies and combat as a flaw. However, I feel like it would be detrimental to this game. This is similar to the farming aspect of Stardew Valley. It's meant to help you relax.

If you enjoy going through gorgeous open-ended worlds, especially one like Breath of the Wild, and just need to relax and walk around after a stressful day, then I highly recommend this game.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 20th, 2019, 8:19 pm

My review of Kinect Adventures, which I gave an honest chance. Gave it 6/10
Kinect Adventures can basically be seen as the competition for Wii Sports. Both are pack-in games that comes with the accessory or console. Both were meant the show off the tech while making it accessible even for non-gamers. This does succeed in the accessibility factor, but does it hold up in being as addicting as Wii Sports?

The bulk of the game comes from the adventure mode. In it you unlock either living statues which you can make recordings with, accessories and clothing for your 360 avatar, or simply achievements for your gamerscore. In it, you try all 5 minigames of various difficulties. The games consist of 20,000 Leaks, River Rush, Rally Ball, Reflex Ridge, and Space Pop.

20,000 leaks is the most humourous of the five games. It's a twist on twister (pun not intended). You are in a glass cube, and fish try to break through it, resulting in holes in the cube. You have to contort your body in various positions to cover up the holes. It's very straightforward and repetitive, but I found myself not being tired of this game mode.

River Rush seems to be the most in-depth mode due to the level designs. You stand on a raft and lean and jump to avoid obstacles, go through markers, and collect pins. The levels can be quite varied which impressed me while playing them. This also seems to be the best game mode, as you are both on the same raft. Teamwork and coordination is of utmost importance in this mode.

Rally Ball is a version of breakout. You smack a ball and get it to hit bricks and power ups. I find that collecting the power ups makes it too chaotic. I find it nearly impossible to work with two balls at once. I also found that it's quite difficult to aim properly when I only had one target left. Still, this was quite fun.

Reflex Ridge is my favourite of the package. You are on a moving platform where you can only control its speed by jumping. During this, you either have to move our body in certain positions to collect pins, or duck, jump, or shift to the sides to avoid obstacles. This was also effective as a workout. I can honestly say that this game made my legs sore the next day.

Space Pop is easily the weakest mode. Bubbles are moving around throughout the room, and you are either flap your arms to fly up, or keep your arms beside your body to shift downwards. You do this to pop as many bubbles as you can by touching them. I find this mode to be the weakest as it seems to have a perception problem. There is a front and back section of the level, but because of how it looks like in the game I found myself going too far forwards and backwards, and the kinect has trouble detecting me. This was also honestly underwhelming as I end up just walking to the sides to pop the bubbles.

There is an option to include another player. However, I find that for the most part the game doesn't accommodate well for two people. The required scores to achieve medals does change, but the environment itself does not. 20,000 Leaks, Rally Ball, and Space Pop become a lot easier as the environment is the same width, meaning that you easily cover more ground. You do not have to move around as much as you have another playing covering one half of the environment. For reflex ridge, you are both split up, and only one player has to achieve the required medal to complete the level. It's basically like having two chances instead of one. As mentioned above, I find that River Rush is a success for two players.

The adventure mode is quite accessible. I find myself getting all the required medals easily. Some Reflex Ridge levels seemed impossible, but those levels were just about collecting as many as you can, with the levels getting progressively easier until you collect the required amount. When I completed the adventure mode, I found myself having no motivation to replay the other game modes, except when showing them off to other people.

Basically, this fails to reach the level of Wii Sports, which is one of my favourite Wii games because of the fact that it is both accessible and addicting. I've noticed that on Amazon the package is on sale for $200. I find this to be absolutely absurd. It is definitely not worth this price tag. However, I managed to find this on the Canadian classified website kijiji on sale for $25. I'd say that was honestly worth it. This is an incredibly dumb gimmick, and I found myself laughing at the absurdity of it, but surprisingly I had fun.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 20th, 2019, 9:48 pm

So I just did the infamous mission of Modern Warfare 2 and wtf.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 21st, 2019, 10:22 pm

You can get the Sims 4 for the low low price of $0 on Origin.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 23rd, 2019, 6:22 pm

My review of Just Cause, which I gave a 4/10:
Just Cause certainly satisfies people that look for ridiculous (in a good way) game mechanics. It is also ridiculous cheap after it came out a little more than a decade ago. I've got it on the 360 for $1, while I've seen it for even less on Steam. Let's face it, even if it provides only one hour of entertainment, it is easy to say that it's worth that amount. However, is the game itself worth playing?

