Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 9 released July 7th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th), 0 Official Lists (Jul 31st)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Picture of Light, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th), Match 2F: Germany vs Iran (Jul 26th)

The Off-Topic Lounge

blocho
Donator

Re: The Off-Topic Lounge

Post by blocho » May 31st, 2020, 4:41 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 31st, 2020, 3:33 am
America doesn’t even seem real sometimes

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » May 31st, 2020, 5:38 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 31st, 2020, 1:17 am
I've had really bad neck pain for over a week now and it's actually driving me insane. At first it felt like I just needed to crack my neck, but I couldn't. Usually when I get this kind of pain it's over within a day or two. Then the big bulby bone bit on my spine felt sore if I put pressure on it and I could kind of move those bony bits around and they'd crack a bit, and I figured that was the problem. Then yesterday, another bulby bone bit further up my neck seems to be the main source of pain, as well as the original pain. No position is comfortable to sit, sleep or stand. Until yesterday, putting my head back would crack my neck and give me temporarily relief, but now it feels like there's nerve pain as well and the new pain area hurts when I put my head back. I've tried every stretch and position I could find and NOTHING IS HELPING. I have three fecking assignments to finish by next Sunday so I don't really have time to rest and being on the computer certainly isn't helping. Just let me die :'(
Definitely try a chiropractor.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 1st, 2020, 3:16 am

It was quieter in NYC today compared to Saturday and Friday. And then 30 minutes ago, I start hearing sirens and a helicopter go overhead. There are now four police helicopters hovering over downtown Brooklyn, and maybe 400-800 police showed up at a protest.

I'm sure something set them off, but it seems like the NYPD has gone insane. Here's a representative video:

sebby

Post by sebby » June 8th, 2020, 7:47 am

Any language learning apps or websites people wanna recommend? After trump gets re-elected i'm gonna hop on over to europe somewhere for a few years to chill. figure i should at least know some rudiments to get by.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 8th, 2020, 9:09 am

Duo lingo is good for simple stuff
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » June 8th, 2020, 12:01 pm

mightysparks wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 9:09 am
Duo lingo is good for simple stuff
Yeah, I really like it.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

tirefeet

Post by tirefeet » June 8th, 2020, 12:02 pm

sebby wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 7:47 am
Any language learning apps or websites people wanna recommend? After trump gets re-elected i'm gonna hop on over to europe somewhere for a few years to chill. figure i should at least know some rudiments to get by.
There is an android, and likely it is also on ios, application called "tandem". I think the idea is finding people who speak / practice the languages you want to practice and strike a conversation with them.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 8th, 2020, 1:31 pm

sebby wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 7:47 am
More on languages: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1268
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

sebby

Post by sebby » June 8th, 2020, 8:39 pm

thanks for the suggests. i wonder how much a moderately lazy man can learn in a year or so.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 8th, 2020, 8:48 pm

sebby wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:39 pm
thanks for the suggests. i wonder how much a moderately lazy man can learn in a year or so.
If you find out, let me know. As an extremely, perhaps even excessively lazy man, I'd expect to learn half of a third of that.

Oh, and not to be completely silly - I've been talking to my sister-in-law, who is Québécois and has done a little language instruction in both English and French, about the very same thing and she also pointed me at Duolingo. Now I just have to get a *little* sorry a *LOT* less lazy and get on it.

Anybody know by the way how much easier or harder it is to try to work on two rather different languages at once?

sebby

Post by sebby » June 8th, 2020, 9:00 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:48 pm
sebby wrote:
If you find out, let me know. As an extremely, perhaps even excessively lazy man, I'd expect to learn half of a third of that.
I was being rather kind when I referred to this man -- let's call him "sebby" -- as moderately lazy. One can only hope fear lights a fire under his bottom and gets him to do the work-hard thing, if only for a little while.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 8th, 2020, 9:05 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
Anybody know by the way how much easier or harder it is to try to work on two rather different languages at once?
If you're an English-only speaker, I'd say don't double up. I don't have research at hand, but I did do consulting with the language office for the US Special Forces and they would strictly put people into a single language. If they already spoke another language, they might put them in a new one that was similar, but I never saw someone go after two at a time.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 8th, 2020, 9:15 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 9:05 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
If you're an English-only speaker, I'd say don't double up. I don't have research at hand, but I did do consulting with the language office for the US Special Forces and they would strictly put people into a single language. If they already spoke another language, they might put them in a new one that was similar, but I never saw someone go after two at a time.
I'm only at all fluent in English. I studied Spanish (4 years) German (8), Russian, Latin, and Old English in high school and/or college - at one time I thought of linguistics as a career - and retain a bit of the first two languages; I watched an Iranian film subbed in German last year and managed pretty well with it. And I've picked up some French over the years through living in VT and being around people from Québéc, including my sister-in-law - French is the primary language I want to tackle. Obviously I was learning multiple languages at a time back in school, but that has now been a lot of years. The other language I'd like to work on now is Persian/Farsi, which apart from having a different alphabet doesn't seem that much further from English than French, German, etc - it is Indo-European, and there are quite a lot of words that are similar. Of course that's just the vocabulary, I don't really know anything about grammar or syntax.

