Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

The Off-Topic Lounge

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Re: The Off-Topic Lounge

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 30th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Two side notes: Firstly, the shift from floppy disc to CDROM must have been MINDBLOWING. The size difference is by far the largest I've seen with digital storage.

Honestly, the only solution to play and record this game might be to get a Windows 98 PC and use a capture card. The problem with that is, for some reason Windows 98 PCs are fucking expensive. A few hundred in the classifieds section and I even found a PC store that sells new ones but they reach 1 grand in price.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 30th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Alright I figured it out if anyone is curious. I used dosbox and installed windows 3.1 in it. The resolution is really tiny for this even if the windows itself is decent, but I don't think there's a way around that.

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770 This one is for installing the program. I combined it with this youtube tutorial on how to install the CD.

EDIT: I couldn't figure how to play a new video on there though. Tried virtualdub but I was in over my head. This shouldn't be a surprise, but trying to convert a video so that it will work on a 26 year old operating system isn't very easy lol.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 2nd, 2019, 10:12 pm

But to do all that you are a guy of great worth and intelligence, give yourself a win

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 4th, 2019, 6:18 am

Went for lunch with my mum's mum this afternoon, I see her every couple of months. When she asked me what star-sign my boyfriend was, I had to bite my tongue. Wow, she went on about Scorpios for about 20 minutes. She also mentioned she was into past lives and 'the moon positions' or whatever , man that was a tough convo to sit through.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 6th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Went kayaking today. It was 19 degrees, UV was 8.5 and we only went for 2 hours so I thought I’d get away with not putting sunscreen on... and I’m a lobster. My legs and feet got it the worst, my thighs burn like hell and my feet itch; I just had work and my shoes were irritating the burn I wanted to die. My face and arms got burnt too but not as bad. I’m never leaving the house without sunscreen again screw this.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 7th, 2019, 2:23 pm

I dunno wtf is going on. I got a random phone call that left no message (I never answer phone calls). I google the number and I get a sexual assault support services page in a university that is here. However, the number was not on that page and it was a different area code, but why did that come up on google? I'm thinking that I'm a terrorist and rapist suspect now because I wanted to see the Joker this morning on my own out of curiousity (but I woke up too late). They must assume I'm an incel because I wanna see it alone, and are making all of these assumptions. I know phones listen to you because I get ads based on real life purchases I've made, or stuff I listen to (African drums on sale because I listen to African music), or stuff that I never google and just say out loud. Could they use that to track me? I know Trump said he was gonna do that for mentally ill people in America to track future mass shooters. Maybe it's happening here too.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 7th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Sounds like it was probably your everyday robocall (random number, potential scammer that you simply ignore and move on) that everybody gets; I think you're letting paranoia get the better of you with all of those leaps you're making.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 7th, 2019, 3:08 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 2:23 pm
I dunno wtf is going on.
You're letting your bad thought proceses get to you. It wasn't even the right area code, it was a robocall and a coincidence. All the other stuff is your brain messing with you.

:hug:

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 7th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Yea I'm calm now. Ever since I started taking the prescription type of CBD oil which has double the amount of THC, I started getting a crisis like this like 2-3 times a week. It doesn't help that I take it twice a day too. It's not enough to make me high but enough for me to get thoughts like this which I didn't have ever since I started doing edibles like twice a week.

I know CBD makes me feel better but I guess this dose is too high. Maybe start taking the dose I was taking with the store bought one? I'll make it twice a day still, but that means I'll be taking a quarter dose twice a day.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 7th, 2019, 3:44 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 3:13 pm
Yea I'm calm now. Ever since I started taking the prescription type of CBD oil which has double the amount of THC, I started getting a crisis like this like 2-3 times a week. It doesn't help that I take it twice a day too. It's not enough to make me high but enough for me to get thoughts like this which I didn't have ever since I started doing edibles like twice a week.

I know CBD makes me feel better but I guess this dose is too high. Maybe start taking the dose I was taking with the store bought one? I'll make it twice a day still, but that means I'll be taking a quarter dose twice a day.
Yes it would be a random scammer. Take care, keep taking the right dosage. Always ask for wisdom on here, people can give you the right answer I believe.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 8th, 2019, 3:54 pm

So apparently my dad contacted a monastery and said "my son would like to enroll. Here's his contact info." According to his email they'll call me soon. Should I tell them I worship Satan?

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 8th, 2019, 3:59 pm

No, they say that’s ok we can turn you to God, it’s atheism which is harder to crack

sebby

Post by sebby » October 10th, 2019, 9:10 am

Anyone ever have relatives come out of the woodwork wanting to connect/reconnect? My aunt and cousin have never been a part of my life but now they be like, Heeeey remember us from 20-odd years ago there was that one time we met and how are you and let's go on vacation together. Not sure why but this makes me oddly uncomfortable. I guess it's just the idea of anyone seeking me out. I've always just wanted to be left alone to pick and choose the who and when of my relationships. A line in my aunt's message was something like "I have decided it's time for us to reconnect" and that bit of it, someone else making a decision for me, is kind of what scares me off. Maybe she's dying, maybe she had an epiphany about the "value" of family, maybe something else, but you can't do that shit. Other people do not exist for you.

They are at least interesting -- googling reveals that aunt does art stuff and cousin is an actress/screenwriter -- so I'm considering not ignoring the fuck out of them until they leave me alone (my og plan) but whether I politely decline their 23andme-style advances or try to be a "good" family member/human/whatever, I really don't know what the fuck to say to the aggressive opening salvo.

I understand that others are close to their families and are always communicating and all that but I don't get it. It's an alien concept to me, but my feelings surely come from an upbringing of familial dysfunction.

yllow

Post by yllow » October 10th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Reconnecting or wanting to is fine, but immediately asking to go on vacation with them? I agree that is odd.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » October 10th, 2019, 1:21 pm

I think you should take it as an offer to reconnect, even if this isn't what is actually said : it is implicit, and obvious, that you are free to accept this offered hand or to turn it down. Maybe they are a little pushy in their initiative, but maybe that's how they are, or maybe they just feel guilty because they've wanted to do that for some time, and haven't got around to actually do it, who knows ?

On the other hand, I also feel going on vacation together is quite a lot of shared presence with someone you practically do not know... I would recommend going for a dinner, sunday afternoon or another opportunity to reconnect, but shorter than actual vacation time. It is less committing, the exit door is close at hand, and you can always decide to spend more time with them afterwards.

yllow

Post by yllow » October 10th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Good idea. I am sure you can find some excuse to say no to the vacation but also invite them for coffee or something at the same time.

sebby

Post by sebby » October 11th, 2019, 12:12 am

They live in another country which is probably why they were all VACATION TIME. But, come on, surely something like skype is the best way to reconnect with people across the globe, no?

yllow

Post by yllow » October 11th, 2019, 1:50 am

That’s a bit different then, but at least you can you the expense excuse if they are that far away. And yes offer to talk them through setting up Skype.

Ally Theater

Post by Ally Theater » October 12th, 2019, 1:17 am

I tend to find that the people who are in my past are in my past for a reason. Or maybe it's me who is in their past? :(

A couple of months ago my ex wife bumped into an old friend of mine and he asked her if he could get my number. She told him that she'd check with me and send it to him if I was OK with it. I told her it was OK but then he never contacted me, so I was all like fuck him. Then this week at work I went to the network meeting we have each month with a couple of organisations and he shows up to it. He'd just started working for one of the organisations in our network. We both put on good fronts but I felt pretty awkward and I sensed he did too.

yllow

Post by yllow » October 15th, 2019, 9:36 am

Couldn’t he have given you his number instead?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 16th, 2019, 2:26 am

I’m obsessed with vegemite and cheese toast at the moment. I hadn’t eaten it in like 10 years until about 6 weeks ago when I suddenly felt like some and I’ve had 2 slices for breakfast almost every day since. I can’t enough of it. I had gotten out of the habit of eating breakfast so that’s a bit annoying but I’m just waiting til the phase passes. About to eat that yummy gooey goodness now, ugh so good. Don’t know why it’s so addictive though.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 16th, 2019, 5:59 am

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite cheese toast

And he said...

sebby

Post by sebby » October 16th, 2019, 6:19 am

I ended up emailing my emerged-from-the-woodwork aunt who was desperate to reconnect and she's not responded in 5 days. People are weird :shrug:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 17th, 2019, 5:15 am

