Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th), Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Welcome to all the new members! let's all introduce ourselves here!

Obgeoff

Re: Welcome to all the new members! let's all introduce ourselves here!

Post by Obgeoff » May 29th, 2019, 9:58 am

Hi all, cinephile based in Ireland. Been on icheckmovies for some time - same username. Have only resumed daily movie watching this year. Work, study and small child meant last three years that I didn't see much.

Difficult to get to a cinema so now catching up on film history. Current project is going through the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They main list in chronological order of my unwatched.

Directors wise Ozu, Dreyer, Murnau, Kurosawa, Lubitsch, Melville, Akerman, Malick and Renoir come to mind. I like the Berlin School and Paul Thomas Anderson amongst many others of those working today.

Slightly intimidated by the knowledge levels here but enjoyed lurking recently so looking forward to engaging with you all.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » May 29th, 2019, 10:40 am

Hello, and welcome! Please do stick around!

Don't feel too intimidated. For the most part, this is a very welcoming community. It was well established before I joined in, and felt similar at first.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » May 29th, 2019, 10:54 am

Hi, Obgeoff! I hope you have a wonderful time here! Sounds to me like you fit right in.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 29th, 2019, 11:31 am

jal90 wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:55 pm
There's not much I can offer right now, but I made this top50 in Letterboxd a while ago (all of these are at least great). A lot of them are actually fairly well-known I think, like Ghiblies, Satoshi Kon, Ghost in the shell, Your name, etc. but I'd strongly recommend stuff like the Sunao Katabuchi movies (even the one that didn't make the list is very charming), Night on the galactic railroad (a personal favorite), Kayoko's diary (very unknown and one of the best anime WWII movies after Grave of the fireflies) or Chie the brat (one of the best, and least seen in the West, of the late Isao Takahata).
Ah, a fellow anime fan with a taste for more mature work. This forum could definitely use a couple of those :)
Kayoko's Diary looks pretty interesting, definitely will be keeping an eye out for that one.

For my own recommendations, here's my list of favorite animations. Not all anime, but the bigger part of the list is Japanese.

Welcome!

jal90

Post by jal90 » May 29th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 11:31 am
jal90 wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:55 pm
There's not much I can offer right now, but I made this top50 in Letterboxd a while ago (all of these are at least great). A lot of them are actually fairly well-known I think, like Ghiblies, Satoshi Kon, Ghost in the shell, Your name, etc. but I'd strongly recommend stuff like the Sunao Katabuchi movies (even the one that didn't make the list is very charming), Night on the galactic railroad (a personal favorite), Kayoko's diary (very unknown and one of the best anime WWII movies after Grave of the fireflies) or Chie the brat (one of the best, and least seen in the West, of the late Isao Takahata).
Ah, a fellow anime fan with a taste for more mature work. This forum could definitely use a couple of those :)
Kayoko's Diary looks pretty interesting, definitely will be keeping an eye out for that one.

For my own recommendations, here's my list of favorite animations. Not all anime, but the bigger part of the list is Japanese.

Welcome!
Thanks! I like to think my taste is varied, just not that much into the sci-fi/dystopian kind that seems the immediate alternative for people who want to explore anime (more into slice of life as said in the anime thread). But there's many I enjoyed and there's many I look forward to watch from that genre as well.

That's a really good list, some stuff I didn't even know and a lot of arthouse that was just barely on my radar but I didn't have references for. You have a quite interesting taste!

Edit.- Agdkdkfk I didn't read the previous messages. Welcome to the board, Obgeoff!
Last edited by jal90 on May 29th, 2019, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 29th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Really happy to have you onboard, Obgeoff! Going through TSPDT is (if you enjoy most of what you have seen so far) extremely rewarding - even though a lot of the stragglers will be films you may have had no interest in exploring. Feel free to share your experiences in the last movie seen thread, the film lounge, or your own thread(s) - there are no rules, and you can open as many threads as you want - for any topic. ;)

What are your favorite Berlin School films? I have seen extremely few recent German films.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 29th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Welcome, Obgeoff! When your small child gets a little less small, you can look for good kiddie films - Ireland is a good place to start.

Here's our recent forum list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... en/mjf314/
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 29th, 2019, 9:52 pm

jal90 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:01 pm
Thanks! I like to think my taste is varied, just not that much into the sci-fi/dystopian kind that seems the immediate alternative for people who want to explore anime (more into slice of life as said in the anime thread). But there's many I enjoyed and there's many I look forward to watch from that genre as well.

