Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 34 released August 1st: Get to Know the New Hosts
ICMForum Manager Cup signup
Polls: Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Results), 2020 (Aug 29th)
Challenges: <400, Korean, Action/Adventure

What game(s) are you playing now?

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

The puzzles after getting out of the room in 999 tend to be more structured and you will probably like those better. There are still a couple that are kind of crapshoots where you need to fail them once or twice in order to discover the behavior before you can apply actual reasoning to them, but mostly they are straight up logic puzzles.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Ok, thanks. I'll play it a little bit more to see if I like the other puzzles.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Would you like Gabriel Knight 2? Only one puzzle was like "wtf how am I supposed to get that?"
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 11:47 am Would you like Gabriel Knight 2? Only one puzzle was like "wtf how am I supposed to get that?"
I haven't played it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have very little experience with puzzle games, so it's hard to give examples of what i like.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I got one of the endings in 999 (but not the good ending), so I think I'll try to get the good ending next.

I like the story and the characters, but I'm still not a fan of the puzzles. Maybe 2 or 3 of the puzzles are interesting, but most of them are just lots of clicking and not much thinking.

Edit: I got the good ending.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

The fact that the average Zelda ranked video is like this is exactly why I wanna make my own as a passion project

mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 9:43 pm The fact that the average Zelda ranked video is like this is exactly why I wanna make my own as a passion project
This guy is clearly trolling.

"Actually I've played all of them except for the handheld ones" but he hasn't played A Link to the Past.
And apparently he thinks that The Wind Waker is the first open world Zelda game.

There are some more complete Zelda ranked videos on Youtube (but I didn't watch them, so I don't know which video is best):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1suyu9ynwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhIuQTJpjE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5lXKFTXedw
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I finished playing Portal today. Some of the puzzles are fun, but overall I think it's just ok.

I'm not really a fan of first-person perspective, since it's hard to see exactly where you are, which makes it hard to jump accurately.

It's hard to keep track of which direction is which when you go through portals.

In some parts you have to do something immediately after coming out of a portal, which is frustrating because the camera is usually facing the wrong way.

The turrets are annoying because it's hard to tell where you can walk without them seeing you.

In my first attempt at the final fight, I ran out of time and died. It automatically loaded a save where I had 3 seconds left on the clock, so I kept dying over and over, with no choice but to load an older save. It seems to me like poor design. It should restart from the beginning of the fight, or even better, they could've removed the timer.
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

mjf314 wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 5:16 am I finished playing Portal today. Some of the puzzles are fun, but overall I think it's just ok.

I'm not really a fan of first-person perspective, since it's hard to see exactly where you are, which makes it hard to jump accurately.

It's hard to keep track of which direction is which when you go through portals.

In some parts you have to do something immediately after coming out of a portal, which is frustrating because the camera is usually facing the wrong way.

The turrets are annoying because it's hard to tell where you can walk without them seeing you.

In my first attempt at the final fight, I ran out of time and died. It automatically loaded a save where I had 3 seconds left on the clock, so I kept dying over and over, with no choice but to load an older save. It seems to me like poor design. It should restart from the beginning of the fight, or even better, they could've removed the timer.
That or when sometimes the autosave is way far from the place you died :verymad:

I recommend Portal 2. It's much better and funnier.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

dirty_score wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 9:19 am I recommend Portal 2. It's much better and funnier.
Maybe another time, but I'm not in the mood for more Portal right now.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Blasphemy.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

monk-time

Post by monk-time »

Speaking of puzzles - I had a blast with Slipways, a board-gamey space puzzle/strategy game with a brilliant design that squeezes economic part of Civ/4x-type games into a compact one-hour experience with a unique twist.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

mjf314 wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 4:46 amThere are some more complete Zelda ranked videos on Youtube (but I didn't watch them, so I don't know which video is best):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1suyu9ynwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhIuQTJpjE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5lXKFTXedw
Yea those are the decent ones. I don't like how the third one ranks things though by separating their aspects instead of judging the whole experience, but whatever.

My ideas are my video are starting to flow now and it's gonna be weird lol. I'll start filming next month, but there will be an exclusive interview with an anonymous prisoner completely covered and with an altered voice, a mechanic, and a CEO explaining his company in the past few quarters.
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

dirty_score wrote: June 15th, 2021, 3:11 pm Since then, I've been a little busy cleaning the backlog that just keeps growing :sweat: .

