Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Welcome to all the new members! let's all introduce ourselves here!

Obgeoff

Re: Welcome to all the new members! let's all introduce ourselves here!

Post by Obgeoff » May 29th, 2019, 9:58 am

Hi all, cinephile based in Ireland. Been on icheckmovies for some time - same username. Have only resumed daily movie watching this year. Work, study and small child meant last three years that I didn't see much.

Difficult to get to a cinema so now catching up on film history. Current project is going through the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They main list in chronological order of my unwatched.

Directors wise Ozu, Dreyer, Murnau, Kurosawa, Lubitsch, Melville, Akerman, Malick and Renoir come to mind. I like the Berlin School and Paul Thomas Anderson amongst many others of those working today.

Slightly intimidated by the knowledge levels here but enjoyed lurking recently so looking forward to engaging with you all.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » May 29th, 2019, 10:40 am

Hello, and welcome! Please do stick around!

Don't feel too intimidated. For the most part, this is a very welcoming community. It was well established before I joined in, and felt similar at first.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » May 29th, 2019, 10:54 am

Hi, Obgeoff! I hope you have a wonderful time here! Sounds to me like you fit right in.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 29th, 2019, 11:31 am

jal90 wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:55 pm
There's not much I can offer right now, but I made this top50 in Letterboxd a while ago (all of these are at least great). A lot of them are actually fairly well-known I think, like Ghiblies, Satoshi Kon, Ghost in the shell, Your name, etc. but I'd strongly recommend stuff like the Sunao Katabuchi movies (even the one that didn't make the list is very charming), Night on the galactic railroad (a personal favorite), Kayoko's diary (very unknown and one of the best anime WWII movies after Grave of the fireflies) or Chie the brat (one of the best, and least seen in the West, of the late Isao Takahata).
Ah, a fellow anime fan with a taste for more mature work. This forum could definitely use a couple of those :)
Kayoko's Diary looks pretty interesting, definitely will be keeping an eye out for that one.

For my own recommendations, here's my list of favorite animations. Not all anime, but the bigger part of the list is Japanese.

Welcome!

jal90

Post by jal90 » May 29th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 11:31 am
jal90 wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:55 pm
There's not much I can offer right now, but I made this top50 in Letterboxd a while ago (all of these are at least great). A lot of them are actually fairly well-known I think, like Ghiblies, Satoshi Kon, Ghost in the shell, Your name, etc. but I'd strongly recommend stuff like the Sunao Katabuchi movies (even the one that didn't make the list is very charming), Night on the galactic railroad (a personal favorite), Kayoko's diary (very unknown and one of the best anime WWII movies after Grave of the fireflies) or Chie the brat (one of the best, and least seen in the West, of the late Isao Takahata).
Ah, a fellow anime fan with a taste for more mature work. This forum could definitely use a couple of those :)
Kayoko's Diary looks pretty interesting, definitely will be keeping an eye out for that one.

For my own recommendations, here's my list of favorite animations. Not all anime, but the bigger part of the list is Japanese.

Welcome!
Thanks! I like to think my taste is varied, just not that much into the sci-fi/dystopian kind that seems the immediate alternative for people who want to explore anime (more into slice of life as said in the anime thread). But there's many I enjoyed and there's many I look forward to watch from that genre as well.

That's a really good list, some stuff I didn't even know and a lot of arthouse that was just barely on my radar but I didn't have references for. You have a quite interesting taste!

Edit.- Agdkdkfk I didn't read the previous messages. Welcome to the board, Obgeoff!
Last edited by jal90 on May 29th, 2019, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 29th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Really happy to have you onboard, Obgeoff! Going through TSPDT is (if you enjoy most of what you have seen so far) extremely rewarding - even though a lot of the stragglers will be films you may have had no interest in exploring. Feel free to share your experiences in the last movie seen thread, the film lounge, or your own thread(s) - there are no rules, and you can open as many threads as you want - for any topic. ;)

What are your favorite Berlin School films? I have seen extremely few recent German films.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 29th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Welcome, Obgeoff! When your small child gets a little less small, you can look for good kiddie films - Ireland is a good place to start.

Here's our recent forum list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... en/mjf314/
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 29th, 2019, 9:52 pm

jal90 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 1:01 pm
Thanks! I like to think my taste is varied, just not that much into the sci-fi/dystopian kind that seems the immediate alternative for people who want to explore anime (more into slice of life as said in the anime thread). But there's many I enjoyed and there's many I look forward to watch from that genre as well.

That's a really good list, some stuff I didn't even know and a lot of arthouse that was just barely on my radar but I didn't have references for. You have a quite interesting taste!
Thanks! Seeing you liked Night On the Galactic Railroad, I would definitely recommend Spring & Chaos. And if you want to start checking stuff, I can recommend the Paste Anime list on ICM, it has a very strong selection of films.
Also kudos for including Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou in your list, that (mini)series is such a breath of fresh air. Will definitely be checking the titles from your list I haven't seen yet. Good anime feature film recommendations are hard to come by :)

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » May 29th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Thank you for the welcoming.

St. Gloede, in terms of the Berlin school, my top ten would be:
1. Longing (Grisebach)
2. Sleeper (Heisenberg)
3. A Fine Day (Arslan)
4. Passing Summer (Schanelec)
5. The Forest for the Trees (Ade)
6. Afternoon (Schanelec)
7. The Robber (Heisenberg)
8. Bungalow (Kohler)
9. Yella (Petzold)
10. Marseille (Schanelec)

I'm behind on watching their more recent releases though - I haven't seen Western or Toni Erdmann for instance.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » May 30th, 2019, 5:41 am

Obgeoff wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:10 pm
Thank you for the welcoming.

St. Gloede, in terms of the Berlin school, my top ten would be:
1. Longing (Grisebach)
2. Sleeper (Heisenberg)
3. A Fine Day (Arslan)
4. Passing Summer (Schanelec)
5. The Forest for the Trees (Ade)
6. Afternoon (Schanelec)
7. The Robber (Heisenberg)
8. Bungalow (Kohler)
9. Yella (Petzold)
10. Marseille (Schanelec)

I'm behind on watching their more recent releases though - I haven't seen Western or Toni Erdmann for instance.
Thank you, not seen any of the films on your list (though I did see Western and Toni Erdmann :lol: ). I will watch Longing this week and let you know what I think (that should make Cinewest happy too, he has been recommending Longing loudly ever since Western blew up).