Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Welcome to all the new members! let's all introduce ourselves here!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

carlos99 wrote: August 20th, 2020, 2:02 am Hi, my name is Carlos, I'm new to the forum
Welcome! Come poke around. Plenty to do and discuss here. :cheers:
eutow

Post by eutow »

Hello! Pleasant to see a still-living forum these days. I've gotten a bit bored of the more dynamic (and/or entirely useless) places for online discussion, so I hope I'll find some interesting discussions here and - again hopefully - positively contribute to them. :D
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

eutow wrote: August 25th, 2020, 12:58 am Hello! Pleasant to see a still-living forum these days. I've gotten a bit bored of the more dynamic (and/or entirely useless) places for online discussion, so I hope I'll find some interesting discussions here and - again hopefully - positively contribute to them. :D
Welcome! Poke around, have fun, and enjoy! :cheers:
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

eutow wrote: August 25th, 2020, 12:58 am Hello! Pleasant to see a still-living forum these days. I've gotten a bit bored of the more dynamic (and/or entirely useless) places for online discussion, so I hope I'll find some interesting discussions here and - again hopefully - positively contribute to them. :D
Welcome, eutow! Happy to have you here.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Welcome, eutow!

Were you on any of the major forums that closed down?
eutow

Post by eutow »

St. Gloede wrote: August 25th, 2020, 6:47 amWelcome, eutow!

Were you on any of the major forums that closed down?
Not really, I didn't visit any forums that I might call major. It was mid-to-small ones, for games, music, a local forum (i.e. for Croatia), that I visit - and they haven't closed down, though some have become extremely slow.
Mulholland

Post by Mulholland »

Hi, this is more a re-introduction as haven't really been active on the forums for... wow pretty much 4 years. Back on the old zetaboards.

Not sure how much I'll be posting - it's been a whole since I've been on any forums - but I remembered having good times on here so rather than just lurk I thought it would be good to re-introduce myself.

So, hi I'm Peter I'm from London, UK and like everyone here I love films. Also big fan of video games and music and I run the best-of aggregation site Play That Game. I did a major update of that recently, which is how I now have time to be posting online again.

Despite starting the journey back in 2003, I am still making my way through the 1001 film list. But I am finally in the position to finish it in 2-3 years, which is exciting.

Hope to see you around :)
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I think top 1000 should be explanded to 2000 or beyond
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I remember you from back in the day, Mullie. Welcome back!
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Mulholland wrote: October 15th, 2020, 12:12 pm So, hi I'm Peter I'm from London, UK and like everyone here I love films. Also big fan of video games and music and I run the best-of aggregation site Play That Game. I did a major update of that recently, which is how I now have time to be posting online again.
Nice to see you again. Thought I should tell you that I've started gaming for the past year and a half :)
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: October 15th, 2020, 1:51 pm
Mulholland wrote: October 15th, 2020, 12:12 pm So, hi I'm Peter I'm from London, UK and like everyone here I love films. Also big fan of video games and music and I run the best-of aggregation site Play That Game. I did a major update of that recently, which is how I now have time to be posting online again.
Nice to see you again. Thought I should tell you that I've started gaming for the past year and a half :)
...weird games and making video reviews of em
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Mulholland wrote: October 15th, 2020, 12:12 pm Hi, this is more a re-introduction as haven't really been active on the forums for... wow pretty much 4 years. Back on the old zetaboards.

Not sure how much I'll be posting - it's been a whole since I've been on any forums - but I remembered having good times on here so rather than just lurk I thought it would be good to re-introduce myself.

So, hi I'm Peter I'm from London, UK and like everyone here I love films. Also big fan of video games and music and I run the best-of aggregation site Play That Game. I did a major update of that recently, which is how I now have time to be posting online again.

Despite starting the journey back in 2003, I am still making my way through the 1001 film list. But I am finally in the position to finish it in 2-3 years, which is exciting.

Hope to see you around :)
Welcome back! Nice to see you again. :thumbsup:
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Nice to see your name here again! Welcome back! :cheers:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Welcome back, Mulholland! Lot's of regulars still hanging around here, so I hope you feel right at home again.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Mulholland

Post by Mulholland »

Okay I'm feeling all warm inside now. Thanks everyone :D
Armoreska wrote: October 15th, 2020, 12:19 pm I think top 1000 should be explanded to 2000 or beyond
I was looking into that during my last update - at the moment the points are still in a position where a game could enter the top 2000 based on performing extremely well on two 'all time' lists. Once that mathematically cannot happen, we'll expand :)
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Really happy to have you back, Mulholland!
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Mulholland wrote: October 15th, 2020, 11:30 pm Okay I'm feeling all warm inside now. Thanks everyone :D
Armoreska wrote: October 15th, 2020, 12:19 pm I think top 1000 should be explanded to 2000 or beyond
I was looking into that during my last update - at the moment the points are still in a position where a game could enter the top 2000 based on performing extremely well on two 'all time' lists. Once that mathematically cannot happen, we'll expand :)
Promoting stuff that only makes a handful lists is also important =)
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Quartoxuma

Post by Quartoxuma »

Hey everyone,

I have been a member on ICM for nearly ten years and was a very active user in the first years, signed up for the forum, etc.

