Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The Off-Topic Lounge

joachimt
Donator

Re: The Off-Topic Lounge

Post by joachimt » July 29th, 2019, 7:59 pm

I was kinda lucky today. I was trimming a hedge of my garden with an electrical hedge trimmer. Suddenly I was surrounded by dozens of wasps. Apparently there was a nest in the hedge and I went right past it with the trimmer. Why lucky? I wasn't even stung! :sweat:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » July 29th, 2019, 8:01 pm

I got accepted for disability. It's permanent as well. They say that if I get a job that pays too much I won't receive any income from them, but I will still have medical benefits and any accommodation letters needed for work.

On one hand I'm super happy about this. On the other hand it feels kind of like a kick to the gut knowing that I'm so sick that I'm literally disabled. I hope I'll get better eventually.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 29th, 2019, 8:17 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 8:01 pm
I got accepted for disability. It's permanent as well. They say that if I get a job that pays too much I won't receive any income from them, but I will still have medical benefits and any accommodation letters needed for work.

On one hand I'm super happy about this. On the other hand it feels kind of like a kick to the gut knowing that I'm so sick that I'm literally disabled. I hope I'll get better eventually.
Well in your case you know the problem isn't that you're not able to work, but that your brain isn't reliable enough to let you hold a job. This lets you focus on you and try to find a job that works for you without the fear lingering overhead. Focus on the good part and don't let the culture of grinding yourself to death in precarious finances make you feel bad about taking care of yourself.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 30th, 2019, 2:04 am

The last few days the weather has been good and my boyfriend has had the morning off so we’ve been doing some geocaching and Pokémon Go together. It’s been pretty fun and gotten us out to places we never would’ve gone. I’m out this morning doing some Pokémon Go by myself and it’s pretty nice and quiet around here in the mornings. I normally don’t go out by myself because of my anxiety but I feel alright and it’s much nicer than getting my 10k steps pacing back and forth in the apartment.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 31st, 2019, 4:10 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 7:11 pm
I locked myself out of my house last night. Today I got in using a credit card. I'm both relieved and perturbed. Self locking doors are the worst, you can lock yourself out without a key and they're really easy to bypass if you know what to do. Deadbolts only for me from now on.
Sucks. I managed to lock myself out of the two previous places we live. The first place was our apartment in New York where, fortunately, I could walk to my wife's workplace and get her keys. Second time was here in NM during summer where a window was ajar (to let the evaporative cooler do its work) and I pried it out and crawled in that way.

I came across a Youtube channel that is all about lock-picking. It's kinda shocking how weak locks in general are, these people pick them in a handful of seconds.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 31st, 2019, 4:21 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 8:01 pm

If someone puts money on the table for you, you take it. We've been lamenting the poor state of things whenever you needed help. I don't know if it'll make things easier for you on that front but I sure hope it does (I imagine it should, since you're now recognized as having a problem serious enough to entitle you to disability). And it's good to know that if things go south you have a safety net. That's the entire purpose of the system! Use it and make the most of your opportunities on the job market.
ImageImageImageImage

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 1st, 2019, 5:42 am

I'm doing an mini accounting course this semester. One of the units is learning to do use Xero, and we're supposed to follow along with the book and there's two assessments, one is some short answer questions and the other is a Xero-based test. I finished 11/13 chapters and the first assessment last Friday, and the semester only started this Monday lol. Though I just went to finish it off, and there is one transaction giving me different values than the book so I'm stuck until I can figure out why they're not matching up. Everything has matched up so far so idk why this chapter is all of a sudden throwing this at me. Wanted to have this unit done by the end of the week :(

Also, unrelated, Apathy's post finally inspired me to make my boyfriend and I as Sims (and bonus corgi puppy since we're obsessed with corgis). It was weird not making my Simself fat:
SpoilerShow
Dunno if I'm actually gonna play us though.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 2nd, 2019, 12:35 am

SWAT raid due to an unpaid gas bill?

W...T...F?!

https://www.kmov.com/news/st-louis-coun ... 3fcd6.html
ImageImageImageImage

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 6th, 2019, 5:41 am

Went out Pokémon Go-Ing with my boyfriend this morning, got yummy lunch and then we were eating some fro-yo outside. Had been a pretty nice morning. And then a bird pooped on my head :'( :'( :'(

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 6th, 2019, 5:54 am

That's a shitty way to end an otherwise nice day...

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » August 9th, 2019, 10:26 pm

peeptoad wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 1:31 pm
Lakigigar wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 1:10 pm
I'm now in psychiatric ward. Suspected of having an eating disorder. I have a severe personality disorder, autism spectrum disorder and engage in lifethreatening self harm. That's my synopsis.
:( :hug:
hope i will get better yes, thanks and also thanks xxxapathy420xxx. I'm one month clean from self-harm and my anxiety has improved, but my bulimia is getting worse again.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 9th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 10:26 pm
peeptoad wrote:
Lakigigar wrote:
I'm now in psychiatric ward. Suspected of having an eating disorder. I have a severe personality disorder, autism spectrum disorder and engage in lifethreatening self harm. That's my synopsis.
hope i will get better yes, thanks and also thanks xxxapathy420xxx. I'm one month clean from self-harm and my anxiety has improved, but my bulimia is getting worse again.
Please do keep working at it and take care of yourself. We always worry about forum members when they are struggling. :hug:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 12th, 2019, 2:43 am

A friend of mine (the only friend except my boyfriend) was in a hit and run a couple of nights ago. He was drinking at his friend's house and went for a walk at 2.30am to get some cigarettes and a car hit him. He passed out and was there for a few hours before someone found him. He's in hospital with a broken leg now, but doing ok. He'll probably be in there for a month. My boyfriend went to see him yesterday and gave him his old phone and a bunch of snacks and stuff. Everything in his bag, including his phone, got destroyed in the accident. Poor guy.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 12th, 2019, 4:47 am

Damn - that's shit! Fuck the driver of that car.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » August 12th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 10:26 pm
peeptoad wrote:
Lakigigar wrote:
Our thoughts and prayers go with you. Keep working at it, and things will get better eventually. You may feel like you're in a dead end,at times, but you're not. I hope you're okay and will keep improving your condition. :hug:

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 15th, 2019, 12:51 am

Seriously considering taking up witchcraft. My partner made something for good fortune and to help me find a 16 hour a week low-key job. It consisted of mixing herbs, placing it in a jar, and turning it into a necklace. I was so fascinated by the whole thing. I was recommended a book by someone else as a primer on witchcraft. Will read and then perhaps start doing some stuff with herbs as a starter.

It seems to be the most logical one as herbs, the stars, rocks, and the moon actually exist. I can also remain an atheist when doing this as well.

fori

Post by fori » August 15th, 2019, 2:05 am

most logical
witchcraft

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 15th, 2019, 2:14 am

In terms of spirituality and religion it's by far the most logical one yes, because the stuff it involves actually exists in the real world unlike a "being" living in the sky. With witchcraft you don't need to believe in a god, or even spirits, although some subsets do.

Kind of off topic but happened to you? You used to be a such a cool member with great taste, but then you asked why we weren't responding to your posts and it went downhill from there... even insulting RBG because most of her checks are official when she said she didn't care about official lists.

fori

Post by fori » August 15th, 2019, 3:01 am

Nothing happened, though perhaps I’m more irritable.
I wouldn’t call it an insult..? Wasn’t the exact quote “ironic that 75% of your checks are official then”

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 15th, 2019, 3:09 am

My post may have been too much, but it did bother me when you mentioned that. I think you would have a point if it was the more mainstream official checks, but there are also plenty of obscure films that became official thanks to the more niche lists like the country lists. I'm sure that was the case with rbg.

fori

Post by fori » August 15th, 2019, 3:33 am

But the context was about people obsessing over the lists themselves, and not necessarily the “big” ones. The point of my post was not to disparage but to illustrate that the lists are very relevant.
Actually I looked back at the discussion, and I remembered it wrong. It was in the context of “The Beach Bum” not being in an official list yet. I got in to a brief back and forth with rbg about this and don’t think anything said was off base.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 15th, 2019, 4:14 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 2:14 am
In terms of spirituality and religion it's by far the most logical one yes, because the stuff it involves actually exists in the real world unlike a "being" living in the sky. With witchcraft you don't need to believe in a god, or even spirits, although some subsets do.

Kind of off topic but happened to you? You used to be a such a cool member with great taste, but then you asked why we weren't responding to your posts and it went downhill from there... even insulting RBG because most of her checks are official when she said she didn't care about official lists.

God does not live in the sky but is a spirit like we are all spiritual beings, but the most highly developed. But we have a physical body but can also be aware of the spiritual world . There is a physical world and a spiritual, some are more aware of this than others. Even witchcraft is a recognition of this .
Last edited by Cippenham on August 15th, 2019, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » August 15th, 2019, 4:34 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 12:51 am
Seriously considering taking up witchcraft. My partner made something for good fortune and to help me find a 16 hour a week low-key job. It consisted of mixing herbs, placing it in a jar, and turning it into a necklace. I was so fascinated by the whole thing. I was recommended a book by someone else as a primer on witchcraft. Will read and then perhaps start doing some stuff with herbs as a starter.

It seems to be the most logical one as herbs, the stars, rocks, and the moon actually exist. I can also remain an atheist when doing this as well.
Hear, Hear!

If not already clear from my posts, I'm a follower of the craft and its really changed and improved my life tremendously.

I can actually thank film for being the catalyst (+some horrific traumatizing church experiences that put me off Christianity for good)! Films like The Wicker Man, Bell Book and Candle; The Love Witch; or especially Penda's Fen just made me so in love with the belief and way of life ... that I just had to learn more. We're still exploring and figuring out how all we best want to approach the craft, but its really brought new joys into our lives.