But like sebby I'm probably so lazy that it'd be foolish to go for two when one would be more intellectual work than I've done since the internet was just a rumor to geeky engineering guys and science fiction to the rest of us.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 8th, 2020, 9:16 pm

sebby wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 9:00 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
sebby wrote:
I was being rather kind when I referred to this man -- let's call him "sebby" -- as moderately lazy. One can only hope fear lights a fire under his bottom and gets him to do the work-hard thing, if only for a little while.
Fear. Good motivator. Well, bad motivator if American history is any judge of it. But that's for groups. For individuals...I dunno, I could probably use more fear myself, might get me somewhere.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » June 9th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Screenwriting isn't as hard as I was afraid it would be. It took me about an hour and a half to write six and a half pages of dialogue.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 10th, 2020, 12:54 am

I randomly started thinking about a girl I went to highschool with yesterday. Someone I was totally indifferent about and interacted with only occasionally. I bumped into her years ago at the store she worked at when I was doing a stocktake there and I was in training as a supervisor. But anyway, I looked her up on Facebook and all of her photos were so heavily filtered she was basically a blur. It was pretty depressing seeing someone my age already terrified of her age and trying to hide it. There's this older lady who keeps coming up in my friend suggestions who has similar sort of pictures and it's too funny to be depressing: the woman is clearly like 60 and trying to pass herself off as someone in her 20s. Just show your damn wrinkles ffs.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 10th, 2020, 4:40 am

mightysparks wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 12:54 am
I randomly started thinking about a girl I went to highschool with yesterday. Someone I was totally indifferent about and interacted with only occasionally. I bumped into her years ago at the store she worked at when I was doing a stocktake there and I was in training as a supervisor. But anyway, I looked her up on Facebook and all of her photos were so heavily filtered she was basically a blur. It was pretty depressing seeing someone my age already terrified of her age and trying to hide it. There's this older lady who keeps coming up in my friend suggestions who has similar sort of pictures and it's too funny to be depressing: the woman is clearly like 60 and trying to pass herself off as someone in her 20s. Just show your damn wrinkles ffs.
I have a coworker who is 42 but looks quite young for his age. Based on appearance, I would estimate he was maybe 35-38. Anyway, he was bragging a few weeks ago about how he found a jar of some "anti-aging" cream on sale for only $60 when it normally goes for $1000. Leaving aside conspicuous consumption and the obvious cognitive bias of anchoring (I bet that jar cost $4 to manufacture), I'm always a bit stunned by people obsessed with aging when it comes to their appearance. I understand being upset about aging because it comes with all sorts of awful health problems, but I don't get people who are constantly aghast because they will look older. There's nothing one can do about it, so why drive yourself crazy? It's like trying to fight time itself. I told my colleague that the jar was a rip-off and that he should just focus on staying out of the sun instead (the only scientifically proven way of slowing wrinkles), but he didn't want to hear it.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 10th, 2020, 5:21 am

Yea, my mum has gone through numerous anti-aging creams over the years and she once put some on one side of her partner's face and showed me like 'WHOA SEE THE DIFFERENCE??' and I said I didn't and she brushed me off. So if it works so well why has she gone through so many others and still not happy with any of them? People are obsessed about their appearance at all ages, but I don't know why people think looking 'old' is such a bad thing. Why does everyone want to look like a bug-eyed baby face for their entire lives? Age looks great on people if they let it. All the cosmetic surgery and filtering and photoshopping just makes people look ridiculous, I don't understand why people would choose to look like a swamp monster over having some wrinkles. It's obvious and it just makes you look older and sadder. I also have not met a woman in years with their natural grey hair, because they all go straight for the blonde hair dye.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » June 17th, 2020, 12:12 am

Change the gender of the text on the right frame and this is my relationship summed up

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » June 17th, 2020, 4:35 am

mightysparks wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 5:21 am
Yea, my mum has gone through numerous anti-aging creams over the years and she once put some on one side of her partner's face and showed me like 'WHOA SEE THE DIFFERENCE??' and I said I didn't and she brushed me off. So if it works so well why has she gone through so many others and still not happy with any of them? People are obsessed about their appearance at all ages, but I don't know why people think looking 'old' is such a bad thing. Why does everyone want to look like a bug-eyed baby face for their entire lives? Age looks great on people if they let it. All the cosmetic surgery and filtering and photoshopping just makes people look ridiculous, I don't understand why people would choose to look like a swamp monster over having some wrinkles. It's obvious and it just makes you look older and sadder. I also have not met a woman in years with their natural grey hair, because they all go straight for the blonde hair dye.
fear of death and reminder of impermanence maybe

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » July 3rd, 2020, 2:14 am

Well at least we finally have some good news for 2020

https://www.sciencealert.com/surgeons-s ... 86wUMhh814

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 5th, 2020, 8:34 pm

There are days when I'm reminded that we really do live in "Frontier Country" here in New Mexico.

I went out to check mail a few moments ago. Opening the door I frightened off a "Black Witch Moth" which is a very large dark-brown moth with the evocative Spanish name of "Mariposa de la muerte" (Butterfly of Death) and on the way back from mail box I saw some animal droppings with fur in them in our front yard. I took a picture and submitted it to one of those online "nature identification" sites. It came back with 3 possible matches, it's either droppings from a ringtail cat, a coyote or a mountain lion. :blink:

ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 6th, 2020, 12:08 am

What a ginormous yet pretty moth!
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 6th, 2020, 1:05 am

Class registration for next semester opened at 9am. I hopped on at 8:55 and it was open so I got all the classes I wanted. Tried to get back on after 9... keeps crashing. This is why I always try to be early for everything B)