Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 21st), 1954 awards (Jun 30th), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: A tanú, July nominations (Jun 28th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

weirdboy
Donator

What game(s) are you playing now?

Post by weirdboy » September 28th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Agreed that Oblivion sucks. Worst of the Elder Scrolls. I'd rather run around getting stuck in impossible-to-complete quests and falling through the map in Daggerfall than play the weary grind of all those pointless oblivion gates again.

I am currently paralyzed by Witcher 3. I am basically sick of playing it, but loathe to switch to another game because I know I probably will never come back and finish it if I do.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 30th, 2017, 3:14 pm

My bf and I have been playing Minecraft together for the last few days and it's annoyingly addictive. I did play it for a bit when it first came out until I crashed my boat and lost my place and gave up lol, but it's much more fun with someone else. We've been focused on developing our house and base and farm which took a while to build, but it's pretty cool.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » September 30th, 2017, 10:59 pm

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » October 1st, 2017, 2:54 am

I ended up with a SNES Classic. I have yet to decide if I'm going to open it and play games, or sell it.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 28th, 2017, 9:14 am

I finished the first one! Guess what's for credits! Awesome :woot:

It's not in the remastered version so that's one reason to play this version. Buuuut control over ships in the old version really lacking, and it looks like the new version has more interface.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » October 31st, 2017, 7:28 am

Dragon Quest Builders
Grand Kingdom

both fun imo

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » November 27th, 2017, 7:14 am

Currently playing Fallout 4 (love the gameplay, but miss the New Vegas fun, the "story" in 4 is embarrassing.They should just let Obsidian do that aspect of the games.),

Also playing Mario Odyssey which is beyond great and I also got Skyrim for the Switch because I never played it and wanted something like Fallout on the go. I only played it on the plane the other day, but it made a 2h trip feel like 5 minutes.

Also extremely disappointed in the Animal Crossing phone game, so much so that I had to start a new AC:New Leaf game to wash the aftertaste.

I now officially hate not playing a game on the Switch, because it has allowed me to play games on a completely different level. I just hope developers keep releasing my backlog on it.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » December 11th, 2017, 4:23 am

Probably old news by now, but I really recommend playing or watching a let's play of Doki Doki Literature Club. A truly special game / visual novel. Read as little as possible about it on beforehand!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 11th, 2017, 9:19 am

Kay, I'll add it to the neverending list
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » December 11th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Lilarcor on Dec 10 2017, 09:23:52 PM wrote:Probably old news by now, but I really recommend playing or watching a let's play of Doki Doki Literature Club. A truly special game / visual novel. Read as little as possible about it on beforehand!
Watched a let's play. Not really worth the long build up tbh. This visual novel looks more interesting

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 26th, 2017, 10:13 am

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 27th, 2017, 4:03 pm

A few days ago my wife casually brought up Nintendo Switch out of the blue and mentioned how much fun Splatoon looked when she saw someone playing it at her friend's house.

I took the hint, and got her one for Christmas.

Set it up last night, and watching her try to play the instructional level of Splatoon 2 took me back to my childhood of watching my grandparents try to play video games. She simply could not grasp the controls. This is a woman who literally grew up playing NES and SNES, and had no trouble with other stuff like Katamari Damacy. But she gave up on Splatoon 2 without even finishing the intro level.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 27th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Coming from the NES/SNES era, those analogue joysticks aren't that easy to get used to. I had the same problem after a long Nintendo hiatus, going from the SNES to the Wii. I still prefer the classic 4-point controls over the analogue sticks. Something like Splatoon, which is quite aim-heavy isn't the best game to get into it either. Then again, if she played PS games she should be used to this sticks already, so not sure what the problems are exactly.

I love the Switch controllers, especially in fully detached mode.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » December 27th, 2017, 7:14 pm

weirdboy on Dec 27 2017, 09:03:15 AM wrote:A few days ago my wife casually brought up Nintendo Switch out of the blue and mentioned how much fun Splatoon looked when she saw someone playing it at her friend's house.

I took the hint, and got her one for Christmas.

