Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

What album did you last buy?

joachimt
Donator

What album did you last buy?

Post by joachimt » February 15th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Like the "What movies did you last get?"-thread, here's one for albums. No illegal downloads, only legally bought (digital) albums.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 15th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Yesterday arrived in the mail:
Riverside - Shrine of new generation slaves :)
Dunderbeist - Songs of the buried
ICM-profile

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 15th, 2013, 6:57 pm

I've mentioned this on other threads, but: the House of 1000 Corpses soundtrack back in 2004 :D
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 15th, 2013, 7:00 pm

mightysparks on Feb 15 2013, 11:57:03 AM wrote:I've mentioned this on other threads, but: the House of 1000 Corpses soundtrack back in 2004 :D
Yeah, I knew this wasn't going to be your kind of thread. :D
ICM-profile

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » February 15th, 2013, 7:00 pm

I never buy any albums anymore nor do I illegally download. Pay for Spotify (which is legal). Love it.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » February 15th, 2013, 7:16 pm

I preordered the new Bowie album when it was announced.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 15th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Haven't bought much albums lately, already have a fairly large collection so there are space limitations, but my collection is mostly classic rock/prog.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 15th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Got a couple for Christmas - the new Willy Mason and the 'new' Radiohead (King of Limbs). also Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs. Will try and pick up the new Nick Cave at some point soon.

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » February 15th, 2013, 7:27 pm

I haven't bought much albums lately, but I've bought plenty of EPs. The last one is "The 95 Champ Street Sessions" (Theodore, Paul & Gabriel)
Image Image Image

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 15th, 2013, 7:28 pm

For Christmas I got Death Grips' The Money Store, Brain Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets, My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, Public Enemy's Apocalypse 91...The Enemy Strikes Black, and Andy Stott's Luxury Problems. I'm gonna order the Peter Brotzmann and Merzbow/Wolf Eyes/Richard Pinhas live albums that I attended back in 2011, and possibly Max Richter's remake of Vivaldi's Four Seasons and the Prison Songs compilation.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 15th, 2013, 7:38 pm

brokenface on Feb 15 2013, 12:21:18 PM wrote:Got a couple for Christmas - the new Willy Mason and the 'new' Radiohead (King of Limbs). also Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs. Will try and pick up the new Nick Cave at some point soon.
Today the Nick Cave concert went into presale. I really want to go, but don't know if I want to go alone. None of my friends listen to the same music as I do. :(
ICM-profile

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » February 15th, 2013, 7:40 pm

I had a dream last night that I had 6 Bowie tickets for a concert (all 500 dollars a pop) and I almost forgot to go and sell the other ones.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 15th, 2013, 7:40 pm

joachimt on Feb 15 2013, 12:38:49 PM wrote:None of my friends listen to the same music as I do. :(
hehe, the usual problem, right? ;) but don't worry, we're the cool weirdos :D

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 15th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Yea I go to local concerts alone cause I can't find anyone else. I do my best to hide my music taste from everyone (if you saw my list you know why). Last year one of my classmates somehow found out that my favorite artist is Kate Bush and said that her music is way too scary. If that's too scary for him then I hope he will never find out about the other music I hear or else he might think I'm some sadistic killer or something.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Sir Plebeian

Post by Sir Plebeian » February 15th, 2013, 7:53 pm

I finally got my hands on a vinyl copy of Dead Lovers' Sarabande by Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble Of Shadows. Have been looking for it for years.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 15th, 2013, 8:12 pm

ArthurYanthar on Feb 15 2013, 12:44:56 PM wrote:Yea I go to local concerts alone cause I can't find anyone else. I do my best to hide my music taste from everyone (if you saw my list you know why). Last year one of my classmates somehow found out that my favorite artist is Kate Bush and said that her music is way too scary. If that's too scary for him then I hope he will never find out about the other music I hear or else he might think I'm some sadistic killer or something.
haha, Kate Bush scary, that's a new one :lol:
yeah, it's great there are forums like these and music sites where people with similar tastes can discuss and share!

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » February 15th, 2013, 8:19 pm

I just bought Dropkick Murphys's last album Signed an Sealed in Blood, and Slipknot's Vol. 3

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 15th, 2013, 8:26 pm

I think the last album I physically purchased was Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes. Right before that was a 20 album Miles Davis boxset, I think. I don't buy many physical albums.

