Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Coeur fidèle, September nominations (Aug 30th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

metaller
Donator

What game(s) are you playing now?

Post by metaller » June 7th, 2018, 11:29 pm

A good friend of mine was super hyped for Frostounk before it was released (he really digs all survival games in the broad sense). While he liked it fine enough when he got it, he said that replayability isn't that big. He'd either like the game to go on after a scenario ends or way more scenarios.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 8th, 2018, 1:55 am

Yeah it really needs a sandbox mode and more scenarios. I was disappointed when I finished the first scenario to just get sent to the main menu to start again. I hope they add more because I just want to play it all the time
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » June 21st, 2018, 6:22 pm

Steam sale is up, and steam has crashed, business as usual.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » June 25th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Games I'm about to buy (played some of these before, but it'll be good to replay):

GTA: San Andreas
GTA: Vice City
Half-Life 2: Episode One & Two
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Batman Arkham Asylum & City
Layers of Fear
Oxenfree
Stories Untold
Tomb Raider
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
The Dream Machine
The Void
Metro 2033 Redux

Quite a long-term investment, since I haven't even started half of the games I bought last year:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Borderlands 2
Deux Ex: Human Revolution
SOMA
The Talos Principle

[over the last 1-2 years I played Half-Life 1&2, Portal 1&2, System Shock 2, Everything, Life is Strange, BioShock, The Stanley Parable, and a bit of Grim Fandango, and XCOM 2]

Anyone have any thoughts on what to prioritise over the summer? Which of these games do you think rock and which suck?
Last edited by Carmel1379 on June 25th, 2018, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 25th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Not really any complaints about them. Couldn't get into Arkham City. I preferred Asylum a lot more as I couldn't get into the open-world style of City.

Tomb Raider is entertaining, but I honestly prefer the older games. As soon as I got past the dated control scheme I really enjoyed them.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » June 25th, 2018, 9:03 pm

I played some of those older Lara Craft games half a lifetime ago too, good memories. Might be fun revisiting them too.

With much improved graphics the 2013 reboot is what I went for, didn't even know it existed.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 25th, 2018, 9:05 pm

It's a lot more action-oriented with lots of combat and less on the exploration. It's much closer to something like Uncharted.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » June 25th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Both the 2013 Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider have some Quick Time Events (a.k.a. "hit the triangle button...NOW!") that annoy the crap out of me, but aside from that I enjoyed both of the modern incarnations from beginning to end.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 25th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Tomb Raider is pretty fun, though the story, characters and acting are awful. I also really like The Talos Principle, but I was about 50-75% through and stopped playing for over a year and when I went back to it I couldn’t remember all the tricks anymore.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 26th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Didn't know that SGDQ is going on right now. No point in seeing it though because it'll never beat this classic moment

Timec

Post by Timec » July 24th, 2018, 1:54 am

I caught the gaming bug for the first time in more than a decade, so I’ve spent the last six months trying to catch up on the last two generations of games.

So far, my favorites of the 16 games I’ve beaten since January:

Dead Space (PS3) – I’m generally not a fan of straightforward shooters like this, but this one was a blast. The pacing is relentless, but the action doesn’t come at the expense of atmosphere—you never lose sight of the fact that you’re (nearly) alone wandering the corridors of a derelict and infested spaceship.

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) – The story is nonsensical and the voice acting sometimes painful—but the world is beautiful and a lot of fun to explore, and the fast-paced, real-time battles were a nice break after playing two older Final Fantasy games in a row. Also: This game is super long—my non-completionist playthrough took more than 70 hours. Yet, other than a few moments where I got stuck on a particularly challenging boss, I thought it was a ton of fun the whole way through.

Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3) – The gameplay gets smoother as the series goes along—the first one is quite janky by today’s standards—but I grew to love these characters and their interactions with one another, and was genuinely saddened by some of the events of the last two games. The third one gets a lot of flack online, but other than the disappointing final ten minutes, I thought it was pretty great—mechanically, it’s probably the best of the trilogy. (On a side note: thank God they got rid of the Mako.)