It sucks being an online student sometimes. I'm doing an assignment for one of my units. The last question is completely unlike any we've been given. There are no similar examples, and I've gone through the entire book and every example question they provided. We're asked to deal with stuff that hasn't even been talked about. I've managed to piece most of it together, but it's still not balancing. The lecturers don't bother getting back to any emails, and I can't fecking work this crap out and I'm going insane. I've been working on this one question for the last 6 hours today and this is the third day I've spent on it, I'm giving up for now.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » October 17th, 2019, 6:08 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 5:59 am
Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite cheese toast

And he said...
I never know if it is known to people who they are singing about in this song.

Jean Claude Van Damme is more known outside of Belgium than in his home country.

Edit: now I'm really starting to doubt, are they talking about jcvd?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 19th, 2019, 1:43 am

So... perhaps a difficult question but I hope at least a couple people have experience or ideas here. We're planning my mother's funeral, and we have pretty much everything down except the music. It's my brother and I deciding - we won't have any live music (no musicians in the family that we are close enough to, don't know mom's friends really) but we can of course access pretty much anything else. Mom wasn't at all musical - I won't say she disliked music, but she just wasn't passionate about it, and really didn't know anything about it. She did like show tunes to some extent - mostly songs from the big 3-hour-type American musicals of the 50s-60s like Oklahoma, The Music Man, West Side Story etc. One song I thought of as a strong possibility is "If Ever I Should Leave You" from Camelot which obviously can be about death as well as love. She DID like some church hymns - but she wasn't at all religious, so hymns that don't refer much to God or Jesus might be OK. But my brother - who is a Unitarian who goes to church every week - just can't fathom wanting anything BUT church music, and we're kind of at loggerheads. He also believes everything should be "uplifting" and positive, which...well, that wasn't mom, not at all. Not that she didn't WANT to be happy or content or positive, but she wasn't, and she wasn't somebody who would respond well to "hey just turn that frown upside down". I think it's OK - in fact mandatory - to acknowledge that side of her, both in words and perhaps in music.

I don't want to alienate my brother - who would prefer to choose every song or at least veto everything he doesn't like (and he doesn't want anything pop, or from musicals) - but I also want to do something that I think would work and that I can be happy with, and that mom might have appreciated. I kind of don't care so much about the other attendees, who are mostly fairly conservative and religious and probably think a service must talk about Jesus and God at every opportunity. Sorry folks, you should know that ain't gonna happen with mom. It'd be nice to make everybody happy (and truth be told the family mostly aren't likely to say anything if they do think it's weird or un-Christian) but I'm not sure how.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 19th, 2019, 3:41 am

I think I'm like your mom - I'm really not passionate about music, so I'll struggle with specific suggestions, but what was your mom passionate about? Alternatively, are there any fun/funny stories you're planning to share at the funeral? Either of those could be sources of ideas for music. Not that it has to be her favorite song or anything, but it should connect to your mom in some sort of way.

For my money, there's nothing more cathartic than a laugh at a funeral - at my grandfather's funeral, it was sad (obviously) and at the burial site they had a navy veteran come and play taps. He finished, the preacher was doing the god/jesus thing, and we were preparing to lower him down... and the taps-player's cell phone rang at exactly the wrong time. I fucking LOST it - I was laugh-crying so hard I had to walk away. Not that I'm suggesting doing that, but a happy fun/funny song might be really cathartic for you and others. Think the funeral scene in Love Actually.

Also, since I haven't said it yet, I'm really sorry to hear about your mother - but I'm really glad to a) have you back on the forum, and b) see that you're doing OK. :cheers:

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 19th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Thanks. I think we've solved this issue for the most part. Thankfully in 24 hours it will all be over, and the next phase of life begins.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 19th, 2019, 8:44 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 8:34 pm
Thanks. I think we've solved this issue for the most part. Thankfully in 24 hours it will all be over, and the next phase of life begins.
That's good. Best of luck getting through the next few days! :cheers:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 21st, 2019, 6:06 am

Claremont serial killer case update: https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.n ... e/11622382

No surprise his daughter/annoying housemate kept my rapist working on her show to this day... will be interesting to see how this case goes though.