HVM

Post by HVM » February 15th, 2013, 8:33 pm

CD: 3/1/2007: The Clash - London Calling, Kate Bush - Never for Ever, Johnny Cash - The Essential Johnny Cash
LP: 2008ish: Johnny Cash - At San Quentin, The Doors - The Doors and a couple more I can't recollect.
1918 - 100 - 2018

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 15th, 2013, 9:08 pm

ArthurYanthar on Feb 15 2013, 12:44:56 PM wrote:Yea I go to local concerts alone cause I can't find anyone else. I do my best to hide my music taste from everyone (if you saw my list you know why). Last year one of my classmates somehow found out that my favorite artist is Kate Bush and said that her music is way too scary. If that's too scary for him then I hope he will never find out about the other music I hear or else he might think I'm some sadistic killer or something.
Are they actually concerts or do you just go to local building sites and factories and rock out to the harsh noise tehe

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 15th, 2013, 9:11 pm

joachimt on Feb 15 2013, 12:38:49 PM wrote:
brokenface on Feb 15 2013, 12:21:18 PM wrote:Got a couple for Christmas - the new Willy Mason and the 'new' Radiohead (King of Limbs). also Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs. Will try and pick up the new Nick Cave at some point soon.
Today the Nick Cave concert went into presale. I really want to go, but don't know if I want to go alone. None of my friends listen to the same music as I do. :(
Saw Bad Seeds touring Dig Lazarus Dig. Enjoyed it plenty, but I have to say Cave's voice is not so impressive live as on record. and with tickets over £40 I ain't gonna be going this time :pinch:

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » February 15th, 2013, 9:12 pm

brokenface on Feb 15 2013, 02:08:47 PM wrote:
Are they actually concerts or do you just go to local building sites and factories and rock out to the harsh noise tehe
I once went to a Faust concert in Paris, and they had put stuff in the room that made it smell like manure. They were literally drilling holes in metal barrels and sawing stuff. It was horrible, my friend and I left after 20 minutes.

And to think that the same venue had Arcade Fire when they weren't famous for 15 euros, and the concert ended on Wake Up and them going in the streets of Paris followed by the entire audience. I lived across the street at the time and was probably watching a movie...

:facepalm:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 15th, 2013, 9:13 pm

brokenface on Feb 15 2013, 02:11:52 PM wrote:
joachimt on Feb 15 2013, 12:38:49 PM wrote:
Saw Bad Seeds touring Dig Lazarus Dig. Enjoyed it plenty, but I have to say Cave's voice is not so impressive live as on record. and with tickets over £40 I ain't gonna be going this time :pinch:
Wanted to go during the Dig Lazarus Dig tour. They played one show in The Netherlands that time. Unfortunately that show was planned on the day of my wedding. My wife didn't like the idea of postponing the wedding. ;)
ICM-profile

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 15th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Kasparius on Feb 15 2013, 02:12:38 PM wrote:I once went to a Faust concert in Paris, and they had put stuff in the room that made it smell like manure. They were literally drilling holes in metal barrels and sawing stuff. It was horrible, my friend and I left after 20 minutes.

And to think that the same venue had Arcade Fire when they weren't famous for 15 euros, and the concert ended on Wake Up and them going in the streets of Paris followed by the entire audience. I lived across the street at the time and was probably watching a movie...

:facepalm:
I saw Arcade Fire in a pretty small venue in their first UK tour. v.good, though no breakout onto the streets of (I think) Bristol! The crowd was a big chin-strokey too-cool-to-dance though. Better at a festival that summer in a big tent when the whole crowd was into it.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 15th, 2013, 9:39 pm

HVM on Feb 15 2013, 01:33:42 PM wrote:CD: 3/1/2007: The Clash - London Calling, Kate Bush - Never for Ever, Johnny Cash - The Essential Johnny Cash
LP: 2008ish: Johnny Cash - At San Quentin, The Doors - The Doors and a couple more I can't recollect.
Good stuff :thumbsup:

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 15th, 2013, 9:59 pm

That's actually not a bad idea. And I'm not gonna lie but that Faust concert sounds good. There were 2 concerts in fimav 2011 that I regret not seeing. One of them was Tuvan Throat Singing and another one was one the members of Einstürzende Neubauten who was apparently rubbing rocks against a giant metal sheet.

I have only see 2 concerts that may count as harsh noise. One was Merzbow/Wolf Eyes/Richard Pinhas. It was funny because there was this elderly couple that most likely didn't know what they were going into and were covering their ears the whole time. The other one was this free jazz band called The Thing that played at the annual jazz fest here. At one point the drummer was scraping his cymbal to make this weird noisy sound and as soon as he did that at least half the crowd walked out.

Too bad there's a dry spell here for the past few months with concerts. I've been making a list of all the concerts I've seen: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/ArthurYan ... _seen_dead

Kasparius is lucky. But if I lived in New York I would go broke within a week with the amount of concerts that's happening there. I would the happiest man alive if I attended this:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 15th, 2013, 10:03 pm

ArthurYanthar on Feb 15 2013, 02:59:15 PM wrote:
That's actually not a bad idea. And I'm not gonna lie but that Faust concert sounds good. There were 2 concerts in fimav 2011 that I regret not seeing. One of them was Tuvan Throat Singing and another one was one the members of Einstürzende Neubauten who was apparently rubbing rocks against a giant metal sheet.

I have only see 2 concerts that may count as harsh noise. One was Merzbow/Wolf Eyes/Richard Pinhas. It was funny because there was this elderly couple that most likely didn't know what they were going into and were covering their ears the whole time. The other one was this free jazz band called The Thing that played at the annual jazz fest here. At one point the drummer was scraping his cymbal to make this weird noisy sound and as soon as he did that at least half the crowd walked out.

Too bad there's a dry spell here for the past few months with concerts. I've been making a list of all the concerts I've seen: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/ArthurYan ... _seen_dead

Kasparius is lucky. But if I lived in New York I would go broke within a week with the amount of concerts that's happening there. I would the happiest man alive if I attended this:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Jesus that's an interesting sound :satstunned:

seeing Venetian Snares was too much for me 'cause he's impossible to dance to. I don't even know what you do to that except run away from it very fast.

"another one was one the members of Einstürzende Neubauten who was apparently rubbing rocks against a giant metal sheet."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LarsC

Post by LarsC » February 15th, 2013, 11:49 pm

ArthurYanthar on Feb 15 2013, 02:59:15 PM wrote: I have only see 2 concerts that may count as harsh noise. One was Merzbow/Wolf Eyes/Richard Pinhas. It was funny because there was this elderly couple that most likely didn't know what they were going into and were covering their ears the whole time. The other one was this free jazz band called The Thing that played at the annual jazz fest here. At one point the drummer was scraping his cymbal to make this weird noisy sound and as soon as he did that at least half the crowd walked out.
I think I've been to two or three Merzbow concerts, if I'm ever going to another one I'll need those custom earplugs musicians use.
The Thing is one of those bands I never understand why people like so much, the same goes for most other projects by Paal Nilssen-Love and Mats Gustafsson. It's kinda weird because I like a lot of the other bands that are similar to The Thing.

To be more on topic; Today I bought these 12"s:

George Bailey

Post by George Bailey » February 17th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Bob Dylan - Blood on Tracks. Best album ever

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 9th, 2013, 1:50 pm

I ordered three cd's today:

New keepers of the water towers - The cosmic child
Heaven's basement - Filthy empire
IQ - Dark matter (finally, bal3x :thumbsup: )
ICM-profile

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » May 9th, 2013, 2:31 pm

joachimt on May 9 2013, 07:50:07 AM wrote:I ordered three cd's today:

New keepers of the water towers - The cosmic child
Heaven's basement - Filthy empire
IQ - Dark matter (finally, bal3x :thumbsup: )
:cheers:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 1st, 2013, 7:15 pm

I just ordered four cd's.

Leprous - Coal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OXSmM2zBwU

The Ocean - Pelagial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfZMTDcqKnQ

Rings of Saturn - Dingir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPe9OD9a0Qs

Affector - Harmageddon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmNTw3WpXbA
ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 1st, 2013, 8:02 pm

I think the last album I ever bought was before the Internet :lol:
Didn't take a note of what it was
edit: could be http://www.discogs.com/De-Phazz-Natural ... ter/273335
Last edited by Armoreska on July 1st, 2013, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 6th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Shall I buy this? :wub:

http://dreamtheater.warnerartists.net/e ... &u=4657111

I bought this kind of box the last two albums, but it's a lot of money.
ICM-profile

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » August 6th, 2013, 6:48 pm

joachimt on Aug 6 2013, 11:57:17 AM wrote:Shall I buy this? :wub:

I wouldn't pay 80 EUR for DT, but that's probably just me :lol: Mind you, I do have a number of sets, some of them cost more than that...
I don't think you should be asking such questions though, if you like their catalogue go for it, this is not a popularity contest, you should not be asking permission from folks to buy stuff :P
Last edited by bal3x on August 6th, 2013, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 6th, 2013, 6:53 pm

bal3x on Aug 6 2013, 12:48:36 PM wrote:

I wouldn't pay 80 EUR for DT, but that's probably just me :lol:
I don't think you should be asking such questions though, if you like their catalogue go for it, this is not a popularity contest, you should not be asking permission from folks to buy stuff :P
It was more like I was thinking out loud. ;)

I love DT. It was my introduction to metal (not an easy introduction, I know), when I was 14 or 15. A few years ago I wouldn't hesitate buying this, but now I do because...
1. ... I'm older and put things in perspective. What's the use of buying such a box, if I only listen to the regular CD?
2. ... such a box takes a lot of space. It's easier storing a normal sized CD (don't start about storing downloads :angry: ).
3. ... I feel my love for DT has decreased a little bit since Mike Portnoy left the band.

I'll think about it a few days...
ICM-profile

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » August 6th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Yeah, I understand the dilemma.. I've had this many times so I know :) I just guess eventually you need to make a decision and you must not regret it, it's always a stupid idea to regret your purchases. Just do it, enjoy it and move on. I've never been a big fan of DT myself, I do like a couple of their earlier albums, but really not a big fan of the band on the whole.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » August 6th, 2013, 7:11 pm

And I was wondering if I should spend 8 Euros on a Ben Webster L.P., this morning. :lol:

But I did:

RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » August 6th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Gershwin on Aug 6 2013, 01:11:49 PM wrote:And I was wondering if I should spend 8 Euros on a Ben Webster L.P., this morning. :lol:

But I did:

Now that's money well spent :thumbsup:
Last edited by bal3x on August 6th, 2013, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 6th, 2013, 7:19 pm

IMO Dream Theater is one of the worst bands ever, so I wouldn't buy that :P