Some unrelated events kept me away for a while and I only checked occasionally. Last April, I was moving and had to get rid of a lot of stuff I had accumulated. In a bizarre way I couldn't let go of a copy of Amos Vogels' book I had never read and was immediately reminded of my intense film years.

In my high school years, I met this beautiful person who took me under her wings and someday we got to talk about movies. Testing my sensitivities, she someday suggested I should watch Gaspar Noe's 'Irreversible' which I did. What followed was an intense relationship sprinkled with films that could be considered 'shocking'. We had found some kind of subversive moment for ourselves in a small town. ICM had always been a large part of it and despite all the small frustrations one can have with the site, it has been part of my adolescence and it has something to it, that no other site could reproduce for me.

Either way, I was holding that copy of Vogel and knew I couldn't let it go. I noticed some irregularities and dimly remembered the forum and posted on the discuss tab (which I thought to be the new version of the forum). I noticed there was a 500 < 400 list collection going and I made sure to give some points to 'O Fantasma' which holds a special place in my heart.

Anyways, I plan to stay around this time and thought it might be reasonable to reintroduce myself. I changed my ICM name to 'Joschi' where you can find me now. Either name is fine, though I go by Josh in real life.

Happy to meet you all!
Josh
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Welcome, Josh. Nice to have you back and active so many years after joining. Glad you found us again.

The discuss-forum is more like a helpdesk of iCM. It is the "official" forum of iCM. You can simply post bugs, offer suggestions, get updates of lists under the attention of the mods, ask for help, etc...
This forum right here is the same as you signed up at many years ago. It's "unofficial" meaning the owner of iCM had no saying at this forum at all. He has an account, but rarely comes here. Most moderators of iCM (like me) are active members here, though, so if you address something here, it will be picked up.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Welcome back Josh :)

Thanks again for all your work on the Vogel list. We'll finish sorting it out sometime this year :P
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Hi there, Quartoxuma!

I was immediately drawn to how you express yourself while reading through your recent posts on Vogel. Lovely to read of your being drawn back to the board after those years away.
That's all, folks!
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Welcome back Josh

Nice introduction as well
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Hey Josh, pleased to officially meet ya! :cheers:
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Welcome back, Josh. Certainly one of the most intruiging new member posts do far. Looking forward to hearing your takes on (subversive) films.
Quartoxuma

Post by Quartoxuma »

Thank you all for the nice words! And looking forward to future discussions!
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

I used to be a film addict back in the old IMDB days under the name "miura88", I cut back on films thanks to real life and wanting to learn other things, to become a more knowledgeable, more-rounded individual (still working on that). After the IMDB forums went down and they changed the log-in process I somehow managed to delete my old account and lost all my old ratings, it was quite a blow, akin to losing old memories. To counter this setback I created a new ICM account and start checking off all the films I could remember, I've mostly spent the last few years rewatching old favourites to see if they hold up, I've hardly seen anything from the 2010s (I blame "Wolf of Wall Street"),I didn't even know the site had a forum until quite recently, thus here I am ready to meet new friends and some old acquaintances; I recognise a couple names from the old IMDB days.

Some of my favourite films are Providence (1977), Spirit of the Beehive, Madame de.., Les Vampires, Tokyo Story, Mirror, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Celine and Julie go Boating, L'Eclisse and Chinatown.

Really wish I'd found this forum sooner, anyway I'm glad to be here and look forward to stealing all your film knowledge for world domination discussing cinema with everyone here.
clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey »

Welcome Roland, love your profile picture
Quartoxuma

Post by Quartoxuma »

RolandKirkSunglasses wrote: January 16th, 2021, 11:12 am I used to be a film addict back in the old IMDB days under the name "miura88", I cut back on films thanks to real life and wanting to learn other things, to become a more knowledgeable, more-rounded individual (still working on that). After the IMDB forums went down and they changed the log-in process I somehow managed to delete my old account and lost all my old ratings, it was quite a blow, akin to losing old memories. To counter this setback I created a new ICM account and start checking off all the films I could remember, I've mostly spent the last few years rewatching old favourites to see if they hold up, I've hardly seen anything from the 2010s (I blame "Wolf of Wall Street"),I didn't even know the site had a forum until quite recently, thus here I am ready to meet new friends and some old acquaintances; I recognise a couple names from the old IMDB days.

Some of my favourite films are Providence (1977), Spirit of the Beehive, Madame de.., Les Vampires, Tokyo Story, Mirror, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Celine and Julie go Boating, L'Eclisse and Chinatown.

