Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

The Off-Topic Lounge

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Nothing says hipster more than using a grindhouse filter

https://i.imgur.com/r1f64iq.mp4
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Knalds, you don't live in Trumpistan anymore, do you? I believe it's time to update your location. :)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Lammetje wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 12:58 am Knalds, you don't live in Trumpistan anymore, do you? I believe it's time to update your location. :)
Oh, right! Will do.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Finished that video in the gaming thread. Never have I been so proud of something I've done, even if there's room for improvement for some portions.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Nice man! Digging your theme song, haha
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I’ve been really into jigsaw puzzles lately. When I was like 10-12 my grandma would often have one going at her place, or would buy some for me, and I’d do them when I’d stay there on weekends. But I haven’t really done any since. I took a few off her a couple of months ago that she was getting rid of and I finally started doing them about 2 weeks ago. I’d forgotten how relaxing and calming they were. Sometimes I lose track of time and I’ve been there for 5 hours.

I just finished my second which was a no edge, extra pieces one and it took me a week. And there was ONE piece missing :’( . Got a few more from her to do (luckily still in plastic), then I’m gonna go buy more. Want some really hard ones, the impossible one was really fun.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

If we lived in the same... hemisphere? I'd send you some. I also love puzzles - I grew up on them with my grandpa, but was really into them for a long time. I don't do them as much any more, but I still love pulling them out and obsessing for a bit. Tons of fun and super relaxing, unless I'm doing a puzzle with my wife, in which case we threaten to murder each other ~once every 15 minutes. :lol:
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I just finished a jigsaw puzzle a few hours ago. :o It has 3000 pieces and took me quite a while. The biggest one I ever did was 5000 pieces.

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I'd love to do one that big but I don't have the space for it :( 1000 is the max I have room for here.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

I'm doing a 5000 piece puzzle right now that I started, believe it or not, in 2001! At the time I didn't have enough space and so was doing it section by section, not an easy undertaking. After a couple of layoffs, by 2004 I wound up back in school with no time or space to do it (I wound up sectioning it in box-size chunks and storing it layered in the box). And after another two moves in 2009 and 2018 I still wound up in places too small to be of use, but in 2019 we finally wound up in a place with enough space to unpack it again. Of course I'm now left with nothing but sky, probably 1000-1500 pieces of it and it's tricky to get more than a few pieces in an hour. I bet it'll take another 8-12 months, especially with my eye problems (I haven't touched it since early November), but it'll be very satisfying to get it done after 20 years. There just better not be any pieces missing...
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

I bought a 1000 piece zebra puzzle for our realtor when we bought our house last year.

ImageImageImageImage

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Leopardi wrote: February 6th, 2021, 3:41 pm I'm doing a 5000 piece puzzle right now that I started, believe it or not, in 2001! At the time I didn't have enough space and so was doing it section by section, not an easy undertaking. After a couple of layoffs, by 2004 I wound up back in school with no time or space to do it (I wound up sectioning it in box-size chunks and storing it layered in the box). And after another two moves in 2009 and 2018 I still wound up in places too small to be of use, but in 2019 we finally wound up in a place with enough space to unpack it again. Of course I'm now left with nothing but sky, probably 1000-1500 pieces of it and it's tricky to get more than a few pieces in an hour. I bet it'll take another 8-12 months, especially with my eye problems (I haven't touched it since early November), but it'll be very satisfying to get it done after 20 years. There just better not be any pieces missing...
Mine looks like this:

I finished it when I was still a teenager. I'll probably do this one again someday, as I still have it stored somewhere. By the way, I usually start with the sky. :P

More memorable quotes
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Cool discussion. About to start on a 10,000 piece puzzle taken from this great painting:

I figure it'll take a week maybe?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Are there others here who force themselves to only connect pieces directly to the sides (rather than start with often more identifiable bits in the middle)?
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I always do the border first
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Yeah I work from the sides first, isn’t that the rule? Those puzzles you guys posted look beautiful, mine are kinda meh. Need to splurge a bit I think. I normally prefer the cartoony ones but I think that’s just coz of the low res of the ‘real’ ones. I’m doing a landscape one now and it’s a bit ugly and hard to make out.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I also collect the border pieces first (well, most of them - I will stumble upon the missing ones eventually when looking for other pieces). But if I understood Ondie correctly, he does not allow himself to place non-border pieces somewhere unless they can be attached to either border pieces or other pieces which are already connected to a border piece.

More memorable quotes
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

Lammetje wrote: February 6th, 2021, 8:24 pm
Leopardi wrote: February 6th, 2021, 3:41 pm I'm doing a 5000 piece puzzle right now that I started, believe it or not, in 2001! At the time I didn't have enough space and so was doing it section by section, not an easy undertaking. After a couple of layoffs, by 2004 I wound up back in school with no time or space to do it (I wound up sectioning it in box-size chunks and storing it layered in the box). And after another two moves in 2009 and 2018 I still wound up in places too small to be of use, but in 2019 we finally wound up in a place with enough space to unpack it again. Of course I'm now left with nothing but sky, probably 1000-1500 pieces of it and it's tricky to get more than a few pieces in an hour. I bet it'll take another 8-12 months, especially with my eye problems (I haven't touched it since early November), but it'll be very satisfying to get it done after 20 years. There just better not be any pieces missing...
Mine looks like this:

I finished it when I was still a teenager. I'll probably do this one again someday, as I still have it stored somewhere. By the way, I usually start with the sky. :P
Oh, I want this puzzle! It's gorgeous, I love it. I see there's one on rarepuzzles.com; I have a few other puzzles I want to tackle first, but I may pick this one up, it's exceptional.

Oldale, I can't for the life of me get your image to show on my computer (tried Chrome and Firebox), even when I go to the - can you let me know what the painting is? The largest puzzle I've done was 9120 pieces, Bruegel's Tower of Babel. I have a thing where I don't look at the image of the puzzle while I'm assembling it - in this case I knew the painting already, of course, but wouldn't consult it while the puzzle went together. Because of this (and because I was in university at the time) it took 16 months to complete, if I remember correctly.

I do tend to work in from the borders, but I'm not rigid about it and if there's a part of the puzzle away from the borders that can be worked on, I'll do it. But I can see how a "border only" policy would be appealing, maybe I"ll try that someday.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Leopardi wrote: February 7th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Oldale, I can't for the life of me get your image to show on my computer (tried Chrome and Firebox), even when I go to the - can you let me know what the painting is? The largest puzzle I've done was 9120 pieces, Bruegel's Tower of Babel. I have a thing where I don't look at the image of the puzzle while I'm assembling it - in this case I knew the painting already, of course, but wouldn't consult it while the puzzle went together. Because of this (and because I was in university at the time) it took 16 months to complete, if I remember correctly.
It was a joke post. It was a picture of a Robert Ryman painting - Ryman, if you don't know, was an American artist who in the later/major part of his career painted nothing but pure white squares. I saw an exhibit of his once in Chicago and was walking through the room, and my girlfriend said "they must not have gotten around to putting up the paintings yet", but there was a little flier that I looked at and, sure enough, the paintings were there. Not only were they all just white, they were pretty much all the same size as well - I think 4" x 4" or so if memory serves. I tend to believe I'm capable of accepting and understanding a great deal of abstract and modernist work in various artforms but this struck me as just pure playing the game - and still does, regardless of the fawning that some critics have done over him (or maybe because of it). Just do a google image search under his name; you'll see that sometimes there certainly are variations, and I think he used different paints, surfaces, textures - but it's mostly just white squares. The ultimate in a certain kind of performance art I suppose, or a certain kind of audience participation? We have to do all the work in conceiving of what it is or what it means.

Anyway so as not to take it off this particular off-topic too much, I do like puzzles but it's never been a hobby I've really done since high school. Never had any friends who were interested in them as I recall, and never lived with anybody who did them - and usually didn't have the space to do one. I do now actually - though not enough to do that impressive Neuschwanstein - so this has gotten me intrigued a bit. I guess my dad does puzzles quite a bit, or has done them over the past decade. And I've been intermittently searching for an old puzzle we had back when I was a kid, but have no idea how to find it - it was a port in a tropical cove as I remember, and probably not that large or that many pieces - no more than 500 certainly - but the vagueness of the memory keeps me from having much chance of finding it, one of those "I'll know it if I see it" things.
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