Ally Theater

Post by Ally Theater » October 21st, 2019, 10:31 am

yllow wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 9:36 am
Couldn’t he have given you his number instead?
True. They must've over thought it.

Ally Theater

Post by Ally Theater » October 21st, 2019, 10:46 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 2:23 pm
I dunno wtf is going on. I got a random phone call that left no message (I never answer phone calls). I google the number and I get a sexual assault support services page in a university that is here. However, the number was not on that page and it was a different area code, but why did that come up on google? I'm thinking that I'm a terrorist and rapist suspect now because I wanted to see the Joker this morning on my own out of curiousity (but I woke up too late). They must assume I'm an incel because I wanna see it alone, and are making all of these assumptions. I know phones listen to you because I get ads based on real life purchases I've made, or stuff I listen to (African drums on sale because I listen to African music), or stuff that I never google and just say out loud. Could they use that to track me? I know Trump said he was gonna do that for mentally ill people in America to track future mass shooters. Maybe it's happening here too.
The word Incel gets thrown around a little too easily. I like to think of myself as a Vocel. This is because I'd rate myself as a 5/10 who wants to have sex with women who are 7/10 but can only ever manage to get women who are 5/10 like me, so I voluntarily abstain.

I revelled in seeing Joker on my own. It seemed apt.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm

The only time I'd ever met someone with my boyfriend's name prior to meeting him was when I was 5 and I only remember that because of the class photo. When I was at uni last year, there were 4 guys with the name in my classes (though all with different spellings). And last night, we had a new guy at work with the same name. All these guys were around the same age. I looked up baby names for Australia in the year he was born and sure enough, it's in the top 5. I remember my first year of highschool, there were 4-5 people with my name despite having never met another before as well. Names are weird.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 12th, 2019, 11:17 pm

I've been doing some introspection, and notice that since my mental health problems started with ocd, they just degrade more and more over time. Delusions and slight hallucinations are commonplace for me. Meds help but I still feel like I'm a mess. I had an interview at a workplace yesterday, and cops were there talking to employees. I assumed the cops were there for me. Around last week I applied for another place, but chose not to go there afterwards because of reading the endless horror stories. Today there was a voicemail on my phone regarding that company I applied for. No, the company didn't call, but according to the message a charity called that company, and they referred the charity to another number, and for some reason it was my number. Are they giving away my number for revenge for not going to them?

I do know I have great self-awareness, and I'm sure that I would be forever in the psych ward or in a group home if that wasn't the case (I was even told this by professionals at one point), but if there's anything that I see as evidence, even if I misinterpret it, it all comes crashing down and my paranoia and delusions win.

I'm scared that I'm going to the reach the point where my estranged father is. He sends me emails at my old email that I only use now for work applications. He recently said that google is personally going at war with him because he's changing the world with his ideas of science and religion. He also believes that the Jewish people are also Satanists and are personally against him. What if that becomes me eventually?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 17th, 2019, 9:20 pm

My boyfriend and I have been taking walks on the dog beach lately to see all the cute dogs. I’ve always hated wearing thongs because they’re painful and uncomfortable but wearing sneakers to the beach was getting dumb so I bought my first ever pair, hoping that maybe they’d be better as an adult. It’s a 10 minute walk to the beach, and I wore them for less than 5 minutes total there and back because they hurt so bad. The skin between my toes got torn off and has been stinging all day. How the hell do people find these things comfortable and why does no one else have their toes ripped apart after a few minutes? Guess I’m gonna have to go for sandals instead...

