Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Forum Maintenance.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:39 pm Is it fixed now?

Note: Flat style should be good but the other three have column display issues going on on the right side. I'm working on that.
Working for me too :)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

xianjiro wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:25 am btw, the collapse of the dark style yields even more bizarre results

That's what it was before I fixed it, it shouldn't look like that anymore.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:23 am
xianjiro wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:06 am I edited my last post, probably as you were posting your screenshot
OK, how is it now. Also I changed the post font back since it wasn't solving joachim's issue anyway.
I believe we are back where we started (before the maintenance) and that seems like "all good" to me.

web design has always been a bitch - if one cares how things look - but once CSS took hold, UGH! That's when I gave up. I feel for you! But also thanks for putting in so much effort to get it working again. :cheers:

I'll change settings to dark and see if it's working correctly now too.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:27 am
xianjiro wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:25 am btw, the collapse of the dark style yields even more bizarre results
That's what it was before I fixed it, it shouldn't look like that anymore.
yeah - it's working now, but needed to <ctrl> + F5 to get the fixed page.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Not sure what to call this, but if you make a reply while someone else is posting, it's quite easy to miss that interloping message. I think, by keeping a tab open with the message to which I'm replying open and composing in a second tab, I don't often miss such posts, but I clearly still do. While it's probably a 'flaw' in the underlying phpBB software, I wonder if anyone's thought about it and made a bug report to them. While I very occasionally use some other forums that use the software, this is the only one on which I'm "active" and have seen this happen way more than a handful of times. And, btw, this is somehow getting around the post review interregnum, but I'd have to say it happens way too often to be explained by exactly simultaneous hitting of the submit button.

Odd little annoyance this.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:36 am Dark theme was actually my main theme for a couple of years until I switched to prosilver or flat a few months ago for reasons I can't recall.
Might be because some people like to use the color picker to pimp their messages. And most of the colors don't really work on both black and white. I noticed it on some of my older posts, where I used dark blue to accentuate some lines. It's virtually unreadable in the black theme.

Hard to solve though I'm afraid.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

xianjiro wrote: December 31st, 2020, 11:34 am Not sure what to call this, but if you make a reply while someone else is posting, it's quite easy to miss that interloping message. I think, by keeping a tab open with the message to which I'm replying open and composing in a second tab, I don't often miss such posts, but I clearly still do. While it's probably a 'flaw' in the underlying phpBB software, I wonder if anyone's thought about it and made a bug report to them. While I very occasionally use some other forums that use the software, this is the only one on which I'm "active" and have seen this happen way more than a handful of times. And, btw, this is somehow getting around the post review interregnum, but I'd have to say it happens way too often to be explained by exactly simultaneous hitting of the submit button.

For me, if I try to post and someone's posted in the meantime, it will automatically go to preview mode and give me a message in red text saying something along the lines of "someone has posted something you may have missed." I can read see all of the intervening posts above a preview of my own message, and I can edit my post or click submit again and post it.
PeacefulAnarchy

Onderhond wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:59 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:36 am Dark theme was actually my main theme for a couple of years until I switched to prosilver or flat a few months ago for reasons I can't recall.
Might be because some people like to use the color picker to pimp their messages. And most of the colors don't really work on both black and white. I noticed it on some of my older posts, where I used dark blue to accentuate some lines. It's virtually unreadable in the black theme.

Hard to solve though I'm afraid.
That wasn't the reason, I don't think whatever my reason was was even related to dark mode, I switched for *reason* and then just didn't switch back. But yeah, font colour issues from people using the colour picker was an obvious drawback by day 2. Fixing it would probably require going into the parser and making it tag those colours and the somehow making the theme flip them on dark theme, well beyond what I'm willing/able to do.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:10 pm
xianjiro wrote: December 31st, 2020, 11:34 am Not sure what to call this, but if you make a reply while someone else is posting, it's quite easy to miss that interloping message. I think, by keeping a tab open with the message to which I'm replying open and composing in a second tab, I don't often miss such posts, but I clearly still do. While it's probably a 'flaw' in the underlying phpBB software, I wonder if anyone's thought about it and made a bug report to them. While I very occasionally use some other forums that use the software, this is the only one on which I'm "active" and have seen this happen way more than a handful of times. And, btw, this is somehow getting around the post review interregnum, but I'd have to say it happens way too often to be explained by exactly simultaneous hitting of the submit button.

For me, if I try to post and someone's posted in the meantime, it will automatically go to preview mode and give me a message in red text saying something along the lines of "someone has posted something you may have missed." I can read see all of the intervening posts above a preview of my own message, and I can edit my post or click submit again and post it.
This for me, though not always. Seems like a function that has come and gone over time. Not a big deal to me though and I can easily open another window and refresh if I want to make sure my post isn't redundant or something (like when posting in the current knockout).
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Funnily enough, it just happened to me. This is what I get:

I think the "warning" notice at the top used to be bold and in dark red, but I don't rightly recall.
PeacefulAnarchy

The feature is still turned on and I wouldn't even know where to go to change how it behaves, the only control panel option is to turn it on or off per forum.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 31st, 2020, 7:11 pm Funnily enough, it just happened to me. This is what I get:
Spoiler
I think the "warning" notice at the top used to be bold and in dark red, but I don't rightly recall.
I found the other error message I receive in red. This is the one I get when I have the edit window open too long before trying to Preview or Submit.

