Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

What game(s) are you playing now?

funkybusiness
Donator

Re: What game(s) are you playing now?

Post by funkybusiness » May 13th, 2020, 3:48 am

Timmy & Tommy are selling a hamster in a cage today...

and Flurry's in the shop. (D:)

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 14th, 2020, 2:44 pm

I was planning to play the next classic blindspot (Fallout) alongside continuing Twilight Princess. However, I found out that Blizzard cancelled a Warcraft game that's available in a fan restoration. I assume that would make a good review?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 14th, 2020, 9:13 pm

I didn't know a video game character could be so hot :lol: might have to get the game

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 17th, 2020, 2:05 am

The LEGO Ninjago Movie Game is totally free (no Gold or PS Plus necessary) on Xbox One and PS4 until the 21st of this month. I picked it up and have enjoyed playing it on mute this afternoon, as mindless background entertainment while I check out music. The LEGO franchise is perfect for that kind of fun.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 17th, 2020, 5:01 am

kongs_speech wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 2:05 am
The LEGO Ninjago Movie Game is totally free (no Gold or PS Plus necessary) on Xbox One and PS4 until the 21st of this month. I picked it up and have enjoyed playing it on mute this afternoon, as mindless background entertainment while I check out music. The LEGO franchise is perfect for that kind of fun.
Also on steam

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 17th, 2020, 5:27 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 5:01 am
kongs_speech wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 2:05 am
Also on steam
Oh nice, that's cool for people who use that as their primary gaming platform. Honestly, I forget that Steam exists. I'm a lifelong console gamer. I used to dabble in Runescape, and I played Roller Coaster Tycoon for a few hours one day as a kid before my dad made me uninstall it because I couldn't convince him it wasn't a virus. That's the extent of my PC gaming history.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 17th, 2020, 4:34 pm

I finished Woodfall Temple in Majora's Mask. Not a good dungeon, imo. Hopefully the later dungeons are better. Apparently the first dungeon is the worst, according to a poll that I just found, so that's a little bit reassuring. I think I'll finish at least one more dungeon and then I'll decide if I want to continue.

I don't like the deku mask. It takes too long to take it on/off, like the iron boots from the water temple, but even worse. I also don't like the jumping from flowers. If I remember correctly, the flowers were the reason I quit the game the first time I tried it.

I still don't like the timer. If I use the inverted song of time, then I have enough time to explore, but just the knowledge that I'm being timed makes it more stressful. Also having to wait for a certain time of day is annoying.

sebby

Post by sebby » May 20th, 2020, 11:07 pm

Have spent most of the last 3-4 years of gaming catching up on AAA titles like Horizon and the like. Now looking for platformers and metroidvania games from that same time period to play when I take breaks from my Stardew Valley life. Hollow Knight, Celeste, The Messenger, and Chasm are currently hot on my radar. Anything else you guys want to recommend?

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 21st, 2020, 3:46 am

sebby wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 11:07 pm
Have spent most of the last 3-4 years of gaming catching up on AAA titles like Horizon and the like. Now looking for platformers and metroidvania games from that same time period to play when I take breaks from my Stardew Valley life. Hollow Knight, Celeste, The Messenger, and Chasm are currently hot on my radar. Anything else you guys want to recommend?
Maybe Terraria? It's not exactly metroidvania per se, but a cross between that and Minecraft. It is very fun though.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 21st, 2020, 4:33 pm

Civilization 6 is free in the epic games store

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 24th, 2020, 11:48 pm

I finished Majora's Mask today.

I'm not sure what to play next. I've browsed various lists of great games, but a lot of popular games don't look interesting to me (judging by videos). Does anyone have recommendations for me, based on my favorites?

Here are my favorites, ranked:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario 64
Chrono Trigger
Banjo Kazooie
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Donkey Kong Country 3
Paper Mario

To summarize: I like Zelda games, Mario games, and Donkey Kong Country games. You don't need to recommend other games from these three series, because I already know about them. I excluded racing games from the list, but I also like Mario Kart games and Diddy Kong Racing. I don't have many RPGs on my list because I'm not a fan of turn-based fighting, but I liked Chrono Trigger.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'll probably play Final Fantasy VI in the future, and possibly Secret of Mana (using the scroll hack). I've tried Terranigma, Seiken Densetsu 3, and Super Mario RPG, but I didn't like them enough to finish them.

I've seen videos of various Mega Man, Metroid, and Castlevania games, but they don't look very interesting to me.

All of my favorites are Nintendo games, but I wouldn't mind some non-Nintendo recommendations. I also wouldn't mind recommendations from other genres, if you think there's a good genre that I haven't tried yet.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 25th, 2020, 12:17 am

if you play thru FF6, try out a couple patches with it. They get rid of a few annoying aspects of the original game.
There's a patch for Gau, who is the best character but no one ever uses him because the only way he can learn skills is through this arduous process. He's basically the classic Blue Mage, where you learn skills from monsters, but the process involves going to a specific location in the middle of nowhere, and hoping the right monster shows up, and then Gau leaves your party and then you have to wait for him to show back up and hope he's learned the new skill. This patch makes it so he can learn skills anywhere.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1371/

the other patch is for Cyan's sword tech. Without the patch, you have to just wait for it to power up and you can't do anything while it's loading, and the higher levels of the skill take longer and longer to load. This patch lets you load his tech in the background, allowing you to control the rest of your party while it does so.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/995/

there's also the "Ted Woolsey Uncensored" translation patch, which restores a lot of the original content cut for the US release due to either censorship or otherwise. It's got bugfixes and patches applied as well.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/

I'm not sure if you can use all three simultaneously.
At the very least, you can use the top two together without any problems.

have much experience with tactical RPGs?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 25th, 2020, 12:23 am

Oh and Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are two of the greatest games ever. Super Metroid might bug you with the control set-up (which you can change). but Castlevania SotN is simply the best. I don't know of anyone who doesn't like it. It's not super long, maybe 10-ish hours, but it's got a ton of replayability. There's a ton of hidden stuff, and minutia that can change a playthru. I find it an extremely satisfying game.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 25th, 2020, 12:51 am

funkybusiness wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 12:17 am
there's also the "Ted Woolsey Uncensored" translation patch, which restores a lot of the original content cut for the US release due to either censorship or otherwise. It's got bugfixes and patches applied as well.
I'm not sure if I want to use an unofficial translation (even if it's better than the official one), because it might be confusing if I want to look things up online.
funkybusiness wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 12:17 am
have much experience with tactical RPGs?
No, I don't think I've ever played one. Which one would you recommend?
funkybusiness wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 12:23 am
Oh and Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are two of the greatest games ever. Super Metroid might bug you with the control set-up (which you can change). but Castlevania SotN is simply the best. I don't know of anyone who doesn't like it. It's not super long, maybe 10-ish hours, but it's got a ton of replayability. There's a ton of hidden stuff, and minutia that can change a playthru. I find it an extremely satisfying game.
The visuals look a little bit monotonous to me (compared to DKC2 for example), but I might give Castlevania SotN a try. Maybe I'll change my mind when I start playing it.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 25th, 2020, 1:24 am

Do you like puzzles? You might like marvelous another treasure island.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 25th, 2020, 1:58 am

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:24 am
I like some types of puzzles, but I don't have much experience with puzzle video games.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 25th, 2020, 2:56 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:58 am
I like some types of puzzles, but I don't have much experience with puzzle video games.
It's just that Eiji Aonuma made it and I think it uses the same engine as a link to the past

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 25th, 2020, 3:10 am

re: FF6 translation, I think the re-names are mostly taken from the GBA version, and the caves of narshe walkthrough has both snes and gba naming schemes available, click on the thing on the left to change: https://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff6/walkthrough.php

Tactical RPGs: Final Fantasy Tactics seems to be the first tactical for a lot of people, probably because of the brand. It's really good, but very different from the usual Final Fantasy experience. I was really turned off as a child by how different it was and it wasn't until years later that I came back and actually enjoyed it.
There are a few bugs and annoying elements in the original US release. But there's a patch! https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4508/

Another "first tactical" for people was Advance Wars on the GBA. It's fun and quite good for a GBA RPG but can be pretty simple compared to other titles in the genre. and some people swear by it but I wasn't a fan of the sequel.
I haven't played it but Wargroove is a newer game, quite acclaimed and very much styled after Advance Wars.

The Fire Emblem series has enjoyed increasing popularity over the last few years/titles. The DS, 3DS and Switch titles are all excellent, combining elements of visual novels, dating sims, Game of Thrones-esque historical fantasy novels and traditional elements from tactical RPGs (which the series basically originated anyway, at least, in Japan). The interesting element that separates it from your typical tactical rpg is that characters have perma-death. As in, once they're dead, you cannot revive them. at all. So you really have to think through the whole "tactics" element. Starting with the 3DS titles, they added an easy mode, disabling perma-death, I guess to make it not so intimidating to newcomers.
The SNES titles are often overlooked but are my favorites besides Three Houses. Hardcore fans usually vote Genealogy of the Holy War, the middle SNES title, the best game in the series.

I'm playing Disgaea 5 Complete at the moment. It's like a tactical RPG on some crazy steroid from a cyberpunk novel. You start with a handful of Unique characters and then build your own characters from generic classes (typical of the genre) but the game doesn't really begin until after you beat the story mode. and then there's two more story modes after that. and the level cap is 9,999. and damage is in the billions and billions. And you can "reincarnate" your characters so they can build up stats from every particular type of class with stat bonuses, building and stacking stats, getting more and more over-the-top, it's kind of like the whole spiraling theme from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, do you know that one? Where eventually your characters are as strong as super clusters and use galaxies as weapons. Eventually you can unlock fine tuning of experience shares, item drops, mana gains, everything is completely customizable down to the sclera on your characters' sprites. It's insane. You can even go inside individual items, generating a random dungeon-crawler-esque element of the game, basically a game within the game, whereby you can level up your individual items. There's also a board game similar to Dragon Quest's Pachisi/T'n'T boards for individual character stat boosting. The plot is annoyingly shounen anime japanese and the english voice-over cast is typical anime bad, which could be a major turn-off for most people, but beyond that it's incredible.

Other popular or acclaimed games/series are Valkyria Chronicles (kind of modern war but with a fantasy anime twist), Front Mission (mecha), Tactics Ogre (very influential on Final Fantasy Tactics, just looking at the games you'd think FFT was a spin-off of TO), XCOM (sci-fi military, rather than fantasy-based). Fell Seal is a newer one that looks good but I haven't tried it yet.

Most of these are japanese-developed. I haven't played much in the way of western tactical rpgs.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 25th, 2020, 6:09 am

I played Castlevania SotN for about an hour. I'm not sure if I'll continue, but so far I'm a little bit bored.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » May 25th, 2020, 6:27 am

mjf314 wrote:
If you like puzzle ... have you tried "the witness" ?

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » Yesterday, 1:39 am

I was also going to mention Advance Wars. It is a very good intro to that sort of game and quite fun.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » Yesterday, 2:54 am

Had my first 'snow fall' of the year in Animal Crossing. Accompanied by Christmas music.. um ok. I also acquired another villager who'll be moving in in a few days:

She was too cute to resist
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » Yesterday, 3:01 am

I finally got Angus to leave and then he was followed by Peggy... uuuuugggh...

I've got design paralysis. There are too many things I can do that I can't decide what actually to do. so my island looks terrible at the moment.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » Yesterday, 3:06 am

I was going to redesign everything but I decided to just make a couple of minor changes instead. My island is basically done terraforming wise but I'm still trying to breed flowers and collect decorative items so it's still messy.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » Yesterday, 3:14 am

It took me 5 weeks to get a single black rose. five weeks!

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » Yesterday, 3:24 am

Yea I’ve been doing em for ages and I have about 7 I think. I’m still waiting for a purple hyacinth...

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » Yesterday, 4:12 pm

Not gonna lie A Link to the Past aged so much better than Ocarina of Time. It's still amazing of course, but its technical issues stick out like a sore thumb.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » Yesterday, 4:52 pm

Yesterday, 4:12 pm
Not gonna lie A Link to the Past aged so much better than Ocarina of Time. It's still amazing of course, but its technical issues stick out like a sore thumb.
By technical issues, do you mean the 3D? Or something else?

When I played Majora's Mask, I found the 3D annoying (especially in dungeons), because it was too hard to see everything.

It's been a long time since I played Ocarina of Time, but I don't remember it being as annoying as Majora's Mask. Maybe the dungeons were designed better.

In A Link to the Past, it's easy to see everything, but it still has (sort of) 3D dungeons, because there are multiple floors. So it has the advantages of 3D without the disadvantages.

I think Ocarina of Time has a better story, but story isn't the main focus anyway, so overall I prefer A Link to the Past.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » Yesterday, 5:03 pm

I've noticed that there's issues with the z-targeting, and like what you said too.

I had a moment where I tried to do something out of order to waste time. Basically going to the graveyard because I didn't make it to hyrule castle before night time (I knew there was a shield there). It was a waste of time because I was missing zelda's lullaby, but then an incident of bad event triggering happened when I did that.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » Yesterday, 5:09 pm

Yesterday, 5:03 pm
I've noticed that there's issues with the z-targeting, and like what you said too.

I had a moment where I tried to do something out of order to waste time. Basically going to the graveyard because I didn't make it to hyrule castle before night time (I knew there was a shield there). It was a waste of time because I was missing zelda's lullaby, but then an incident of bad event triggering happened when I did that.
Do modern games do it better? I don't have much experience with modern games, so I'm not sure if they have something similar to z-targeting.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » Yesterday, 5:20 pm

I am playing Twilight Princess now at the same time and it does a better job with it. Don't remember the others.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » Yesterday, 6:50 pm

Tim2460 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:27 am
mjf314 wrote:
If you like puzzle ... have you tried "the witness" ?
No. Thanks for the recommendation.

The only puzzle video games that I've played are some flash games, but none of them were very memorable.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » Yesterday, 10:28 pm

I will say that I was wrong about one thing on my original Zelda review. I said that Ocarina of Time is just as obtuse. This was only something in retrospect, with seeing people on YouTube complain a lot about this too. Ocarina of Time is actually very straightforward. They tell you the general area, and just talking to one or two people in the area will be enough to tell you the next step. It's definitely not as obtuse as Wind Waker. Getting to the wind and earth temples requires a large scavenger hunt with no hints except for the first step (a god is angry and makes whirlpools).

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » Today, 4:33 am

I haven't played Wind Waker in a while, but I bought it basically the day it came out and finished it very quickly without ever looking at any sort of guide or internet, etc. I have no recollection of any issues encountered finding the next place to go. However I do seem to remember that I found it extremely useful to refer to the map that came with the game, which you may not have had.