Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: La religieuse, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st), Match QFD: Estonia vs Russia (Oct 11th)

The Off-Topic Lounge

sebby

Re: The Off-Topic Lounge

Post by sebby » February 19th, 2020, 5:49 am

funkybusiness wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 1:48 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 1:41 am
sebby wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 12:38 am
Meanwhile I owe the IRS like 7k.

SAVEMEBERNIE
Holy shit, man. That’s rough.
absolutely. did you have it done by one of those chain places, sebby? or just like, turbo tax.
HR Block online. I'm an independent contractor which is why. I get double taxed. But pre-Trump it was never such a large chunk. Whatever changes have been made ain't done benefited the likes of me. Thankfully I've been putting 1/3 of my paycheck into a hy savings acct so I have roughly 7500 in there which will pay it off, but man, I was really expecting the number to be lower so I could at least maintain a larger savings safety net. I pay a more significant portion of my monies to the IRS than the world's richest man, and yet half+ of this country sees no problem with an upcoming trump or bloomer presidency. such a fun fact right there.

I could go to my buddy's shady-seeming strip-mall tax lady that works miracles with his paperwork, but I don't think it's on the up and up and I really don't wanna get audited down the line.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 19th, 2020, 6:10 am

damn that really sucks. I wish I had some solid advice but there's probably no one less qualified to be giving tax advice on the forums.

re: shady strip-mall tax ladies, it's kinda weird how crazy paranoid we USers are about taxes. there was a recent NSTAAF podcast where they said that only like 50% of Greeks and a staggering 2% of Pakistanis pay their taxes at all! wiki sez " Tax evasion was described by Greek politicians as "a national sport"".

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 19th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Have you made enough where turning it into a consultant corporation is benificial?

sebby

Post by sebby » February 19th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 12:56 pm
Have you made enough where turning it into a consultant corporation is benificial?
Ah yes...consultant corporation....I totally know what that is... :unsure:

I make about 2600 usd per month. So not a lot.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 19th, 2020, 1:19 pm

sebby wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Contractors when making enough turn it into a corporation business and then pay themselves either through a payroll or dividends. Sometimes it's cheaper to do it that way, especially when the right is in power.

But then again I know America doesn't follow the international accountung laws (like they do with fahrenheit) so it might be way different.

fori

Post by fori » February 21st, 2020, 1:20 am

Sebby’s post here got me thinking... it might make sense for some people who would stand to benefit massively from the Sanders agenda to place a bet that Bernie doesn’t win. Obviously I’d need to look at the numbers and know the specifics of the individual, but at this point Sanders is probably a strong favourite, and hedging this way probably isn’t as silly as you might initially assume. I personally think the chances of a Sanders presidency coming to fruition are not that high.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 21st, 2020, 9:56 am

Any gambler knows that you never bet on the favorite

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 21st, 2020, 11:27 am

People that stand to gain from social aid should probably not bet at all

fori

Post by fori » February 21st, 2020, 11:49 am

Onderhond wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 11:27 am
People that stand to gain from social aid should probably not bet at all
lol have to agree with that. I never gamble personally, just found myself intrigued by the possibilities there for a minute. The whole idea was basically to guarantee some sort of win either way. He wins, the social programs will give you far more than you lose on the bet. He loses, you at least get some compensation. There are obviously complications on both sides of that equation though.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 21st, 2020, 8:18 pm

I'm moving to a new apartment, and I needed a lot of furniture. And even though I always vaguely disliked Ikea for its ubiquity not to mention its Nazi ties, I caved and decided to shop in home furnishings fantasyland. I figured I would save money, and the product must be OK if it's so popular.

It was all a lie. Ikea has been a legitimate nightmare. I had to push back my move a week because of bullshit with their delivery methods. And now that the furniture is here, I've discovered that two pieces are broken. Plus a half dozen other annoying things.

This is my revenge. I'm going to subtly influence the few dozen people who read this post, and maybe down the line a couple of people will think twice about buying Ikea shit. Also, I know it's not fair, but I can't help faulting Sweden as a whole for this.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 21st, 2020, 8:21 pm

Yea I ended up getting some stuff for my partner for the new bedroom since I thought that we gotta have the stuff for when we move in together anyways. The computer desk is fine. The wardrobes are mediocre but work I guess. It all turned to shit with the bed frame. The support of the bed frame keeps getting loose and falling down and so we have to prop it back up. At first I thought it was on me because I'm terrible at DIY, but it turns out it's quite a common issue.

fori

Post by fori » February 21st, 2020, 11:25 pm

^use tape, I had a bed of that sort in my old place.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 21st, 2020, 11:30 pm

I've only bought a couple of things from Ikea. My old bed frame, which I don't have now since I upgraded from single to queen, and my fabulous chair. This is actually my second version of Markus since after 6-7 years of constant use the 'gas' in the other one stopped working and it kept falling down every time I sat in it. I've had this one since 2014/2015 and it's still going strong. It's my favourite chair ever and I love it.

But also never used their delivery and picked everything up from the store so yea. I hate the store though, it's a horrible maze.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 22nd, 2020, 12:50 am

February 19th, 2020, 1:19 pm
sebby wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Contractors when making enough turn it into a corporation business and then pay themselves either through a payroll or dividends. Sometimes it's cheaper to do it that way, especially when the right is in power.

But then again I know America doesn't follow the international accountung laws (like they do with fahrenheit) so it might be way different.
Wait - I can actually have input on this!

I, too, am an independent contractor doing some consulting (currently as a side gig, I've only "consulted" one hour so far this year, but was doing it for 20-25 hrs/week for a couple years).

My tactic was to incorporate as an LLC (Limited Liability Corp). There are state differences as to where you incorporate (I'm in WA), but an LLC allows you to operate as a business while limiting any risk you (people can sue your business for everything it's worth, but can't take your house/car/Magic the Gathering card collection, assuming they are owned by YOU and not your business). There are some costs (~$100/yr) and annoying reporting requirements if you incorporate, but it's not bad. Because you're incorporated, you don't get that individual contractor penalty, and you have a lot more freedom to deduct business expenses. Also, businesses are better able to pay you for small services if you're incorporated, as they don't have to fill out a 1099 for an independent contractor; you're actually a business, and they can pay B2B without issue.

Your mileage my vary, but it was one of the better decisions for me. In fact, I had a contact who basically told me he wanted to pay me to do things for his start-up, but could only do it if I was incorporated.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 22nd, 2020, 8:59 am

I had an ikea bedframe break on me during physical bed related activities. Could have been utterly disastrous and led to serious injury. Fuck those clowns and their clown furniture.

If you're willing to buy used, you can get actual good furniture on the cheap. I got my Herman Miller Mirra office chair for $200, for example. Cheaper than an Ikea Markus and better in every way. Also had a beautiful Lane table and Drexel dresser, both half a century old and sturdy as fuck, and paid less than $200 for each. Ikea is fine for college students who need a beer pong table or something that they'll throw out their second story window into a dumpster at the end of the school year, I guess. For real human applications, it tends to disappoint.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 22nd, 2020, 9:53 pm

The Ikea situation has become ridiculous. Today, after more than six phone calls and a collective 90 minutes on hold, I managed to get them to agree to send me replacement parts for the items that arrived broken. Then came the kicker. They will arrive in 7-14 business days. I asked why they couldn't ship overnight or at least two-day, and they said it was "not standard." Fuck this company.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 24th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Bizarre statistical coincident (films seen per year):

1960: 106 (almost)
-
1961: 107
1962: 107
-
1963: 110 (almost)
-
1964: 132
1965: 132
1966: 132
1967: 132
-
1968: 149
1969: 149
-
1970: 172
1971: 172

:mellow:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 25th, 2020, 1:01 pm

My boyfriend had this weird bunch of pimples on his shoulder that turned into a rash, and over the last couple days he developed more. We googled it and assumed it was shingles but he’d never had chickenpox. Went to the docs, and it is shingles. Poor guy has been developing more, and looks like he’s getting some on his face now. I’ve never had chickenpox so we’re trying to avoid physical contact (except his left side since it’s only on his right), and he’s so sad and tired :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 28th, 2020, 3:47 am

I think it was brought up once before, but the ad tracking stuff is really creepy. I streamed a lecture from my uni site and the lecturer mentioned The Betoota Advocate and showed a screenshot from it on a slide. Then I went to Facebook and got a bunch of ads from The Betoota Advocate. I don't even know how they tracked that...