We've even had a magickal experience already:

We went hiking at a nearby rock pool area that was sacred to the local Chumash. Its like a 5 mile hike. We made it to the ponds and were the only people there, but (despite having been many times) - the atmosphere was incredibly hostile; we felt like intruders; and that we needed to leave ASAP. But then something hit us and the whole place opened up, animals started showing up and it was amazingly peaceful and calm. Then about 30 mins later, some couple showed up and it became hostile again + we felt scared once more. The weirdest part: the duo who showed up felt this exact same thing! And despite having hiked 5 miles to get there, they ran out of there. To which peace returned. It was bizarre and really convinced me of this power around us.

So for those of you out there with a love and respect for nature; or wanting to will things into existence; or who want a lot of calm in their lives - I highly recommend you explore Pagan beliefs and/or witchcraft.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 15th, 2019, 11:14 am

my best friend is a witch. she once put a curse on me because i was being very sarcastic with her. other times she tried to do spells to help me fall out of love with a terrible horrible no-good lady from my past. none of it worked :shrug:

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 15th, 2019, 4:31 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
What is the name of the book?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 15th, 2019, 4:37 pm

peeptoad wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 4:31 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
The idiot's guide to wicca and witchcraft. It might be a good primer that might make me wanna dig deeper.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » August 15th, 2019, 5:13 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 4:37 pm
[media][/media]
peeptoad wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
The idiot's guide to wicca and witchcraft. It might be a good primer that might make me wanna dig deeper.
Despite the title, I stand by that book! It gives a great overview on most everything in the craft + is super easy to read and well organized. It isn't anything fancy and its more of a reference guide which covers the basics (I don't think it even covers sex magick!), but it really covers all the basics that you'll want to know + a super easy and quick read. Its a great entry point. Its just an embarrassing title.

If anyone wants any other book recs, I highly recommend Scott Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner - which is the entry point for most witches. And anything by Cunningham is a must! His books on magickal plants is the best purchase I made.

And if someone wants a super low stress entry to card magick (before you jump into tarot or runes), I recommend Maia Toll's Illustrated Herbiary.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 15th, 2019, 6:49 pm

If you get into tarot you can go on YouTube and make political and other predictions and make money that way 🤔

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 15th, 2019, 7:28 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 4:37 pm
peeptoad wrote:
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Thanks Apathy, and also thanks Minkin, for your input.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 19th, 2019, 2:40 pm

went out with my boyfriend tonight and as we were approaching a roundabout a cyclist hit the car. I was the passenger and he hit my side and it was pretty scary. He was fine and my car just got a few scratches, closest I’ve been to an accident.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 19th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Cyclists to motorists are a menace as you have to be careful to spot them. I am glad you are ok anyway mighty.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 19th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Cippenham wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 5:35 pm
Cyclists to motorists are a menace as you have to be careful to spot them. I am glad you are ok anyway mighty.
You got that backwards. Surely "Motorists to cyclists are a menace" as well as to anybody else too.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » August 19th, 2019, 6:42 pm

If you are driving, cyclists are a menace and it no doubt applies the other way. I never rode a bike in my life so I see only the motorist view. The government here are trying to say we are going electric but we don’t have enough power stations being built due to political correctness and it takes half an hour or more to charge a car. We don’t have enough range or charging stations for all these electric cars, it’s an absolute joke. We probably are going back to the dark ages literally..

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 19th, 2019, 9:09 pm

cyclists, pedestrians and drivers are all menaces to each other. I haven’t ridden a bike in about 15 years, so I’m mostly a driver but it this the first time I’ve ever run into an issue with a cyclist (I did have a pedestrian walk into my car once as well). This guy was in the wrong and admitted fault right away, he just wasn’t paying enough attention obviously and didn’t stop to look. Coulda happened to anyone, but this is why I always stop and look both ways before crossing the road even though everyone always laughs at me for being so vigilant about it :/

Coryn

Post by Coryn » August 27th, 2019, 8:03 am

This might be the worst month of my short life.

Granddad on my fathers died totally unexpectedly 2 weeks ago. He was 89 but in great shape, a shape I'd like to be in if I was turning 70. In the morning he was standing on his own roof working on it and after noon he suddenly passed away.

Yesterday my granddad from my mothers side was brought to the hospital. He's 94 years old and they say it's not going well with him. It's not going to take long now before he will also pass away.

Really rough time and will miss them a lot.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » August 27th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your grandparents, Coryn. Feel better. :(

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 27th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Cippenham wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 6:42 pm
I never rode a bike in my life so I see only the motorist view.
For some reason, this seems to explain a lot about you.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Coryn

Post by Coryn » August 27th, 2019, 2:11 pm

peeptoad wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 12:57 pm
Thanks

A few hours after writing my granddad has passed away.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 27th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Coryn wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 2:11 pm
peeptoad wrote:
Thanks

Ugh. That sucks - sorry to hear this! Hang in there.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » August 27th, 2019, 4:44 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 4:05 pm
Coryn wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 2:11 pm
peeptoad wrote:
Thanks

Ugh. That sucks - sorry to hear this! Hang in there.
Thanks Max