That's a really good list, some stuff I didn't even know and a lot of arthouse that was just barely on my radar but I didn't have references for. You have a quite interesting taste!
Thanks! Seeing you liked Night On the Galactic Railroad, I would definitely recommend Spring & Chaos. And if you want to start checking stuff, I can recommend the Paste Anime list on ICM, it has a very strong selection of films.
Also kudos for including Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou in your list, that (mini)series is such a breath of fresh air. Will definitely be checking the titles from your list I haven't seen yet. Good anime feature film recommendations are hard to come by :)

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » May 29th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Thank you for the welcoming.

St. Gloede, in terms of the Berlin school, my top ten would be:
1. Longing (Grisebach)
2. Sleeper (Heisenberg)
3. A Fine Day (Arslan)
4. Passing Summer (Schanelec)
5. The Forest for the Trees (Ade)
6. Afternoon (Schanelec)
7. The Robber (Heisenberg)
8. Bungalow (Kohler)
9. Yella (Petzold)
10. Marseille (Schanelec)

I'm behind on watching their more recent releases though - I haven't seen Western or Toni Erdmann for instance.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 30th, 2019, 5:41 am

Obgeoff wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:10 pm
Thank you for the welcoming.

St. Gloede, in terms of the Berlin school, my top ten would be:
1. Longing (Grisebach)
2. Sleeper (Heisenberg)
3. A Fine Day (Arslan)
4. Passing Summer (Schanelec)
5. The Forest for the Trees (Ade)
6. Afternoon (Schanelec)
7. The Robber (Heisenberg)
8. Bungalow (Kohler)
9. Yella (Petzold)
10. Marseille (Schanelec)

I'm behind on watching their more recent releases though - I haven't seen Western or Toni Erdmann for instance.
Thank you, not seen any of the films on your list (though I did see Western and Toni Erdmann :lol: ). I will watch Longing this week and let you know what I think (that should make Cinewest happy too, he has been recommending Longing loudly ever since Western blew up).

Rogan77

Post by Rogan77 » September 26th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am SEO Expert and also a student.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » September 26th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Rogan77 wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 12:30 pm
Hello Everyone,
I am SEO Expert and also a student.
Welcome!

Arigatō-san

Post by Arigatō-san » December 14th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a writer and my favorite films are Ozu, Setsuko Hara, Wong Kar Wai. Looking forward to sharing experiences with all of you.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » December 14th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Arigatō-san wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 1:04 pm
Hello everyone. I'm a writer and my favorite films are Ozu, Setsuko Hara, Wong Kar Wai. Looking forward to sharing experiences with all of you.
Hi Argiato-San

I'm sure you will find a lot of other Japanese cinema enthusiasts on here.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 14th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Big fan of contemporary Japanese cinema, not so much Ozu and other classics though. But welcome!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » December 14th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Arigatō-san wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 1:04 pm
Great homage to feature the name and image of a film by Ozu's (most likely) favourite director as well. :cheers:

Welcome, and hope you will enjoy our forum.

Arigatō-san

Post by Arigatō-san » December 14th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Arigatō! Thank you everyone.

St. Gloede wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 7:41 pm
Great homage to feature the name and image of a film by Ozu's (most likely) favourite director as well. :cheers:

Of course, I had to include the very lovely Michiko Kuwano sitting next to me as well. I'm sure Ozu liked her a lot too. After Mr. Thank You he cast her in his next two films. :cheers:

Arigatō-san

Post by Arigatō-san » December 14th, 2019, 9:50 pm

By the way, I'm doing a challenge to acquire and watch all Ozu and Setsuko Hara films. Is there a particular section of the forum where it's best to start such a thread?

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 14th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Arigatō-san wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 9:50 pm
By the way, I'm doing a challenge to acquire and watch all Ozu and Setsuko Hara films. Is there a particular section of the forum where it's best to start such a thread?
Everyone is welcome to start a new thread, but if you prefer an existing one, I'd suggest our existing thread on Ozu or maybe this one..?
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » December 15th, 2019, 12:21 pm

It can be really fun to follow personal quests and challenges. As it is a personal journey you can do it on General (or Film Logs), though Challenges (usually for groups) is also an option.

Looking forward to hear about your journey. Seen all of Ozu's full length films sans The Lady and the Beard, should get around to it.

