Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 4 released May 26th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

The Off-Topic Lounge

mightysparks
Site Admin

Re: The Off-Topic Lounge

Post by mightysparks » April 8th, 2020, 11:29 am

fori wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 10:59 am
mightysparks wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 7:29 am
One of my assignments is to write a film review on a film from the last two years that we felt strongly about... I have about 5 films to choose from :(
Maybe you need a new hobby... :(
It’s the only thing that makes life worth living so I don’t think so. I just have to find better films.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » April 8th, 2020, 12:07 pm

You could also write about a film you felt strongly negative about.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 8th, 2020, 12:54 pm

jvv wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 12:07 pm
You could also write about a film you felt strongly negative about.
I thought about it but I hated slightly less films than I loved and the best option would be Suspiria, but I don’t think I could sit through it again. I’m probably going to go with Hereditary, just wish I had a bigger selection.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 19th, 2020, 3:22 am

I’m not sure if I want to continue my masters at the moment. I want to finish it at some stage but I’m really just not feeling it right now. I’m leaving everything to the last minute, not feeling proud of my work and just wanting to get things done so I don’t have to think about them anymore. I’m trying to make it through the rest of semester (we’re halfway through), but I don’t know whether to take a break after that. Because I have to do things in a certain order, I’d only be able to return during a second semester (~August), which means a whole year. If I make it through the rest of this year, I can start again during any semester. I just don’t know if I can get through the whole year. I could possibly do it part time and just take on the 2 prereq units, but then I’d still have to do another semester at some point to finish the other 2.

I’ve still got some time to make up my mind but I just don’t know what to do :(

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » April 19th, 2020, 4:28 am

Could your feelings about your studies be related to the current pandemic? Most people I talk to who are studying now are saying similar things, asking themselves what the point about it all is. I personally have never felt less motivated to do anything and every day is a struggle, heck, even my advisors are struggling big time... Not trying to negate your feelings or anything, but it's good that have time to make up your mind given the very strange world we live in now.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 19th, 2020, 5:25 am

It's possible. I have been liking it more because I don't have to go in for class (I can't concentrate or learn anything in class, it's utterly pointless to me), but I'm just not feeling motivated about it. Idk if it's because of the pandemic or something else or a combination. I don't have to make a decision until around July but whatever I choose is going to affect the next few years so it's stressing me out now anyway.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 19th, 2020, 5:54 am

Do you have an alternative? It really depends on just how much it bothers you and what your plans both short term and long term are. If I recall you don't have to pay for your studies and are getting some money for it, so if you don't continue will a job be something that would make you happier or just differently miserable? Does what you plan to do with the masters motivate you? It sounds like you'd still plan to do it, not just abandon it, which makes it harder to justify delaying. On the one hand COVID is demotivating, but on the other it sounds like you prefer studying like this, and job opportunities as alternatives will be scarce in the short term, so maybe trudging through to the end is worthwhile. It's hard to read just how unmotivated you are and what the reasons may be, so there's really no one who can give you advice besides yourself.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 19th, 2020, 6:02 am

Not really any alternatives, I'd just continue living on the dole and doing my horrible stocktaking job. I'd prefer to study, but it feels pointless if I'm not getting anything out of it right now except stress. I usually love learning and consolidating everything through the assignments and feel great when I submit my assignments. Now I'm just doing the bare minimum to get by and get it out of my mind ASAP, and having nightmares about terrible grades. I have a student loan so I don't have to pay it off yet, but it still feels pointless to be paying $32k to do a course that I'm not getting anything out of. I have vague ideas about what I'd do with the masters, but nothing really set in stone so idk. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks and I'm leaning towards putting it off or just doing it part time for a while. I just feel like I can't really handle the full time study load right now. I don't even have any other commitments or anything, just my brain ain't working.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 19th, 2020, 10:47 am

Could write books about horror films as an expert surely

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 19th, 2020, 11:29 am

Not really, I don't have anything interesting to add :shrug:

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 19th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Are you have any issues with anything not related to studying? I mean is it your overall mood which is affecting a number of things including the studying or is it only the studying where you are feeling something negative?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 20th, 2020, 12:28 am

Nah, just the studying.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 27th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Tfw you find an ahegao pic that's actually attractive. A sign of the apocalypse

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 30th, 2020, 1:08 am

Unfortunately this seems to be fake which sucks, but this is still hilarious

Nsfw-ishShow

sebby

Post by sebby » April 30th, 2020, 1:35 am

velma looking like a fucking centaur over here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 1st, 2020, 11:13 am

