Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The Off-Topic Lounge

Knaldskalle

Re: The Off-Topic Lounge

Post by Knaldskalle » May 4th, 2019, 5:39 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 4:41 pm
Help is not looking good so far. I tried to contact around half a dozen psychologists that do sliding scale since there's no way I can afford the full rate (it'll take around 80% of my monthly income on disability, and that's even if I get it). 4 of them said I was too mentally ill for them to treat, one only does a reference by certain doctors, and one said she doesn't do the type of therapy that my psychiatrist recommended.

This is why suicide looks like a valid option through a logical perspective. If I succeed, well all my problems are solved right there. If I fail, then I'll most likely be admitted again and they'll most likely refer me back to either the therapy place that ghosted me (but maybe with another therapist), or through Family Services of Ottawa. Attempting suicide through a logical perspective like this for free therapy does sound fucked up, but doesn't that imply that I need it in the first place anyways?
I find your whole train of thought frightening! You're not actually thinking rationally about this, even though it may appear so to you. In fact, at this point I suspect you're rationalizing everything to "fit" your predetermined conclusion. I'm sorry you're not in a good place anymore, but you have to keep trying to get better and use the treatment options available to you, even if they suck right now (I'm getting more and more mad at the mental health care system in Ottawa, if that's any consolation, but I don't know what to do about it. They keep dropping the ball).
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 4th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Gotta love private psychology practices too. They only need to work like 20 hours a week and already make well over the required amount to be considered high-class. It seems like the average rate is around $200 an hour for them. I understand that the job can be draining, but this profit margin is absolutely absurd. At least dentists make slightly more sense as they have to use fancy equipment and tools.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 4th, 2019, 5:46 pm

I may be fucked for disability too. My social worker told me that Doug Ford is going to completely rehaul the system. They're going to make it similar to the disability benefits required for tax returns. And well, this says enough: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/12/0 ... 57988.html

I've seen it when doing tax returns. They even rejected people who had dementia.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 4th, 2019, 5:48 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 5:36 pm
I don't think admitting like that would work. I tried hanging myself at March, but they didn't admit me because I backed out of it during the act. The crisis line even just said it's just my choice instead of recommending going to emergency because I backed out of it.
If they don't admit you and you refuse to leave and insist they admit you what do they do? On the one hand it seems unbelievable that they won't accept voluntary insistent self-admittance, even if their book says to do everything possible to let people go, on the other hand nothing about the broken mental health system is actually unbelievable so I don't doubt you may be right.

And yeah, I know the mind distorts reasonable thoughts. I don't blame you for your thought process, it's hard to deal with one part of your brain saying one thing and another saying something else and, even when you "know" something, that other part of your brain can be very good at casting doubt. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, just hopeful that the reminder helps push that little voice away just a little bit.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 4th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 5:39 pm
I find your whole train of thought frightening! You're not actually thinking rationally about this
The brain is an amazing reasoning machine. It also gives no fucks about truth. If your brain has its truth and reality perceptions broken, whether from mental illness, abuse or just plain ignorance, it will reason its way to completely ridiculous conclusions. Add in some small glitches along the way in the reasoning process and it can justify almost anything. Honestly, through it all Arthur has pretty good self awareness, he knows his brain is fucking with him, it's just that knowing that doesn't magically stop the brain from doing its own thing and hounding you that "no really I'm right." It takes a lot of effort to ignore that voice, and even more to actively counteract it.
you're rationalizing everything to "fit" your predetermined conclusion
This is kind of correct in that the brain doesn't like to redo everything from scratch, so it collects a bunch of assumptions and reasons things out based on previous conclusions and assumptions. Once the brain has reached a conclusion, even if you reflect on it, it won't really change unless you either correct some wrong assumptions or add new information that invalidates it. Neither of which is nearly as easy as it may seem from the outside. But it's not really rationalizing in the usual sense of the word since the usual sense of the word carries a lot more consciousness and deliberateness to it.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 4th, 2019, 6:44 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 6:14 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 5:39 pm
I find your whole train of thought frightening! You're not actually thinking rationally about this
The brain is an amazing reasoning machine. It also gives no fucks about truth. If your brain has its truth and reality perceptions broken, whether from mental illness, abuse or just plain ignorance, it will reason its way to completely ridiculous conclusions. Add in some small glitches along the way in the reasoning process and it can justify almost anything. Honestly, through it all Arthur has pretty good self awareness, he knows his brain is fucking with him, it's just that knowing that doesn't magically stop the brain from doing its own thing and hounding you that "no really I'm right." It takes a lot of effort to ignore that voice, and even more to actively counteract it.
I keep thinking about that greyhound bus incident that happened a decade ago in Canada. It's amazing and horrifying that your brain can convince you that killing someone and eating their guts would be the right thing to do.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 4th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Yeah that's definitely an extreme I can't really fathom. I feel like there's no level of delusion that could possibly make that seem ok but the experts say otherwise.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 4th, 2019, 6:57 pm

They ended up replying lol. I think all of this is a bad sign though. I'll be sure to mention this to my psychiatrist. Maybe she'll help me find a good therapist.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 6th, 2019, 4:52 am

I feel really productive today. Got up at 5:30am and went for a run with my boyfriend. Went shopping and then did meal prep for half the week (took me 3-4 damn hours):

After all that I didn't feel like eating any of it and Uber Eats'd an eggplant parmigiana which is really good especially considering I hate eggplant. Fasted for nearly 21 hours (I aim for 18), now about to sit down for the rest of the day with GoT and some films. It ain't even 1pm yet.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 8th, 2019, 4:18 am

I applied for a temporary data entry job for the elections about a month ago. It's about one month full time and I could make about $4k which would be nice holiday money. I've gone to an info session, had to apply for a police clearance, referee surveys, notified my boss I'd be unavailable for a month, got accepted and had a training confirmation email sent out.. Then I get a call 10 minutes ago saying they've moved me to the 'scanning' group which has one training session on the day I have a hospital appointment I've been waiting 5 months for and I said I couldn't do it. She basically said that I wasn't able to participate in any role and that was it. I was fuming, then a couple minutes later I get a call from another lady at the company asking for my shift preference and I was like wut. She said the scanning thing was just another project and I'm all booked in for the data entry and no problem. Adrenaline still pumping and I'm now expecting another call saying nah actually bye.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 8th, 2019, 4:23 am

wtf

also your food looks good.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 8th, 2019, 5:27 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 4:18 am
I applied for a temporary data entry job for the elections about a month ago. It's about one month full time and I could make about $4k which would be nice holiday money. I've gone to an info session, had to apply for a police clearance, referee surveys, notified my boss I'd be unavailable for a month, got accepted and had a training confirmation email sent out.. Then I get a call 10 minutes ago saying they've moved me to the 'scanning' group which has one training session on the day I have a hospital appointment I've been waiting 5 months for and I said I couldn't do it. She basically said that I wasn't able to participate in any role and that was it. I was fuming, then a couple minutes later I get a call from another lady at the company asking for my shift preference and I was like wut. She said the scanning thing was just another project and I'm all booked in for the data entry and no problem. Adrenaline still pumping and I'm now expecting another call saying nah actually bye.
Classic case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing.... :rolleyes:
ImageImageImageImage

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » May 9th, 2019, 11:43 pm

It'd be awesome if Harry and Meg named their next kid Jughead. I can just see their diehard supporters trying to put a positive spin on it. "It's not what I expected but I like it' 😅

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 9th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 11:43 pm
It'd be awesome if Harry and Meg named their next kid Jughead. I can just see their diehard supporters trying to put a positive spin on it. "It's not what I expected but I like it' 😅
It's a strange world when stuff like this is considered news-worthy: https://www.npr.org/2018/09/26/65195195 ... edia-users

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 10th, 2019, 6:55 am

So this is a fun story for me.