Arigatō-san

Post by Arigatō-san » December 21st, 2019, 10:44 pm

I have seen The Lady and the Beard. Although the film is not in good condition, the first half is funny enough. I imagine the situational comedy was even funnier to contemporary Japanese audiences; the movie was a big hit. The second half kinda falls apart though when it gets into romance and stuff.

Arigatō-san

Post by Arigatō-san » December 21st, 2019, 10:45 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 10:14 pm
I'd suggest our existing thread on Ozu or maybe this one..?
The Setsuko thread ... hilarious! lol

Zenigame

Post by Zenigame » February 24th, 2020, 7:16 am

Oh, i did'nt see this topic

So hello, I am Zeni. First of all, I'm french and even if I live in Internet for a long time, I have still some difficulties in english. Sorry for that. (but we can say I'm here to improve that ahah)

My movie count is low (around 1400 now) for my age (28), but I started to watch many films very late. And in fact, it's why I'm here, to discover some new pearls !
For now, my favorite films are Roger Rabbit, Forrest Gump (Zemeckis <3), Into the Spider-Verse and a Silent Voice. Yes, I love animation movies. And by the way, my profile pic is from L'Extraordinaire Voyage de Marona, a franco-romanian movie with a crazy animation, about the life and the death of a random dog.

Also, I like video games, football (soccer), listen too much podcast, and in real life I am an Escape Game Designer.

Voilà, as we say with us :)

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » February 24th, 2020, 7:38 am

Bienvenue then

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 24th, 2020, 10:08 am

Zenigame wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 7:16 am
and in real life I am an Escape Game Designer.
Unusual. How'd you get there?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 24th, 2020, 10:46 am

Welcome Zenigame!

Great to have you here, and never even heard of "L'extraordinaire voyage de Marona", adding it to my watchlist. Let's hope we can help you find what you are looking for.

Also, when you say Escape Game Designer, do you mean Escape Rooms? Love them!

Oh, and if you are looking for trippy animation a forum favourite is Fehérlófia: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/feherlofia/
ImageImage

Zenigame

Post by Zenigame » February 25th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Thank You St Gloede for your recommandation :) I'll try to watch this this week-end.

Yep, Escape Game and Escape Room it's approximately the same thing ahah. Basically, how i've got this job, it's a long story. But in summary, after 2 years of webmaster in banks, a job I hated. And one day, i decided to take a job i could love rather than a well-paid job. I searched and found this, and even if I have less money, I love what I do, and that's matters, I guess.

In any case, thank you for the welcome :D

erde

Post by erde » February 26th, 2020, 8:34 am

Welcome, Zenigame (although I'm fairly new here myself)! I do not think that your movie count is low for your age at all, unless you compare it with people who have been determined cinefiles since they were young. What matters of course is what those movies are and do they represent the kind of cinema that you are interested in now. Do you have some goals for your film watching, for example some movie lists that you are aiming to complete at this moment?
Image Image

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » February 26th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Hi, Zenigame, You're not the only french person in this forum, and we all struggle with english.
Everybody here is very understanding, though, and there is a lot of love for movies. That's something to enjoy...

Zenigame

Post by Zenigame » February 29th, 2020, 7:27 pm

erde wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 8:34 am
Welcome, Zenigame (although I'm fairly new here myself)! I do not think that your movie count is low for your age at all, unless you compare it with people who have been determined cinefiles since they were young. What matters of course is what those movies are and do they represent the kind of cinema that you are interested in now. Do you have some goals for your film watching, for example some movie lists that you are aiming to complete at this moment?

Yes, sure ahah
Yes, I put a goal for this year in fact, two : The first one is watching at least 500 movies this year (my record for now in one year is 155). I actually am at 71 now, so I can do this
My second, I speak about that in this topic: I try to watch 3 films per year between 1920 and 2020 (in the order, of course). I bought the book "1001 must see before you die" to help me to choose the movies :lol:
cinephage wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 2:09 pm
Hi, Zenigame, You're not the only french person in this forum, and we all struggle with english.
Everybody here is very understanding, though, and there is a lot of love for movies. That's something to enjoy...
Yeah, salut les autres français, ça va bien ? :D

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 29th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Zenigame wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 7:27 pm
watching at least 500 movies this year (my record for now in one year is 155)
This goal (considering you're coming from 155), joining this forum and joining challenges......
I see a new movie-addict in the making.
You're in the right place here!
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

erde

Post by erde » February 29th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Zenigame wrote:
Yes, I put a goal for this year in fact, two : The first one is watching at least 500 movies this year (my record for now in one year is 155). I actually am at 71 now, so I can do this
My second, I speak about that in this topic: I try to watch 3 films per year between 1920 and 2020 (in the order, of course). I bought the book "1001 must see before you die" to help me to choose the movies :lol:
Wow. What a pace. Amazing to see you watch all the classic silents with such systematicity and determination. I hope that you enjoy them - in fact you have just watched many of my dear old favourites.