Finished The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt plus 2 DLC's. To decompress from open world games, I went for platform: Lost Words Beyond the Page, a short game about grief, and Ori and the Will of the Wisps, which I ended enjoying less than the first. Moved to FPS and finished Wolfenstein: The New Order which prompt me to watch Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS since one of the characters is based on her. Changed gears to stealth and finished the Hitman World of Assassination Trilogy. Had a blast playing Detroit: Become Human (decision based games are my jam) and finally, since everyone is talking about Resident Evil Village, I went for Resident Evil 7 which is like a game version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Since I'm slowly working on the zombies list I decided to check out the second movie. I've returned to open world games and currently I'm playing Horizon: Zero Dawn.
So, new update. I didn't like Horizon: Zero Dawn so I rushed till the end. Pretty but shallow. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is a decent sequel where you can kick Hitler in the face. Also, Leni Riefenstahl makes a cameo. Finished back-to-back Resident Evil 2 (the good) Remake (Leon & Claire stories) and Resident Evil 3 (the bad) Remake.

Now I'm on a bad streak. Nier: Automata started crashing so I gave up (not a huge fan of hack-n-slashes though). Greedfall is the worst RPG I ever played. I can't play Bully because the game for PC is one hell of a mess. Spiritfarer seemed like an alright game but SIM games bore me to death (pun intended).

Can you guys pick the next game for me? Here's what I have on backlog: Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Borderlands 2, Death Stranding, Pathologic 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Visage.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Well I just finished Red Dead Redemption 2 and it's definitely one of my favorite games ever (despite me not liking RDR1 a whole lot). I now see why Arthur Morgan is one of the most beloved game characters ever. That's my recommendation, with the caveat that it's paced more slowly than most open world games and has detailed animations for most actions (though in the case of the longest animations, for looting bodies and gathering plants, you don't need to do much of either). Also, when you get to the later chapters of the game, you definitely want to track down all the "stranger quests" (side quests) you can as they are not only great, but some ultimately have a powerful impact on the main story.

I can't really speak to the others. I played a little of Borderlands 2 and got bored, but I'm not the target audience I guess.
mightysparks wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 9:41 amBlasphemy.
I know, right? :P The Portal games are the only fully "comedy" games that actually make me laugh out loud--even on repeat playthroughs.
Last edited by outdoorcats on July 5th, 2021, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

outdoorcats wrote: July 4th, 2021, 8:10 pm Well I just finished Red Dead Redemption 2 and it's definitely one of my favorite games ever (despite me not liking RDR1 a whole lot). I now see why Arthur Morgan is one of the most beloved game characters ever. That's my recommendation, with the caveat that it's paced more slowly than most open world games and has detailed animations for most actions (though in the case of the longest animations, for looting bodies and gathering plants, you don't need to do much of either). Also, when you get to the later chapters of the game, you definitely want to track down all the "stranger quests" (side quests) you can as they are not only great, but some ultimately have a powerful impact on the main story.

I can't really speak to the others. I played a little of Borderlands 2 and got bored, but I guess I'm not the target audience I guess.
I have a friend that keeps reminding me to play. Thanks, I'll take the suggestion. RDR2 will be! :guns:
tirefeet

Post by tirefeet »

Anyone dabbled with "Cruelty Squad"? It's ten percent off on Steam atm but I'm willing to hold off of it for awhile but it definitely interests me.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

outdoorcats wrote: July 4th, 2021, 8:10 pm
I know, right? :P The Portal games are the only fully "comedy" games that actually make me laugh out loud--even on repeat playthroughs.
I’ve done playthroughs where I just stand around to listen to ALL the dialogue, I can’t get enough. Nothing made me laugh harder than the ‘NO WAY’ bit in the first one. My boyfriend has never played them but started playing Portal 2 a while ago and he was rushing through cutting off dialogue and I was like wtf are you doing??