My grandfather is almost 90 and has Alzheimers. It's been years since he has been able to drive, and at that point I "inherited" his truck (as far as he's concerned, I'm borrowing it, and have been for the last 5-ish years). He can't remember anything for the past several years, but he remembers his truck.

Anyway, he (and family) are visiting right now. And through some luck and careful planning, I was able to snap this picture Tuesday night with him in the truck next to me, pretty excited:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 10th, 2019, 8:34 am

Our car hit the 200,000 mark recently. I was pretty annoyed I missed it, because my wife was out with the car that moment.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 10th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Now I've seen it all...
just saw someone apply for a job by posting their CV and contact info in the comment section of an article (that had nothing to do with any sort of job posting- just a random article on the particular site). Maybe it's me but that just struck me as really weird. No wonder people are hard up for work if that's the course of action.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 10th, 2019, 1:33 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 8:34 am
Our car hit the 200,000 mark recently. I was pretty annoyed I missed it, because my wife was out with the car that moment.
Yeah but that's like killammeterz, right? So like 7 miles or something, big deal. You Europeans and your commie measuring.

My car will hit 100,000 real he-man American miles this month.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 10th, 2019, 1:41 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 1:33 pm
joachimt wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 8:34 am
Yeah but that's like killammeterz, right? So like 7 miles or something, big deal. You Europeans and your commie measuring.

My car will hit 100,000 real he-man American miles this month.
1 kilometer = 0.621371192 miles
200,000 km = 124,274 miles :hmph:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 10th, 2019, 6:21 pm

I assume it's the norm here for us cinephiles in relationships to have the other person not interested in films? My dream was to expand someone's mind with all the classics, foreign films, and my weird favourites. However, I have lost all hope in that. I mean, they didn't even like Alien.

I was sent a message about mediums that frankly pissed me off and I almost said something but decided to hold it in. It said that they hate this post-modern movement where films and books show the unexpected, or shock the audience instead of having a normal and coherent narrative. It was then expanded. If there is a twist, there must be hints beforehand that show of the twist coming up, and it must be realistic and with a realistic reaction. Everything must be explained in the end too, and leaving something out in the open leaves the audience empty.

I can't stand that shit. Nuri Bilge Ceylan said it best:
The problem with Hollywood is the audience expects to get the answers like a pill. They expect to know not just whodunnit, but the motives of the characters, the how and why. Real life is not like that. Even our closest friend – we don't know what he really thinks. In films we want more than in real life, everything being made clear. That means this kind of cinema is a lie. I cannot make cinema that way.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 10th, 2019, 6:28 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:21 pm
I was sent a message about mediums that frankly pissed me off and I almost said something but decided to hold it in. It said that they hate this post-modern movement where films and books show the unexpected, or shock the audience instead of having a normal and coherent narrative. It was then expanded. If there is a twist, there must be hints beforehand that show of the twist coming up, and it must be realistic and with a realistic reaction. Everything must be explained in the end too, and leaving something out in the open leaves the audience empty.
I read the whole thing thinking "message about mediums" meant message about people who do seances and talk to spirits and could not make sense of what that had to do with movie twists or shocking the audience.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 10th, 2019, 6:29 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:28 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
I read the whole thing thinking "message about mediums" meant message about people who do seances and talk to spirits and could not make sense of what that had to do with movie twists or shocking the audience.
:lol: yes that may not have been the right word. I meant to say storytelling mediums.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 10th, 2019, 6:36 pm

To be fair, I think it would be cool to see a film like the ones Ceylan describes that breaks the fourth wall with characters explaining their motivations at the end. Bonus points if the explanations are dismissive and mundane like "I dunno, I cheated because I was horny" or unnecessarily detailed like "I chose pepperoni as my pizza topping because it reminded me that one time when I was 9 and had pizza for the first time..."

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 10th, 2019, 6:40 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:36 pm
To be fair, I think it would be cool to see a film like the ones Ceylan describes that breaks the fourth wall with characters explaining their motivations at the end. Bonus points if the explanations are dismissive and mundane like "I dunno, I cheated because I was horny" or unnecessarily detailed like "I chose pepperoni as my pizza topping because it reminded me that one time when I was 9 and had pizza for the first time..."
There actually was a video game like that. I've seen giant bomb play it and it was very entertaining: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tender_Lo ... ideo_game)

Last edited by XxXApathy420XxX on May 10th, 2019, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » May 10th, 2019, 6:41 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
I assume it's the norm here for us cinephiles in relationships to have the other person not interested in films? My dream was to expand someone's mind with all the classics, foreign films, and my weird favourites. However, I have lost all hope in that. I mean, they didn't even like Alien.

The problem with Hollywood is the audience expects to get the answers like a pill. They expect to know not just whodunnit, but the motives of the characters, the how and why. Real life is not like that. Even our closest friend – we don't know what he really thinks. In films we want more than in real life, everything being made clear. That means this kind of cinema is a lie. I cannot make cinema that way.
Lots I would like to say about this, but I can't because I am at work.

Summary:
1 - I agree 100%. Good topic to bring up.
2 - It seems like in the past 5 years-ish this has really increased. I know nice, smart, people who are trying to find out the riddle in mainstream movies/shows that have no riddle and, at the same time, are baffled by films that have an obvious point and linear story line.
3 - The terrifying part is looking at the video's on youtube about "XXX ending explained!" as if a 4 year out could not figure out the ending. It really freaks me out.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 10th, 2019, 6:51 pm

zuma wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:41 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

Lots I would like to say about this, but I can't because I am at work.

Summary:
1 - I agree 100%. Good topic to bring up.
2 - It seems like in the past 5 years-ish this has really increased. I know nice, smart, people who are trying to find out the riddle in mainstream movies/shows that have no riddle and, at the same time, are baffled by films that have an obvious point and linear story line.
3 - The terrifying part is looking at the video's on youtube about "XXX ending explained!" as if a 4 year out could not figure out the ending. It really freaks me out.
You got me curious so I looked it up. This actually looks like a clickhole video. Literally a kid's film explained:

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 10th, 2019, 8:02 pm

The best part is that that video doesn't actually explain anything. It's half telling you the most obvious character arcs and half meta speculation that has nothing to do with the film, and absolutely nothing about the narrative or the interdimensional travel or the inter character relationships (except spiderman loves his dad). And it's all told in a jumbled hyperactive way so even if someone is dumb enough to need any of that explained I doubt they'll be enlightened by this video.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 10th, 2019, 8:15 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Yeah, my wife is not really into film. But, we still watch plenty of things together - usually I suggest things I want to watch that also fit her interests. Sometimes I pull her into some classics with a decent sales pitch - for example, "Citizen Kane was voted as the #1 American film by the AFI" worked to get her to watch that (she liked it, btw). On a few occasions, I've pulled the "I just watched [film] last night and LOVED it so much I want to rewatch it with you tonight." But we also balance some of that stuff out because I'll watch the movies she wants to watch. Give and take. :shrug:

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 10th, 2019, 10:07 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
Mmmyeahno? My wife likes certain films and filmmakers (like Bergman), but is not into the more mainstream stuff at all. She initially said she didn't like movies, but after a while it became clear that she just doesn't like mainstream stuff and the more cerebral stuff is right up her alley. Unfortunately she's working practically nonstop, so she works while I watch.

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

You dontunderstandistan, I was looking at mah phone when this thing happened in the movie that I completely missed because Instagram was pushing a notification that I just had to check, so when the plot was cleared up I had no clue what had happened. Still an awesome movie and I'll rate it on mah phone just as soon as I can find a video that explains the ending to me.
ImageImageImageImage

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 10th, 2019, 11:24 pm

My boyfriend isn’t really into film that much but when I can I get him to watch some stuff with me. He works long hours so it hasn’t happened in a while so we’ve tried to watch some TV together; we watched Planet Earth 1&2 and have just the last ep of Cowboy Bebop to go and we both liked them all. He doesn’t really know what his tastes are but since he wants to be a cinematographer and does camerawork and editing, I try to show him stuff that may be interesting for those interests. He’s pretty open to anything though as long as he’s not exhausted from work.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 11th, 2019, 2:37 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 11:24 pm
My boyfriend isn’t really into film that much but when I can I get him to watch some stuff with me. He works long hours so it hasn’t happened in a while so we’ve tried to watch some TV together; we watched Planet Earth 1&2 and have just the last ep of Cowboy Bebop to go and we both liked them all. He doesn’t really know what his tastes are but since he wants to be a cinematographer and does camerawork and editing, I try to show him stuff that may be interesting for those interests. He’s pretty open to anything though as long as he’s not exhausted from work.
Cowboy Bebop is good. There's a "Cowboy Bebop The Movie" that follows the show, if you're interested in more.
ImageImageImageImage

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 11th, 2019, 5:01 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 2:37 am
mightysparks wrote:
Cowboy Bebop is good. There's a "Cowboy Bebop The Movie" that follows the show, if you're interested in more.
Yep, I'm especially anxious since it's the last film I need to get platinum on the IMDb animation list :whistling:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 11th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Moderators, what is all this movie talk doing in Off-Topic? :angry:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 11th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 2:37 am
mightysparks wrote:
That makes me remember I need to watch that movie. Last month I rewatched the series and after that I wanted to watch the movie (which I haven’t seen yet). But I completly forgot to do so. :pinch:

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » May 13th, 2019, 10:00 am

I watched Who Killed the Electric Car? (2006) docu and was surprized to learn about EV1 - that was some impressive achievement for 1996! Most people probably never even heard of it, but that was way before Tesla... what is most interesting is that the technical characteristics have not improved that much since 1996... the battery tech is apparently still the weakest link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 13th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Been with my bf 2 years today. I’ve never even kept a friend that long. He is a cool guy.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 13th, 2019, 6:57 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 2:45 pm
Been with my bf 2 years today. I’ve never even kept a friend that long. He is a cool guy.
Congrats! Are you doing anything fun to celebrate?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 13th, 2019, 11:09 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 6:57 pm
mightysparks wrote:
Nah we don’t really do that kind of thing. He worked and I was at home watching films lol. The usual.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 14th, 2019, 12:17 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 11:09 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
mightysparks wrote:
Nah we don’t really do that kind of thing. He worked and I was at home watching films lol. The usual.
Fair enough - I'm usually in the "let's celebrate this in some way" camp, even if we're just splitting a bottle of champagne or something. Of course, I won't tell you what I did for the second anniversary of my wife's and my first date...
SpoilerShow
I married her - exactly two years to the day later. tehe

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 14th, 2019, 11:09 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 12:17 am
mightysparks wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 11:09 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:

Fair enough - I'm usually in the "let's celebrate this in some way" camp, even if we're just splitting a bottle of champagne or something. Of course, I won't tell you what I did for the second anniversary of my wife's and my first date...
SpoilerShow
I married her - exactly two years to the day later. tehe
It’s weird coz 2 years seems like nothing but I guess it’s really what you do with the time rather than the actual amount of time (like age I guess lol). Getting married after 2 years would’ve seemed weird to me a few years ago, but seems reasonable to me now.

We’ve been living together for most of those 2 years so things have been more intense/sped up I suppose. But it feels like we’ve been together forever but also that we still have a long way to go. A lot stems from my PTSD and autism/schizoid/whatever; it took me about 6 months just to learn how to hug.