Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)
World Cup S4: Manager sign-up

What album did you last buy?

Gershwin
Donator

What album did you last buy?

Post by Gershwin » November 18th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Dammit, where do you find Beatles vinyl albums? Well, stupid question. In Wales, I take from your post. But in Holland you pay at least 20 fucking euros per record. It's impossible to find them in thriftstores. <_<
Last edited by Gershwin on November 18th, 2013, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 18th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Gershwin on Nov 18 2013, 07:21:49 AM wrote:Dammit, where do you find Beatles vinyl albums? Well, stupid question. In Wales, I take from your post. But in Holland you pay at least 20 fucking euros per record. It's impossible to find them in thriftstores. <_<
I always bought stuff like that on koninginnedag for a few bucks.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » November 18th, 2013, 6:42 pm

So did I, but during the last five years vinyl has become way too popular to find these gems. Vinyl is simply hot among hipsters. Now you have to be lucky if you find some third class stuff like an Alan Parsons Project album or The Very Best of Dolly Parton for the same amount. Damn hipsters with their retro fetishes! But I can't blame them. ^_^
RokP 250

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 18th, 2013, 8:54 pm

What's wrong with Alan Parsons Project? :(

Another example of vinyl being hip. A while ago I sold some records on marktplaats (Dutch ebay). Two records by some shitty metal band from the 80's were very popular. :shrug:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
That band was called Anvil. I didn't know then there was a movie about them. :lol:
ICM-profile

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » November 18th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Oh, I have seven APP records in my collection and I like to play them once in a while, but it's just not top-of-the-box in my book. Could be in my top 500 of favourite bands, but not in my top 50, you see?
And you should definitely check out that film. It's hilarious!
RokP 250

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 18th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Gershwin on Nov 18 2013, 02:48:03 PM wrote:
And you should definitely check out that film. It's hilarious!
Of course, I've seen it in the meantime. It's fantastic. Indeed hilarious, but also touching.
ICM-profile

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » November 19th, 2013, 1:16 am

Gershwin on Nov 18 2013, 11:42:42 AM wrote:some third class stuff like an Alan Parsons Project
:verymad:
"Tales of Mystery and Imagination" is certainly not "third class stuff"... I would put it in my Top 50. One should respect Parsons also for his outstanding engineering work on "Abbey Road" and "Dark Side of the Moon", which are arguably among the best albums by both bands. And of course we should not underestimate the input by Woolfson, who some consider to be the actual mastermind behind their best work. But I do agree that their catalogue has been rather uneven and a lot of the material is rather weak, especially towards the late 80ies.
Last edited by bal3x on November 19th, 2013, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » November 19th, 2013, 1:24 am

You could be right about that individual album, but I was indeed talking about their complete catalogue, and a top 50 of bands, not single records. Agreed? :P
RokP 250

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » November 19th, 2013, 1:32 am

Gershwin on Nov 18 2013, 06:24:58 PM wrote:You could be right about that individual album, but I was indeed talking about their complete catalogue, and a top 50 of bands, not single records. Agreed? :P
Much better, Sir! :thumbsup:
btw, I suggest to check out their last collaboration (well, there's debate it's actually a Parsons Project album or an Woolfson solo effort):

schwrz

Post by schwrz » November 27th, 2013, 6:06 am

Navio Forge &#8206;– As We Quietly Burn A Hole Into... (1993 LP)

Last edited by schwrz on November 29th, 2013, 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jgwr

Post by jgwr » November 27th, 2013, 11:48 am

The new Hendrix live CD (1968 Miami Pop Festival), which I never read anything about so it came as quite a surprise.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » November 28th, 2013, 1:29 am

And how about it? Is it good, or great?

I've bought four jazz LPs this afternoon:
  • Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
  • The Modern Jazz Quartet - Fontessa
  • Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt - Jug and Sonny
  • Coleman Hawkins - Night Hawk
RokP 250

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » November 28th, 2013, 2:28 am

Jazz snob eat shit.

I've been meaning to listen to Fontessa for a while. Never heard of Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt before :( the album Boss Tenors looks good. And Coleman Hawkins is obviously great, but I only listened to Body and Soul. Miles Davis is obviously awesome too.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » November 28th, 2013, 2:51 am

Most older jazz is obviously great. :happy:

I didn't have any idea about Stitt or Ammons till quite recently, but I stumbled upon an original Verve record with Stitt a year ago, and he's got a really nice tone. Hard bop, but a bit more smooth than you'd expect.