OldAle1 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 8:37 pm
Leopardi wrote: February 7th, 2021, 8:24 pm

It was a joke post. It was a picture of a Robert Ryman painting - Ryman, if you don't know, was an American artist who in the later/major part of his career painted nothing but pure white squares. I saw an exhibit of his once in Chicago and was walking through the room, and my girlfriend said "they must not have gotten around to putting up the paintings yet", but there was a little flier that I looked at and, sure enough, the paintings were there. Not only were they all just white, they were pretty much all the same size as well - I think 4" x 4" or so if memory serves. I tend to believe I'm capable of accepting and understanding a great deal of abstract and modernist work in various artforms but this struck me as just pure playing the game - and still does, regardless of the fawning that some critics have done over him (or maybe because of it). Just do a google image search under his name; you'll see that sometimes there certainly are variations, and I think he used different paints, surfaces, textures - but it's mostly just white squares. The ultimate in a certain kind of performance art I suppose, or a certain kind of audience participation? We have to do all the work in conceiving of what it is or what it means.

Anyway so as not to take it off this particular off-topic too much, I do like puzzles but it's never been a hobby I've really done since high school. Never had any friends who were interested in them as I recall, and never lived with anybody who did them - and usually didn't have the space to do one. I do now actually - though not enough to do that impressive Neuschwanstein - so this has gotten me intrigued a bit. I guess my dad does puzzles quite a bit, or has done them over the past decade. And I've been intermittently searching for an old puzzle we had back when I was a kid, but have no idea how to find it - it was a port in a tropical cove as I remember, and probably not that large or that many pieces - no more than 500 certainly - but the vagueness of the memory keeps me from having much chance of finding it, one of those "I'll know it if I see it" things.
Oh geez, that totally went right past me! Ha, sorry, I don't think I've heard of Ryman before, he showed up when I did a Google image search of that image but I thought it was a mistake. They do have puzzles like that, the 'dread' series (I remember hearing about the purple dread growing up) where it's just one colour, but I've never been motivated to do one, if I ever was I guess I'd just complete a regular puzzle image-down and save myself a couple of bucks. :lol:

I've always found jigsaw puzzles very relaxing, I almost go into a meditative state if I'm at it long enough (can't do that too often these days, it's too hard on my back). But yeah, being an overly anxious sort of person, having this as a pastime is both enjoyable and probably good for my health. :)
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Puzzles have always been a part of my life though now finding room for one is always a challenge. I think about setting up a card table in the living room, but it would be kind of awkward to get around. If ever I get the dining room table cleared off again ... but a large, flat space is always a premium target for stuff. UGH!

Actually, the Ryman painting isn't that far off the whole E grail of puzzledom when I was a kid - you know, before electric lights and horseless carriages and private lines - anyways, it was the same as the one mentioned in this post - my friends and I were only ever allowed to look up at the box on the highest shelf.

A few years back I tried to this balloon puzzle and it's the only one I remember giving up on. I probably work puzzles differently than most people - or at least that's my assumption since I see colors differently. Anyway, I start by sorting out all the edge pieces, completing the frame, and then looking for the most obvious features. So in the case of the balloon puzzle, I did the balloons, then the landscape. I tried sorting the sky by the brightness of the blues, but it was just near damn impossible for me and I still had hundreds of pieces to test against each other to see if they fit. And honestly, bits of blank color really just come down to testing pieces for the fit. I can complete most skies this way.

When I was able to go to thrift stores, I'd always check out the unopened puzzles for pictures that interested me. Probably have 10-20 puzzles on the shelf. Most I've done and might do again.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Oh, this is the last puzzle I've done. The box was sealed and I was able to complete it on a TV tray, but the strange thing was I was missing a single piece. I gave up and put it away for a while and then found the piece while cleaning the carpet after my prior dog died. I took the puzzle out and sure enough - it's been done and sitting on that tray for a very long time. I know I need to dust it off and put it away.

Again, I started with the frame, then worked on the most obvious features of the castle and trees in the foreground, etc. It wasn't that hard since there's actually a lot of variation in the background and sky.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Doing the puzzles does hurt my neck and back quite a bit but I also go into a sort of meditative trance. I’ve been getting increasingly bad anxiety ever since I stopped smoking weed a couple of years ago and the puzzles have been one of the most effective things to calm me down.