In this game you play as an Agent sent to overthrow a government, as the leader is apparently a dictator of San Esperito, and may perhaps even may have nukes. Sounds familiar? Definitely sounds like regular American imperialism. I found myself turned off by this plot with its pro-imperialist ideals, but upon research I've found that it may even be a parody. I can kind of see it, but I can also see America taking it this far. There's no evidence of the leader being a dictator or evil in any way, and your agency even becomes friends with a local cartel since they hate the leader as well.

This is an open world game. However, I find that there is not enough variety to justify it. All you have are the main missions, settlements to liberate, and collectibles to find. With this lack of variety, I found myself not completing the game, as I quickly got bored of doing the same thing over and over.

The game does have a variety of mechanics, but because of the awkwardness of them I find myself never utilizing them. Hell, I always just used the default weapons since they had infinite ammo and were strong enough to kill most enemies quickly enough anyways. On top of that, you use the direction pad to go through a menu of weapons in real time which I found to be quite awkward. One of the appeals of the game are the stunts and using the grappling hook. However, like I said about the menu, it is quite awkward to access that weapon. On top of that, doing the stunts themselves was unnecessarily difficult for me, so I've never done them.

During the liberating settlements side quest, I also found it quite awkward. You basically have to blow up 3 blockades with either a grenade or stationary explosives. Sometimes the blockades take their time to spawn, and doing damage to them too early won't decrease their health. It seems like you must kill a certain amount of soldiers before being able to cause damage to it.

Perhaps the most frustrating aspect of this game is liberating the settlements. You initiate them by talking to a guerrilla fighter outside of the settlement. However, sometimes "start side mission" is the option with the fighter as opposed to "start liberation". I have no idea what triggers this. I find it very frustrating to travel to the settlement only to receive that message. This is the biggest reason why I ended up stopping the game. I also found it difficult to find how to save in this game. I ended up googling it to figure out to save. You do so by going to your safehouses, and selecting the metallic box. Still, I feel like they should have been more clear on this aspect, as it's especially important.

The collectibles tend to be easy to find since they are all on the map. I found myself not caring about them anymore, as there is barely no motivation to collect them in the first place. You do get achievements for doing so, but I feel like they should include weapon, health, or speed upgrades to give the player more motivation. You do receive points for either the guerrillas or the cartel, and with that you increase your rank and unlock stuff, but I find the settlement liberations to provide more than enough points for that.

One thing I should praise is how accessible this game would be for people that are new for shooters. It is third person game which I find most people weary of FPS complain about. It is also incredibly easy to aim. You just have to aim at a general area if you are close enough to an enemy, and they lock on as a target. If you are also looking for a power-trip, then this game may be for you. I never reached below 50% of my health, even when I was taking over military bases which is the hardest part of the game.

This game did have the potential to be quite fun, but due to the awkwardness of the game mechanics I found myself not even being able to finish the game. One can argue that I shouldn't review the game because I didn't finish it, but I believe that criticisms should say how the experience is as a whole. Also, as Ebert said with walking out on films: It's ok to do it if you said you did it.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 24th, 2019, 12:57 am

Also finished my review of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, which to my surprise I ended up giving it a 6/10:
Although this has gotten quite a bit of praise on its release date, I noticed how much flak it gets from certain types of gamers. It's become the stereotypical bro game. It's reached the point where saying "I liked the first few ones" practically became a meme. Even with all this, and my reservations against stuff that celebrates the military, masculinity, and the bro culture, I've decided to give this an honest chance. I should note that this review will only cover the singleplayer portion. I know that these games are all about the multiplayer, but I have no way to play it since a) my 360 says I don't have access to it, and b) I'm sure not many will play it on the 360 a decade after the games release, and if there are any I assume they are veterans of the game.

At first, I was incredibly turned off by the game. The opening cutscene felt way too pro-America, and even implying that foreign intervention can be a good thing. The first few levels felt like a celebration of war, and the masculine bro-culture related to war. I was honestly terrified. Then the Task Force 141 mission based in the mountains came in. It was paced very well, contained a variety of game mechanics, and was honestly just fun. I had hopes for the game. Of course, the controversial mission had to come in. It felt like such an incredibly exploitative way to make the villain look bad. It's dealing with the standard "look how evil I am" trope, but takes it to such an extreme level that I honestly thought it was satire. I was stunned by the fact that you had to be involved in it as well. I felt like stopping the game at that point, but I felt like it could be unfair, so I kept going.

