Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

Twenty twenty-one (2021)

xianjiro
Donator

Twenty twenty-one (2021)

Post by xianjiro »

It's official! Here's the celebrations from New Zealand.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

So now that most of us are into our second or even third day of Twenty twenty-one, how's it going and what are you hoping for this coming year?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Call me a cynic, but I don't value all this "new year stuff". We circled another time around the sun, hooray, good job everybody! But it's not even like the 1st of January is at a meaningful point in that circle. Why don't we celebrate new year at the 21st of December, the shortest day on the northern hemisphere? Would make much more sense.
I don't plan special things at the start of a year as well. If I want to change anything or do something important or special, any day is as good as the other to do so.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

After over a week of driving myself insane wrestling with it, I'm about to Leeroy Jenkins headfirst into the biggest decision I've ever made. It's either going to pay off immensely or ruin the rest of my year and possibly more. We'll see.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Well, I tend to prefer NY to Consumption Mass, but that's just me. Still, I gave up NY resolutions, for instance, years ago when I realized that if a change is worth making, it's worth making right now. I don't need to do resolutions to feel like I'm one of the gang.

But in terms of a new start or whatever - again, realized that's basically meaningless. We don't live in a country where debts end at Midnight, nor are grudges necessarily forgiven. In eastern cultures with such traditions, I can see how it's a somewhat more momentous day. But honestly, it's just an excuse to party and there's always been football in the US - but that goes for Thanksgiving through NYD.

Have to wonder what Kong's big decision is though ...

I have little to no expectations for 2021 except a continuation of the rabid insanity that seems to plague the connected world. I still predict it will be a long year, much like 2020, dominated by the pandemic and bad politicians. Woohoo. Can hardly wait.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Well, I'm trying. Waiting sucks. Didn't accomplish much in 2021 so far other than taking two days to watch Tenet. I had to start it over this afternoon because I didn't pay enough attention yesterday.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

This year is the final year of my master's and I have a thesis and internship to get through. I'm looking forward to, and scared of, finishing up my studies in November. My boyfriend is also starting a FIFO job (though not entirely FIFO) so I'm probably not going to see much of him this year either. Probably gonna be pretty stressful so I'm going to enjoy my summer break while I can.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

joachimt wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 7:10 pm Call me a cynic, but I don't value all this "new year stuff". We circled another time around the sun, hooray, good job everybody! But it's not even like the 1st of January is at a meaningful point in that circle. Why don't we celebrate new year at the 21st of December, the shortest day on the northern hemisphere? Would make much more sense.
I don't plan special things at the start of a year as well. If I want to change anything or do something important or special, any day is as good as the other to do so.
yep. or use something like the Iranian calendar.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

xianjiro wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 1:09 am it's just an excuse to party
This.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

kongs_speech wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:28 pm After over a week of driving myself insane wrestling with it, I'm about to Leeroy Jenkins headfirst into the biggest decision I've ever made. It's either going to pay off immensely or ruin the rest of my year and possibly more. We'll see.
xianjiro wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 1:09 am Have to wonder what Kong's big decision is though ...
I know! He's going to watch Hababam Sınıfı! :circle:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Lammetje wrote: January 4th, 2021, 10:54 am
kongs_speech wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:28 pm After over a week of driving myself insane wrestling with it, I'm about to Leeroy Jenkins headfirst into the biggest decision I've ever made. It's either going to pay off immensely or ruin the rest of my year and possibly more. We'll see.
xianjiro wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 1:09 am Have to wonder what Kong's big decision is though ...
I know! He's going to watch Hababam Sınıfı! :circle:
I want to watch Hababam Sınıfı - I just haven't been able to find it! :circle:
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Still haven't heard from my friends. Still living in purgatory. Still listening to a ton of Elliott Smith every day, which to be fair, was happening long before this recent nerve-racking dilemma.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

xianjiro wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 1:09 am Well, I tend to prefer NY to Consumption Mass, but that's just me. Still, I gave up NY resolutions, for instance, years ago when I realized that if a change is worth making, it's worth making right now. I don't need to do resolutions to feel like I'm one of the gang.
You know you've lived in the US for too long when you read it as "I tend to prefer New York to Consumption Massachusetts, but that's just me" - or is it just me?
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Plans didn't work out. That's okay, I'm not upset about it at all. I'll just keep plugging ahead with my other plans for the year.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Knaldskalle wrote: January 5th, 2021, 8:17 pm
xianjiro wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 1:09 am Well, I tend to prefer NY to Consumption Mass, but that's just me. Still, I gave up NY resolutions, for instance, years ago when I realized that if a change is worth making, it's worth making right now. I don't need to do resolutions to feel like I'm one of the gang.
You know you've lived in the US for too long when you read it as "I tend to prefer New York to Consumption Massachusetts, but that's just me" - or is it just me?
I had to read that twice to disconfirm what you said. :lol:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

maxwelldeux wrote: January 6th, 2021, 6:53 am
Knaldskalle wrote: January 5th, 2021, 8:17 pm
I had to read that twice to disconfirm what you said. :lol:
Next year I'll try to remember and call Mass of Great Consumption
or Great Mass of Consumption
or Great Mass of Great Consumption
Would that help?

Now all we need is a modern day Mozart to write the soundtrack...

:sleeping: