Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
ICMForum Manager Cup signup
Polls: Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Results), 2020 (Aug 29th)
Challenges: <400, Korean, Action/Adventure

The Off-Topic Lounge

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I’ve never had a job that I cared about enough to experience any of these but I feel I would definitely be a mix of expert, perfectionist and superwoman if I did.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

metaller wrote: October 16th, 2020, 5:48 am I think the expert type fits pretty well for me.
Every time I get a new-ish task I feel like this will be the time google and my previous knowledge won't help me solve it, and I'll be found out for the idiot I am. I KNOW that my collegues would be in the exact same situation as me though and that I have handled all situation like that in the past.
But my self-doubt still shows up.
I guess that means you're ... human.

That's my main reservation with charts/articles like the one above. It's a very normal feeling most people will have to deal with in their lives and for 99.99% of them it'll hardly be a real bother (apart from not feeling very confident at that time). I'm sure it can be a serious issue for that 00.01% who gets too paralyzed to move beyond it, but charts like that often seem to do more harm than good (i.e. breeding hypochondriacs).
mightysparks wrote: October 16th, 2020, 6:04 am I’ve never had a job that I cared about enough to experience any of these but I feel I would definitely be a mix of expert, perfectionist and superwoman if I did.
It's not necessarily job-related though. I guess most of us film fans have been in a situation where we thought we were quite knowledgeable about a subject, only to run into someone online who made you feel like a complete noob.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I guess, I’ve never felt like that though probably coz I feel like I am a noob : P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

mightysparks wrote: October 16th, 2020, 6:29 am I guess, I’ve never felt like that though probably coz I feel like I am a noob : P
You really feel you're a horror noob?
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Onderhond wrote: October 16th, 2020, 6:48 am
mightysparks wrote: October 16th, 2020, 6:29 am I guess, I’ve never felt like that though probably coz I feel like I am a noob : P
You really feel you're a horror noob?
I feel like I know a bit more than the average person but there’s always more to learn and I have my strengths and weaknesses..

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I should probably check with my psychiatrist soon. A dj mix made me hallucinate and have ego death. I don't think music is supposed to do that lol
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/time-traveler/

Some words ‘born’ in 1991: cybersex, granny panties, hoochie, SIM card, force quit, mixtape..

A year of technology and sex it seems.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

1992: meh

It's interesting how some terms appear to have started well before I would have expected and others well after.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

To be fair, I think this when the terms were officially added to the dictionary, not when they started. They will often need to reach a degree of popularity before being included.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Actually, it seems to be the opposite. It's their first documented use according to that dictionary.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I love how this is somehow a thing worthy of discussion

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Anything a DEMONcrat does is objectively wrong, obviously. If a DEMONcrat loves his child, we must all hate ours. Own the libs!
sebby

Post by sebby »

sebby wrote: November 1st, 2014, 5:55 am For no good reason I've decided that I won't fix my typos in November. Kind of curiosu to see just how careless a typer a reall am.
Six years ago I decided to do this for a month. I'm doing it again. This time I will also use shortened words & phrases as much as possible (e.g., tho instead of though).

Apologies in advance. :whistling:
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

sebby wrote: November 1st, 2020, 7:26 am
sebby wrote: November 1st, 2014, 5:55 am For no good reason I've decided that I won't fix my typos in November. Kind of curiosu to see just how careless a typer a reall am.
Six years ago I decided to do this for a month. I'm doing it again. This time I will also use shortened words & phrases as much as possible (e.g., tho instead of though).

Apologies in advance. :whistling:
:yas:

I remember this. It's such a delight to reread the posts following your announcement (click on the '↑' in the quote). Mighty even called herself a pedophile and then admitted to being attracted to old farts. tehe
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Little did I know that 3 years later I’d be dating an 18 year old lol

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

The other week I got lazy and did no cooking and I was depressed at how much food I had to throw out. So I went through the pantry, fridge and freezer and chucked out everything that had expired and made a spreadsheet of everything I had. I've been keeping it up for a couple of weeks now and it's been good. I use it to see what's expiring and what ingredients I have so I plan what to make the next week, instead of just making random decisions (I do plan out my meals on Sunday night before shopping on Monday morning, but not based on what I already have available). I'm also trying to snack on the fresh food to not waste it (eg, having carrot and hummus for a snack instead of crackers). It's saving me 1/4 of our usual grocery cost which is nice. And it feels good to hardly have to throw anything out at the end of the week.

The spreadsheet is not particularly exciting at the moment (I'd like to add costs and some sort of stats at some point), but here's a sample:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Sebby, the typos are funny but strangely enough the lack of capital letters is bothering me. :(

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
sebby

Post by sebby »

got it. i can try and put a capiTal letter in each sentence. sometimEs even more than oNe!
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Lammetje wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:44 am Sebby, the typos are funny but strangely enough the lack of capital letters is bothering me. :(
Not surprised by this. You can even be bothered by a dash in "iCM-lists". :P
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

You guys are mean. Punctuation and capitalization rules need to be followed!

More memorable quotes
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Lammetje wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 3:01 pm You guys are mean. Punctuation and capitalization rules need to be followed!
Tö'tally: agréè!?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I tihnk ist wired taht Lmamejte acecpts evrey tpyo as lnog as yuo get teh pnucutatoin rhigt. :shrug:
ICM-profile
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

mightysparks wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 3:04 am The other week I got lazy and did no cooking and I was depressed at how much food I had to throw out. So I went through the pantry, fridge and freezer and chucked out everything that had expired and made a spreadsheet of everything I had. I've been keeping it up for a couple of weeks now and it's been good. I use it to see what's expiring and what ingredients I have so I plan what to make the next week, instead of just making random decisions (I do plan out my meals on Sunday night before shopping on Monday morning, but not based on what I already have available). I'm also trying to snack on the fresh food to not waste it (eg, having carrot and hummus for a snack instead of crackers). It's saving me 1/4 of our usual grocery cost which is nice. And it feels good to hardly have to throw anything out at the end of the week.

The spreadsheet is not particularly exciting at the moment (I'd like to add costs and some sort of stats at some point), but here's a sample:

My first thought was that this was OCD in overdrive, but if you really save 25% that seems like it's worth it. I still do find the whole thing a bit strange, though...
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

This reminded me of a scene I just watched last month... :lol:

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

mightysparks wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 3:04 am The other week I got lazy and did no cooking and I was depressed at how much food I had to throw out. So I went through the pantry, fridge and freezer and chucked out everything that had expired and made a spreadsheet of everything I had. I've been keeping it up for a couple of weeks now and it's been good. I use it to see what's expiring and what ingredients I have so I plan what to make the next week, instead of just making random decisions (I do plan out my meals on Sunday night before shopping on Monday morning, but not based on what I already have available). I'm also trying to snack on the fresh food to not waste it (eg, having carrot and hummus for a snack instead of crackers). It's saving me 1/4 of our usual grocery cost which is nice. And it feels good to hardly have to throw anything out at the end of the week.

A respectable amount of cheeses, but vegan margarine instead of butter is blasphemous ;)

Hope you don't go too strict on chucking out food that's hit expiry date. Important for some things (meat, fish) but not so much for others
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Ooh, jackfruit bao sounds bomb.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Brokenface; I have butter and margarine: I use butter for cooking and margarine for spreading on bread. I couldn’t find my usual margarine during the last shop so I thought I’d try the vegan one and so far can’t tell any difference. We don’t eat meat anymore, but I have to be strict with expiration dates for most things because I can’t smell and can’t tell when something is really off. My boyfriend gets annoyed when I shove something in his face asking him to smell it :(

And re Knald, yea my boyfriend saw me doing it and said I looked crazy but it’s much easier than looking in the cupboard every time to see what I have and to decide what to make for the week. It took me about 2 hours initially and takes me 5 minutes after every shop to update it. So it’s not really that time consuming or anything. It saves me a ton of time in planning out my meals though since I’m just going through endless recipes and am focused on using up something in particular.

sebby

Post by sebby »

Vegan margarine tastes exactly the sameas butter.

i once went a full year o so not needing to throw out a single piece of food. i was very meticuluis about my purchasing nad consuming. i also ate a simpler diet then, which likely helps. hate throwing awa food.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

sebby wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:53 pm Vegan margarine tastes exactly the sameas butter.
Yes, and Pi is exactly 3.
sebby

