Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

Which countries have you visited? And which one is your favorite?

HVM

Which countries have you visited? And which one is your favo

Post by HVM » April 17th, 2013, 8:58 am

The countries I've spent night in: Poland (beach time and Auschwitz), Slovakia (skiing, hiking, sightseing), Croatia (beach time), Denmark (student exchange twice) and France (only Paris). All multiple times (apart from France). I liked Croatia the most and my first memory is from there as well.

Would like to visit Spain (and ride a bullet train) and explore Germany some more.
1918 - 100 - 2018

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » April 17th, 2013, 9:48 am

Been to :
France, England, Belgium, Portugal, United States (17 states), Spain, Germany, Czech Republic, Sweden, Cyprus, Cape Verde, Mauritius, Morocco, Dominican Republic, Saint Lucia.

Later this year I'll add Canada, Guatemala, Mexico and Honduras to this list.
Image Image Image

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » April 18th, 2013, 3:45 am

Live in the US. Been to Canada, England, Scotland, France, Belgium, Germany, Italy (Sardinia), Austria, Japan, Hong Kong (before the handover), Mainland China, Singapore, Thailand and assorted Caribbean islands. I might have stopped once in Greenland for refueling, but I can't remember for sure.

Bobby Peru

Post by Bobby Peru » May 7th, 2013, 9:45 am

Live in England. Been to Wales (2), Ireland, France (8), Germany and the USA (9). I need to travel more.

Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi » May 8th, 2013, 2:47 am

Countries I've visited, with the approximate number of days I've spent there given in parentheses and notes given in square brackets:

Germany (35 days) [spread over three trips, all over except the north coast]
France (32 days) [spread over two trips, all over except west coast]
United Kingdom (18 days) [spread over three trips, Northern Ireland, England including Gibraltar]
Spain (11 days) [Andalucia and Madrid only]
Austria (10 days)
Argentina (9 days) [Buenos Aires only]
Switzerland (9 days)
U.S. (8 days) [L.A. only]
Morocco (8 days)
Republic of Ireland (6 days)
Czech Republic (6 days)
Netherlands (3 days)
Hungary (3 days)
Luxembourg (3 days)
Slovakia (2 days)
Uruguay (day trip)

And, sadly, despite having lived my whole life in Canada, I've only ventured rarely outside of Ontario. I spent my first year in Alberta (but remember nothing of it, of course), and besides that, spent four days in Quebec. I'm hoping this year I'll change that and manage a trip out to the east coast.

Favourite Countries:
Topography: A tossup between Germany, Switzerland, France and the Republic of Ireland
Culture and history: France (honourable mention goes to the U.K.)
Friendliness: Argentina and the U.K.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 16th, 2013, 7:11 pm

I was talking to my dad earlier and said I was thinking of taking a week off in October to play games all day, but he was like 'nooo, go somewhere!' So now I'm thinking of doing that. Any places in Europe/nearby that are worth visiting (in October) that are cheap and easy for one person to do? Would budget like hell, but wanna be able to do some cool stuff too.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 16th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Nope, there's totally nowhere worth visiting in Europe. You really need to be more specific, what would you consider "cool stuff to do."

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 16th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Lol. I mean; sights to see, anything interesting and different to do.. Stuff that could apply to literally any country :P But coz it's October and nearing winter, I dunno what the weather is like and which places should be avoided at that time. And I'm not sure which countries/cities would be easy and cheap. Just somewhere that I could enjoy for 3-5 days and wouldn't break the bank. I'm looking at Iceland at the moment. I like pretty nature things.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

rokp

Post by rokp » August 16th, 2013, 7:34 pm

If you like nature and your trip won't be to long, I'd recommend Slovenia. Nature is the only thing I'm patriotic about. It's probably one of the most diverse countries in the world considering the size. Between Alps, Adriatic sea and Pannonian Plain you literally have everything. Beautiful seaside towns, wonderful lakes, great castles, beautiful towns, caves (Karst terrain is actually named after plateau in Slo), mountains and more... There is everything (and more) than in turistically renowned countries like Austria ans Switzerland (except culture-wise) just in smaller quantities. And on very small area, you can get from one side of the country to another in 2 hours. There is literally something well worth visiting every 10 kilometers and prices are relativelly low. Highly recommended. Oh, and it's 3rd country in Europe by percentage of forrests.
Last edited by rokp on August 16th, 2013, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prat