Eventually, to my surprise, the game ended up growing on me. The missions based in America felt a bit too much like propaganda, even basing one part in the White House, but the Task Force 141 missions were what made the game very fun. I enjoyed the settings of them, and the variety of the pacing. It would change from more stealth-based to action-based throughout the level, but never felt rushed or drawn out. There is a twist partway through that I found interesting when learning about the motivations behind it.

As for the gameplay itself, I found it to be an above average FPS. The variety of weapons was welcoming, and the use of technology such as drones and targeting was quite interesting. The difficulty of the levels had a good pace, slightly increasing as the game went on. However, I felt like the difficulty at the level based in a home was a bit too high of a jump. It took much longer than it should have for me to complete it due to the amount of practice required on my end.

My one big complaint is the fact that the singleplayer campaign is so short. Even though I was stuck on that one level, it took me around 5 and a half hours to complete the game. I understand that multiplayer is the focus on this game series, but since I can't access that aspect of the game, I wanted to see something more fleshed out.

To my surprise, I actually enjoyed this game. Does that make me a bro?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 28th, 2019, 2:55 pm

My review of Gun which I gave 7/10
This is definitely a case of Neversoft going outside of their comfort zone. Even if the style and setting is completely different, it still somehow feels like a Neversoft game. It is also a type of game that I believe should be utilized more often: the western setting. Did their risky endeavour of creating a western game pay off?

I should mention right out of the bat. Even though this game is quite old and the graphics are of its age, I was in awe of how it looked like. The tutorial area is in a forest, and it looked quite lush. Even in the more plain-looking desert environments I still thought they looked great. The backgrounds and the sky reminds me of the matte paintings that were used as the background for many western films.

Some of the character models could look better however. Their animation and the way they talk with their repetitive hand movements as they talk. I also noticed that when some models are far away they have an almost stop-motion type of animation. In Dodge I feel like the town could look more alive as well. There are a few NPCs that walk throughout it, but the people of importance is just them standing in front of a building. Feels more like a 2nd turn based JRPG and while it worked on those, it feels dead here. Of course, these sacrifices seem to be important, as in exchange of that we have a game world that requires no loading screens. You can travel from one end to the other seamlessly. However, the game world only consists one of town and one city, and you can travel across quite quickly.

The gameplay is where this game shines. The combat feels almost like an arcade shooter. It is quite challenging in the beginning, but with enough rewards the difficulty will decrease later on, making you feel more accomplished. These rewards come from side quests. The side quests basically increase your skills on top of rewarding you money. This provides plenty of motivation to complete them, and makes them feel like a little more than just padding the game time. I also didn't like the conclusion of the game. I won't spoil, but the way it's done feels too different from the rest of the game.

Unfortunately, the journey is quite short. You can complete this game 100% if you dedicate only one day to it. However, it somehow also feels like it will overstay its welcome quite soon. If they would extend the game length, then they would have had to provide more variety. I assume it's that short due to the story, which actually feels like the right length. It's not for me, but it actually felt quite similar to the Uncharted games. If you are a fan of those types of stories, then I can see you enjoying this.

This is a game that has aged quite well both with its graphics and gameplay. It does suffer from some light racism, but that is the standard for westerns. If you really love the Red Dead games and require to scratch your western itch, and wouldn't mind playing something older, even if short, then I recommend this game.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 28th, 2019, 3:53 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:55 pm
My review of Gun which I gave 7/10
This is definitely a case of Neversoft going outside of their comfort zone. Even if the style and setting is completely different, it still somehow feels like a Neversoft game. It is also a type of game that I believe should be utilized more often: the western setting. Did their risky endeavour of creating a western game pay off?

I should mention right out of the bat. Even though this game is quite old and the graphics are of its age, I was in awe of how it looked like. The tutorial area is in a forest, and it looked quite lush. Even in the more plain-looking desert environments I still thought they looked great. The backgrounds and the sky reminds me of the matte paintings that were used as the background for many western films.

Some of the character models could look better however. Their animation and the way they talk with their repetitive hand movements as they talk. I also noticed that when some models are far away they have an almost stop-motion type of animation. In Dodge I feel like the town could look more alive as well. There are a few NPCs that walk throughout it, but the people of importance is just them standing in front of a building. Feels more like a 2nd turn based JRPG and while it worked on those, it feels dead here. Of course, these sacrifices seem to be important, as in exchange of that we have a game world that requires no loading screens. You can travel from one end to the other seamlessly. However, the game world only consists one of town and one city, and you can travel across quite quickly.

