Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Welcome to all the new members! let's all introduce ourselves here!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Re: Welcome to all the new members! let's all introduce ourselves here!

Post by maxwelldeux » January 11th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Welcome Cinepolis! Glad to have you around - plenty of film buffs here as well as quite a few music aficionados.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 11th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Cinepolis wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 4:20 pm
Angerfist, DJ Nosferatu
:D High Five!

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » January 11th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Onderhond wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 6:23 pm
Cinepolis wrote:
Angerfist, DJ Nosferatu
:D High Five!
:cheers:
Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » January 12th, 2019, 2:02 am

Cinepolis wrote:
German reinforcement here. Finally, one of the registration emails came through, so I could activate my account.
Sorry about that, your email host doesn't like our email server apparently. If you ever run into login issues PM me on ICM. Glad to have you.

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » January 12th, 2019, 10:38 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 2:02 am
Cinepolis wrote:
German reinforcement here. Finally, one of the registration emails came through, so I could activate my account.
Sorry about that, your email host doesn't like our email server apparently. If you ever run into login issues PM me on ICM. Glad to have you.
Thanks, appreciate it.

erde

Post by erde » February 3rd, 2019, 10:05 am

Hi! I'm a 36 year old film buff from Finland. My cineflia started in my teens when I got Alanen's Finnish movie guide as a present from my mother (https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/antt ... rokenface/). (Actually, it was the first edition from 1995 that is not on ICM.) I'm a sociolinguist by training and work as a civil servant for the government now, but movies have always stayed with me as my favourite thing to do when I'm not working or with my family. My favourite directors include Roy Andersson, Evgeni Bauer, Ingmar Bergman, Robert Bresson, Luis Buñuel, Federico Fellini, Masaki Kobayashi, Stanley Kubrick, Akira Kurosawa, David Lynch, Kenji Mizoguchi, F.W. Murnau, Max Ophüls, Victor Sjöström, Andrei Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr. I watched a lot of films before, but ICM has certainly made my obsession worse/better (depending on who you ask) for the last three years. And now that I found this great forum, I thought that I'd joint it, too!

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » February 3rd, 2019, 11:23 am

That's a very decent list of directors, Erde!

I almost started studying sociolinguistics myself, but then someone pointed out it wouldn't benefit my chances for a decent job. So I decided to study psychology. The end result is similar though, I'm in the civil service as well. :lol:

Anyhow, nice to have you here!
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

TheRedDeath

Post by TheRedDeath » February 3rd, 2019, 11:36 am

Hi everyone! I'm not exactly a new member, but I've returned here after a long absence and didn't want to make a thread saying hello, so I say it here :). The last few years have been bad for me movie-wise (I had simply lost all interest in film watching as a hobby), but 2019 is slowly getting better. I haven't watched much so far, only 3 movies, but it's still better than in 2018, when I watched 11 (!!) in total.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 3rd, 2019, 11:50 am

Daymm, what have you been occupying yourself with instead?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

TheRedDeath

Post by TheRedDeath » February 3rd, 2019, 12:16 pm

Armoreska wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 11:50 am
Daymm, what have you been occupying yourself with instead?
Mostly books and video games :)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 3rd, 2019, 12:25 pm

Welcome Erde, hope you will enjoy the forum. Solid overlap between our favorite directors as well, though this may be the first time I have seen anyone rate Bauer this highly, interesting choice.

Also, a warm welcome back TheRedDeath, good to have you here. Gone through slumps with no interest in film as well, but never to that extent. Must have been some brilliant books and games.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 3rd, 2019, 6:11 pm

Welcome, erde! Sounds like you'll fit right in here.

Good to see you back, TheRedDeath. You'll probably recognize several long time members, but the userbase has changed a lot as well. The core is still the same though. We're still a bunch of list-obsessive, OCDish, weird bunch of movie devourers. :lol:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

erde

Post by erde » February 5th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Gershwin wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 11:23 am
The end result is similar though, I'm in the civil service as well. :lol:
That's right - no use to fight the machine. :lol:

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

erde

Post by erde » February 5th, 2019, 9:23 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 12:25 pm
Solid overlap between our favorite directors as well, though this may be the first time I have seen anyone rate Bauer this highly, interesting choice.
Bauer is the psychological, existentialist, visual supermaster of early (or any kind of) cinema! I'm ready to talk him up anytime. :P

Listing favourite directors or movies quickly in a short list is always agonizing, though, and I always forget one or several that i consider as important and feel the annoying need to drop more names afterwards. (I'll bite my tongue now.)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 5th, 2019, 9:26 pm

erde wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 9:23 pm
St. Gloede wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 12:25 pm
Solid overlap between our favorite directors as well, though this may be the first time I have seen anyone rate Bauer this highly, interesting choice.
Bauer is the psychological, existentialist, visual supermaster of early (or any kind of) cinema! I'm ready to talk him up anytime. :P

Listing favourite directors or movies quickly in a short list is always agonizing, though, and I always forget one or several that i consider as important and feel the annoying need to drop more names afterwards. (I'll bite my tongue now.)
Don't worry. On this forum you'll have plenty of time and opportunities to list your favorite movies and directors. :rolleyes:
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » February 6th, 2019, 9:05 am

ripleyreviews wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this forum by accident while searching for something on ICM page. Glad to find you guys.