And I once bought a Hawkins record from the late 40s and it was actually a big band bootleg, nothing spectacular, but his studio records are great indeed.

Modern Jazz Quartet is a bit of unexplored territory for me, but I liked the few minutes I heard before buying and I know they're loved by the critics.

And Miles, yeah, well, it's Miles indeed.
Last edited by Gershwin on November 28th, 2013, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RokP 250

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 19th, 2013, 11:21 pm

I ordered 5 cd's today:

Ayreon - The theory of everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD3dNfKhso0

In Mourning - The weight of oceans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pomE3y2x ... 4346FA741C

Persefone - Spiritual migration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upv6_4WT6hY

Die Anarchistische Abentunterhaltung - Eight definitions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Mc2GhNxhc

Venus in Flames - Funeral dancer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGOyZb-n7E0
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 24th, 2014, 9:26 pm

I just ordered the new Transatlantic album!! :circle:
Going to the concert on March the 14th!! :woot:
ICM-profile

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 25th, 2014, 12:46 am

Last edited by XxXApathy420XxX on February 25th, 2014, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 27th, 2014, 7:26 pm

:woot:

Vanden Plas - Chronicles of the immortals - Netherworld (path one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSCb2-f ... E0eCzyLiyL
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 28th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Zita Swoon Group - New old world

Hitsville Drunks - Sincerely average
(new band of Mauro Pawlowski, member of dEUS)

ICM-profile

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 28th, 2014, 7:56 pm

My most recent buy is Amithaba Buddha - Myself in the Mirror, but that was about eight months ago. Fortunately Koningsdag and its flea market is approaching. :thumbsup:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 11th, 2014, 10:10 am

Today arrived in the mail:

Incura - Incura

I read a review describing it as "Queen meets Devin Townsend" and that description fits pretty fine. A lot of people hate high male voices, but I'm really loving this.
some samplesShow

Destrage - Are you kidding me? No.

How many genre can you stuff into one album? Listen to Destrage and count for yourself.
some samplesShow

ICM-profile

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 11th, 2014, 10:36 am

You had me when you wrote "Queen", but honestly I can't see much similarity with Freddie Mercury's voice. He sounds more like someone like Jared Leto.

Edit: but Destrage sounds quite nice. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Gershwin on April 11th, 2014, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RokP 250

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 11th, 2014, 10:43 am

I agree his voice doesn't remind me of Freddie. It sounds more like our own Robby Valentine (one of my musical guilty pleasures :whistling: ).
ICM-profile

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 11th, 2014, 11:09 am

Sendai - A Smaller Divide

Nice blend of IDM and Techno influences. Local guys so happy to support them.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 11th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Rainbow - Long Live Rock'n'Roll.

Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 12th, 2014, 12:31 am

I heard of Destrage before. There is quite a bit of genre hopping avant-garde metal music but it usually comes across as gimmicky. Igorrr is an exception to me cause it's fun in a very silly way. The chicken solo at 2:05 is legendary. I also loved how he managed to get the band Mayhem to play over brostep

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 27th, 2014, 7:37 pm

I bought these at the flea market yesterday. :happy:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

monty

Post by monty » April 28th, 2014, 1:19 am

Finally got this breathtakingly beautiful record:

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 28th, 2014, 1:32 am

Found this on vinyl for $1. The record is dusty as fuck but no scratches.

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » April 28th, 2014, 1:35 am

AdamH on Feb 15 2013, 12:00:57 PM wrote:I never buy any albums anymore nor do I illegally download. Pay for Spotify (which is legal). Love it.
Been waiting to pounce on one of these types of services for eons, but most of my listening is underground. No, not in counter-cultural, bohemian dens, but in the New York subway, where there generally is no reception to speak of (unlike some other cities/countries where they actually have wifi in the underground transit because they care about the public good).

This makes my choice of services a bit tricky, as I think a lot of them require wifi contact, no? Or could I "download" albums onto my phone in advance with such systems? (I've heard conflicting things over the years.)

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 28th, 2014, 1:45 am

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Apr 27 2014, 07:35:51 PM wrote:
AdamH on Feb 15 2013, 12:00:57 PM wrote:I never buy any albums anymore nor do I illegally download. Pay for Spotify (which is legal). Love it.
Been waiting to pounce on one of these types of services for eons, but most of my listening is underground. No, not in counter-cultural, bohemian dens, but in the New York subway, where there generally is no reception to speak of (unlike some other cities/countries where they actually have wifi in the underground transit because they care about the public good).