After years of using cheap, blunt knives my boyfriend just returned home to surprise me with an expensive set of Japanese steel knives. OMG they are a dream. And they make a really clear and loud slicey dicey sound from every horror movie when you take them out of the knife block which is a nice bonus.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 1st, 2020, 11:31 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 11:13 am
And they make a really clear and loud slicey dicey sound from every horror movie when you take them out of the knife block which is a nice bonus.
:D

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 1st, 2020, 5:51 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 11:13 am
After years of using cheap, blunt knives my boyfriend just returned home to surprise me with an expensive set of Japanese steel knives. OMG they are a dream. And they make a really clear and loud slicey dicey sound from every horror movie when you take them out of the knife block which is a nice bonus.
I use cheap sharp knives. They don't make a dicey slicey sound when you take them out of the knife block, but they're so sharp that you can cut onions in almost complete silence.

This is my secret:
SpoilerShow
This sucker changes the angle of the edge to the Japanese standard of 15 degrees (from the Western standard of 20 degrees) and keeps them ridiculously sharp. It came with a note saying "be careful, the knives will be sharper than you expect" and they weren't kidding.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 1st, 2020, 8:47 pm

Tomorrow is my birthday. If you'd have asked me a decade ago, I didn't think I'd make it to 27.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 1st, 2020, 8:50 pm

kongs_speech wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:47 pm
Tomorrow is my birthday. If you'd have asked me a decade ago, I didn't think I'd make it to 27.
Congrats on being wrong about that hypothetical question!

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 1st, 2020, 8:53 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:50 pm
kongs_speech wrote:
Thanks! I can't do much to celebrate this year, but I'm going to make the most of it. Mom will make sure I have some good grub.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 1st, 2020, 9:38 pm

kongs_speech wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:53 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:50 pm
kongs_speech wrote:
Thanks! I can't do much to celebrate this year, but I'm going to make the most of it. Mom will make sure I have some good grub.
Treasure the experience. I lost my mom 3 weeks before my last birthday, and it was the first birthday in quite a few years that I spent alone. Spent it watching one of my favorite films, which has this as some of it's early dialogue:

Daniel (on his birthday): You were born alone, you should celebrate it - celebrate aloneness. That's what birthdays are for.
Friend: Gee I never thought of it like that.
Daniel: It's a pitiful theory.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 1st, 2020, 10:09 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 9:38 pm
Treasure the experience. I lost my mom 3 weeks before my last birthday, and it was the first birthday in quite a few years that I spent alone. Spent it watching one of my favorite films, which has this as some of it's early dialogue:

Daniel (on his birthday): You were born alone, you should celebrate it - celebrate aloneness. That's what birthdays are for.
Friend: Gee I never thought of it like that.
Daniel: It's a pitiful theory.
I make sure to spend time with my mom every day. Even if she's just sitting in my room reading a book while I watch movies, at least it's something. I know she won't be around forever and that scares the shit out of me, so I don't take any of it for granted. Very sorry for your loss.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 2nd, 2020, 8:13 pm

This is interesting. I guess the success of these conversations depends on the reasons and personality.
If was ever so done that I wanted out, talking wouldn't solve the problem.

Why do people feel the need to help others stay alive?

What bothers me is that assisted suicide is still banned. Wouldn't that be a great way to talk to everyone who's in crisis too?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 2nd, 2020, 9:07 pm

Armoreska wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 8:13 pm
This is interesting. I guess the success of these conversations depends on the reasons and personality.
If was ever so done that I wanted out, talking wouldn't solve the problem.

Why do people feel the need to help others stay alive?
Because there are a lot of reasons people contemplate suicide and in the vast majority of them there are solutions that they cannot see in their current situation. Some people do see suicide prevention as a need to help others stay alive at all costs, but I don't agree with that perspective. Suicide prevention is about helping people gain perspective and giving them time to talk and consider their actions. In the vast majority of cases what people want isn't "out" of life, they want "out" of a situation, sometimes simple sometimes complex, they find themselves in and feel like getting "out" of life is the only way. It very rarely is, but it can feel that way, and those hotlines exist so that people who feel like they have nothing more to lose can give it a shot and see if maybe they can find another solution.
What bothers me is that assisted suicide is still banned. Wouldn't that be a great way to talk to everyone who's in crisis too?
I agree, it would. There are a few places where this is not banned and as we as a society begin to grapple with the complexity of situations I hope it, and the accompanying therapy and guidance, become much more common place.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 8th, 2020, 9:11 pm

I've barely been here a month and hit 100 posts already. Apologies for not shutting up. :lol:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 9th, 2020, 5:35 am

kongs_speech wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 9:11 pm
I've barely been here a month and hit 100 posts already. Apologies for not shutting up. :lol:
Please, don't shut up. :thumbsup:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 10th, 2020, 5:21 am

any Portuguese speakers who wouldn't mind helping me on some intertitle translation, please PM me! thanks!