No, it's not broken, just sharing :)
PeacefulAnarchy

Huh, how long did that take? I don't think I've ever seen that.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:58 am Huh, how long did that take? I don't think I've ever seen that.
I sometimes leave post open overnight, which was the case in this instance. But I've noticed it for shorter periods of time.... maybe an hour?
PeacefulAnarchy

Is just since the upgrade? I've definitely had posts open multiple hours before. Although maybe they always pop up the other message about new posts first instead.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

No, as far as I can remember it's been like that since we switched to this board.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 5:45 am No, as far as I can remember it's been like that since we switched to this board.
I get that from time to time when submitting a post that I've had open for a long time. Resubmit and no problem. :shrug:
PeacefulAnarchy

Fergenaprido wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:18 am Thanks for all the work PA and providing us with updates.

One thing I want to check is this:

I thought that the massive space above the text, equal to the height of profile info at the left, was related to the updates, but it doesn't seem like others are having the same issue based on max's screenshot in my screenshot, even though we appear to be using the same theme. Is there some setting I need to reenable to get rid of that empty space?
Fixed this. It still shows up if you somehow browse at 30%, but all other zooms should be good.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Thank you PA. Yes, it's fixed on my end as well. :)
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

did forum maintenance affect the photos not displaying on things like FotW pages?
viewtopic.php?p=683603#p683603
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

xianjiro wrote: January 10th, 2021, 7:44 pm did forum maintenance affect the photos not displaying on things like FotW pages?
I still see the pic. What's wrong?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

When creating a post, didn't the table function used to bring up a drop down graph that you could select the number of rows and columns to start your table with? Or was this on the old forum and I never noticed the change? Right now clicking on 'table' only brings up

Code: Select all

[table][/table]
Which makes it quite tedious, having to create a table from scratch.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 10th, 2021, 7:52 pm When creating a post, didn't the table function used to bring up a drop down graph that you could select the number of rows and columns to start your table with? Or was this on the old forum and I never noticed the change? Right now clicking on 'table' only brings up

Code: Select all

[table][/table]
Which makes it quite tedious, having to create a table from scratch.
Yeah, that was the old forum. Now, use the combo of Table, tr, and td functions for the table, rows, and cells, respectively.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

joachimt wrote: January 10th, 2021, 7:51 pm
xianjiro wrote: January 10th, 2021, 7:44 pm did forum maintenance affect the photos not displaying on things like FotW pages?
I still see the pic. What's wrong?
not sure exactly what you're asking, but this is what I see

btw: imgur is now requiring whitelisting for ad blockers to continue so I won't be using them any longer
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I see the picture at the place where you see the broken image symbol.
Anyone else with the same problem as xianjiro?
ICM-profile
PeacefulAnarchy

It's probably that https thing that finally caught up to xianjiro. I'm actually going to be fixing that later today. That said, it'll still happen if people post other non https images. It's a browser thing.
PeacefulAnarchy

xianjiro wrote: January 10th, 2021, 8:23 pm btw: imgur is now requiring whitelisting for ad blockers to continue so I won't be using them any longer
Yeah, imgur has gone down the toilet of ad invasion in the past 6months-year. I think https://imgbb.com/ is the new rec.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Okay, thanks max.

And yes, I see the same broken image symbol as xianjiro.
PeacefulAnarchy

currently trying to fix the image server. It's kinda working but not quite, movie images are currently down but I'll get them back up shortly.

Hmmm, I'm getting conflicting info, maybe it just needs some time. I'll check back in an hour and see what's happening. Everything looks ok on the server.

Edit2: Images are back to working as before, need to set up SSL so they don't get blocked as above, but ran into issues. Should be fixable though.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

Sorry if it has already been addressed here, but would it be possible to have spoiler warnings look again the way they looked before? My issue with them is that there is no way anymore to use spoiler tags without creating significant gaps before and after, inevitably making the whole thing look like a separate paragraph when this isn't the intention at all.

Example, the crappy present:

Example, the good old past:

We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

yeah, while I didn't have anything to point to like ^, I knew they weren't as washed out as they are now. I've gotten used to the new look, but clearly prefer the old style to the current implementation.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

I don't mind the extra space as much as PdA (although I do prefer the old look). I do find though that I sometimes miss spoilers. They appear as a white box, rather than the blue-grey they used to have.
That's all, folks!
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: January 11th, 2021, 3:08 am currently trying to fix the image server. It's kinda working but not quite, movie images are currently down but I'll get them back up shortly.

Hmmm, I'm getting conflicting info, maybe it just needs some time. I'll check back in an hour and see what's happening. Everything looks ok on the server.

Edit2: Images are back to working as before, need to set up SSL so they don't get blocked as above, but ran into issues. Should be fixable though.
Hi PA,
Was this fixed or explaining the issue I am having there ?
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I also have that issue, hurlu. I can see most of the other images that get posted on the forum now, but still not the FOTW ones. I never made the changes mentioned in this thread, because I thought that the eventual fix PA implemented would rectify everything.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

That's weird. I'm using the same urls as in the 500<400 results.
ICM-profile
PeacefulAnarchy

Yeah I ran into some issues and didn't finish fixing the image thing. Today is catch up on forum stuff day for me, so hopefully I can get that done. It shouldn't take long,

For the spoiler thing, I can probably fix that, but probably not today.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

The members list are now sorted by the date they joined. Used to be by number of posts. That’s okay I guess, but it feels weird that a user with zero posts are the first to pop up.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

yeah though I also found the old way a bit annoying when I was trying to find someone's nick so I could send a PM. I think part of the problem is there are more than a few accounts listed that haven't posted, in a long time, if ever?

But date joined isn't going to help when we want to find someone by their nick. But I'm an old fashioned, alpha-numeric sort kinda guy.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

That's the default sort (which I guess is what's changed). You can sort the members by clicking on any of the column headers (USERNAME, RANK, POSTS, etc.).
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

in scrolling down to find this thread, I found four instances of this new problem which I first noticed yesterday. It seems to heal itself when the browser is maximized. Widening the browser does seem to fix some of the overlaps, and it seems to somehow be related to word wrap.