I'm 28 year old from Zagreb. Croatia. I'm also a film critic and I just started a fresh reviewing platform so I'll just put it here if you want to support it and like it.

https://www.facebook.com/ripleyreviews/
https://www.instagram.com/ripleyreviews/

I'll read a bit around the forum now.
A month late, but welcome! Lived in Zagreb a few years ago, and planning to go back this year when I'm (hopefully) in Pula. Think you might be the first Croatian 'round these parts. Looking forward to your thoughts on films from your region :)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 6th, 2019, 9:24 am

Part of my honeymoon was actually spent i Zagreb, lovely city and loved Croatia as a whole!

MovieSchmuck

Post by MovieSchmuck » February 24th, 2019, 2:13 am

Hi. Just tumbled across your site & it looks great. Been a film fan since I was a kid, all genres. Worked as a projectionist and film lab manager for 25 yrs., ending up at Technicolor. Favourite movies (in no particular order): Three Musketeers (74 version) and Burn (AKA Queimada 1969). Cheers

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 24th, 2019, 2:21 am

MovieSchmuck wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 2:13 am
Hi. Just tumbled across your site & it looks great. Been a film fan since I was a kid, all genres. Worked as a projectionist and film lab manager for 25 yrs., ending up at Technicolor. Favourite movies (in no particular order): Three Musketeers (74 version) and Burn (AKA Queimada 1969). Cheers
Welcome, hope you stick around. If you have more favourite movies you're welcome to make a list and participate in our annual poll viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4189
Pretty cool that you worked at technicolor sounds like it must have been (is?) an interesting job.

MovieSchmuck

Post by MovieSchmuck » February 24th, 2019, 2:44 pm

I saw a lot of movies, that's for sure. (Sometimes the same one a hundred times, but that's the downside, harharhar )

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » February 24th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Hi all. I'm a movie fan from West Midlands UK.
I've seen a fair few films but really just like to hang on forums and gawp at all the lists.

Hopefully I'll gain the motivation to watch and analyse from being here as I've got more free time than usual on my hands atm.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » February 24th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Welcome to the both of you. Nice to have you!
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 24th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Welcome to both of you!

Jenny, lots of lists on this forum, so there's enough to gawp at. :thumbsup:
ICM-profile

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 25th, 2019, 2:28 pm

MovieSchmuck wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 2:13 am
I'm with you on Burn, MS. I loved The 3 Musketeers (the book) so much as a young teenager that I read all the sequels... when the 74 movie came out I wasn't ready for all the slapstick. I'd do better now, I guess.

@erde: I don't know how much Bauer I've seen but I favorited Umirayushchiy lebed.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 25th, 2019, 2:31 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 2:54 pm
I've seen a fair few films but really just like to hang on forums and gawp at all the lists.

Hopefully I'll gain the motivation to watch and analyse from being here as I've got more free time than usual on my hands atm.
Welcome, PJ. Is there a ship with eight sails and fifty cannons in your background?
Last edited by 3eyes on February 25th, 2019, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 25th, 2019, 2:53 pm

I have actually not seen The Three Musketeers :o

But I do love Burn!

Welcome both, nice to see that even pitates and schmucks want to join our forum.

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » February 25th, 2019, 3:30 pm

3eyes wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 2:31 pm
PirateJenny wrote:

Welcome, PJ. Is there a ship with eight sails and fifty canons in your background?
No I was reading The House of Rumour by Jake Arnott last month, randomly saw the Kurt Weil song mentioned and it seemed to fit.
I probably need to see more pirate movies now. :D

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 25th, 2019, 3:47 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:30 pm
3eyes wrote:
PirateJenny wrote:

Welcome, PJ. Is there a ship with eight sails and fifty cannons in your background?
No I was reading The House of Rumour by Jake Arnott last month, randomly saw the Kurt Weil song mentioned and it seemed to fit.
Favorite genre in my childhood. Still use it for action challenges. Here's a list for you: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/pira ... ral+softy/ ;)

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » February 25th, 2019, 4:18 pm

3eyes wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:47 pm
PirateJenny wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:30 pm
3eyes wrote:

Favorite genre in my childhood. Still use it for action challenges. Here's a list for you: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/pira ... ral+softy/ ;)
I'm hooked. :lol:

Thanks! It's probably weird I used the forum first but I'll get to the main site soon for lists.