Have a great ride!
Image Image

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » March 2nd, 2020, 12:16 pm

Zenigame wrote:
cinephage wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 2:09 pm
Yeah, salut les autres français, ça va bien ? :D
Mais oui ! Tu as un bel objectif, et j'espère que tu le tiendras. Mais mon conseil, c'est de ne pas trop te forcer, il faut éviter la saturation. Si tu continues à t"amuser devant l'écran, continue à voir des films, mais si tu as envie de faire un tour dehors ou d'aller voir des amis, n'hésite pas... Après, je vois environ 500 films par an depuis un bon moment, et je ne suis pas du tout lassé, donc voila.

In any case, I hope you have fun watching all these films, and please come and share your impressions, likes and dislikes. You will often find someone here ready to challenge your views with solid arguments, which allows for interesting discussions.

dinah

Post by dinah » March 4th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Hi all,
After some lurking, I finally decided to jump on here. I'm 28 and working a boring 9 to 5 which affords me plenty of time to surf the web, so hopefully I'll become a regular user here :)
As for my movie tastes, I try to watch things from all periods and places, both established canon titles as well as overlooked/underappreciated/rediscovered films, but I do have a particular soft spot for East Asian titles. Unfortunately, far too few of those see distribution here. After attending my second Berlinale this year I've decided that I need to go to the cinema more often again, let's see if I can stick to that resolution. Other than that, I have two concrete goals regarding iCM lists this year: reaching the halfway mark on both TSPDT (167 to go) and TSP21 (85 to go - the recent update gave me a good boost here, so I may have to come up with an alternative goal once I get reach to 50% here).
I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)
PS: same nickname on iCM

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 4th, 2020, 6:09 pm

dinah wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 5:47 pm
but I do have a particular soft spot for East Asian titles.
Welcome! :cheers:
Big fan of contemporary Japanese, Chinese, Hong Kong & Taiwanese cinema myself, so you won't feel too alone!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » March 4th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Welcome, Dinah!

Great to have you here.

Are you from Germany, or do you flyu in for the Berlinale? We have a few Germans (and Austrians) here already. Bit jealous, have to admit I have yet to have attended anything but smaller film festivals.

What are some of your favourite East Asian films we may not have heard of?

dinah

Post by dinah » March 4th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Thanks for the welcomes :)
St. Gloede wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 6:18 pm
Are you from Germany, or do you flyu in for the Berlinale?
From Germany, but only moved to Berlin in 2018 (well after that year's Berlinale, though).
St. Gloede wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 6:18 pm
What are some of your favourite East Asian films we may not have heard of?
I don't think there is much in terms of older films I have seen that a well seasoned crowd such as yourselves (especially those with an interest in the region) haven't seen/heard of, but there are a number of recent films I enjoyed that definitely deserve some more exposure and are worth checking out if they pop up anywhere:

Fukuoka
From Tomorrow on, I Will
And Your Bird Can Sing
We Are Little Zombies
The Crossing
So Long, My Son
37 Seconds (on Netflix now)
Old Stone
The Tale of Iya
Angels Wear White
Still Human

Also, they premiered the 4k restoration of Jia Zhangke's Xiao Wu this year, instant favorite. Highly recommended for those who haven't seen it yet once it starts making the rounds.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » March 4th, 2020, 7:32 pm

Only seen Angel's Wear White from the list above (which was great) will definitely watch list the others, thank you!

Jia is a little hit or miss for me, love Platform, but only like Pickpocket, may go down better on a rewatch though.

dinah

Post by dinah » March 4th, 2020, 9:03 pm

I hope they restore more of his older films, been wanting to see Platform for a while now.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 4th, 2020, 9:29 pm

The Tale of Iya has some support here already, glad to see another fan!