Plus if I’d never played them I might never have discovered Stephen Merchant :wub:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

mjf314 wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 5:16 am In some parts you have to do something immediately after coming out of a portal, which is frustrating because the camera is usually facing the wrong way.
There are no places where you need to do something immediately after coming out of a portal. You need to think more carefully about how the physics work in the game. Maybe take the tie to experiment a bit.
If the turret has line of sight to you, it can see you. There is a slight delay sometimes because it may be powered down or looking the other way, etc. That is a good thing because it means you can run across small areas where it can see you, but get back to cover before it will act.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

mightysparks wrote: July 5th, 2021, 12:17 am
outdoorcats wrote: July 4th, 2021, 8:10 pm
I’ve done playthroughs where I just stand around to listen to ALL the dialogue, I can’t get enough. Nothing made me laugh harder than the ‘NO WAY’ bit in the first one. My boyfriend has never played them but started playing Portal 2 a while ago and he was rushing through cutting off dialogue and I was like wtf are you doing??

Plus if I’d never played them I might never have discovered Stephen Merchant :wub:
Portal 2 is just a series of voice actors stealing the show from one another. First Ellen McClain (GLaDOS), then Merchant, then J.K. Simmons, then McClain again...comedic timing is a hill many prestigious, award-winning actors die on, and those three are masters of it. Of course, they have brilliant writing to work with as well.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I've seen complaints of RDR2 being too labourious but that sounds like a plus to me lol
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

It is genuinely one of the things I love about it. But then Satantango is one of my favorite movies.

Still, though, it has sold 37 million copies, from what I can see the 3nd most popular narrative (primarily) single-player game ever, so not too many people were dissuaded by the pacing.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I'm really loving Spirit Tracks so far tbh. Got no idea why it's so hated. The dungeon you repeat is actually different every time as you only have to redo floors if you wanna get items there. You have what might be the best companion, and the puzzles in the dungeon are extremely interesting. Even the train part is cool, but the possessed trains are more of a nuisance rather than anything because it just causes you to do detours.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I tried 2 more PS1 games.

I played Metal Gear Solid for about 30 minutes. I didn't enjoy it at all. I don't like the graphics, I don't like the physics, and I don't like the story.
I played Crash Bandicoot 3 for about 30 minutes. It was ok, but it just seems to me like a cheaper version of Super Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie. I don't think I'll finish it.

So my favorite PS1 game is still Castlevania: SotN.
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

mjf314 wrote: July 7th, 2021, 8:42 am I tried 2 more PS1 games.

I played Metal Gear Solid for about 30 minutes. I didn't enjoy it at all. I don't like the graphics, I don't like the physics, and I don't like the story.
I played Crash Bandicoot 3 for about 30 minutes. It was ok, but it just seems to me like a cheaper version of Super Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie. I don't think I'll finish it.

So my favorite PS1 game is still Castlevania: SotN.
It's a shame because MGS is one of my all time favorites but you can't honestly say you didn't like the story with just 30 minutes in. It starts to get going just before you get to the Psycho Mantis fight. Regarding the graphics, that's what they could cram up within the PS1 RAM but it's also partially Kojima's fault because he likes to make playable movies hence the long cutscenes. It was a revolutionary game at the time and I think you should you give it another try in the future.

I don't know if you're feeling the same but when I went through the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die last year I started to add a lot of the games to the backlog and then I was just rushing through them so I could "check" them as "I played this game" but I wasn't necessarily enjoying them which lead to some kind of burnout. It feels like there's so little time.

But now I'm more selective on which ones or which genre I like the most and I think I'll enjoy. I'm currently at 23% in RDR2 and I'm having fun, not GTA levels of fun, but to at least continue to push on unlike Horizon which I found myself bored from the get-go. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Have fun! :guns:

PS: Regarding Crash Bandicoot, I understand you, I had to rage quit the first two because I suck at platform games and they give me anxiety :P
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

dirty_score wrote: July 7th, 2021, 10:52 am It's a shame because MGS is one of my all time favorites but you can't honestly say you didn't like the story with just 30 minutes in. It starts to get going just before you get to the Psycho Mantis fight. Regarding the graphics, that's what they could cram up within the PS1 RAM but it's also partially Kojima's fault because he likes to make playable movies hence the long cutscenes. It was a revolutionary game at the time and I think you should you give it another try in the future.
If the story was my only complaint, I might have kept going, but there was nothing that I liked about it. I also didn't like the camera angles, and I didn't like the parts where you have to wait for guards to move.

I don't know how much ram the PS1 has, but I think there are several N64 games from the same time period that have much better graphics (e.g. SM64 and OoT). I think Castlevania: SotN has better graphics too, although it's a 2D game. Maybe I should play another 2D PS1 game.

I'm not interested in completing any video game lists, so I usually only finish video games that I like.

I just played Crash Team Racing for about an hour. It seems like a fun game, similar to Diddy Kong Racing. Unfortunately, my emulator isn't emulating it correctly (various things keep disappearing), which makes it hard to play.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

"I didn't like the parts where you have to wait for guards to move."

You can ignore literally every stealth game now then lol
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: July 7th, 2021, 11:42 am "I didn't like the parts where you have to wait for guards to move."

You can ignore literally every stealth game now then lol
Thanks for the tip. I think this is the first stealth game that I tried, so I don't really know anything about the genre.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

dirty_score wrote: July 7th, 2021, 10:52 am I'm currently at 23% in RDR2 and I'm having fun
Here's a tip: Pick a random NPC and Greet, Greet, Antagonize. Remember that pattern. You'll thank me later. :P

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

outdoorcats wrote: July 7th, 2021, 7:32 pm
dirty_score wrote: July 7th, 2021, 10:52 am I'm currently at 23% in RDR2 and I'm having fun
Here's a tip: Pick a random NPC and Greet, Greet, Antagonize. Remember that pattern. You'll thank me later. :P
Preferable one without a pistol right? :D I'll see to that. I've been mostly good but sometimes Antagonize people or threaten to rob them is way much funnier.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

dirty_score wrote: July 7th, 2021, 8:01 pm
outdoorcats wrote: July 7th, 2021, 7:32 pm
Preferable one without a pistol right? :D I'll see to that. I've been mostly good but sometimes Antagonize people or threaten to rob them is way much funnier.
Ultimately you want to end the game with high honor. But it's not too hard to get honor back, and besides, it feels canonically appropriate to make Arthur kind of an asshole in the first 1/3 or 1/2 of the game. Can't have "redemption" without something to need redemption from. :)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Been playing LA Noire recently. It’s a game I’ve always been interested in but never got anywhere with it. I’m fairly close to being done now. It’s fun and definitely keeps me coming back but very flawed. The world feels big but empty and the collectibles and ‘ranks’ ultimately mean nothing and I think things could’ve been better integrated into gameplay (like the cars or collectibles or having upgrades etc). I only just discovered there are film reels to collect in the game and I haven’t come across a single one.

My boyfriend has been talking about replaying Last of Us II which got me thinking about it so I’ve decided to start by replaying the first one again. I started playing tonight but already 34% done :/. Because I don’t have to constantly have my right finger on R2 my hands are lasting a lot longer with the controller. Even if running with L2 is a bit awkward. I tried playing on hard but couldn’t get past the first fight so back to normal I went. I haven’t played it since around 2014 although I have finished it. Most of the stuff I remembered I’ve already been through so it’s kinda like playing it new. Love the world and I’m enjoying the gameplay more than I remember when I first played (I’m slightly less scared and panic less so I’m a bit more effective). Really looking forward to getting to II though.

sebby

Post by sebby »

Snowrunner has taken over my life.

Oh a bunch of yokels need logs? Guess what I'm doing with the next 4 hours of my life.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Finished Last of Us last night. I was surprised at how short it was, took me about 14 hours over 3 days. I tried to get all the collectibles but ended up with 94/140 :( I haven’t finished a game this quickly in a long time and mostly thanks to being able to keep my right index finger off the trigger since it’s the worst for RSI and gets sore and tired very quickly. The first time I played I got stuck at a point around mid-game and it took me 6 months to get through it and I think that gave me a bit of a disconnect from story and characters. I remember really liking the world but not being particularly interested in the story or characters and finding gameplay frustrating. But this time I loved everything.

Although I give the edge to 2 from what I remember (expanded on gameplay and world in an interesting way, loved Abby, more emotionally involved, great level design etc) the dialogue and story are much better here and is overall more simple, in a nice way. My favourite parts of both games are the quiet moments when you get to explore an area and I love reading all the notes and stuff. I connected much more to Joel and Ellie this time and I wonder how that’ll affect my replay of 2 because that game made me hate Ellie and I wanted her to die.

I found normal mode to be nicely challenging considering I’m too much of a noob to play hard. You’re never fully stocked on ammo and supplies and there are times when you’re running on empty and others where you have a nice amount to not stress as much. I like that the game forces you to change techniques and weapons etc with almost every new encounter. I find with most games I can just stick with one technique and repeat it over and over but this game makes you adapt. The puzzles are easy but a nice break from the more tense moments.