Post by sebby »

weirdboy wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 3:28 am
sebby wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:53 pm Vegan margarine tastes exactly the sameas butter.
Yes, and Pi is exactly 3.
If butter is Pi than vegan butter is 22/7. they r 99% simila. r in flavor. with th eadded benefit o fnot containing cow pus.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Lammetje wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 3:01 pm You guys are mean. Punctuation and capitalization rules need to be followed!
Capitalisation!
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

AdamH wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 7:52 am
Capitalisation!
Limey bastard! :guns:

More memorable quotes
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I feel less weird reading about mighty's spreadsheet. :)

My wife and I use a Google keep to make notes of what we'll be having for dinner in the next couple of days. When I show it to someone I always get frowns or laughs. Most people don't plan dinner multiple days ahead, go to the supermarket at least once every two days and even if they plan a bit ahead, they just make a quick note on a piece of paper. So having a list of dinner five days ahead seems weird to most people I know. Of course on this forum keeping a list of five items is peanuts.

I showed my wife the spreadsheet. She laughed really loud.
ICM-profile
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

My wife and I keep going out and independently buying the same groceries. So, like one day we will have no cabbage, and the next day we will be thinking what we can do to use all the cabbage we've got.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I plan out all meals a week in advance. I mostly do it for the calories and to make sure I keep eating healthy, but saving money is good too. It's just hard to decide what I want to make for the week, since I do all the cooking and shopping so this system has been really nice for me. I generally buy the same things so it's not too difficult, but like this week I wanted to try and use up my open pack of pearl barley so I specifically looked up barley recipes and I'm making my way through that now. If I had a big freezer I would do a big cook-up once a week and have everything cooked, but I have the smallest freezer in the universe so I can't do that.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I had built a giant spreadsheet for work the past few weeks and today I extended some formulas even more. Then it started to go slow, like loading for five minutes every time I did a simple thing like copy-paste a cell or use a filter. Anyway, tried to find out what caused the problem and it seems INDIRECT is a function that calculates over and over again every time you do a single thing anywhere in the spreadsheet. Since the whole sheet contained that function 241,360 times......you get the idea. :lol:

It's a shame, because I really love using INDIRECT.
ICM-profile
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

joachimt wrote: November 6th, 2020, 5:25 pm I had built a giant spreadsheet for work the past few weeks and today I extended some formulas even more. Then it started to go slow, like loading for five minutes every time I did a simple thing like copy-paste a cell or use a filter. Anyway, tried to find out what caused the problem and it seems INDIRECT is a function that calculates over and over again every time you do a single thing anywhere in the spreadsheet. Since the whole sheet contained that function 241,360 times......you get the idea. :lol:

It's a shame, because I really love using INDIRECT.
on older machines, I had a similar problem with my formulas recalculating and that process taking quite some time

I turned of auto-recalc (Tools->Options->Calculation, but Excel 2002, which I'm still using) but left calc before save on. That was an easy work around that suited my needs. If I needed something sooner, F9 ran a manual recalc.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

It's a shared file with autosave to OneDrive turned on, so that workaround wouldn't work for me.
ICM-profile
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

I have never used the Indirect function... that's kinda neat.

And yeah, I had a similar problem at my prior job. Built a spreadsheet and everything calculated instantly on my Desktop in my home office. When I switched to the laptop while traveling, it was [do thing, wait 5 minutes] over and over again.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

maxwelldeux wrote: November 6th, 2020, 9:14 pm I have never used the Indirect function... that's kinda neat.
It's very useful. I had a table and the top cell of each column contained the name of a tab. In each column I wanted to use date of that tab in the formulas. But if you simply use 38!$A:$A for example (my tabs were called 38, 39, 40, etc...) and you copy that to the cell next to it, that 38 stays 38, although you want it to become 39. So instead I used for example in A2 (A1 said "38") INDIRECT(A1&"!A:A"). When you copy that to B2, it uses B1 so it become 39!A:A. Very neat indeed.
Too bad it's a recalculating formula constantly. So now I had to type the tabname into the formula ten times for each column.
ICM-profile