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 14th, 2020, 12:21 am

sebby wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 1:35 am
velma looking like a fucking centaur over here
You'll be pleased to know that this exists now

https://shop.tastelessgentlemen.com/pro ... 3AdGvy4cXc

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 24th, 2020, 9:07 am

So I've been having to use a mirror site for erm, legally acquiring movies, lately but I started clicking on a search result that came up in the address bar rather than going to the the home page. But when I went to that link just now I got:
Are you a fucking IP + Port scanner?

I agree that interesting things can be found, like this page.

Good luck with life.
I just like my link :(

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 26th, 2020, 2:16 am

I ran to a bus stop. A woman was walking there too. She then turns around towards me and takes off her pants. I then looked away cause I had no clue what to do. I've never been so confused. She didn't get on the bus

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 26th, 2020, 2:40 am

she's clearly been inside too long.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 27th, 2020, 1:06 am

I don't follow YouTube drama usually, but keemstar is going through some trouble now. This happened last year and got a lot more popular and is one of the most depressing and disgusting things I've seen, especially since I had psychosis in the past.

A famous gamer is bipolar and has a psychotic episode. Gets released from the hospital a few hours later (wasn't enough close to a good enough state to leave) and was interviewed be keemstar the same day. Less than a month after this he kills himself and I'm guessing this interview had a big part of it

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » Today, 1:17 am

I've had really bad neck pain for over a week now and it's actually driving me insane. At first it felt like I just needed to crack my neck, but I couldn't. Usually when I get this kind of pain it's over within a day or two. Then the big bulby bone bit on my spine felt sore if I put pressure on it and I could kind of move those bony bits around and they'd crack a bit, and I figured that was the problem. Then yesterday, another bulby bone bit further up my neck seems to be the main source of pain, as well as the original pain. No position is comfortable to sit, sleep or stand. Until yesterday, putting my head back would crack my neck and give me temporarily relief, but now it feels like there's nerve pain as well and the new pain area hurts when I put my head back. I've tried every stretch and position I could find and NOTHING IS HELPING. I have three fecking assignments to finish by next Sunday so I don't really have time to rest and being on the computer certainly isn't helping. Just let me die :'(

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » Today, 2:11 am

My local police precinct is officially Fort Apache, Brooklyn. Hundreds of cops in riot gear. I'm not sure I've ever felt so much nervous energy in New York. I wish I was still out there, but my hip is so messed up right now that I could barely limp out eight blocks.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » Today, 2:43 am

blocho wrote:
Today, 2:11 am
My local police precinct is officially Fort Apache, Brooklyn. Hundreds of cops in riot gear. I'm not sure I've ever felt so much nervous energy in New York. I wish I was still out there, but my hip is so messed up right now that I could barely limp out eight blocks.
I discussed this with a coworker. Tbh I'd be in the frontlines if I lived in America. As a white man I'll be a lot more safe because if a cop would kill me even people in Mongolia will hear about it.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » Today, 3:29 am

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
Today, 2:43 am
blocho wrote:
Today, 2:11 am
I discussed this with a coworker. Tbh I'd be in the frontlines if I lived in America. As a white man I'll be a lot more safe because if a cop would kill me even people in Mongolia will hear about it.
It occurs to me suddenly that the police are actually the worst option for handling public safety at an event where people are protesting the police. I don't know why it took me decades to have this insight, but to be fair I've never heard anyone else say it. Cities should have mediators or social workers or something as front-line people in situations like this, and have the police hang back.

What if instead of meeting protestors with riot cops holding batons, cities handed out ice cream and played the song below on a loop? Hard to get violent when George Benson is jamming. Plus, it's cheaper than paying cops overtime and settling the hundreds of civil suits that are sure to follow.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » 56 minutes ago

America doesn’t even seem real sometimes