This makes my choice of services a bit tricky, as I think a lot of them require wifi contact, no? Or could I "download" albums onto my phone in advance with such systems? (I've heard conflicting things over the years.)
I'm almost certain Google Music offers offline listening. "Download" and listen whenever.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 28th, 2014, 6:15 am

ArthurYanthar on Apr 27 2014, 07:32:44 PM wrote:Found this on vinyl for $1. The record is dusty as fuck but no scratches.

Ha! Got that one too. It's great! Especially the toccata is very gently executed.

By the way, the labels of mine are on the wrong sides (a on b and b on a). How's that with yours?
RokP 250

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 3rd, 2014, 8:54 pm

I just ordered three cd's. I don't expect a lot of you would know any of these bands. Maybe some of our Belgian members?

Benny Zen - Go Out and Love the People

Gruppo Di Pawlowski - Neutral Village Massacre

Black Cassette - CIRCO

ICM-profile

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » May 3rd, 2014, 9:36 pm

Chilton

Post by Chilton » May 3rd, 2014, 11:24 pm

joachimt on May 3 2014, 02:54:42 PM wrote:I just ordered three cd's. I don't expect a lot of you would know any of these bands. Maybe some of our Belgian members?

Black Cassette - CIRCO
Mauro Pawlowski is one of my favourite artists! :cheers: Probably one of the most active too, he's been in dozens of bands, all worth checking out :D You probably already know about dEUS and Evil Superstars, but I'm guessing you'd also like The Love Substitutes and Kiss My Jazz, which are more experimental.
Neutral Village Massacre is already his second album of the year btw, after Sincerely Average with the Hitsville Drunks, his 'poppy' band, also worth checking out.

Benny Zen I know because of the singer's last band Nemo, Bicycle Called Love is a pretty well-known song.

Never heard of Black Cassette, also Belgian? Probably yes, since the video was obviously shot here :D
Last edited by Chilton on May 3rd, 2014, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 4th, 2014, 8:08 am

Chilton on May 3 2014, 05:24:44 PM wrote:
joachimt on May 3 2014, 02:54:42 PM wrote:I just ordered three cd's. I don't expect a lot of you would know any of these bands. Maybe some of our Belgian members?

Black Cassette - CIRCO
Mauro Pawlowski is one of my favourite artists! :cheers: Probably one of the most active too, he's been in dozens of bands, all worth checking out :D You probably already know about dEUS and Evil Superstars, but I'm guessing you'd also like The Love Substitutes and Kiss My Jazz, which are more experimental.
Neutral Village Massacre is already his second album of the year btw, after Sincerely Average with the Hitsville Drunks, his 'poppy' band, also worth checking out.

Benny Zen I know because of the singer's last band Nemo, Bicycle Called Love is a pretty well-known song.

Never heard of Black Cassette, also Belgian? Probably yes, since the video was obviously shot here :D
Deus
Evil Superstars
Love Substitutes
Kiss My Jazz
Hitsville Drunks
Nemo
Of course I know and love them all. You are talking to a huge fan of Belgian experimental music. :thumbsup:

So I'd like to add, that you should check out these, which you probably know already:
Rudy Trouvé Septet
DAAU
Dead Man Ray
Flowers for Breakfast
Mitsoobishy Jacson
Flat Earth Society
i H8 camera
Pasmans
Sukilove
etc...

Black Cassette is:
Sjoerd Bruil: Sukilove, Gruppo Di Pawlowski, Hitsville Drunks
Pascal Deweze: too much to mention, but you surely know him
Jeroen Stevens: Gruppo Di Pawlowski, DAAU, i H8 Camera
Hans Swolfs: ?
ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 4th, 2014, 8:15 am

Spotify on wrote:Spotify: Music for everyone
NA-AH! YOU LIE! :folded:
Last edited by Armoreska on May 4th, 2014, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 4th, 2014, 8:26 am

And you might be interested to hear, I'm a huge Mauro fan myself. I've got these on vinyl:

The Love Substitutes - The velvet sailor
Mauro Antonio Pawlowski - Secret guitar
Mauro Antonio Pawlowski - Untertanz
Mauro Pawlowski and the Grooms - Black Europa
Mauro Pawlowski - Original music from the performance Nieuwzwart