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 17th, 2019, 9:31 pm

mightysparks wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:20 pm
My boyfriend and I have been taking walks on the dog beach lately to see all the cute dogs. I’ve always hated wearing thongs because they’re painful and uncomfortable but wearing sneakers to the beach was getting dumb so I bought my first ever pair, hoping that maybe they’d be better as an adult. It’s a 10 minute walk to the beach, and I wore them for less than 5 minutes total there and back because they hurt so bad. The skin between my toes got torn off and has been stinging all day. How the hell do people find these things comfortable and why does no one else have their toes ripped apart after a few minutes? Guess I’m gonna have to go for sandals instead...
If you haven't already try Teva or Reef brand of flip flops. They have softer cloth toe-things (sorry, no energy to search for the right word ). Anything else kills my feet. You could also try moleskin, adhesive stickies between your toes. It would help pad the friction.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » November 25th, 2019, 2:11 am

Ugh, I want a new laptop and Black Friday/Thanksgiving week is usually one of the best times in America to get a good deal on laptops. I just don't know what to get. All the cheap laptops are made by brands that tend to suck :\ If I don't buy a new laptop within the next couple of weeks, then I will probably wait one entire year to get a new one.

The current laptop I'm using is a Lenovo Ideapad I purchased three(?) years ago around this time of year, but right now there are three different ways that cause my computer to shut off when I don't want it to shut down. (1. Sometimes my laptop doesn't recognize my HDMI cord that's plugged in and will shut down my computer...although I blame a Windows update from a few months ago as likely the thing that caused this problem -_- 2. If the power cord gets unplugged from my laptop, then it will shut down even though there is still battery life -_- That is also a problem I didn't always have. 3. If I elevate a part of my laptop too much, then it will shut down -_- ) My laptop has been unexpectedly shutting down a lot the past few months, even several times a day occasionally.

I don't need a high processing gaming laptop, but I don't want to purchase a laptop that takes over 30 minutes to load simple tasks or have other issues. I've been looking at some ads and idk if a Chromebook is good. I don't like using Chrome because it tends to be way slower and crash more often than Firefox no matter which computer I've used in the past, so a thing called the "Chrome"book doesn't excite me at all but I've seen a version of it under $100. I don't plan on buying anything that's more than $400, preferably something not more than $250 but all the brands under that price suck! I miss when I was a loyal Toshiba consumer in the early 2010s when they used to make good laptops and I never found a good substitute once they fell off the radar for making good laptops in the US at a reasonable price.

Ugh, I want a new laptop but I don't want to buy something that destroys my budget or becomes slow and useless after a few months.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 25th, 2019, 5:01 am

Cocoa wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 2:11 am
Ugh, I want a new laptop but I don't want to buy something that destroys my budget or becomes slow and useless after a few months.
My best rec is to try this link: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100006740 ... rder=PRICE

I put two filters on there - a SSD (of any size) and 8+ GB of RAM. Assuming you're not doing anything computationally intensive, those specs should do it. The SSD will speed up start-up times as well as a lot of tasks reading/writing to the hard drive. RAM will store more things in memory and is WAY faster than having to store stuff to an actual disk. There's a lot more you can do to get a better machine, but if you want something that'll boot and function faster than a meandering Wiseman documentary, I wouldn't back off on those specs.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 25th, 2019, 1:44 pm

I fecking hate family social obligations. I avoided them as much as possible when I was younger and only did the ones I liked, but now it's harder for me to get out of them and I don't like any of them. More and more people keep popping up wanting to spend time with me for some reason. And because I'm an adult or something apparently no-one cares that physical contact makes me uncomfortable and they all hug me.

Also, my grandparents have not met my boyfriend and every time I see them I'm hassled about when they're going to meet him. He doesn't like this kind of stuff either, which is why I haven't met his family (he has almost told them about me a few times, but 1) they gossip and 2) he doesn't want me to be forced to attend stuff with him). My parents have met him a couple of times, my dad is like me and couldn't care less about catch-ups. My mum likes to see him occasionally and invited herself over for his birthday last month - he was depressed and anxious for a day leading up to it even though he likes my mum. And it sucks that he's always such a big topic of conversation and I really don't blame him for not wanting to tell his family about me. It's either him or OMG YOU'RE A STICK YOU NEED TO STOP LOSING WEIGHT.

I hate it and I never have anything to talk about because I have nothing in common with anyone in my family. I don't really have anything against most of them personally but I don't want to have forced interaction with them just because they're family and I'm supposed to. We both want to move overseas and I hope we do and this isn't a problem anymore. Urhghhh

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 25th, 2019, 1:46 pm

@ mightysparks:

I (and most Americans) have this exact kind of thing coming up in a few days; it's called Thanksgiving. Love the food, and hate just about everything else about it.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd