Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

The Off-Topic Lounge

peeptoad

Re: The Off-Topic Lounge

Post by peeptoad » November 25th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Thanksgiving is possibly my favorite holiday for a few reasons:
1. FOOD
2. the extended family we tend to see are family members whose company I actually enjoy (my hippie aunt and uncle from Canada)
3. movies and/or football
4. nice hiking weather (since it hasn't yet turned so damn cold where I live, but it's cool and brisk and good for being in the woods)
5. booze

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 26th, 2019, 1:06 am

I'm down for 1, 3, and 5 from your list, peeptoad. Family = boo, and Hiking would be fun if I could bring my older dog (he's too mean and bitey to be around other dogs/people).

And @mightysparks:
Your mileage may vary, but I've found that being a miserable misanthropic asshole who avoids social media really cuts down on the number of people who want to spend time with me. The only family member I'm seeing for Thanksgiving is my wife.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 26th, 2019, 2:30 am

Yea well I usually am like that but some of my family are overly needy apparently, and it seems like a few have crawled out of the woodwork since I’ve gotten healthier - idk if just a coincidence. They all know I prefer to be alone and am not really a social person but what I want doesn’t seem to matter. I’m grumpy and I’m not ‘fun’ at all so I really don’t see the appeal. I remember once for my birthday I just wanted to play Team Fortress 2 and my nan just came over uninvited and then got annoyed when I didn’t spend all my time with her. It’s my fecking birthday I should get to choose how I spend it. I wanted to go away with my boyfriend for Christmas but he’s going away with his family so I’m gonna get stuck with mine :(

For Thanksgiving, I’m thankful we don’t celebrate it in Australia tehe
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 26th, 2019, 10:19 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 1:06 am
... I've found that being a miserable misanthropic asshole who avoids social media really cuts down on the number of people who want to spend time with me.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » November 26th, 2019, 6:02 pm

You wonderful anti-social folks are one of the things I love about this forum. :cheers: I'm glad my family isn't that needy (but they don't live in Poland anyway).
Last edited by Lammetje on November 27th, 2019, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 26th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Yeah, this forum is the perfect level of daily socializing. I talk to people, but not synchronously, and I can do it without wearing pants. My IRL friends have a "Max must wear pants" rule.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 27th, 2019, 12:39 am

Cocoa wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 2:11 am
Ugh, I want a new laptop and Black Friday/Thanksgiving week is usually one of the best times in America to get a good deal on laptops. I just don't know what to get. All the cheap laptops are made by brands that tend to suck :\ If I don't buy a new laptop within the next couple of weeks, then I will probably wait one entire year to get a new one.

The current laptop I'm using is a Lenovo Ideapad I purchased three(?) years ago around this time of year, but right now there are three different ways that cause my computer to shut off when I don't want it to shut down. (1. Sometimes my laptop doesn't recognize my HDMI cord that's plugged in and will shut down my computer...although I blame a Windows update from a few months ago as likely the thing that caused this problem -_- 2. If the power cord gets unplugged from my laptop, then it will shut down even though there is still battery life -_- That is also a problem I didn't always have. 3. If I elevate a part of my laptop too much, then it will shut down -_- ) My laptop has been unexpectedly shutting down a lot the past few months, even several times a day occasionally.

I don't need a high processing gaming laptop, but I don't want to purchase a laptop that takes over 30 minutes to load simple tasks or have other issues. I've been looking at some ads and idk if a Chromebook is good. I don't like using Chrome because it tends to be way slower and crash more often than Firefox no matter which computer I've used in the past, so a thing called the "Chrome"book doesn't excite me at all but I've seen a version of it under $100. I don't plan on buying anything that's more than $400, preferably something not more than $250 but all the brands under that price suck! I miss when I was a loyal Toshiba consumer in the early 2010s when they used to make good laptops and I never found a good substitute once they fell off the radar for making good laptops in the US at a reasonable price.

Ugh, I want a new laptop but I don't want to buy something that destroys my budget or becomes slow and useless after a few months.
First off, have you tried opening up your laptop? It sounds like there may be a loose connection somewhere with issue 2 and 3. A good "cleaning" might help a bit too, laptop tend to gather dust and then overheat.

Chromebooks have little to do with the Chrome browser, they're using the ChromeOS from Google (similar to, but different from, Android). Quality can vary a lot, depending on manufacturer and model. I hate to say it, but you get what you pay for. Don't expect to be wowed by a sub-$100 Chromebook.

What do you use your laptop for? I've used laptops as desktop replacement for years, but I'm a little tired of that, so I recently bought a "server" for home use that I plan to use for the more "heavy lifting" and then get a new laptop that's a lot more lightweight (both in terms of size and CPU). That way I can carry less around. Unfortunately, once you start looking for 13" screens, prices tend to go up rather than down...

My current laptop is an old Asus ultrabook that I bought refurbished in 2012 or 2013. Its hard drive died shortly after bought it, but it was still under warranty, so no biggie. All the other problems I've had with it are due to liquid spills which can kill almost any laptop. It really is on its last legs now, though, but I can't complain, having used it daily for 6-7 years.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 27th, 2019, 12:48 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 10:43 pm
Yeah, this forum is the perfect level of daily socializing. I talk to people, but not synchronously, and I can do it without wearing pants. My IRL friends have a "Max must wear pants" rule.
Yea, one of the family members I was forced to meet up with recently asked me if I was bothered that my boyfriend works so much (usually 7+ hours every day, a day off maybe once a month). I was like hell nah I get to spend all day by myself and then spend the evenings with him. The forum is the only extra socializing I really like or need, especially since I have no one to talk about film or nerdy list and spreadsheet stuff. When I tell people I’m working through a list of films/albums etc they really don’t get it :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 27th, 2019, 12:58 am

And speaking of the forum and lists... today is my 10th anniversary of iCheckMovies! :party: :cheers:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 27th, 2019, 1:32 am

mightysparks wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 12:58 am
And speaking of the forum and lists... today is my 10th anniversary of iCheckMovies! :party: :cheers:
:cheers: :banana: :cheers: :banana: :cheers:

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » November 27th, 2019, 3:02 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 12:39 am
First off, have you tried opening up your laptop? It sounds like there may be a loose connection somewhere with issue 2 and 3. A good "cleaning" might help a bit too, laptop tend to gather dust and then overheat.

Chromebooks have little to do with the Chrome browser, they're using the ChromeOS from Google (similar to, but different from, Android). Quality can vary a lot, depending on manufacturer and model. I hate to say it, but you get what you pay for. Don't expect to be wowed by a sub-$100 Chromebook.

What do you use your laptop for? I've used laptops as desktop replacement for years, but I'm a little tired of that, so I recently bought a "server" for home use that I plan to use for the more "heavy lifting" and then get a new laptop that's a lot more lightweight (both in terms of size and CPU). That way I can carry less around. Unfortunately, once you start looking for 13" screens, prices tend to go up rather than down...

My current laptop is an old Asus ultrabook that I bought refurbished in 2012 or 2013. Its hard drive died shortly after bought it, but it was still under warranty, so no biggie. All the other problems I've had with it are due to liquid spills which can kill almost any laptop. It really is on its last legs now, though, but I can't complain, having used it daily for 6-7 years.
Thanks for the advice. I haven't done any good cleaning regarding that aspect. My laptop doesn't have any overheating issues, which is one of the few good things about it as most of my previous laptops tend to produce a bunch of heat.

I don't have a desktop, so my laptop is the primary computer I use. I don't use it for any heavy programming stuff (just internet, microsoft excel/word/powerpoint, and a few other minor stuff), but I love to multi-task and I usually have a bunch of programs and tabs open at the same time. Mostly school work and job-related work in the past, although I graduated last year so my laptop mostly stays in my home unless I'm traveling.

I've never had an Asus, so that brand that's unfamiliar to me. I ended up buying a new laptop today that's going to be delivered next week. It's the same brand as my current laptop, Lenovo. The laptop model was just posted today on Amazon, so there are no reviews for it, but it looks similar enough to my current laptop with the same size of display (15.6") and it has 8GB ram (while my current laptop has 6GB). It was under $300, so I'll be happy if it'll last for a few years. Although I did find what seems to be the same model of the laptop through Google on a few other sites but all of those have 4GB so I'm hoping I'm not being lied to.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 27th, 2019, 11:53 am

mightysparks wrote:
:party: :party: :party:

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 27th, 2019, 12:13 pm

mightysparks wrote:
:party: :cheers: :cheers: :party:

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 27th, 2019, 8:03 pm

mightysparks wrote:
Congrats! I've yet to wait another month for mine. December 24th, 2009.
ImageImageImageImage

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 21st, 2019, 6:27 am

Just went for a swim at the beach. At some point a woman in a bikini came and set up on a towel a little bit away from where we were swimming. She took some selfies from every angle, then walked over to the water and took some more selfies with the water in the background, and some of her feet. Then she went and sat down, hunched over her phone unmoving for 20 minutes. Then got up and went in the water for 10 seconds, and then left. It was one of the saddest and most pathetic things I've ever seen.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 25th, 2019, 3:14 am

I’ve been dreading Christmas all year. I’ve been here 20 minutes, and my dad and nan were discussing having seafood next Christmas and my nan goes oh you don’t like seafood do you Lauren. I said no, but I’m vegetarian and then my dad starts yelling ‘just give her salad, can’t eat meat, can’t do anything, blah blah’. I want to leave already.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 25th, 2019, 3:42 am

mightysparks wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 3:14 am
I’ve been dreading Christmas all year. I’ve been here 20 minutes, and my dad and nan were discussing having seafood next Christmas and my nan goes oh you don’t like seafood do you Lauren. I said no, but I’m vegetarian and then my dad starts yelling ‘just give her salad, can’t eat meat, can’t do anything, blah blah’. I want to leave already.
It seems like your family causes you a lot of pain. Is there any way to lessen their presence/involvement in your life?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 25th, 2019, 4:12 am

blocho wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 3:42 am
mightysparks wrote:
It seems like your family causes you a lot of pain. Is there any way to lessen their presence/involvement in your life?
I barely see them as it is, just Easter/Father’s Day/Christmas, some birthdays and a couple other occasions. I’m staying in a place my dad owns so I have to keep in contact somewhat regularly but he’s the worst of them. I’m just trying to stay silent and only speak when spoken to, keeping my answers short but still almost every answer has copped a sarcastic response or insult.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » December 25th, 2019, 11:49 am

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » December 25th, 2019, 11:57 am

mightysparks wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 4:12 am
blocho wrote:
mightysparks wrote:
I barely see them as it is, just Easter/Father’s Day/Christmas, some birthdays and a couple other occasions. I’m staying in a place my dad owns so I have to keep in contact somewhat regularly but he’s the worst of them. I’m just trying to stay silent and only speak when spoken to, keeping my answers short but still almost every answer has copped a sarcastic response or insult.
I wouldn't call that 'barely'. I like my parents and see them maybe twice a year on average. I see my sister even less and I haven't spoken to any of my uncles, aunts or cousins in a couple of years now.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 25th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Well, it feels pretty bare minimum, especially as we used to visit them every weekend. I could probably skip out on some birthdays, but if I miss the big stuff I better have a good reason or it’ll come up every time I see them (my brother missed a couple events one year and we never heard the end of it). I thought my family didn’t care about this kind of stuff and it sucks that they do.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 26th, 2019, 8:17 am

Lammetje wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:57 am
mightysparks wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 4:12 am
blocho wrote:

I wouldn't call that 'barely'. I like my parents and see them maybe twice a year on average. I see my sister even less and I haven't spoken to any of my uncles, aunts or cousins in a couple of years now.
But you live in another country a day's ride from your parents. Lauren and her parents all live in Perth, I guess. Makes a lot of difference. Dutchies (at least the ones from the "randstad") think something is "far away" when you cross the German border.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 31st, 2019, 11:24 am

To celebrate the end of 2019

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 1st, 2020, 7:50 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ument-case

That is the way to escape, they should make a film about it!

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » January 3rd, 2020, 5:38 am

Cippenham wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 7:50 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ument-case

That is the way to escape, they should make a film about it!
I am doubtful the whole story of this affair will come to light, but I'd sure love to know what the heck was going on with both the court case and the crazy escape. Ghosn has been claiming from the start that the Japanese Nissan execs were pulling out their old boy network government connections to railroad him out of the company.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 4th, 2020, 5:17 pm

I haven’t really been following the bushfire stuff coz it happens every year and Perth gets left alone by these things so I always ignore it, but I keep seeing it more and more on Reddit so I’ve been reading about it a bit. Insane amount of damage and all those poor animals :( Fire scares the hell out of me and the photos are terrifying.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 4th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Are people starting fires deliberately? Also could be poor fire management.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 4th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Climate change is to blame I'm sure of it. California had some of its worst fires recently too.

fori

Post by fori » January 5th, 2020, 12:02 am

It’s fucked up. We can’t breathe in Sydney from the fumes. My wife actually showed me on the bushfire tracker that there was an out of control fire in a park walking distance from where we live. Fortunately there haven’t been as many deaths as 2009 in Victoria, which was nuts.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 5th, 2020, 7:14 am

Oh good - I'm glad y'all are talking about this. What I'm seeing is scary... literally fucking terrifying.

fori

Post by fori » January 5th, 2020, 9:14 am

Actually it’s kind of amazing it’s taken this long to precipitate into international news... its been months.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 5th, 2020, 9:31 am

Since climate change caused by humans is against the first two laws of thermodynamics it could be natural causes but I do suspect some are start deliberately and there is poor Management https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6085215683001

And fires had been reduced in recent years
Last edited by Cippenham on January 5th, 2020, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 5th, 2020, 9:35 am

See reason above for fires

Chilton

Post by Chilton » January 5th, 2020, 8:13 pm

Cippenham wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 9:31 am
Since climate change caused by humans is against the first two laws of thermodynamics
:facepalm: :facepalm:

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 5th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Cippenham wrote:
Since climate change caused by humans is against the first two laws of thermodynamics
Kindly explain, in your on words, how this is the case.
ImageImageImageImage

sebby

Post by sebby » January 5th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 8:46 pm
Cippenham wrote:
Kindly explain, in your on words, how this is the case.
I, too, need a good laugh today.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 6th, 2020, 6:24 am

So I've been turning more insane ever since I took a max dose of my mood stabilizer. More hallucinations and maladaptive daydreaming which causes me to talk to people in my dream out loud in real life accidentally. The thing is that this is a rare side effect. The tradeoff is that I havent even felt depressed ever since increasing it. In fact I feel great.

Not sure what's the better scenario. More insane but no suicide attempts, or less insane but will do suicide attempts.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 6th, 2020, 7:45 am

Is it the kind of side effect that fades or one that increases over time? If it fades then I guess as long as you can manage it the tradeoff is fine, but if it's something that will stick or maybe get worse then that sounds like a risky proposition. I've never had a break with reality so I don't know how it feels or how self aware you can be but the idea feels so scary to me.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 6th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Yea I really dunno. They can be realistic so in retrospect I sometimes have trouble over figuring out which ones were real and which were my daydreams.

The part I dont like is being so into it that I even talk to them out loud. I end up looking like those "crazy people" in public that makes everyone uncomfortable and it's humiliating.