And a lot of other Belgian stuff...
ICM-profile

Chilton

Post by Chilton » May 5th, 2014, 2:25 am

joachimt on May 4 2014, 02:08:20 AM wrote:Deus
Evil Superstars
Love Substitutes
Kiss My Jazz
Hitsville Drunks
Nemo
Of course I know and love them all. You are talking to a huge fan of Belgian experimental music. :thumbsup:

So I'd like to add, that you should check out these, which you probably know already:
Rudy Trouvé Septet
DAAU
Dead Man Ray
Flowers for Breakfast
Mitsoobishy Jacson
Flat Earth Society
i H8 camera
Pasmans
Sukilove
etc...
Well, it's obvious you know more about it than I do :lol: I don't know if you like to go to concerts or where you live in the Netherlands, but you might be interested in De Brakke Grond in Amsterdam. They organize concerts of Belgian bands (and occasionally screenings of Flemish films) and I know Mauro Pawlowski played there once with Ramsey Nasr.

I believe you mentioned Flat Earth Society once earlier, so I had to look them up. Turns out some of the members work at the school I work as well :lol: Peter Vermeersch is a teacher here (on film music) and his students provide a soundtrack whenever we screen a silent movie. I haven't had the chance of meeting him though.

I've never heard of some of these bands (Pasmans, i H8 camera) but I surely will check them out. Thanks!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 5th, 2014, 7:36 am

Chilton on May 4 2014, 08:25:36 PM wrote:
joachimt on May 4 2014, 02:08:20 AM wrote:Deus
Evil Superstars
Love Substitutes
Kiss My Jazz
Hitsville Drunks
Nemo

Rudy Trouvé Septet
DAAU
Dead Man Ray
Flowers for Breakfast
Mitsoobishy Jacson
Flat Earth Society
i H8 camera
Pasmans
Sukilove
etc...
Well, it's obvious you know more about it than I do :lol: I don't know if you like to go to concerts or where you live in the Netherlands, but you might be interested in De Brakke Grond in Amsterdam. They organize concerts of Belgian bands (and occasionally screenings of Flemish films) and I know Mauro Pawlowski played there once with Ramsey Nasr.

I believe you mentioned Flat Earth Society once earlier, so I had to look them up. Turns out some of the members work at the school I work as well :lol: Peter Vermeersch is a teacher here (on film music) and his students provide a soundtrack whenever we screen a silent movie. I haven't had the chance of meeting him though.

I've never heard of some of these bands (Pasmans, i H8 camera) but I surely will check them out. Thanks!
OMG, you work with Peter Vermeersch? :woot:
He is an absolute genius!!!! His work with X-Legged Sally is amazing. "The land of the giant dwarfs" is one of my favorite Belgian albums ever. I've got all the Flat Earth Society albums as well as the two albums by A Group, great works also. I even got some more experimental classical stuff like "De oplosbare vis" and also his soundtrack for Lubitsch's "The Oyster Princess". Out of his early days, I've got Rosas Danst Rosas on vinyl.

Can you please do something for me? Can you ask him if he still has copies of the X-Legged Sally albums? These haven't been available for years. I've tried to track them down for more than 10 years and gave up a few years ago. I only got "The land of the giant dwarfs", "Immer das Selbe Gelogen" and "Bereft of a Blissful Union". So I really like to get my hands on:
Slow-Up (1991)
Killed By Charity (1993)
Eggs and Ashes (1994)
Fired (1996)

At this moment "Eggs and Ashes" is for sale on eBay, but it costs 65 euro. :(

I've been to De Brakke Grond twice I think. I've seen the Rudy Trouvé Septet there which was great. I think I'll join their newsletter again to see what comes up.

Back in 1997 I saw Rudy perform with the legendary Kiss My Jazz. It was in a very small concert basement in my hometown. I think there were 100 people, but only 25 of them were really interested in the music. After an hour Rudy got pissed off by the rest of the audience not paying attention. At least 30 people had their backs to the stage and were just drinking beer without minding the band. Rudy told the band to do an improvisation and left the stage. What followed was 20 minutes of mind-blowing experimental jazzrock for which Kiss My Jazz was famous. I'll never forget that night.

The smallest gig I ever was, was in the same basement. Pascal Deweze played there with Sukilove before the first album came out. The audience was only 10 people, but at the end of Sukilove I found out that 5 of them were actually the main band for that night. So only 5 people came to see Pascal that night. :( It was beautiful!
I can't remember the name of the main band. I left after three of their songs, because they sucked. :lol:
ICM-profile