Set it up last night, and watching her try to play the instructional level of Splatoon 2 took me back to my childhood of watching my grandparents try to play video games. She simply could not grasp the controls. This is a woman who literally grew up playing NES and SNES, and had no trouble with other stuff like Katamari Damacy. But she gave up on Splatoon 2 without even finishing the intro level.
Top games on Switch for me so far

Breath of the Wild
Stardew Valley
Mario Odyssey
Steamworld Dig 2
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Mario Kart Deluxe

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 27th, 2017, 7:32 pm

And if you're into JRPGs, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (the first one was pure bliss). Also Fast RMX is great if you're looking for an F-Zero alternative.
Last edited by Onderhond on December 27th, 2017, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 31st, 2017, 5:16 am

My better half has started playing Super Mario Odyssey, which is fantastic, and she's doing a bit better with the controls. I have already finished the main game portion, and am now working on all the additional moons and levels and whatnot.

I am hopeful that after she has spent some more time in Super Mario, she will be able to go back and play Splatoon successfully.

I have also started on Zelda Breath of the Wild, and it's quite a departure from the previous incarnations, but still quite good so far. However, I am not too keen on the mechanic of the weapons breaking so often, as it's sort of ridiculous that I can only swing a club half a dozen times before it is destroyed.

I have had mixed results with JRPGs. Sometimes they grab me, and sometimes not. My wife is definitely anti-RPG so I probably won't be picking one up any time soon. However, Mario Kart is a likely near future purchase. Stardew Valley would also be attractive, but I already have it on Steam.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 31st, 2017, 5:17 am

FWIW, I will definitely pick up Ni no Kuni 2 when that comes out.

And my wife loves the Layton games, so hopefully they release one for Switch soon.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 31st, 2017, 6:18 pm

Dungeon Keeper mostly, will do level 17/20
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 31st, 2017, 7:56 pm

weirdboy on Dec 30 2017, 10:16:14 PM wrote:I have also started on Zelda Breath of the Wild, and it's quite a departure from the previous incarnations, but still quite good so far. However, I am not too keen on the mechanic of the weapons breaking so often, as it's sort of ridiculous that I can only swing a club half a dozen times before it is destroyed.
They do break quickly, on the other hand there are plenty of weapons and it does push you to look for different approaches. You can accomplish a lot more if you don't rely on battling only.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » December 31st, 2017, 8:00 pm

I did finally beat Breath of the Wild recently actually. It's pretty great. Probably just me but Zelda in this game kind of reminded me of Grimes.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » January 1st, 2018, 4:51 am

Ok. VR looks great

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 1st, 2018, 6:50 am

Just finished A boy and his Blob. The controls are a bit clunky and finicky in a few places but it has pretty good level design for a puzzle platformer and is, for the most part, forgiving enough to make up for the controls.

monk-time

Post by monk-time » January 3rd, 2018, 3:31 am

I don't play often, but the best games I've played in the last year were Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy and West of Loathing.

Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy is a very frustrating minimalist "platformer" meta-game from the creator of QWOP (which everyone probably has tried a long time ago at least for a minute). I honestly prefer to watch other people play it more than actually play it myself as I am not the kind of person who finds this type of challenges enjoyable, but I find the whole idea and realization incredible. I never thought that a fourth-wall-breaking voice-over narration can work so well in games.

And West of Loathing is a silly absurdist comedy RPG/adventure (of the kind where you spent 70% of time reading) in the Western setting. All game systems are very basic and paired down, but the writing is so good (here's a sample of it at 19:41 about spittoons). I recommend it especially if you like Monty Python and puns.
Last edited by monk-time on January 3rd, 2018, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICM profile | My userscripts for IMDb/iCM | iCheckMovies Enhanced by themagician: call it direct, call it collect, but CALL IT TODAY!

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » January 3rd, 2018, 3:48 am

weirdboy on Dec 30 2017, 10:16:14 PM wrote:My better half has started playing Super Mario Odyssey, which is fantastic, and she's doing a bit better with the controls. I have already finished the main game portion, and am now working on all the additional moons and levels and whatnot.

I am hopeful that after she has spent some more time in Super Mario, she will be able to go back and play Splatoon successfully.

I have also started on Zelda Breath of the Wild, and it's quite a departure from the previous incarnations, but still quite good so far. However, I am not too keen on the mechanic of the weapons breaking so often, as it's sort of ridiculous that I can only swing a club half a dozen times before it is destroyed.

I have had mixed results with JRPGs. Sometimes they grab me, and sometimes not. My wife is definitely anti-RPG so I probably won't be picking one up any time soon. However, Mario Kart is a likely near future purchase. Stardew Valley would also be attractive, but I already have it on Steam.
The weapon thing in Breath of the Wild is fine once you get your weapon menu bigger, by the end of the game you will always have way more weapons then you need.

I just 100% finished Mario Odyssey with 880 moons. Some were quite challenging but I had a blast. The one I hate the most is the jump rope, because it's so tedious. I got to 51 jumps legit and then looked it up and saw there was a glitch you could get to just freeze Mario over the rope. The glitch might be harder to trigger than the actual jumping 100 times, but it was way more fun then doing it. Took me about 30 minutes to trigger it.

Some of the Dark Side of the Moon scarecrow challenges are pretty tough and of course the final moon Darker Side is a real tough cookie, but once you memorize each segment it's doable.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » January 5th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Between Halloween and Christmas I've managed to finish The Evil Within and The Evil Within 2. I quite liked the latter and found it much better. The narrative was engaging and the villains really great, especially Valentino.

Now, I'm currently playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. It's been fun exploring Prague but can't seem to grab me as Human Revolution did. The latter is a fav of mine.

Anyway, I spotted a funny easter egg from my childhood:

The name is actually Zoltar but the first thing that occured to me when I saw that was "I wish I was BIG!". The next morning I wasn't Tom Hanks though..

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » January 11th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Game rec of the day: Steamworld Dig 2, phenomenal indie game.

micmacs

Post by micmacs » January 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Mostly PoE this last couple of months.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 1st, 2018, 2:26 am

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 3rd, 2018, 11:51 pm

I'm doing Arcanum, #5 on RPGCodex list

(finished Dungeon Keeper and Bastion earlier)
Last edited by Armoreska on February 3rd, 2018, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 15th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Anyone still playing Words With Friends (2)? Hard to find people who play :( add mightysparks if you want to play with meeeeee.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » February 26th, 2018, 6:20 pm

So, my friends bought me Monster Hunter World for my birthday.
They alos bought me a voucher for a mountain and hiking shop and a hiking guide for the nearest mountain range.

I guess they don't want to see me that often in the future? :think: ;)
Last edited by metaller on February 26th, 2018, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 4th, 2018, 2:28 pm

metaller on Feb 26 2018, 11:20:41 AM wrote:So, my friends bought me Monster Hunter World for my birthday.
They alos bought me a voucher for a mountain and hiking shop and a hiking guide for the nearest mountain range.

I guess they don't want to see me that often in the future? :think: ;)
:lol:

Finished Arcanum which caused me to quit watching movies for a few weeks. Another interesting but largely flawed true-RPG. It has a steampunk edge, so it was a must for me. 6 down*, 4 to go on the Codex list.

*includes the two Fallout games that I had to resort to watching on YouTube because of the 1st's time limit and the 2nd's save file corruption (even though it was fairly early in the game, I don't restart)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 19th, 2018, 9:40 am

I've gotten back into oldschool Runescape recently lol. I first started playing Runescape in 2004 (first time I used the username 'mightysparks'), became a member 2-4 weeks later and played it pretty regularly for about 2 years. I started a new account on oldschool and have to start from the beginning which is frustrating because I had done most of the quests and things like that. I still remember most of the map, I think I spent more time in this world than any other game world, and I still remembered where certain things were and which cities had banks etc. I can't play games for very long because my hands get sore after a while and the click-intensive nature means I don't last long. I can't really binge play it but it's ok because it's nice to just play for 30-60 minutes for a break between homework and just do a bit of skilling or a quest or something. I'm itching to get membership because all my favourite skills and places are member's only and so many quests argh. But it's so expensive. I'm trying to hold off until I graduate/get a full time job but idk.

I like it coz of stuff like, yesterday I was doing a quest and I needed a redberry pie, so I got the things I needed and went to make the pie but realised I needed level 10 cooking and I was level 8. So I killed some chickens for a while (lvl up hp and atk) and collected their bones (to lvl up prayer), feathers (for arrows) and the meat (for cooking) and eventually leveled up and made my pie and did the quest. I like the grind and all the other things you can do in the mean time, like working on 3-4 skills at once even if just gathering materials and stuff. I wish the new Runescape wasn't really lame but it's like classic Runescape is always preserved how it should be I suppose - the grand exchange didn't exist when I first played and you had to buy and haggle in chat which I always got my brother to do for me, so I'm happy the GE is there even if it's not 'original' RS. My bro had also been playing again over the last few months and gave me a few things to boost me along, just like old times lol.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 19th, 2018, 10:12 am

oooh man I remember playing circa '01-'02. We used to play it at school as well. Took forever to do anything on dial-up tho lol. click wait wait wait oh there it goes click wait wait wait

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 19th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Oh no, brings back memories. Runescape is great, I think I played from 2007-ish to 2011-ish. I reckon it contributed quite well to my learning of English. I got to a fairly advanced state (and also had membership for the second half of my playing time), I was close to beating the final boss from the second Grandmaster quest. A shame, it's probably impossible for me to log-in to that account anymore, it might've been worth something (though if I actually knew my nic and password I'd obviously never think of selling it).

Fuck it, I'm going to join you on the nostalgia trip and make a new OldSchool Runescape account (so glad they made this mode happen). I remember most locations well too, but it's going to be a delight exploring them again.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 19th, 2018, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 19th, 2018, 3:00 pm

Carmel1379 on May 19 2018, 06:50:21 AM wrote:...

Fuck it, I'm going to join you on the nostalgia trip and make a new OldSchool Runescape account (so glad they made this mode happen). I remember most locations well too, but it's going to be a delight exploring them again.
Eh, it's not fun when you start from 0. Was nice to listen to the music again though.

Hope I can somehow locate my old account, but that's probably impossible.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 19th, 2018, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 19th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Carmel1379 on May 19 2018, 09:00:58 AM wrote:
Carmel1379 on May 19 2018, 06:50:21 AM wrote:...

Eh, it's not fun when you start from 0. Was nice to listen to the music again though.

Hope I can somehow locate my old account, but that's probably impossible.
Yeah it's frustrating starting from scratch. I remembered most of the quests that I had to redo and I already know the skilling 'tricks', or at least the things I used to do, so it's like argh I've got to do all this hard work AGAIN, but it's also been so long that it's kind of nice starting from scratch in some ways. I played on mute most times I played because I listen to my own music, but Medieval was always my fave tune.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 29th, 2018, 3:39 am

Still playing and enjoying OS Runescape. I set up a second monitor so I could play RS on one screen and do homework on the other screen and being able to play and work at the same time has greatly increased my productivity. Bit slower doing the homework, but I get more done. And I can do the slow grind-y RS stuff without getting bored. I reaaaaaaaaaaalllllllly want membership and I'm probably going to get it, even just for a month or so, once I finish my last assessment of the semester. I wish I could catch up to my old account already, but it's going to take forever. I'm combat level 25 at the moment, working on getting all my skills to level 20 (very close!), then 30 and so on. Once I get membership I'll probably start working on skills for quests. So excited for more quests!

My original account: http://services.runescape.com/m=hiscore ... ghtysparks

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 29th, 2018, 4:34 am

Bard's Tale IV is nearing release later this year, so lately I've been replaying through the original 80's Bard's Tale. It's a bit more grindy than I remember, but it also doesn't require a lot of attention in the grindy parts.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 5th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Been playing Frostpunk the last few days and really enjoying it. I was playing an idle browser game that was kind of similar and then came across Frostpunk which is like a better, harder version. After playing about 5-6 games, I just beat the first scenario. I really like resource management stuff so yea I really like this.