MovieSchmuck

Post by MovieSchmuck » February 27th, 2019, 12:14 am

Finally got back in! Goodness, Tapa makes it tough.
I saw 3 Musketeers for my 13th birthday, before I read the book. Grabbed hold of my brain & never let go. It's always the ones you grew up that stick, right ?

jal90

Post by jal90 » May 19th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Hello! I'm a 28-year-old movie fan from Spain. Got some interaction with the people at SCFZ, but I've always been more of a lurker. My Letterboxd is up to date and I'm updating my IMDb (and my iCM in consequence).

I'd talk about how my film tastes evolved but it's not like I have taste anyway they are sort of chaotic and go through incoherent phases and moods. I like a wide range of stuff and at the same time I haven't fully devoted myself to explore anything in specific.

I just found out about the existence of this forum and joined because it looks pretty cool, with nice debates, listing and challenges and a more or less big active userbase. It is the sort of community I have been missing for a while, because my cinephilia grew through forums and this format of interaction has become less and less popular among fellow film fans.

My current personal situation doesn't leave me much time to watch movies, and I'm more into an anime phase lately anyway, so don't expect me to be very active here for a while. I will lurk as usual and try to participate in film talk from time to time, but I hope to become more of a regular in the future.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 19th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Great to have you onboard, Jal!

Any anime films you'd recommend that might have slipped by us?

jal90

Post by jal90 » May 19th, 2019, 2:55 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Thank you, St. Gloede!

There's not much I can offer right now, but I made this top50 in Letterboxd a while ago (all of these are at least great). A lot of them are actually fairly well-known I think, like Ghiblies, Satoshi Kon, Ghost in the shell, Your name, etc. but I'd strongly recommend stuff like the Sunao Katabuchi movies (even the one that didn't make the list is very charming), Night on the galactic railroad (a personal favorite), Kayoko's diary (very unknown and one of the best anime WWII movies after Grave of the fireflies) or Chie the brat (one of the best, and least seen in the West, of the late Isao Takahata).

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 19th, 2019, 6:15 pm

jal90 wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:25 pm
I'd talk about how my film tastes evolved but it's not like I have taste anyway they are sort of chaotic and go through incoherent phases and moods. I like a wide range of stuff and at the same time I haven't fully devoted myself to explore anything in specific.
Welcome! :cheers:

I'm in a similar boat - I'm pretty new to cinephilia, and my tastes are still evolving quite a bit. Which is why I'm into the challenges - it's an excuse to explore areas in a bit more depth, but without a lengthy commitment.

jal90

Post by jal90 » May 19th, 2019, 8:53 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 6:15 pm
jal90 wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:25 pm
Welcome! :cheers:

I'm in a similar boat - I'm pretty new to cinephilia, and my tastes are still evolving quite a bit. Which is why I'm into the challenges - it's an excuse to explore areas in a bit more depth, but without a lengthy commitment.
Thank you!

I don't know if I can consider myself new though, it's been 10 years already of cinephilia. I have just watched a lot less than I probably should because I can't focus enough xD

The challenges sound great and they are partly the reason why I'm joining (been reading the forums a little), but I don't think I'll be able to join one right now. Maybe in the near future when I can spend enough time on them. There's plenty of areas I'd like to explore.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 19th, 2019, 10:06 pm

My tastes are still evolving after 75+ years.

Kayoko's Diary looks like a find - with Eng CC.

I have both the Barefoot Gen movies on DVD. Also just saw Mirai, which I sent to my granddaughter, who has recently acquired a baby brother.

Welcome! As for challenges, I used to be into them bigtime but am now watching just a few and that's quite satisfying. It does give you a window, however small, into what you might want to explore in more detail later.

jal90

Post by jal90 » May 19th, 2019, 10:35 pm

^It's kind of hard to find, but at the time I didn't have much of a problem to find a torrent. In Nyaa I think (searched as "Who's left behind"). I think it's in some streaming sites as well. That vid sadly doesn't seem to have good Eng subs (or they don't display here for some reason).

And thanks for the welcome! That's exactly how I'd like to use the challenges, by the way xD

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 20th, 2019, 5:48 am

jal90 wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:55 pm
St. Gloede wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Thank you, St. Gloede!

There's not much I can offer right now, but I made this top50 in Letterboxd a while ago (all of these are at least great).
Thanks, still have a decent bit more to see!