I have a round table at home so it’s not the best for puzzles. I could possibly fit a 2000 piece in the middle but it would be a bit uncomfortable.

I can’t find the puzzle I’m doing at the moment but this was the impossible one I just finished:

And this was the one that got me started: https://www.jigsawstore.com.au/ravensbu ... 0pc~219144

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

not sure if any I've done would qualify as busy as the two you just shared - no idea if that would make them "impossible" for me to complete or not. Usually I find lines and patterns more helpful than colors, but there's just so many in those! Now I'm curious.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

The New York one was really fun and looked good. It only took me about 2-3 days to finish. The butterfly one took me about a week, I didn't have the full picture and it has no edges and extra pieces (which is why it's called an 'impossible' puzzle). It was fun, but a few days were frustrating where I only managed to get like 3 matches.

This is the one I'm doing now: https://www.hinkler.com.au/sahale-arm-w ... ece-jigsaw

So far I've done most of the edges, the blue mountains, sky line and the lake. This one's quite hard because the colours and textures seem to blend too much in the pieces and it's hard to tell what they match to.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I saw a puzzle at a friend's house a while ago that was nothing else but a gold circle, so every piece of the puzzle had the exact same color. I think it was 1000 pieces so not that big, but I can't imagine the pain you must go through to just put them together purely based on shape.

I've got a movie clip of my daughter when she was 2 years old and she did some 20-pieces puzzle upside down, with the picture at the bottom facing the table. She picked up a piece, looked at the picture, then turned it around and put it on the right place (which is mirrored) without seeing the picture anymore.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

There’s a supermarket here where you can collect seedlings and a starter pot thing when you spend over a certain amount. I don’t shop there but someone had six lying around and I asked if I could have them. So I planted them all about a week ago.

Originally I put them on the table on the balcony but when I checked on them the next day, they’d all fallen over. One had emptied and three lost their id tags. So I moved them to a chair and they’ve been doing pretty well now. 4/5 have sprouted, though I don’t know what 3 of them are yet. I get really excited to check on them and see how much they’ve grown. Now I want lots of plants but I have limited space coz I just have a small balcony here. Need to find more people who shop at Woolies so I can steal their plants :ph43r:

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

Woolies or Woolworths went out of business years ago in the Uk.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

mightysparks wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:24 am There’s a supermarket here where you can collect seedlings and a starter pot thing when you spend over a certain amount. I don’t shop there but someone had six lying around and I asked if I could have them. So I planted them all about a week ago.

Originally I put them on the table on the balcony but when I checked on them the next day, they’d all fallen over. One had emptied and three lost their id tags. So I moved them to a chair and they’ve been doing pretty well now. 4/5 have sprouted, though I don’t know what 3 of them are yet. I get really excited to check on them and see how much they’ve grown. Now I want lots of plants but I have limited space coz I just have a small balcony here. Need to find more people who shop at Woolies so I can steal their plants :ph43r:
About a year ago I bought a $5 basil plant in a supermarket. One of those things with its own little pot. I randomly came across this video on Youtube about how to propagate basil plants and did that to our plant. I ended up with 6 plants in pots that provided us with occasional fresh basil throughout the summer and fall. Before first frost this fall we took in 3 of the plants and kept them going throughout the winter. Two days ago I cut back the plants for new "seedlings", 12 in total. They're now in water getting ready for the spring. If all goes well we'll have lots of basil this summer - maybe even enough to make some fresh pesto once in a while...!

ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

AdamH wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:16 pm Just found this football team: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_FC
In all fairness, it is a game that's best played on a flat bit of earth.
ImageImageImageImage

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Lammetje wrote: February 7th, 2021, 2:41 pm I also collect the border pieces first (well, most of them - I will stumble upon the missing ones eventually when looking for other pieces). But if I understood Ondie correctly, he does not allow himself to place non-border pieces somewhere unless they can be attached to either border pieces or other pieces which are already connected to a border piece.
No, the edges are free game. But once the entire edge is there, you can only add pieces that directly connect to something you've already laid. So not starting some very recognizable figure in the middle of the puzzle and connecting it afterwards.