Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

The National

mightysparks
Site Admin

The National

Post by mightysparks » November 9th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Cherry Tree is one of the weakest although All The Wine and About Today are great :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » November 9th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Cherry Tree is not one of the weakest.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 9th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Lies
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 12th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Concert is tomorrow :) Haven't been to a concert since OMD in May, so it'll be nice to get out again. Not a ibg fan of the set list, but I'm sure it'll be awesome anyways.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » November 12th, 2013, 2:04 pm

mightysparks on Nov 12 2013, 06:53:04 AM wrote:Concert is tomorrow :) Haven't been to a concert since OMD in May, so it'll be nice to get out again. Not a ibg fan of the set list, but I'm sure it'll be awesome anyways.
a couple of my friends are also going tomorrow. say hi if you see them :P

lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste » November 12th, 2013, 3:04 pm

I'm still unsure if I'll see them on the 21st. Enjoy the concert! They haven't been playing as much from Alligator/Cherry Tree as they used to, so you will most likely enjoy the setlist

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 12th, 2013, 3:19 pm

But Alligator is my favourite album...

lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste » November 13th, 2013, 12:59 am

aha I mixed your National tastes up with somebody else's. :facepalm: You're like me, then. I'm dying to go anyway.
Last edited by lampadatriste on November 13th, 2013, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 13th, 2013, 1:01 am

Well, I'm a little all over the place. Alligator and High Violet are my favourite albums, but Trouble Will Find Me and Sad Songs are my least faves :P Still, I can't imagine it not being awesome, soo...

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » November 13th, 2013, 1:11 am

lampadatriste on Nov 12 2013, 05:59:50 PM wrote:aha I mixed your National tastes up with somebody else's. :facepalm: You're like me, then. I'm dying to go anyway.
I'm more similar to you in terms of my ranking of their albums.

It was great to see them live in Toronto but I'd love to see them play more of their early stuff as their setlist is very much dominated by more recent albums.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » November 13th, 2013, 1:18 am

Did a quick check of their setlist for the recent gig in Manchester:

Trouble Will Find Me-10
High Violet-7
Boxer-5
Alligator-1
Sad Songs-2
The National-0

Very much dominated by the last three albums clearly. Really glad I got to hear About Today when I went.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 13th, 2013, 6:37 pm

I'm leaving in a few mins coz I wanna eat and stuff beforehand. Starving. Anyone heard of the supporting band, This is the Kit?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 13th, 2013, 7:50 pm

I wish someone had told me that 'doors open at 6.30' meant waiting outside in the cold until 6.30 :'(

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » November 13th, 2013, 8:10 pm

mightysparks on Nov 13 2013, 12:50:21 PM wrote:I wish someone had told me that 'doors open at 6.30' meant waiting outside in the cold until 6.30 :'(
did you expect some kind of heated waiting room outside the venue tehe

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » November 13th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Why did you turn up so early if the doors don't open until 6:30?

I would never turn up when the doors open. Always a lot of waiting around and the main band aren't normally on until about 9PM.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 13th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Because I was going to eat first... They finally let us in and now there's more queuing. Doors to stage area not opening til 7. Ergh. I wish I had people to go to these things with. Bored now and don't wanna leave queue to give bag to coat room.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » November 13th, 2013, 8:19 pm

If you're going by yourself then it's never a good idea to go early. I'd have gone for like 7:30-8pm. If you're going with people then obviously it doesn't matter when you turn up.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 13th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Yeah but the supporting band is on at 7.30 or something and I wanted to eat and be lining up by 6.30. I'm always early for stuff I can't help it.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 13th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Why so these things never start on time ergh. Been standing at stage for 20 mins waiting. Only two rows of people between me as stage though.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 14th, 2013, 2:41 am

Finally home. Oh god it feels so good to be in silence and sitting down, haha. These things take all my energy, I swear. I seemed to be lining up, waiting for most of the night. The venue:

I got there at 5.45pm-ish, and we got into the stage area at 7pm-ish, and then the supporting band didn't get on until 7.30-ish. They were really boring, which was annoying coz they almost put me to sleep. They were 'good', just dull. Anyway, because I was lining up for so long I was right near the front of the stage. I had an annoying tall-ish guy sort of in front of me to the side blocking my view of Matt a lot of the time. But this was my view:

And about 6 songs in, these 2 drunk girls pushed their way in behind me (I stood my ground and wouldn't let them get past me) and they kept bouncing around squealing like idiots for most of the night and pushing us all. A girl in front of me noticed me getting annoyed and asked if I was ok and if I wanted her to get the security guard but I said it was ok. Later the supervisor people were handing out cups of water and I kept trying to get one but other people grabbed them, then the girl grabbed one and gave it to me having noticed I kept getting ignored. She was awesome whoever she was.

I was kinda surprised by the lack of energy in the crowd (except for maybe during Mr November). When I went to OMD, I assumed it was gonna be a pretty laid-back gig, but Andy was jumping all over the stage, the crowd didn't stop moving and dancing and shouting. But everyone here was just blehhh. The National were still great, but it was a very different atmosphere. Also found myself liking a few of the songs a lot more than I did before. During Terrible Love, Matt came down and leaned into the audience shaking people's hands and letting them touch him, so I touched his arm :lol:

I recorded literally a few seconds of two of the songs (so I had a little bit of a selection for my 'one second a day' project), but here's a taste:

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » November 14th, 2013, 2:52 am

maybe something about that venue. I saw the Pixies there and the crowd was dead as well.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 14th, 2013, 3:32 am

mightysparks on Nov 13 2013, 07:41:27 PM wrote:I stood my ground
I'm glad you're not in most of the United States. I don't think you'd wear murder well.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 14th, 2013, 3:37 am

When they first started pushing I gave them a hard shove back but then I thought 'I don't want to get kicked out' so I just pretended I was a brick wall and refused to budge :P

lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste » November 14th, 2013, 4:22 am

It's a common thing in indie rock circles, crowds like to stand still even in moments when any normal person would feel like dancing. The Dismemberment Plan have a song about that called 'The standing still' or something. I try to ignore it and dance anyway. The National is usually not like that over here, though. Everyone moves. It sounds like Terrible Love is the new Mr. November :D In the Tom Berninger's documentary Matt crosses a theatre and sings some of it in the lobby. I've seen him walk over nice leather chairs in Mr November too.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 14th, 2013, 12:08 pm

During Mr November he went to the other side of the stage, so I guess he decided to split it. I never dance and I was glad they weren't dancing, but it's just there didn't seem to be energy at all. Might've just been the style of music as you said, but it was just weird.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 29th, 2013, 8:20 pm

If you somehow needed another reason to watch Bob's Burgers:
'Bob's Burgers' animates The National singing Thanksgiving song 'Sailors in Your Mouth'

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 20th, 2014, 10:06 pm

I've been listening to them again after a break (I'd listened to them too much and had to have a break eventually).

Not too long ago the tickets went on sale for The National in my city. I only found out about it a few days later and they had sold out by that point (other than restricted view seats). The capacity is pretty small for this place. Something like 2800. I'm hoping to get one on Ebay closer to the time. The gig isn't until July. Would be pretty disappointed to miss out on it.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » May 21st, 2019, 5:16 pm

Listening again for first time in a long time. I haven't even listened to the last two albums at all yet. Any thoughts on them? I always gravitate towards their older music but want to give the later stuff a chance.