Really wish I'd found this forum sooner, anyway I'm glad to be here and look forward to stealing all your film knowledge for world domination discussing cinema with everyone here.
Hey RolandKirkSunglasses,

what about 'Wolf of Wall Street' made you stay away from other 2010s releases?

Also, welcome to the forum!
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I'm also interested as to why. I imagine it's something to do with it being a political satire.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

Roland welcome and those are some of my favourites too.
RolandKirkSunglasses

Quartoxuma wrote: January 16th, 2021, 2:27 pm Hey RolandKirkSunglasses,

what about 'Wolf of Wall Street' made you stay away from other 2010s releases?

Also, welcome to the forum!
I was dissatisfied with the films of the early 2010s, they didn't click with me for some reason, one of the few brightspots left was one of my favourite directors Martin Scorsese. Loved Raging Bull, King of Comedy, Taxi Driver and Goodfellas, even his subpar films have some interesting things going for them. "Wolf of Wall Street" felt like a one-dimensional rehash of his rise-and-fall movies aimed at younger people (a demographic I no longer belong to). All the partying and debauchery scenes went on far too long and got really boring really fast, characters were flat and uninteresting too, I didn't find it funny either, just a monotonous drag.

I was getting bored of new releases and thinking about focusing on older films more to my tastes, "Wolf of Wall Street" merely precipitated that decision. The 2010s were a tough time for me personally, movie watching slipped down my list of priorities.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Welcome RolandKirkSunglasses!

I don't think there'll be much overlap between our tastes (the 2010s have been my main focal point for the past decade - a good 40% of my overall votes), but always good to see new people .

:cheers:
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Roland, can I assume your name is a reference to this man?
RolandKirkSunglasses

blocho wrote: January 16th, 2021, 4:49 pm Roland, can I assume your name is a reference to this man?
You assume correctly. Not many musicians can play the recorder with their nose or play 3 saxophones at the same time, being blind makes this performance all the more insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WZIm2Yvmtc
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

RolandKirkSunglasses wrote: January 16th, 2021, 11:12 am I used to be a film addict back in the old IMDB days under the name "miura88", I cut back on films thanks to real life and wanting to learn other things, to become a more knowledgeable, more-rounded individual (still working on that). After the IMDB forums went down and they changed the log-in process I somehow managed to delete my old account and lost all my old ratings, it was quite a blow, akin to losing old memories. To counter this setback I created a new ICM account and start checking off all the films I could remember, I've mostly spent the last few years rewatching old favourites to see if they hold up, I've hardly seen anything from the 2010s (I blame "Wolf of Wall Street"),I didn't even know the site had a forum until quite recently, thus here I am ready to meet new friends and some old acquaintances; I recognise a couple names from the old IMDB days.

Hey Roland,
that's a nice introduction, interesting to get so much background! Even if you're not that active in watching anymore, be sure that your collected knowledge and film experience doesn't get forgotten :thumbsup:

We run the poll for the official list of community favorites below 400 checks aka 500<400 in this forum, too bad you just missed it in September. The according thread to it is quite spectacular! :o

Right now, and running for two more weeks, we have an (unofficial, so not adopted) iteration going which is even more obscure: Favorite films below 50 checks - maybe you can reach in nominations there, too? (With what is left :) )

Also,

Quartoxuma wrote: January 15th, 2021, 6:14 pm Anyways, I plan to stay around this time and thought it might be reasonable to reintroduce myself. I changed my ICM name to 'Joschi' where you can find me now. Either name is fine, though I go by Josh in real life.
Hi, Josh!
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Can't go wrong with Celine and Julie, Mirror and Tokyo Story. Welcome, Roland!
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Cippenham wrote: January 16th, 2021, 2:41 pm Roland welcome and those are some of my favourites too.
this is worrying
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I can't even begin to imagine the mess if I lost my IMDb account, especially if I didn't have my viewings saved anywhere else. My condolences (not sure you love making lists as much as myself or some people here, but IMDb is probably my key resource there).

Mirror is on my shortlist too. Got to rewatch it on the big screen 5 years ago and it was incredible, and I love Providence (and Resnais up until the 80s in general), Chinatown, Celine and Julie, Madame De ..., etc. Great line-up.

Who would you say are your favourite directors?
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Welcome !

I saw The Mirror first about 10 years ago when I was 16 and while I saw some beauty in it, the lack of storytelling was bothering me and I don't think I even finished the movie because of that. It must've been my first Tarkovsky.

Last summer, in the short span the cinemas were open, I saw the restored version and had the whole cinema to myself bar 2 other people. It was simply amazing and it flew by so fast. I really hope I ever get to rewatch Stalker on the big screen as that is still my favorite Tarkovsky I've seen until now.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?