Post by Prat » August 16th, 2013, 7:35 pm

I'd love to go to Iceland, but in winter, that seems crazy. That can be a good season for Venice or Fiorenza in Italy, maybe Barcelona in Spain. Another cool place is Santorini in Greece but that's not really cheap and your activity will be essentially boat and walk.
Last edited by Prat on August 16th, 2013, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 16th, 2013, 7:39 pm

rokp on Aug 16 2013, 01:34:47 PM wrote:If you like nature and your trip won't be to long, I'd recommend Slovenia. Nature is the only thing I'm patriotic about. It's probably one of the most diverse countries in the world considering the size. Between Alps, Adriatic sea and Pannonian Plain you literally have everything. Beautiful seaside towns, wonderful lakes, great castles, beautiful towns, caves (Karst terrain is actually named after plateau in Slo), mountains and more... There is everything (and more) than in turistically renowned countries like Austria ans Switzerland (except culture-wise) just in smaller quantities. And on very small area, you can get from one side of the country to another in 2 hours. There is literally something well worth visiting every 10 kilometers and prices are relativelly low. Highly recommended. Oh, and it's 3rd country in Europe by percentage of forrests.
Are you the Slovenian mafia? :P It does look quite pretty... If I see a picture of a pretty nature thingy, I instantly want to visit the country. I'm not big into nature in general, but when it's something particularly awesome, it's just not the same unless you visit it and bask in the ambiance.

rokp

Post by rokp » August 16th, 2013, 7:42 pm

If you'd visit it, you'd never mention word mafia :D

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » August 16th, 2013, 7:45 pm

I hear Finland has it all:

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 16th, 2013, 7:46 pm

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/europe/trav ... cles/77718

This has some ideas, one of which is the Faroe Islands, but its mainly good for walking and bird watching! it also mentions Berlin, Lisbon, Slovenia, Albanian Riviera, Istanbul, Iceland and the Greek islands.
Last edited by Cippenham on August 16th, 2013, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » August 16th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Cippenham on Aug 16 2013, 01:46:34 PM wrote:http://www.lonelyplanet.com/europe/trav ... cles/77718

This has some ideas, one of which is the Faeroe Islands, but its mainly good for walking and bird watching!
And Jon taunting and whale clobberin'

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » August 16th, 2013, 7:57 pm

Iceland/Scandinavia = Expensive (and cold in October).

cheapest to travel in = Eastern Europe

cheapest/easiest to get to = France/Netherlands/Belgium/Spain/Ireland/any city which ryanair/easyjet fly to..

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » August 16th, 2013, 7:59 pm

France also has great food served with a side of attitude

Kowry

Post by Kowry » August 16th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Kasparius on Aug 16 2013, 01:45:45 PM wrote:I hear Finland has it all:

Yes.

(No really, it's cold and dark here in October, plus stuff is expensive)

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 16th, 2013, 8:01 pm

brokenface on Aug 16 2013, 01:57:53 PM wrote:Iceland/Scandinavia = Expensive (and cold in October).

cheapest/easiest to get to = France/Netherlands/Belgium/Spain/Ireland/any city which ryanair/easyjet fly to..
I went to Poland and quite enjoyed it and there is quite a bit to see too

http://poland.pl/poland/0,0.html
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

rokp

Post by rokp » August 16th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Here is a cool site to check the countries a bit (I took the liberty not to give you the link to homepage :P ): http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g274 ... tions.html

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 16th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Ireland was also on my list. Most places are though, tbh :P Not much in Eastern Europe interests me though :( I want to visit Greece and Macedonia one day (Maco so I can visit the village my grandparents are from), but we've discussed maybe doing that one as a family.

George Bailey

Post by George Bailey » August 16th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Cippenham on Aug 16 2013, 01:46:34 PM wrote:http://www.lonelyplanet.com/europe/trav ... cles/77718

This has some ideas, one of which is the Faroe Islands, but its mainly good for walking and bird watching! it also mentions Berlin, Lisbon, Slovenia, Albanian Riviera, Istanbul, Iceland and the Greek islands.
Wait WTF? Who the hell comes here
, spending lots of money to watch birds when we have beautiful nature? I visited Berlin and Prague in November. But those cities were awesome even in the cold November!

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » August 16th, 2013, 8:32 pm

Not exactly nature, but how about a film festival? :D

Sitges film festival

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitges_Film_Festival

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » August 16th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Cippenham on Aug 16 2013, 02:01:16 PM wrote:
brokenface on Aug 16 2013, 01:57:53 PM wrote:Iceland/Scandinavia = Expensive (and cold in October).

