Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

wasabi

Re: What game(s) are you playing now?

Post by wasabi » July 7th, 2020, 2:34 pm

AC updated the system, now players can scuba diving and catch underwater creatures: pearl, seaweed, crabs etc. It must be fun to do scuba diving in winter. :D

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 11th, 2020, 5:14 am

900 korok seeds. more like 9 billion.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 11th, 2020, 7:00 am

funkybusiness wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 5:14 am
Crazy how many you just walked by without even knowing they were there, right? :D
I never went to the trouble to collect them all, but I liked how many were in plain sight but still very much hidden.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 11th, 2020, 8:03 am

Onderhond wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 7:00 am
funkybusiness wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 5:14 am
Crazy how many you just walked by without even knowing they were there, right? :D
I never went to the trouble to collect them all, but I liked how many were in plain sight but still very much hidden.
yeah and then there are some really obtuse ones. I have no idea how they expected anyone to complete it without using a guide or the internet. the dlc korok mask doesn't really work.
and I ended up with 899 and couldn't figure out where I had made an error. I did find it eventually. It was one of those around Death Mountain where there's one on top of every rock.

Getting 100% on the map was much more enjoyable (although the 900 korok seeds are a part of that). Closely scanning over the map, finding bridges and ruins and SUPER-SECRET hot springs. My last area to find was, hilariously, the last bridge along the way to Zora's Domain, because when initially going there, I just hiked up the mountain and paraglided in.

There's a dlc feature where you can see a green line that's the path you've taken throughout the game and there are still areas I haven't been, somehow.

Just the Trial of the Sword and a couple outfit upgrades and I've 100%'d the whole game!

I'd be interested in starting a new game (Master Mode, so my 100% file doesn't get erased. seriously, why can you only have one save file? just lemme use up more storage space, I've got a microsd card!) and seeing how much of the world can you explore just by walking/riding a horse on the roads. There are a ton of them, all over the map, but I rarely used them because I'd just teleport and paraglide constantly. It'd also be interesting to see if there any sort of perceptible design to it all, like a planned route or something.
Last edited by funkybusiness on July 11th, 2020, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 11th, 2020, 8:04 am

Oh and I hope I never have to chuck a rock into a ring of rocks in a river ever again.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 11th, 2020, 9:01 am

funkybusiness wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 8:03 am
There's a dlc feature where you can see a green line that's the path you've taken throughout the game and there are still areas I haven't been, somehow.
Yeah, when I got that I was stunned how many places I hadn't visited yet, even though I felt I had covered the entire map already. Absolutely loved that game, but I'm not going to 100% it. I will get the sequel as soon as it's available though :)
funkybusiness wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 8:04 am
Oh and I hope I never have to chuck a rock into a ring of rocks in a river ever again.
Glad I'm not the only one who completely sucked at that :D

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 14th, 2020, 7:54 am

I finished Last of Us II yesterday. My bf was playing on the hardest difficulty but was well ahead of me for most of the game (I always play normal because I am noob). He kept bugging me to play so we could discuss it, but it didn't grab me until one point the other day and then I pushed past my sore thumb to fly through it because it was all I could think about. I was pretty excited for the first game and was the reason I bought my PS3, but I didn't quite love the game. I don't remember it much now, but I think the second one was a big improvement (though flawed) and my favourite of the two. The main story was kind of blah, the characters and dialogue and 'journeys' were kind of generic, but the world-building is still fantastic and the level design and gameplay is really varied and interesting and I had a lot of fun.

I found Ellie really dull in the first game and she was no better here. The companion character was awful and their relationship was lame, I couldn't have cared less about either of them. I thought it was interesting how many female characters were in this game, though I struggled to tell the difference between their voices. I thought all the voice acting was good, but I just couldn't tell the difference between anyone.

ENDGAME STORY SPOILERSShow
And when Dina revealed she was pregnant at the most inopportune time it was just a big eyeroll. I was annoyed at how many useless pregnant idiots were in this game and I was pissed off they let her live.

When you first get to Seattle, I really liked the open level design. The game does a good job at going between open world and linear progression, as well as mixing it up with puzzles, exploration, scavenging and combat. But it gets REALLY good at the halfway point when things get switched up.

MAJOR GAMEPLAY AND STORY SPOILERSShow
When the game switches to Abby's perspective halfway through, I was pretty hooked. Abby, her story and her world were so much more interesting than Ellie's. While I preferred Ellie's weapons and combat styles, I much preferred Abby's part of the game. Learning about the WLF and the Scars was cool too.

I thought it did a good job at making Abby likable after being the main villain for the game up to that point, but it also just helped me get more put off Ellie. So when we switch back to Ellie and see how wonderful her life was and her STILL wanting her dumb revenge I had already given up on her and didn't care. The two characters were very similar in certain ways (both had their fathers/father figure killed by the other/Joel, each had a useless pregnant friend and a kind of 'love triangle', both were out for revenge. But they were so dumb. Abby kills Joel right in front of Ellie and is shocked when Ellie comes after her? The revenge stuff seemed a bit thin for both of them, but I was totally sick of Ellie by the end of the game and just wanted her dead.

The end was a bit disappointing and basically what you'd expect for that kind of story (where you're rooting for both people to live/die, Freddy vs Jason etc), where everyone lives and goes off into their ambiguous futures, but it was anticlimactic to me. Especially after this great section with Abby with the bridge, hotel, hospital, island stuff only to just kind of fizzle out.

But overall, I liked it a lot and recommend if you liked the first game or have any interest at all in it. I don't normally like the big action games like this, but solid stuff.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 18th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Lately I've been playing Planet Zoo. Tycoon/resource management games are my favourite genre of game, and I think this is a very welcome update to the zoo tycoon type of game. I used to play Zoo Tycoon around 2004 and loved it, but all the sequels and rip-offs haven't really come close. Parkasaurus was very good, but I prefer real animals over dinosaurs so Planet Zoo is nice for providing this fix. The freedom of building and stuff is a little cumbersome at times and some management gets a bit repetitive or confusing, but overall I'm enjoying it a lot.

I also grabbed The Escapists 2 for free on Epic Games Store and have played a little with my boyfriend. I suck at it though. He's been playing with his brother and they just dug out of a bunch of prisons, so we're trying to avoid digging our way out. I find it hard just because it's so open (as with my park freedom complaint above, I like things a little more structured and linear to total sandbox) and I just don't know what to craft or what skills to work on or what I should be looking for to try and escape. Just gonna take more practice, really, but it's quite enjoyable to play with another person.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 22nd, 2020, 2:56 am

that was a good one dude.

while the tunes were rad, I can't imagine listening to that looped for hours.

I was thinking of playing through the N64 catalogue. maybe. start with Pilotwings, work my way forward. see how long I can last before the jank-ass controls murder me.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » July 22nd, 2020, 10:29 pm

"I would like the publisher to issue a statement as to why the sword is the wrong way round"

she's definitely a gamer.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 23rd, 2020, 7:40 am

That is just too adorable :D

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 4th, 2020, 6:02 am

got huge backlog on ps plus games that i havevent played, starting with rise of tomb raider. not a fan of fps due to my very poor aiming skills and i get too tense and panicky i guess but will see

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 4th, 2020, 7:54 am

I also started Rise of the Tomb Raider the other day for the same reason. I didn’t get that far but I enjoyed the first game. I’ve also been playing SWTOR and ESO because I felt like a free non-addictive MMO to chill out with. They’re both ok but frustrating as a free player.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 4th, 2020, 8:19 am

ESO is non addictive? It's the only MMO I've ever played and all the collecting and grinding and crafting is really bad for my ocd tendencies.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 4th, 2020, 8:23 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 8:19 am
ESO is non addictive? It's the only MMO I've ever played and all the collecting and grinding and crafting is really bad for my ocd tendencies.
Runescape is the only MMO I find addictive. I don't really get fully absorbed into 'normal' MMOs and I can easily stop playing ESO/WoW/etc and leave them for ages. Completing the zones is pretty good fun though.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 4th, 2020, 9:05 am

That's what I thought I'd do when I got it. "I'll just play it as a single player game" but the limited time garbage keeps sucking me in. At least it's not getting any sub money. A sub MMO would kill me so I stay away from that.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 4th, 2020, 11:44 am

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 11:28 am
This article made me so fucking mad

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/3/213524 ... k-good-bad
It's just one dude's opinion.

I don't agree with it either, mainly the impact he thinks all of this has on society's issues is crazy, but if he wants more b&w morality, he is free to feel that way.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 4th, 2020, 11:47 am

The problem with opinion pieces if that it's placed on a platform. That platform is affected by what articles they place, even if it's someone else's opinion. It practically gives the implication that they agree with that opinion.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 4th, 2020, 11:56 am

Oh, I absolutely agree. In paper publications this effect was mitigated because it usually featured the guy's profile picture and opinion pieces had their own "design". On websites though, there's just a dumb/hardly visible tag "opinion" that separates it from real news. Polygon makes it even worse by not including the opinion tag in the social share snippets.