Prey (PS4) – I found this fiendishly difficult in the beginning—there are enemies in the first big area of the game that can kill you in one shot—but once I learned the mechanics and began powering up my character, I loved exploring all the nooks and crannies of the spaceship and discovering different ways of overcoming obstacles. I’m usually ready for games to end by the time I’m approaching the finish line, but this was one I would have been happy to spend a lot more time with. Dishonored, from the same studio, was also a lot of fun, using similar mechanics in a Steampunkish (?) setting.

“Immersive sims” are an entirely new concept for me, but I think this may be a new favorite genre. I love the freedom they give you to explore and experiment—while still giving you a sense of direction and forward momentum, unlike some truly open world games.

-

On the other end, the biggest disappointment of late was Final Fantasy X, which I’ve been meaning to play for more than 15 years—I love several earlier games in the series, but I found the story and characters extremely shallow, and the gameplay monotonous. Afterwards, I decided to give FFX-2 a shot—but gave up on that after an hour. :blink:

I also couldn’t get into Fallout 3 at all—I found the setting drab (which makes sense in context, of course, but…) and the shooting to be too clunky to enjoy. Still, I’ll probably try out New Vegas at some point, since I’ve heard it’s quite different.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 24th, 2018, 2:18 am

Ugh I wish I could still game but my damn hands :( I've started doing a forearm strengthening routine in the hopes I can one day game again lol.

I really enjoyed the Mass Effect series and every now and then it'll creep back into my head. It's probably the best video game (series) for the journey of story+characters despite the fact that I usually hate games that are full of cut scenes. I didn't play much of Prey because it was scary but I was enjoying it. I just get scared really easily playing video games and can only handle so much before my hands are too sweaty to hold the controller.

I was discussing the Fallout games with my housemate and bf the other day - both have played and finished Fallout 4 and New Vegas a number of times, and my housemate has finished Fallout 3 once I think. I don't know how far I was into Fallout 3 (maybe 2/3?) before it just got too hard for me to progress at all (I'm terrible at character builds, and just games in general lol). They both agree that Fallout 4 is the blandest of the games, lacking a true open world and not giving much choice with your character. They both like New Vegas the most for depth of story and themes, but said it has 'ugly visuals'. I enjoyed Fallout 3 and I love its setting (apparently it's also the most 'open world' of the games) and story, so I find it really fun to run around and explore but yea the combat is a bit clunky.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » July 24th, 2018, 2:29 am

Timec wrote:
July 24th, 2018, 1:54 am
I caught the gaming bug for the first time in more than a decade, so I’ve spent the last six months trying to catch up on the last two generations of games.

So far, my favorites of the 16 games I’ve beaten since January:

Dead Space (PS3) – I’m generally not a fan of straightforward shooters like this, but this one was a blast. The pacing is relentless, but the action doesn’t come at the expense of atmosphere—you never lose sight of the fact that you’re (nearly) alone wandering the corridors of a derelict and infested spaceship.

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) – The story is nonsensical and the voice acting sometimes painful—but the world is beautiful and a lot of fun to explore, and the fast-paced, real-time battles were a nice break after playing two older Final Fantasy games in a row. Also: This game is super long—my non-completionist playthrough took more than 70 hours. Yet, other than a few moments where I got stuck on a particularly challenging boss, I thought it was a ton of fun the whole way through.

Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3) – The gameplay gets smoother as the series goes along—the first one is quite janky by today’s standards—but I grew to love these characters and their interactions with one another, and was genuinely saddened by some of the events of the last two games. The third one gets a lot of flack online, but other than the disappointing final ten minutes, I thought it was pretty great—mechanically, it’s probably the best of the trilogy. (On a side note: thank God they got rid of the Mako.)

Prey (PS4) – I found this fiendishly difficult in the beginning—there are enemies in the first big area of the game that can kill you in one shot—but once I learned the mechanics and began powering up my character, I loved exploring all the nooks and crannies of the spaceship and discovering different ways of overcoming obstacles. I’m usually ready for games to end by the time I’m approaching the finish line, but this was one I would have been happy to spend a lot more time with. Dishonored, from the same studio, was also a lot of fun, using similar mechanics in a Steampunkish (?) setting.

“Immersive sims” are an entirely new concept for me, but I think this may be a new favorite genre. I love the freedom they give you to explore and experiment—while still giving you a sense of direction and forward momentum, unlike some truly open world games.

-

On the other end, the biggest disappointment of late was Final Fantasy X, which I’ve been meaning to play for more than 15 years—I love several earlier games in the series, but I found the story and characters extremely shallow, and the gameplay monotonous. Afterwards, I decided to give FFX-2 a shot—but gave up on that after an hour. :blink:

I also couldn’t get into Fallout 3 at all—I found the setting drab (which makes sense in context, of course, but…) and the shooting to be too clunky to enjoy. Still, I’ll probably try out New Vegas at some point, since I’ve heard it’s quite different.
I haven't played it since it was released, but I really hated that stupid water tank dodgeball game in Final Fantasy X.

I also couldn't get into Fallout 3 or Fallout: NV. However, my main problem with both of them was my inability to get them to run on my computer without crashing every 15 minutes.

I am still playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It feels way bigger than any previous Zelda game, and I am still wandering around and finding new places to explore, and new shrines, etc.

During the recent Amazon Prime sale I picked up a cheap copy of Ni No Kuni 2, but i haven't even cracked it open yet. I had the first game in Japanese on DS, and also bought it for PS3 when it was released for that in the US. The PS3 version was superior for the most part--such as not having the stupid manual based copy protection scheme that was straight out of the 80's.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » July 24th, 2018, 5:47 am

Ni no Kuni 2, fun fun fun

Timec

Post by Timec » July 25th, 2018, 1:39 am

mightysparks wrote:I was discussing the Fallout games with my housemate and bf the other day - both have played and finished Fallout 4 and New Vegas a number of times, and my housemate has finished Fallout 3 once I think. I don't know how far I was into Fallout 3 (maybe 2/3?) before it just got too hard for me to progress at all (I'm terrible at character builds, and just games in general lol).
I’ve always been pretty bad at gaming, though I have gotten a bit better at certain kinds of games since I started playing again. I tried Dishonored in January and couldn’t even make it past the first mission. Then I went back to it last month after finishing Prey and was able to beat it—though I still died a lot. :pinch:

However, I won’t even try anything that requires high precision or fast reflexes. The bullet hell sequences in Nier: Automata were a nightmare for me.

Fallout 3 is something I might give another chance sometime down the road. Apart from the clunky shooting, I also had a hard time navigating (even though I live right outside DC and should be able to find my way around ;)), kept running out of ammo, and couldn’t get used to the leveling and VATS system. But maybe I’ll be able to handle it better as I play more games.
weirdboy wrote:I haven't played it since it was released, but I really hated that stupid water tank dodgeball game in Final Fantasy X.
Yeah, blitzball was the worst. I was grateful the game only requires you to play it once or twice and makes the rest optional. Otherwise, I probably wouldn’t have ever finished it.

Breath of the Wild and both Ni No Kuni games are in my backlog. I know chronology doesn’t really matter in the Zelda series, but I’m waiting until I finally beat the GameCube games and Skyward Sword to play the newest one (I know - I'm only like 15 years behind, haha.)

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 25th, 2018, 10:47 am

WAIT HOLD ON A MINUTE

Why didn't anyone tell me there was a secret world on Bomberman 64!?!

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » July 29th, 2018, 8:35 pm

I've been playing some Witcher 2 in preparation for Witcher 3 and just finished the first chapter. I find the story to be interesting but the gameplay is really dull, so I think I'll just read the rest of the plot on a wiki or something. A shame, cause I really enjoyed the first Witcher.

Also been playing some Dark Souls Remastered on the PS4, and it's a blast so far :wub: . Rang the second bell and got to Sen's Fortress but I got my ass handed to me so I'm looking into exploring some other areas to get better.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 29th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Witcher 2 sucks.

Witcher 3 is quite fun, but I honestly preferred Dragon Age: Inquisition

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 5th, 2018, 4:12 am

I've been playing a bit of Sunless Sea and Cultist Simulator recently. Still need to get my head around both, and they require some patience. I really love anything to do with resource management and this has that, with story, some atmosphere and some strategy. You need to die a lot and start again to progress which can get a bit annoying but after a while it starts to feel 'right'.

I also downloaded Monopoly Tycoon last night which I haven't played in about 15 years and damn that's aged a bit but is still fun. I used to love Zoo Tycoon but that's pretty dated now (4 camera angles, man). Also been playing some Democracy 3, and I keep wanting to play Tropico again now. I also want to try playing This War of Mine and Beholder some more but I always get put off once I die. I'm starting to learn to see dying as part of the learning process lol. Also wanna get better at games like Rimworld and Banished, but I'm really bad at building and planning so I prefer to stick to purely resource management instead of building.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 28th, 2018, 9:04 am

Buying a gaming PC to play all the newer games I've been getting on Steam for sale just doesn't seem like a good idea the moment until I've saved more money. Until then, to stave off my impatience I've been taking advantage of emulators to play older games, starting with SNES games.

Super Mario World - Ugh! I don't understand how so many people love this game (or any of the Mario games tbh). For me it's just frustration, no fun, not even when I finally complete a hard level. I had to tear myself away from this one because there is a temptation to finish it against all odds. Watching speed runners blow through this game like it's nothing blows my mind.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (re-play) - Wanted to see how this one holds up. The gameplay is more or less perfect; it has just enough levels, the levels are varied and it always hits the sweet spot between challenging and fun. It doesn't have much of a story compared to later games like Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask.
Chrono Trigger - Wow, this was a fantastic game. Not much to say about it that hasn't already been said I suppose.
Super Metroid - Currently in the middle of this one. I love the atmosphere and about 90% of the gameplay; however, I don't think I'd have the patience to do this without a walkthrough (maybe when I was younger and had more free time), and there are points in the game I can't imagine playing without taking advantage of the save-anywhere mechanic on the emulator.

Also started Final Fantasy IV (aka Final Fantasy II U.S.) but not sure about it. Also looking at other RPGs like Final Fantasy VI and Secret of Mana, but they are all big time investments for me. Any recommendations?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 28th, 2018, 9:43 am

Did you play them on keyboard or is there gamepad support on the emulator?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 28th, 2018, 10:01 am

EARTHBOUND

re: Final Fantasy, I liked IV enough, really liked V (job system!) and could never get into VI. VII of course was groovy when you're twelve. VIII was weird... Never played IX. X was equal parts very good and really bad. X-2 should've been great (X minus the bullshit sport thing but plus a job system thing!), but it wasn't. I did like XII tho.That one still has quite the audience, mostly the expanded Japanese release. It's the last one I've played (except a couple handheld spinoffs. The Tactics series is recommendable and probably better than most of the mainline titles).

I enjoyed Seiken Densetsu 3 (which is the sequel to Secret of Mana) a lot. I've played it a couple times over the years. It's a game that takes a few playthroughs to get the whole experience because there are six characters and you basically pick a main character, and that becomes your through-line narrative, but then it's augmented based on your two supporting picks. And they fixed many of the button and menu issues I had with Secret of Mana, so, a plus for me to make the gameplay less annoying.

I liked the Breath of Fire games as well but I don't know if those have aged well, haven't played them since the GBA copies were new. I liked 2 the best, you get a typical RPG roster but as you progress thru the game you can combine them together in different combinations. Basically, DBZ fusions and 11yo me thought that was the greatest thing ever (I hated Dragon Quarter when it came out. I was like...twelve maybe? and was hooked on the GBA copies of 1 and 2, and was super disappointed it wasn't a PS2-graphics equivalent and also I had no fucking clue what I was doing. I think I'd like it now that I know how to actually play it. You basically have to continually restart the game. I thought I was doing something wrong when I kept dying like an hour into the game, but no, that's what's supposed to happen, and you basically get a New Game Plus, constantly. That's how you max out your character's "dragon" stats, okay maybe it was actually dumb).

I really liked the major Castlevania games as well but maybe that's not as recommendable to you if you didn't love the open-world-exploring-ness of Super Metroid.

re: your playings, I love Super Mario World and those early Mario games. I learned to read playing Super Mario Bros 3 as a 3-4y/o because I was constantly pestering my siblings and mother about what the dialogue boxes were saying and they eventually stopped helping, so I helped myself. So, I can't relate with the whole frustrated thing, we used to beat those games like every afternoon. Even if you didn't like the NES/SNES titles, if you haven't played Super Mario 64, please go do that right now. And if you end up enjoying that, the main Mario titles since 64 somehow continually increase their masterpiece-ness.
A Link to the Past: I replayed this two-ish years ago and was surprised at how short the game was. I thought it was like 40 hours when I played it as a kid, practically never-ending but it's, what, maybe 3-5 hours? If you take your time?
Chrono Trigger was the one I could never quite get into as a kid (and I traded Pokemon Snap for it! D;). I might re-try that sometime soon. (Maybe now!)
Super Metroid: Haven't played it in a few years but I love long-playing it. Like you said, the atmosphere and everything. 10-12 year old me was definitely me at my gaming peak, and having a snes with Super Metroid and then Prime and Fusion coming out within a year of first playing Super Metroid was absolutely mind-blowing. Loved those games.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 28th, 2018, 10:46 pm

@Amoreska - On a keyboard. Makes the controls for Super Metroid super weird. I could easily have rebinded them but I gave it a try as is and got used to it.

@funkybusiness - I've seen Earthbound mentioned a bunch of times, can you tell me what you like about it?
Thanks for the all the info on RPGs. You correctly guessed I've never played a FF game. I work a lot, full time plus night/online classes, so for now I'm not interested in the later games which supposedly take 60-70 hours to complete. I might give Castlevania IV a try. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night looks like the best one but I'm wary of PS emulators. I was playing Metal Gear Solid on one a while back; I was maybe a third of the way through the game when the emulator, the game and all save files vanished from my computer (?!?! ... targeted by antivirus software, maybe??? I dunno).
Nope, nope, nope, I have an adverse reaction to all things plumber related. I did play a little of Mario 64 back in the day but never got into it.
I took maybe 12-15 hours this time with A Link to the Past, though I was being a completionist with all the heart pieces and side quests. It seems tiny in comparison to Ocarina of Time.
Chrono Trigger is awesome, it's definitely one of the more fast-paced and entertaining RPGs and it's not the least bit grind-y. The game is overall not too hard, has great music, great settings, and an impressive amount of player choice for a game from that time.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 28th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Earthbound is like if Weird Al made an RPG, but it's not as annoying as that might sound. Or, another way of putting it, it's like if David Lynch's view of America was filtered thru a distorted satirical anarchic Japanese wacky cartoony early '90s lens (skateboards and sunglasses and terrible neon pastel color palettes!), but putting the existential horror in the backseat. It's the most immediately pleasurable RPG for me. It doesn't take itself or its parodic targets too seriously but that's not to say the game feels unfinished or lazily made, it's actually a very full RPG experience but completely different from everything else of its genre, vintage-wise.
Earthbound is the middle game of a three game series (entitled MOTHER, Earthbound is Mother 2 in Japanese) but the first isn't quite as wondrous and gets stupid hard/grindy in the final third and I've never had a great time playing the third because it relies on rhythmic button-pressing that an emulator just can't process properly (the English translation is a fan translation and I've never bothered to buy a Japanese cartridge (or find out if GBA has region-locking?) or buy a loader cartridge to dump the translation onto, or try and figure out how any of that works).

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 28th, 2018, 11:15 pm

re: Castlevania, yeah, Super Castlevania is a pretty good place to start but of the early titles, I prefer Rondo of Blood. PC Engine emulators require a bit of know-how to set up initially but are about 100x more stable than any of the Playstation emulators. And if you don't mind the crummier graphics, the three main GBA and two DS titles are excellent as well.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » August 29th, 2018, 12:01 am

funkybusiness wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 11:07 pm
(the English translation is a fan translation and I've never bothered to buy a Japanese cartridge (or find out if GBA has region-locking?)
GBA games are not region-locked. I bought many GBA cartridges in Japan and they all work on GBA and the old-school DS that also takes GBA cartridges.

In fact, up until 3DS none of the Nintendo mobile platforms were region-locked. However all (or maybe only "most") of the 3DS games are.

The good news is that Nintendo changed their minds again, and switch games are region-free.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 29th, 2018, 12:07 am

solid information, thanks weirdboy

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 29th, 2018, 1:02 am

Since I'm not sure if I'm feeling FF right away, I'm going to take a dive into EarthBound as soon as I finish Super Metroid. It sounds really weird/different which definitely appeals to my tastes.

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » September 23rd, 2018, 8:55 pm

Well, I've finished Dark Souls Remastered and it's now one of my favourite games. The combat is really good, the story is fantastic (though I think I've spent something like a day watching lore videos on Youtube), the characters are all tragic and the level design is just great.
And I didn't find it to be that hard. Most of the deaths came from me rushing into a situation, not paying attention to the enemies or the environment and things like that, not from the game being unfair.

I also finished Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and I didn't like it as much. It was good, the combat was still tight, the story was solid but the design was more linear and most of the locations and enemies were forgettable. Did not finish the DLC for it as I felt pretty burned out by that time. Went to the Sunken City, got my ass handed to me by some invincible ghost knights, called it a night, and watched DLC lore videos on Youtube. Maybe I'll get around one day to finish the DLC, but I doubt it.

Played the campaign of Starcraft Remastered for the lore and it was ok. The story is kind of generic, but the characters are the ones that really shine. However it's one of those games that I enjoy watching others play it much more than playing it myself. It's just too fast and hectic for me.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 4th, 2018, 11:36 am

would like to play this game:
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Timec

Post by Timec » October 4th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Outside of the somewhat grotesque art style, Dishonored is pretty great.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » October 4th, 2018, 5:46 pm

I love Dishonored. It's basically a steampunk Deus Ex (in terms of gameplay).

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » October 7th, 2018, 10:00 am

I reinstalled The Witcher 3 after watching Marcel Carne's Les Visiteurs du Soir (those damn costumes...) and falling in love with it all over again.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » November 1st, 2018, 12:13 am

Speaking of the Witcher...

Too pretty/well-groomed for my liking.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » November 10th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Just looked up some gameplay videos of The Quiet Man. Fuck Spiderman and Red Dead Redemption 2. That's the game I wanna play.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » November 20th, 2018, 11:50 pm

I don't know what this game is but I need to play it

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 26th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Now playing AC: Black Flag, almost ready. Will than go to playing Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey. Also planning to play RDR and RDR2 and maybe also Horizons: Zero Dawn. And also need to finish The Last of Us. More games that have to be played.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » November 26th, 2018, 4:17 pm

The Last of Us is definitely worth finishing.

I am paying RDR2 and Spider-Man. RDR2 is quite good but the sometimes the controls really frustrate me. Who thought it would be a good idea to make the "talk to people" and "aim your gun" button the same?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 5th, 2018, 8:13 am

The Switch is currently on sale and I’m considering getting one. I want it mainly for the Pokemon Let’s Go game and the new Pokemon RPG coming out next year, as well as the usual suspects of Super Mario and the upcoming Animal Crossing. Anyone got one and have any thoughts? Worth getting? Any other good games?

I’ve also just dusted off my PS3 to play the first Red Dead Redemption as I played it for like 30 mins 5 years ago and have been wanting to give it another chance. My boyfriend and housemate loved RDR2 so I’m working my way up to that.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 5th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Super Mario on the switch is excellent, although the difficulty definitely ramps up if you're one of those people obsessed with getting all the stars, etc.
Zelda Breath of the Wild is also excellent. Holistically it feels more self-consistent to me, and not just a bunch of puzzles loosely tied together.

I am not a pokemon fan so I really cannot comment on anything about those games, although I did play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon before and I liked that more than the "traditional" pokemon games. Presumably if you like the previous iterations, you'll like the new one too, though.