Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Most Prolific Film Viewers

blueboybob
Donator

Most Prolific Film Viewers

Post by blueboybob »

I was trying to see "Who has seen the most movies". And I know its probably not possible to know, but I thought "Why not start with film Critics"

Roger Ebert says he has seen 10,000 movies over the last 25 years (in 2016). -- https://www.rogerebert.com/roger-ebert/ ... old%20film.

The Guinness World Record holder (hate Guinness) says Gwilym Hughes (2008) has seen more than 28,000 movies. -- https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-11066 ... 0%20movies.

The record for movies watched in a single year is 1132 -- https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wo ... 6962768533
That has to be ajoke. I am sure many of us on this forum can and have beat that. Which is why I hate Guinness

Most seen in the cinema in a year is 715 -- https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/ne ... 15%20films.

So what are your thoughts? Armoreska with 46796 (is that all movies checked)?
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Not to be a stickler, but I don't think Roger Ebert said that in 2016. :P The article was written in 1992.

10,000 in 25 years honestly isn't too much. That's 400 movies a year. I guess it's a lot for someone as busy as him, but I know that with some commitment, I can blow way past that number in a decade. I'm unemployed due to disability, however, so the standards are different.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

I've often wondered that myself and Guinness is simply bollocks.

Maggie watched 138 films in January, 190 in February, 129 in March, 126 in April, 77 May, 140 June, 109 in July, 57 August, 74 in September, 22 in October, 36 in November and 34 in December which totals 1.132 movies.

From following challenges alone I think blueboybob, flavo5000, sol and jdidaco easily got past this number.

Eberts record is impressive, we now live in a time where a different movie is always immediately available. Still, it's nothing unheard of.

The cinema record is the most impressive to me to be fair, Having approximately 2 watches/day wouldn't be for me , at least not in a cinema.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

On MovieMeter the one with most ratings had around 29k ratings before the site included shorts.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Coryn wrote: January 7th, 2021, 8:51 pm From following challenges alone I think blueboybob, flavo5000, sol and jdidaco easily got past this number.
Yeah, but one of the criteria to get into the book is probably to watch them legally :D
blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob »

Watched legally!

Obtained? I plead the fifth.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

We'll never know the real record. There was some obsessive out there at some point who surpassed even the obsessives we have on this forum. That person spent 70 years averaging four or five or six movies per day. The real record must be over 100,000. The extremes of human behavior are remarkable.
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

I have watched about 1 Million films if you include (re-watches) of commercials on TV.
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

blocho wrote: January 7th, 2021, 9:20 pm We'll never know the real record. There was some obsessive out there at some point who surpassed even the obsessives we have on this forum. That person spent 70 years averaging four or five or six movies per day. The real record must be over 100,000. The extremes of human behavior are remarkable.
I think there are people on iCM (possibly on this forum) averaging 5/6.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

flavo often wins challenges with 200+ films, getting close to 300 even.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

How did they follow how many movies she watched by the way ?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

AdamH wrote: January 7th, 2021, 9:48 pm
blocho wrote: January 7th, 2021, 9:20 pm We'll never know the real record. There was some obsessive out there at some point who surpassed even the obsessives we have on this forum. That person spent 70 years averaging four or five or six movies per day. The real record must be over 100,000. The extremes of human behavior are remarkable.
But each and every single day? For decades, for their whole lives?
And what would this person's opinion on Hababam be? :D

Same re: flavo - he doesn't freak out on every challenge consecutively, he surely needs to take a break in between .. right? :woot:
Last edited by Torgo on January 7th, 2021, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tourdesb

Post by tourdesb »

Torgo wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:06 pm
AdamH wrote: January 7th, 2021, 9:48 pm
But each and every single day? For decades, for their whole lives?
And what would this person's opinion on Hababam be? :D

Same re: flavo - he doesn't freak out on every challenge consecutively, he surely needs to take a brake in between .. right? :woot:
Last year flavo did over 200 on at least 7 challenges and over 100 on at least 8 more.
Image Image Image
blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob »

OK, dont count challenges. I for example often watch triples and doubles.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

blueboybob wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:40 pm OK, dont count challenges. I for example often watch triples and doubles.
All on quadruple speed :hug:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

AdamH wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:29 pm
blueboybob wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:40 pm OK, dont count challenges. I for example often watch triples and doubles.
All on quadruple speed :hug:
:cheers:

I'm going to enter a hot dog eating contest, and I'm going to win it by eating one bite each out of a thousand hot dogs.
blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob »

I am not going to defend myself in yet another thread. Y'all can believe whatever y'all want to believe.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

blueboybob wrote: January 7th, 2021, 7:45 pm So what are your thoughts? Armoreska with 46796 (is that all movies checked)?
I wish. Been stuck at around <10K for years which i consider pedestrian. My profile page has the breakdown.
That reminds me, must get back to the movie!
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

blueboybob wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:39 pm I am not going to defend myself in yet another thread. Y'all can believe whatever y'all want to believe.
I was trying to make a joke (building on what I assumed was a joke by you). I literally have no interest in challenge leaderboards.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Ok, I'm really sorry but I completely misunderstood this post. I don't follow the challenge threads at all. Peaceful has just explained to me what doubles/triples means in the context of challenges.

I thought you were purposely making a joke in saying that you watch two or three films at once in challenges ("doubles" or "triples"). I thought you were building on the previous conversations by making an exaggerated jokey post (as obviously you don't watch two or three films at once). I then tried to continue that joke by making another exaggerated and jokey post (that obviously wasn't true) to say you watch films on quadruple speed (which is obviously impossible).

Apologies for any confusion caused. I am not interested in the challenge leaderboard saga, I thought we were both making a jokey post about challenges.