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 28th, 2020, 4:36 am

mightysparks wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 3:47 am
I think it was brought up once before, but the ad tracking stuff is really creepy. I streamed a lecture from my uni site and the lecturer mentioned The Betoota Advocate and showed a screenshot from it on a slide. Then I went to Facebook and got a bunch of ads from The Betoota Advocate. I don't even know how they tracked that...
I bet you had a mic on. Phone or something. FB is creepy as hell. :circle:

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 20th, 2020, 1:06 am

Tfw you find your doppleganger. Not really looks-wise (has the hair I decided on getting before I found out about him though) but personality, views, background, orientation, and hobbies are the same.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 21st, 2020, 3:51 pm

I assume this was with the meds too but I was able to overcome my psychotic episode without help. With this, a briggs-meyer test that I took on a gaming meetup app, and people telling me this, perhaps I could make a good counselor? I'll have that relatability factor for the clients because I'm very sick myself. I would need a bachelor's and master's degree though. Because I already have a degree I could get the Bachelor's in a little over 3 years if I do all 3 semesters and 3 courses at a time for work and stress handling. I'll ask my psychiatrist this on my next appointment and give it a year to think about it.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 22nd, 2020, 5:47 am

Just submitted my first assignment for this semester. It was a copyedit on a manuscript, and goddamn it do I hate commas now. I've spent hours deciding over one stupid little comma.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 22nd, 2020, 5:57 am

mightysparks wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 5:47 am
Just submitted my first assignment for this semester. It was a copyedit on a manuscript, and goddamn it do I hate commas now. I've spent hours deciding over one stupid little comma.
whatever you finally decided upon, it was definitely the opposite.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 22nd, 2020, 6:04 am

funkybusiness wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 5:57 am
mightysparks wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 5:47 am
whatever you finally decided upon, it was definitely the opposite.
I expect so :( I'm only mildly confident in my attempt overall. Many hours were spent over other commas too...

sebby

Post by sebby » March 22nd, 2020, 8:35 am

I am fairly liberal about kicking the commas out of my sentences and I hate anyone that over-peppers their writing with said punctuation mark.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 22nd, 2020, 5:02 pm

Commas, being the, rather bland, spice of punctuation, help add an, occasionally annoying, aroma of sophistication to sentences, especially those that would, otherwise, be overly short and blunt.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 24th, 2020, 9:01 am

We’ve had a cockroach problem for a while. We found one in our bathroom at one point and tried chucking it outside but it kept coming back. Eventually we captured it and dropped it off in another suburb. Then another family moved in. There were two adults and a couple of babies. We only ever saw them in the bathroom so we just tried to coexist with them. Then they started leaving to go into my partner’s room and crawling up his legs. Then they started going into the kitchen and near my desk. I did a huge clean a while ago and we tried to leave less scraps and crumbs hoping it would deter them. But it didn’t, so our last resort was to get cockroach bait which we reluctantly put around the apartment a couple of days ago. I went into the bathroom just now and one of the smaller ones is struggling to walk, obviously poisoned and dying and now I feel awful. I had to leave just so I wouldn’t cry. I was hoping they’d go die quickly and painlessly in the walls not slowly in front of me. I kind of want to just crush it to end its suffering and take all the baits away :( This sucks.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 25th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Cockroaches suck. And there are a hell of a lot more than you see, so it's not just "one family". They only start "showing up" once there are already hundreds in the house. Kill on sight, bait in the kitchen and other food areas and spray for them everywhere else, including the outside of the house. Use two different pesticides (active ingredients) for inside and outside. If you don't do this and keep it up your house will be overrun.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 27th, 2020, 5:09 am

I came back from the shop earlier and went to have a shower to find no water running. It was back 10 minutes later but coming out brown. I left it running for ages but more brown and some sand :/ then I went to my desk and heard a clicking noise so went to investigate; the back of the kitchen counter had a small drip that was dripping into my box of computer stuff. It’s behind my desk and a treadmill so I couldn’t move either but managed to get a bucket there. My dad organized a plumber to come out in 2 hours but looks like we won’t have clean water for Probably a week. I called my mum to ask if I could come down to have a shower tomorrow and she tells me that the vet is coming in a few hours to put the dog down. I don’t even know what to do with myself everything is just going crazy. Obviously the two essays are not getting done.. Wtf 2020