Having a couple days break and then going to replay 2.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

I really envy people that can play The Last of Us. *shakes fists* c'mon Sony, make a port to PC.

I finished RDR2 yesterday and had some fun, not GTA levels of fun, but it was quite something. I felt the game was also too long and (this is not really a spoiler) the Guarma Island chapter in the middle is just filler that stretches the game unnecessarily and doesn't add anything new to the game and even storywise. I've also completed the epilogues (just for the sake of it) that make the bridge to the first game but it doesn't matter because I won't be playing, unless Rockstar decides to port it to PC.

weirdboy wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 12:39 am
dirty_score wrote: April 20th, 2021, 4:14 pm Cleaning my backlog. A Plague Tale: Innocence. What better to play during a pandemic?
How about Pathologic?
This weekend I'm just in the mood to play something dumb fun like Borderlands 2 but that will be next. The second one.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

mightysparks wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 1:42 am Finished Last of Us last night. I was surprised at how short it was, took me about 14 hours over 3 days. I tried to get all the collectibles but ended up with 94/140 :( I haven’t finished a game this quickly in a long time and mostly thanks to being able to keep my right index finger off the trigger since it’s the worst for RSI and gets sore and tired very quickly. The first time I played I got stuck at a point around mid-game and it took me 6 months to get through it and I think that gave me a bit of a disconnect from story and characters. I remember really liking the world but not being particularly interested in the story or characters and finding gameplay frustrating. But this time I loved everything.

Although I give the edge to 2 from what I remember (expanded on gameplay and world in an interesting way, loved Abby, more emotionally involved, great level design etc) the dialogue and story are much better here and is overall more simple, in a nice way. My favourite parts of both games are the quiet moments when you get to explore an area and I love reading all the notes and stuff. I connected much more to Joel and Ellie this time and I wonder how that’ll affect my replay of 2 because that game made me hate Ellie and I wanted her to die.

I found normal mode to be nicely challenging considering I’m too much of a noob to play hard. You’re never fully stocked on ammo and supplies and there are times when you’re running on empty and others where you have a nice amount to not stress as much. I like that the game forces you to change techniques and weapons etc with almost every new encounter. I find with most games I can just stick with one technique and repeat it over and over but this game makes you adapt. The puzzles are easy but a nice break from the more tense moments.

Having a couple days break and then going to replay 2.
The best parts of The Last of Us are indeed the quiet ones. The suburban section you explore after you escape from the sewers is my favorite part of the game; I always walk through it as slowly as possible just to savor the music and atmosphere (and catch all the flavor dialogue).

As for difficulty, I pretty much always stick with normal in games like this so as to interrupt the story as little as possible. Constantly dying and restarting just takes me out of the immersion (part of my problem with the Uncharted games, which don't synthesize gameplay and story as well IMO). But I am curious about experimenting with the "grounded mode" of TLoU2 later on, or maybe just getting rid of the HUD/reticle entirely to make it as film-like as possible.

Interesting take on Ellie and Abby. The conflict in
Spoiler
The Last of Us 2 kind of resulted in an ego-death for me, particularly in all the scenes where the two of them fight. It was very much me saying "Nonononono stop fighting, both of you please top" and not having any choice but to keep pressing buttons and feel like I'm participating in something horrific. What a brutal fucking game. But one with very useful lessons on trauma, grief, and the difference between revenge and healing.
dirty_score wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 6:54 pm I really envy people that can play The Last of Us. *shakes fists* c'mon Sony, make a port to PC.

I finished RDR2 yesterday and had some fun, not GTA levels of fun, but it was quite something. I felt the game was also too long and (this is not really a spoiler) the Guarma Island chapter in the middle is just filler that stretches the game unnecessarily and doesn't add anything new to the game and even storywise. I've also completed the epilogues (just for the sake of it) that make the bridge to the first game but it doesn't matter because I won't be playing, unless Rockstar decides to port it to PC.

weirdboy wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 12:39 am
dirty_score wrote: April 20th, 2021, 4:14 pm Cleaning my backlog. A Plague Tale: Innocence. What better to play during a pandemic?
How about Pathologic?
This weekend I'm just in the mood to play something dumb fun like Borderlands 2 but that will be next. The second one.
To be fair, buying a used PS3 and a copy of The Last of Us is much cheaper than buying a PC that can run most nice-looking games.