The gameplay is where this game shines. The combat feels almost like an arcade shooter. It is quite challenging in the beginning, but with enough rewards the difficulty will decrease later on, making you feel more accomplished. These rewards come from side quests. The side quests basically increase your skills on top of rewarding you money. This provides plenty of motivation to complete them, and makes them feel like a little more than just padding the game time. I also didn't like the conclusion of the game. I won't spoil, but the way it's done feels too different from the rest of the game.

Unfortunately, the journey is quite short. You can complete this game 100% if you dedicate only one day to it. However, it somehow also feels like it will overstay its welcome quite soon. If they would extend the game length, then they would have had to provide more variety. I assume it's that short due to the story, which actually feels like the right length. It's not for me, but it actually felt quite similar to the Uncharted games. If you are a fan of those types of stories, then I can see you enjoying this.

This is a game that has aged quite well both with its graphics and gameplay. It does suffer from some light racism, but that is the standard for westerns. If you really love the Red Dead games and require to scratch your western itch, and wouldn't mind playing something older, even if short, then I recommend this game.
Ah, that brings back memories to high school for me, I had this game (on the GameCube, lol) and recall beating it really quickly; it was pretty fun while it lasted and I agree, it was cool to play a Western-themed game which I hadn't done before...don't remember if the first Red Dead game had come out before Gun or not. The main thing I remember about Gun was the ability to, uh...scalp people. :satstunned: Kinda icky...
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 28th, 2019, 4:11 pm

I should have added the scalping mechanic to my review. It just felt gratuitous. I mean, it added nothing to the game really. Just a gory way to kill someone.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 28th, 2019, 4:12 pm

My review of Harvester, which is one of my all time favourite games. Easy 10/10
This is a game that although apparently wasn't popular, it garnered quite a bit of conversation. It was controversial for being a gorefest, and wasn't even received well by critics upon its release, at least according to metacritic. However, this ended up becoming a cult classic. I consider it one of my favourite games as well. This is a MUST if you are a fan of the surreal, the macabre, and pitch black comedy.

This is a point-and-click adventure, so it all depends on how the story is. You wake up in a small 1950s town with amnesia. This has the basic horror trope where the town just seems completely off. These are 1950s and American culture stereotypes ramped up to 11. Not regular people. The horror trope of the town being completely off is very effective thanks to these characters. On top of it being horrifying, these characters can be hilarious. Every person talks about the importance of the lodge, a mysterious building in the middle of the town. To join it, you must first file a paper application, and then do a series of tasks. These tasks slowly become more evil as they go on. The gameplay does change to more puzzle and combat oriented in the final 3rd of the game instead of a point-and-click adventure. Some may be turned off by how clunky the combat can be. I will admit that it is, but I also believe that it is a part of the game's charm. There are also quite a lot of unanswered questions, and many wtf moments, but it adds to the surreal world, and once again is part of the game's charm.

The main draw of the game is just how hilarious this is. If you find stuff like people crying over a dead body that is right in front of them, and eating pie at the same time as being funny, then you can enjoy this. There are many scenes like this that are completely pitch black in terms of comedy. It also has a lot of satire based on the American 50s culture which I really enjoyed. However, there are a few homosexual stereotypes in this game that I found didn't age well. It was quite offensive. However, it may also be seen as a satire on the homophobia of America in the 50s.

This game is mostly known for its gore, and it certainly lives up to its reputation. The violence is at an absolutely ridiculous level. Everything from extreme S&M to cannibal children (who you end up killing). A lot of the humour can be slapstick too, but they actually show consequences to them, making them a lot more horrifying and in my opinion, funny. However, this isn't just a mindless gorefest. This has a message about the connection between violence in the media and real life violence. It also explores the fascination of violence in American culture. It's actually quite smart, and since this is still talked about to this day, I found it to still be relevant.

I definitely recommend this if you want something smarter than the average game. I also recommend this if you want to explore a different type of game. One with a rare kind of surreal and pitch black comedic charm. This game is perfect to me.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 29th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Finally got an NES yay

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 29th, 2019, 10:12 pm

SMB3 rom hacks when

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 29th, 2019, 10:14 pm

I bet there actually are cartridges with romhacks.