Digital publications should be way more careful with opinion pieces, but they know very well it's this kind of flammable content that generates clicks (and thus ad revenue). They're clearly not going to stop posting them, so I fear it's just up to the readers to shrug and take them for what they are: just one person's opinion.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 4th, 2020, 5:45 pm

August 4th, 2020, 11:28 am
This article made me so fucking mad

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/3/213524 ... k-good-bad
The biggest problem is just how badly written it is. Despite the headers there's no flow to the writing, every paragraph is its own thing, strung together through tangents. By the end I have no idea what the author thinks good and bad even mean in this context. It doesn't sound like they actually want more black and white story telling, but rather a different kind of morally gray storytelling where, instead of the main characters being grey, the characters have clarity of vision but the world around them presents them with grey situations they have to fit into their worldview. There's plenty of popular media like that, and plenty of it gets praised as morally complex too, so I don't know what the complaint is. It's just filler by someone who doesn't understand what subjective morality even means and reads like a C+ second year essay.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 4th, 2020, 5:47 pm

It's just someone who doesn't like grey morality in characters and is looking (or grasping) for reasons why there should be even less of it. it also explains the somewhat incoherent nature of the article.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 4th, 2020, 6:47 pm

Objective morality is literally a far right Christian talking point.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 4th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Under all that mess there was a borderline good point about how some games - I'm thinking of Far Cry 4 - use the camo of "moral ambiguity" to create a false equivalency between an oppressor and the oppressed ("if the oppressed use violence to achieve their goals, even if they're being violently terrorized, they must be just as bad!"). Before it got washed away in a hazy sea of of generalizations, self contradictions, and nonsense arguments anyway.

Sadly not even close to the worst bad take Polygon has published. For instance, their "article" accusing the extremely anti-fascist and anti-racist Attack on Titan of being fascist and, bizarrely, anti-Semitic.

Peter...is your social worker in that horse?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 4th, 2020, 10:10 pm

August 4th, 2020, 6:47 pm
Objective morality is literally a far right Christian talking point.
The concept of objective morality is much broader than that. Most religions believe in objective morality, and most adherents do regardless of political views. Complaining about relativism is right wing christian talking point.

That said, even under a framework of objective black and white morality where every moral action is either correct or incorrect, people are still fallible and imperfect and grey. People all across the political spectrum agree that good people can do bad things and bad people can do good things. The differences are in which actions are correct and which are incorrect, and then about how they judge those people, which actions are forgivable and under what conditions etc. Even in the most demonizing views of an opposition where every positive public action is a Machiavellian plot in service of ultimate evil the individual actions are still good. Conversely, relativism does not mean that anything goes. You can be a relativist and still have a moral code and still judge others morally, the difference is in the weight you think that judgement carries and where it comes from.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » August 4th, 2020, 10:27 pm

I find that abortion is enough proof that morality is subjective. Both the pro-choice and pro-life people think their view is the moral one.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 4th, 2020, 10:27 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 7:29 pm
Sadly not even close to the worst bad take Polygon has published. For instance, their "article" accusing the extremely anti-fascist and anti-racist Attack on Titan of being fascist and, bizarrely, anti-Semitic.
Not even an "opinion" tag there it seems. But yeah, that was a clear highlight.

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » August 5th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Do we have fans here of the Stalker series? I am tentatively excited for the upcoming Stalker 2.

I wish they kept using their self-developed ambitious and quirky X-ray engine instead of Unreal but a lot has changed since the release of Call of Pripyat. As far as I know big chunk of the original team has went on to make Metro series but I read they have managed to retain some of the core people.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 5th, 2020, 4:47 pm

I've played the first and third games, they're classics. My experience of the third game is defined by the opening minutes, where I spawned into an apocalyptic hellscape, then walked up to an NPC nearby and started talking to him. (For some context, when you talk to an NPC you zoom in and go into a windowed screen with different talking/trading options, like an Elder Rings game or Fallout 3/4. Keep this in mind.)

While talking to me, a mutant dog leapt from the side of the screen and killed him, and another one immediately killed me in one hit. Game over.

10/10. :cheers:

Peter...is your social worker in that horse?

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » August 5th, 2020, 6:27 pm

I have played Shadow of Chernobyl, most likely the hardest game I have played on a normal setting. In Scrolls and Fallout games, when you engage with
an NPC in a similar difficulty setting, the gaming world halts until you settle the affairs but it isn't so in Stalker so you need to evaluate and make your decisions rather quicker. While playing SOC I had constant difficulty to keep my ammunition still available by the end of missions even though I paid much attention on how I use them and spent extensive resources to load up before starting the missions. I managed to finish many missions by just making a run for it when the situation allowed.

The game has a very passionate modding community comparable to that those of ES and Mount and Blade series. The open sourced edition of the X-ray
engine, which can be found here at https://github.com/OpenXRay, allows people to still carve up interesting setups even after the last official iteration to the engine was over a decade ago.