Can't really argue with the point about Guarma other than I just loved the change in scenery and it added to the epic nature of the tale and made it feel more like a blockbuster film IMO.

On my end I installed a Gameboy emulator and am playing the old Link's Awakening. A game I had thought I had played as a kid, but except for the very beginning it is so unfamiliar that I don't think I actually ever did? Anyway, cool to play an old Zelda game for the first time. (The Switch remake looks beautiful, but I'm not in a rush to buy a Switch yet). Once I finish it, Metroid Fusion and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow look pretty good.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

dirty_score wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 6:54 pm I really envy people that can play The Last of Us. *shakes fists* c'mon Sony, make a port to PC.
Ye console exclusives annoy me. I actually bought my PS3 just because I wanted to play Last of Us. But man getting it set up to play was frustrating. I bought it when I lived in the UK so first I had to find my UK power adapter. Then my bf mentioned I could use a PS4 controller and when I finally got it to connect it was the controller with right stick drift and the other working one wouldn’t connect. So I ended up having to use the PS3 controller. On my second session the joysticks suddenly stopped working. Finally got the good controller to work but I couldn’t shake the controller to recharge the flashlight in the game so I had to play the whole thing without the flashlight. Urghhhh.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

outdoorcats wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 8:09 pm The best parts of The Last of Us are indeed the quiet ones. The suburban section you explore after you escape from the sewers is my favorite part of the game; I always walk through it as slowly as possible just to savor the music and atmosphere (and catch all the flavor dialogue).

As for difficulty, I pretty much always stick with normal in games like this so as to interrupt the story as little as possible. Constantly dying and restarting just takes me out of the immersion (part of my problem with the Uncharted games, which don't synthesize gameplay and story as well IMO). But I am curious about experimenting with the "grounded mode" of TLoU2 later on, or maybe just getting rid of the HUD/reticle entirely to make it as film-like as possible.

Interesting take on Ellie and Abby. The conflict in
Spoiler
The Last of Us 2 kind of resulted in an ego-death for me, particularly in all the scenes where the two of them fight. It was very much me saying "Nonononono stop fighting, both of you please top" and not having any choice but to keep pressing buttons and feel like I'm participating in something horrific. What a brutal fucking game. But one with very useful lessons on trauma, grief, and the difference between revenge and healing.
I always play on normal as well for the same reason, otherwise I just die all the time and get frustrated and quit. I tried hard but I died at least 10 times in the first encounter and got through it immediately on normal. My bf always plays on hard but he’s better at games. He’s thinking about playing grounded when he replays LoU 2 but not for me thanks lol.

I also had never played the DLC but couldn’t get it on the PS3 anymore so we bought it last night on PS4 and I’m gonna play through that before 2 so I’m excited to experience some new stuff.

I agree with your spoiler:
Spoiler
I found parts of it hard because I didn’t want to fight the other one and I was angry for Ellie at first but Abby became a much more complex character and Ellie and her story were more generic. I also had no connection to Ellie from the first game because I hadn’t liked her and didn’t remember it much at that point anyway.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

outdoorcats wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 8:09 pm To be fair, buying a used PS3 and a copy of The Last of Us is much cheaper than buying a PC that can run most nice-looking games.

Can't really argue with the point about Guarma other than I just loved the change in scenery and it added to the epic nature of the tale and made it feel more like a blockbuster film IMO.
I agree, it was veeeery pretty but completely unnecessary. You can't even go there anymore after you finish the chapter or the game, so what was the point? :shrug:

I would be tempted to go for your suggestion and buy that used PS3 and not just for TLoU game but I could also play RDR, MGS 3, MGS 4 and Shadow of the Colossus (2005) but I've just bought this shiny new gaming PC just to play the more recent games that my last potato PC couldn't run. Maybe next christmas :sweat:
mightysparks wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 9:49 pm Ye console exclusives annoy me. I actually bought my PS3 just because I wanted to play Last of Us. But man getting it set up to play was frustrating.
They could have done the same thing they did for Horizon Zero and just keep the exclusivity for the second game. :(
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Mini Motorways is insanely addictive.