The package I got came with 2 copies of Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, Contra, Zelda, & Zelda 2. I never beaten any of these games (yes even mario) so I'm really looking forward to them.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 29th, 2019, 10:20 pm

I mean, those are all the best ones. There are other best ones as well but those are all pretty great. Zelda 2 is, surprisingly, making a bit of a resurgence in popularity and acclaim at the moment. I guess you could just call it a surgence, as it was never very well liked in the first place.

and you can get a flashcart and dump all your roms onto it, even hacked ones. but if you do, make sure to get one that doesn't fry your NES, as some of them have improper circuitry.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 29th, 2019, 10:28 pm

I never understood the dislike for Zelda 2. It introduced me to a lot of RPG concepts I still love in modern games. Sure enough, it's a "weird" sequel as it's not just an evolution of Zelda 1 but something entirely different, but surely that's something to be appreciated.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 29th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Looked up flashcarts now. It sounds amazing, but I am somewhat of a collector so it's awesome to have the original copies. Perhaps if the games are just too ridiculously expensive, like Earthbound for the SNES or something like that. If I get that job from the job interviewer tomorrow and my mental health doesn't get in the way then I'm definitely buying tons of NES games.

I wanna get the obvious ones like SMB2 and 3, Tetris, Megaman, the Castlevania games, Jackal, and Final Fantasy, but also the underrated ones that I've yet to try like Vice: Project Doom, Blaster Master, Batman, Willow, Magic of Scheherazade, The Guardian Legend, and Crystalis.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 29th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Dr. Mario for NES might be my single most favorite 2-player game ever. Wife and I will sit and play that for hours while yelling horrific things at each other.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 29th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:28 pm
I never understood the dislike for Zelda 2. It introduced me to a lot of RPG concepts I still love in modern games. Sure enough, it's a "weird" sequel as it's not just an evolution of Zelda 1 but something entirely different, but surely that's something to be appreciated.
the dislike is definitely an after-the-fact evaluation, comparing it to what is "expected" from a Zelda game. I don't like or dislike it any more than the other mainline Zelda titles, but I do think it's pretty nifty.

some of the hate probably also due to it being difficult. Compared to Zelda titles, anyway, certainly not compared to other NES titles.
Last edited by funkybusiness on May 29th, 2019, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 29th, 2019, 11:47 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:29 pm
Looked up flashcarts now. It sounds amazing, but I am somewhat of a collector so it's awesome to have the original copies. Perhaps if the games are just too ridiculously expensive, like Earthbound for the SNES or something like that. If I get that job from the job interviewer tomorrow and my mental health doesn't get in the way then I'm definitely buying tons of NES games.

I wanna get the obvious ones like SMB2 and 3, Tetris, Megaman, the Castlevania games, Jackal, and Final Fantasy, but also the underrated ones that I've yet to try like Vice: Project Doom, Blaster Master, Batman, Willow, Magic of Scheherazade, The Guardian Legend, and Crystalis.
yeah, nothing wrong with collecting. flashcarts also kind of function like a rental place, try out a game before you put the money into buying it.

Megaman 3 and 4 are my favorites of the NES titles. Duck Tales is also genuinely good. and the Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior in English on the NES) games are better than the Final Fantasy titles, for me anyway. 3 is an all-timer, but I do prefer the updated versions for the SNES and GBC.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 30th, 2019, 12:06 am

Looked up Dragon Warrior on ebay and you can get all 4 parts for the low price of $200 USD. Fuck that. Seems like you can get Dragon Quest 3 for the SNES for $25 USD

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 30th, 2019, 12:18 am

yeah the price has skyrocketed since DQXI came out. which I haven't played cuz I don't have a PS4. I'm going to probably play the Switch version when it comes out at the end of the year because I'll have to get a Switch because Mario Maker 2 looks too good.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 30th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Playing Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts now and it's fantastic. Really don't know why there's a lot of hate for it.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 30th, 2019, 10:24 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:14 pm

The package I got came with 2 copies of Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, Contra, Zelda, & Zelda 2. I never beaten any of these games (yes even mario) so I'm really looking forward to them.
Did you get a light gun too?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 30th, 2019, 11:05 pm

weirdboy wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 10:24 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Did you get a light gun too?
Yep. Haven't tried it yet though.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 30th, 2019, 11:13 pm

power glove?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 30th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Oh if only. I love the power glove. It's so bad.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 30th, 2019, 11:22 pm

I'm downloading The Wizard right now. Seems like the perfect time to see it and may have so bad it's good potential.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 30th, 2019, 11:23 pm

the speedboard, now that's where it's at

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 30th, 2019, 11:26 pm

Nah, the laser scope. FIRE!

This is reminding me of that AVGN episode.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 30th, 2019, 11:36 pm

I've never interacted with a R.O.B., but it doesn't seem terrible.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 30th, 2019, 11:50 pm

My goal is to be like him:

Eventually, I'll get good at all 97 NES games.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 31st, 2019, 5:45 pm

Call of Duty Black Ops is so fucking ridiculous that it actually ended up being fun. Look at what you can do to Castro