I went to Poland and quite enjoyed it and there is quite a bit to see too

http://poland.pl/poland/0,0.html
I'm going to Poland next month

Chilton

Post by Chilton » August 16th, 2013, 9:55 pm

jvv on Aug 16 2013, 02:32:06 PM wrote:Not exactly nature, but how about a film festival? :D

Sitges film festival

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitges_Film_Festival
Or this?

Every year also has a special theme: last year's was film noirs. I know this year's one but I can't tell just yet :P

afirm

Post by afirm » August 16th, 2013, 11:13 pm

I'm from Norway, and I've visited these countries, mostly european:

France, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Finland, Poland, Italy, UK (England and Wales), Hungary, Serbia, Austria, Lithuania, Latvia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovakia, Estonia, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Slovenia, Montenegro, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Vatican City, Turkey, Egypt and Tunisia.

I must say I like England the most. I think I've gone there more than 15 times, and I'm also moving there in about a month.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 16th, 2013, 11:13 pm

All the cool people move to England :thumbsup:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 17th, 2013, 1:46 pm

I found some cool 5 day Slovenian tours, but you need to have a minimum of 2 people in a group :'(

(anyone want to come to Slovenia with me :P )

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 17th, 2013, 3:00 pm

mightysparks on Aug 17 2013, 07:46:13 AM wrote:I found some cool 5 day Slovenian tours, but you need to have a minimum of 2 people in a group :'(

(anyone want to come to Slovenia with me :P )
maybe you can grab rokp
I would have kept gaming though
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 17th, 2013, 3:03 pm

I think rokp has already seen his country :P

Yeah, the gaming is still tempting me, tbh. Plus October is the horror challenge which would mean more horror movies too. BUT ARGH. Not sure if I'm financially prepared for a holiday right now anyway. I mean, I have plenty of money for a cheap trip, but I hate spending money, soo...

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » August 17th, 2013, 4:07 pm

How about this?
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 17th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Already going to one film festival this year :P I want to see the outside world for a bit.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » August 17th, 2013, 4:16 pm

I know, I know ... but this way, you could combine things: have some sunny weather, see a little culture, AND participate in the horror challenge. Just an idea though. :happy:

But if I were you, I'd have a nice little city trip to one of Europe's major cities (Rome, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, or maybe Amsterdam, Brussels, and all these other smaller ones) with a great history and lots of museums etc. I suppose travelling the countryside could easily become boring when you're on your own.
RokP 250

rokp

Post by rokp » August 17th, 2013, 5:41 pm

What are the things you'd see in 5 days in Slovenia? I'm sure at least one day is reserved for Ljubljana, then Bled (castle, lake with only Slovenian island) and Postojna (cave and castle within stone wall), but what else do those turist agencies select?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 17th, 2013, 5:45 pm

This was one of them: http://www.travel-slovenia.com/group-to ... fairytale/

I was just looking at tours because I figured it'd be easier than trying to organise a holiday in a country that I know nothing about and don't speak the language :D
Last edited by mightysparks on August 17th, 2013, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rokp

Post by rokp » August 17th, 2013, 5:59 pm

This being the full tour? If so, it's perfect selection of best of the country. 2 days in Ljubljana, which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful capitals in Europe (I think even someone here said so when the thread was opened) and great selection of other most notable pearls and showing full diversity. You have my confirmation it's great program. You wouldn't be disappointed.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 17th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Well that's great and all but I'm still one person short :D

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » August 17th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Be sure to visit the Skeleton Bar, if you visit Ljubljana. They serve great cocktails there. ^_^

It's a beautiful city indeed.
Last edited by Gershwin on August 17th, 2013, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RokP 250

jort13

Post by jort13 » August 18th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Been to:
Netherlands (Live there, so duh. Seen pretty much all the big places. Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam etc)
Germany (Berlin, the Harz, Münster, Oldenburg, Leer and twice Moviepark Germany)
Austria (skiing in the Alps. Never doing that again :-P)
Spain (Gran Canaria and various cities in Andalucia. Sevilla, Cadiz, Marbella. Stuff like that)
Gibraltar
France (Paris)
England (London)
United States (Florida and Atlanta Airport)

Only thing that will be added in the foreseeable future is a lot of the US. Living there for a couple of months and will also be touring the east coast.

Places I wanna see:
Well, ehm, everything :-P
Last edited by jort13 on August 18th, 2013, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.