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 27th, 2020, 5:15 am

jesus, what a shitty string of events. don't open your email or your professors will undo that deadline delay and want your essays yesterday.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 27th, 2020, 6:11 am

Well the plumber came early and is coming back tomorrow to fix it. I was worried it was going to take much longer, but looks like worse case scenario is replacing the ‘back’ system of pipes which will still be done in one day. Probably going to be expensive for my dad but at least it will be fixed. I’ve had to pack up my desk and computer to make room so I think I’m just going to play Animal Crossing and/or watch Netflix crap and drown my sorrows for the rest of the day.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 1st, 2020, 2:02 pm

My bus didn't go once yesterday because she stopped out of nowhere to use the phone, and wouldn't stop starring at me the entire time. The next bus driver was on the phone all the time too. While walking to work, someone was in their car talking on the phone and starring at me. On the way back to work someone who was wearing so much black clothing that I couldn't even see his face was following me for the majority of the trip.

Today I got a letter from disability. They are threatening to kick me off of it because they don't believe me that I have a job. I'm on an employment support program and they send the stuff for me. They LITERALLY include a picture of the paystubs since it's all on an app. I know that the case worker receives them because I got registered on an email website that confirms them. She hasn't "accepted" the latest one yet, but there's proof that I've sent it. I'm getting my employment support program case worker to deal with this for now because if I directly call her it'll be toxic. If I hear nothing by tomorrow I'll call her myself.

The nazis have more power than I thought they did. First I thought they were just working together with those roommates to try to get white men away from the left and to join the nazis. But now, this seems much bigger than that. They managed to get government workers involved in this as well. WTF do they want from me?

I still don't think I believe it 100%, but fuck all this evidence is making it so much more convincing.

EDIT: Tried to relax with some music I like, but when hearing this I heard the name of a coworker I hate repeating, and then the word kill repeating :\ I'd consider the hospital now if it wasn't for the virus

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 1st, 2020, 4:38 pm

April 1st, 2020, 2:02 pm
My bus didn't go once yesterday because she stopped out of nowhere to use the phone, and wouldn't stop starring at me the entire time. The next bus driver was on the phone all the time too. While walking to work, someone was in their car talking on the phone and starring at me. On the way back to work someone who was wearing so much black clothing that I couldn't even see his face was following me for the majority of the trip.
You know this is probably your paranoia right?

I think the stress of everything is getting to you :hug:

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 1st, 2020, 6:17 pm

April 1st, 2020, 2:02 pm
The nazis have more power than I thought they did. First I thought they were just working together with those roommates to try to get white men away from the left and to join the nazis. But now, this seems much bigger than that. They managed to get government workers involved in this as well. WTF do they want from me?

I still don't think I believe it 100%, but fuck all this evidence is making it so much more convincing.
It's just your mind messing with you again. I know that the housing situation is stressing you out, but this is just a coincidence. An unfortunate one, yes, but a coincidence none the less. I'm sure the job thing is just the usual government snafu.
ImageImageImageImage

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 5th, 2020, 1:49 am

It finally happened. My embarassing lizard brain moment. While I was in the bus there was a woman walking outside and when she turned and I saw her ass I actually said oh my god out loud because I thought it was that nice. Was so embarrassed for the rest of the bus ride.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 5th, 2020, 6:16 am

April 5th, 2020, 1:49 am
It finally happened. My embarassing lizard brain moment. While I was in the bus there was a woman walking outside and when she turned and I saw her ass I actually said oh my god out loud because I thought it was that nice. Was so embarrassed for the rest of the bus ride.
:facepalm: :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 6th, 2020, 5:27 pm

ImageImageImageImage

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 8th, 2020, 7:29 am

One of my assignments is to write a film review on a film from the last two years that we felt strongly about... I have about 5 films to choose from :(

fori

Post by fori » April 8th, 2020, 10:59 am

mightysparks wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 7:29 am
One of my assignments is to write a film review on a film from the last two years that we felt strongly about... I have about 5 films to choose from :(
Maybe you need a new hobby... :(